Jump to content
    Headstall
  • Author
  • 5,373 Words
  • 8,395 Views
  • 49 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Cards on the Table - 48. Chapter 48 A New Player at the Table

Player substitution.

Cards on the Table

 

 

Chapter 48

 

 

Holy moly, Bodie was handsome. Nate watched the nurse walk him down the hallway, situated at the back of the waiting room. Just before he disappeared from sight, Bodie turned and flashed a heart-stopping smile at him. That one little act made him feel special in a way that was new to him. To be the recipient of such a gesture made him flush with pleasure as he slouched down to wait.

It was confusing, this jumble of emotions he was experiencing. There was no doubt about it. Bodie was the most beautiful person he had ever come face to face with. Nate remembered the crush he used to have on his Uncle Kendall. It was Christmas, two years ago, that the difference he sometimes felt, became a certainty. He liked guys. He was twelve then, and could still recall the funny feeling that grew in the pit of his stomach whenever the golden-haired Kendall, his uncle’s long-time best friend, was near. He’d had it before, here and there, but never with girls, and never as strong as it was that Christmas. It scared him and exhilarated him at the same time. Back then, he'd thought nobody on earth was better looking than Kendall, but now, a different golden-haired guy proved he’d been wrong.

From the moment Nate had approached the strange dog at the end of the driveway yesterday, everything changed. Looking up into the smiling blue eyes of the dog’s owner, he’d felt a connection. It was like the guy was staring into his soul. He’d read that in stories online, and thought they were just words, but those eyes made him a believer. His entire body had come alive, and all the messed-up things in his head he'd been trying not to think about, just went away. If there was someone like Bodie standing beside him, it wouldn’t matter what those small-minded bigots in Edmonton said or did. As nervous as Bodie made him, there was also a feeling of peace, and he wasn’t sure what that meant.

Looking out the medical clinic window, he could see his Uncle Mike sitting on the solitary bench, obviously talking to Uncle Kendall. Those two were really something to watch. It was like getting a lesson in love, and Nate drank it all in. He wanted that… what they had… someday. He could see now how very possible it was, and he was going to hold on to the hope it gave him.

His mood darkened as thoughts surfaced about the previous week with his father. The reaction he’d gotten had made him feel wrong, but Nate knew change was out of the question. If being gay meant there was something wrong with him, then there was something wrong with him. Trying to fix it wouldn’t work… that he was sure of.

After Josh had rejected even their friendship, he’d seen only one way out. Nate shook his head and shuddered at what he’d almost done. He'd been so close. Nobody knew about the box-cutter, taken from his dad’s workshop. It was likely still hidden in the bottom drawer of his desk. He’d learned exactly how to do it… straight up the vein, and not across. Fortunately, no one had noticed the little slice the razor-sharp blade had made. Well, except that Bodie had casually touched it when they were standing in line earlier. He had run his finger quickly over it while continuing to talk about Nate’s soon-to-be new school. Nate got the vibe that his friend had an inkling of what had caused it. It was now just a small red mark on the skin of his wrist, a visual reminder of something best forgotten. The reason he’d stopped was because he didn’t want his mom to have to see the blood. She hated the sight of blood. Pills were a better choice.

Nate noticed his uncle was just sitting out there now, no phone to his ear. He was tempted to go join him, but he wanted to be here when his new friend got back. Heck, maybe that was stupid, but instinct told him it would mean something to Bodie. As he pictured his face, Josh’s flickered into view, causing Nate to frown. He’d thought he loved Josh. Did he? Here it was, little more than a week after their first kiss, and Nate’s brain was almost consumed by someone he’d only met yesterday. What did that mean? Had he ever enjoyed the same connection with Josh? The hurt he felt, the damage it had done, was affecting his ability to think clearly about the question.

Uncle Mike advised him not to be mad at the only boy he’d ever kissed, and he was trying, but what Josh had done was cruel. It was like Nate’s heart had been ripped out of his chest over and over again. Sarah, and the phone message, and the way Josh had acted towards him at school. It was all too much when he was already faced with a dad he didn’t know anymore. It had made him want to die. All those special things that had been said between them had come to mean nothing. He'd been left feeling like something worse than dirt. Unbidden, tears leaked out and fell before he could catch them. He swiped at the streaks before cluing in that his uncle was standing almost in front of him.

“This seat taken?” Michael asked softly.

“What? No.” He wiped his face with his sleeve one more time before looking down, and then away. Sitting against the back wall, they had a little privacy.

“Are you doing okay? Do you want to go for a walk, and talk?” The concern in his uncle’s tone made Nate feel guilty.

“I’m okay, really. I want to be here when Bodie gets back. He shouldn’t be too much longer. He showed me his cut, and it’s not that deep. I just… I’m sorry… I was thinking about what Josh did… how he threw me away, and I know you told me I shouldn’t be mad, and I don’t think I am, but it hurts. I wonder now if he cared about me at all, and I’m even wondering how much I cared about him if I can feel this way about….” Nate stopped, knowing he’d said too much.

“About Bodie?”

It took a while before Nate turned his head towards Michael. “Yeah. How can I feel like this so quickly about someone else? Shouldn’t it take a while for me to want to, like, hang around with another guy? Not to mention he's probably straight and I’m just being an idiot." Nate slouched further down in his seat.

“Look, Nate, I know you’re hurting, and I know it’s a very real pain. You’ve gone through a heck of a lot, lost a lot, in the past week or so, but you’re only fourteen. Well, almost,” his uncle said with a grin.

Nate understood what he was attempting, but it didn’t work. He couldn’t bring himself to smile and pretend everything was fine. He was deep in thought, but he listened.

“Anyway, you’re probably going to have crushes on a few more guys before you find ‘the one’, so don’t worry about how fast you’re moving away from Josh. With affairs of the heart, there are no set rules. Do you get what I’m saying?”

Nate let out a deep breath he’d been holding. “I think so. I’ve… I’ve been thinking.”

“And?”

“I think I had a crush on Josh, my first legitimate crush, but I don’t believe I loved him… like not real love.”

“Legitimate?” Michael teased. "I guess I have to stop thinking of you as a kid. That’s a very astute thing to say, and I have no doubt you’re right, but what made you come to that conclusion so quickly?”

Nate couldn't stop himself from blushing. “Because of how I feel about Bodie. It’s different, and don’t ask me how, but it is. I never felt like this about Josh. I don’t have a crush on Bodie. It’s something more.” He looked down at his fidgeting hands. “I’m worried I’m going to be disappointed again.”

“I don’t know what to tell you, Nate, except you can’t be afraid of life.”

“What does that mean?” Nate wanted to see his uncle’s face, but he felt too much emotion at the moment, so kept his head down.

“It means you should trust what you see in Bodie’s eyes when he looks at you.”

Nate's head rose quickly. “You see it too?”

His uncle’s response was to nod, and Nate felt a little bit of hope, maybe even confidence flare up, and he let himself smile for the first time since Bodie had been ushered in to the exam room. So, he wasn’t imagining it… Uncle Mike saw the same thing? Of course, they could both be wrong. Maybe he was just a friendly guy?

“Uncle Mike?”

“Yeah, buddy?”

“Um… when did you, ah…?”

“See something going on between you two?”

“Yeah, I guess… I mean, when he looks at me, it’s almost like he’s trying to tell me something.”

“Yeah, we noticed, and you do the same thing to him, only you do it mostly when he’s not looking at you.”

“We? What do you mean, we? Did Uncle Kendall see it too?”

“Yes, but Nate, we could be off base here a little. I mean, I don’t think we are, but you have to take it slow, and see how things develop, okay? You guys just met each other… and even though we saw some pretty intense sparks you guys were giving off, the fact is… you’re young. Just relax, and let yourself be a friend. I think Bodie really needs one.”

“Why do you say that? Wait, never mind, here he comes.” Nate shivered as Bodie’s eyes went straight to him, over the shoulder of the nurse preceding him. His confidence grew in the seconds the handsome blond stared at him. It was as if he wasn’t even listening to the instructions Nate could hear her giving, as his eyes stayed on Nate. A smile spread across his face, followed by one on Bodie’s, as he left the nurse and headed towards them.

“How did it go?” Michael asked.

Bodie shifted his attention away from Nate. “Piece of cake,” he answered with a shrug. “Four real stitches and some tape ones. The doctor said it wasn’t deep, and I can get the stitches out in seven to ten days, so I’m good to go. I have to be careful about handling the puppies, though, because of infection. He said I should wear gloves over the bandage when I handle them.” He patted his pocket. “He gave me some. Let’s go shopping.” His attention returned to Nate and he smiled. “Are you ready to do some damage, Master Grant?”

Nate grinned. “Yeah, I’m ready. These chairs suck,” he complained. “Walking will be good. Are you ready, old fella?” he asked his uncle.

Michael grimaced and groaned as he pretended to struggle to stand. “I’ll try to keep up with you young whippersnappers.”

Both boys giggled as they began the fun part of their day.

At Bodie’s suggestion, ‘Hollisters’ won out as the store of choice. Nate’s heart skipped a beat at the look he received from the blonde boy when he exited the change room to get opinions on the dark blue jeans with a few strategically placed little rips and wear marks here and there.

“They look good, considering they already have holes in them,” Michael commented with a pained look that had Nate smiling. He turned his attention to the other guy standing there.

“You gotta get those, for sure, man. They fit you, um… just right,” Bodie said in earnest. “I think you should try this on with them.” He held out a tee shirt. “It’s almost the same blue as your eyes.”

After Bodie said that, Nate noticed his ears went red at the tips, and he also didn’t miss the smirk on his uncle’s face. “I don’t know. I really don’t need any shirts."

Nate felt his own blush coming. He didn’t like being the center of attention… he never had, and the way Bodie was looking at him so intently was making him feel things he shouldn’t at that moment. Why did this guy have such an effect on him? A painful memory intruded, and he saw the cold look on Josh’s face… it was the last time he’d seen him. He couldn’t imagine Bodie looking at him with that kind of disdain. It hurt to remember, but leave it to his perceptive uncle to pull him out of himself.

“Try that one on for size, and then pick a couple more colors. These are forty percent off, so they’re a good deal. This is your birthday present remember. And you need two more pairs of jeans. Look for some black ones and maybe a lighter-blue pair. Don’t just stand there… Bodie, help him pick out more jeans. Jeez, guys, wake up!”

It was exactly what Nate needed. Both boys reacted to the prodding, and quickly found more jeans for the birthday boy to try on. Bodie threw a yellow shirt at him with a grin, and his heart lurched again. “I don’t think yellow’s my color, dude.” He tossed the shirt onto the pile.

“Trust me.” Bodie threw the same shirt back. “It’ll look good.” He smiled when Nate picked it back up and put it over his arm.

“Uh uh, no more holy jeans. One pair of those is enough.” Michael put his foot down when he saw Bodie pick a pair in light blue to give to Nate. “Get some that look new, this time,” he said, and a chuckling Bodie quickly found a different style.

When Nate came out with the jeans and shirts he wanted, he noticed his uncle checking out a bright blue shirt, and figured out immediately what he was thinking. “Hey, that’s the same color as Uncle Kendall’s eyes. You should get it for him.”

“Nah, he doesn’t like a lot of writing or labels on his shirts. He likes them plain.”

“Here’s one in the same color, and it only has a little bird in the corner, and it’s hardly noticeable. There’s a darker blue one here too, the same color as the one Nate got. You should see if this one fits. It’s an extra-large.” Bodie held the shirts out to Michael and he took them.

“Okay, I’ll try this one on. Be right back, guys… behave yourselves." A scant minute later he came out in a perfectly fitted tee shirt that showed his physique to perfection. It had a v-neck, but the point wasn’t too far below his throat. While he checked it out in the full-length mirror, Bodie nudged Nate.

“Holy shit, dude,” he whispered, “that’s what you’re gonna look like in a few years. Wow.”

“I don’t think so. He works out all the time,” Nate whispered back.

“Dude, you already look like that, just younger… you have the same shape of build as him, and your face is almost identical,” Bodie whispered fiercely, causing him to blush for what seemed like the hundredth time.

Michael turned around to look at them. “What the heck are you guys whispering about?”

“Um… we think you should get the shirts,” Nate muttered, hoping his heated face wasn’t obvious.

“Yeah, we think you should get them,” Bodie said with a very serious expression. Michael shook his head at the two of them, and headed back to the change room.

 

Growing boys needed to eat, and Nate knew, with his uncle’s appetite, he’d agree. It wasn’t a big decision for them as to what to choose. Two slices of pizza and a can of coke each, and they were happy.

“After we’re finished, we need to look at shoes,” Michael mumbled around a mouthful of food.

“I don’t need shoes, and you are not spending any more money on me,” Nate said with conviction. He was determined not to let him win this one.

“You’re right, and I’m not. Kendall and I already got you your gifts. Now it’s your grandparents’ turn, or do you want to call your grams and argue?” One of his uncle’s eyebrows went up, and Nate sighed.

 

One pair of very cool hi-top basketball-style shoes later, they headed for the truck. Nate enjoyed watching Bodie’s eyes light up as the bright yellow truck came into view. He automatically picked up speed in order to match his new friend’s hurried pace.

“Shoot, dude, this is awesome,” Bodie exclaimed as he neared the vintage vehicle. “My dad would love this. Man, I love this! Oh, boy, I can’t believe we’re riding in this. I wish my friends could see….”

Nate noticed the brakes go on abruptly, as Bodie’s head seemed to duck and he went dead quiet. He looked at his uncle, who shook his head subtly.

“Okay, hop in, and we’ll go cruising around town like the cool guys we are.” Michael had smoothed over the awkward moment, and Nate was grateful. He was curious, but he wasn’t going to ask. He had his own stuff he didn’t want to talk about. In that short time, the blond head came back up, and Bodie was back to being his enthusiastic self.

“Do you want the middle or the outside?”

“I’ll take the middle I guess.” Nate said as he climbed in with his friend right behind him. Because of the stick shift, he found them in close proximity. They didn’t make trucks as big in the old days, and with his uncle’s suspiciously exaggerated gear-shifting, Nate had to press against Bodie from shoulder to calf. With the first sharp turn, Nate found himself swaying out of balance towards the left, and before he knew what was happening, Bodie had his arm around his shoulder, pulling him back against him. Nate glared at his uncle and saw the corner of his mouth lift, proof he’d taken a sharper turn than necessary.

“Whoa. I got you,” Bodie said, and Nate was afraid to look at him. He didn’t mind, though, when Bodie left his arm draped across the seat behind him. It took a couple of minutes, but he ended up relaxing against him, and it felt good… amazingly good.

 

Michael slowed as they drove past the stone house, and once again, Nate felt like he was looking at a castle. It was exciting to think about living there. Out of nowhere, he felt a pang of yearning for his family: his mom, dad, and his little sisters. The feeling was interrupted when Michael commented on a car in the driveway.

“It looks like the owners are there. I should go have a talk with them. I’ve been thinking about something,” he mused, almost to himself. “How about I drop you two off at your place, Bodie, and then I’ll go back to the house for a chat? I shouldn’t be too long.” He had reached the Cavanaugh driveway, and pulled in partway.

“Sure. We’ll get out here, and when you come back, just pull up in front of the grey board-and-batten kennel on the left. It’s the first building. We’ll be in there.”

“Okay, I shall return, youngsters,” he said as they jumped out of their side of the truck. They watched him back out and head towards the stone house before they started their own little trek up the driveway.

“I can’t wait for you to see the puppies. I wish we could keep them all, but my dad says two dogs are enough.”

As they cleared the spruce trees lining the driveway, Nate stopped dead for two reasons. One was the two big dogs barreling down on him, and the other was the barn-like structure that was the house. It was massive, but he had little time to look at it with the dogs going crazy over not only their owner, but demanding attention from him as well. He saw that Bodie remembered to put a glove on his bandaged left hand. Dinah was big, but the male, Rufus, was bigger. And friendly. So friendly, he had Nate giggling at the wet tongue attacks when he knelt down to greet him. He was the opposite of his mate. Whereas she was mostly white, Rufus was mostly a rich, glossy brindle, but he was every bit as magnificent.

After a few minutes of continual love from the boys, the dogs trotted ahead of them, confident of where the boys were headed. Dinah went through the swinging dog door of the impressively constructed kennel, while they went in through the human door. On the right were two chain link, full-height rooms, obviously for the two adults. Dog doors led out to long outdoor runs. Where they entered, was a good-sized open area, immaculate, with thickly padded rubber matting on the floor. To the left was a whelping pen, high enough to keep the puppies contained, but not too high to lean over and say hello, and that’s what Nate did. Eleven puppies clamored for his attention, and he did his best to accommodate them, laughing at the antics of the little bundles of energy. Dinah, checking that all her brood were fine, went back out her door to join Rufus. This was like heaven to Nate; there was so much love in such a small area. Turning to Bodie, he saw that he was standing back, smiling as he watched him.

“They’re incredible. How do you get them to stay still long enough to tell them apart?” He was giggling as he asked the question.

“Here. They’ll never get enough attention as a group.” With that said, he leaned over and picked one of the puppies up and placed it on the matting. He did the same until there were three running around them and the room. “These are the three best females in the group, in my opinion, and that one there"--he pointed to one that looked very similar to her mother--“is the smartest one in the whole bunch. She’s always listening and paying attention. You probably didn’t notice, but when all those others were going crazy, she was sitting back watching you.”

Nate, sitting cross-legged on the floor, could hear the pride in Bodie’s voice as he spoke. “Actually I did notice that one of them stayed back.” He was stroking the puppy who'd made its way onto his lap. “So this must be Eyebrows, then?”

“Yeah, that’s her,” Bodie said as he sat on the floor close to Nate. He was concentrating on keeping the other two puppies with him, and that gave Nate some uninterrupted time with the beautiful girl in his lap.

“She’s beautiful, and I see why you call her Eyebrows,” he said with a chuckle.

“That’s just a kennel name. She deserves a better name when she gets new owners. It’s easier when you don’t actually name them… before they leave, I mean. I made that mistake with the last litter. She’s my favorite, but picking a puppy is personal. If your uncles decide they want one, they may click with a different one altogether. They’re all exceptional, in my opinion.”

“Well, if it was up to me… I mean, I like them all, but I think she’s the prettiest one. I guess because she looks more like her mother than the others do. Her color pattern is a lot like Dinah’s. And if you say she’s smart, then I hope they pick her.” Nate grinned. “Then she would be like my dog too, wouldn’t you, Eyebrows?” He turned his attention to the calm little animal with the big feet who was looking up at him intently.

“And I could come and see her every day,” Bodie said wistfully as he held the two other puppies, who'd momentarily quieted down.

“That would be great. I can’t wait until we’re neighbors. There are no kids my age at Grams and Gramps' place. It won’t be too much longer though… only about a month, and school before that, so….”

“Yeah, a month will go by fast,” Bodie said softly, his head down. Nate looked at him, but he didn’t look up. The whole happy vibe that was present in the kennel a moment ago, had changed, and he didn’t understand why, but knew it wasn’t his imagination.

“Penny for your thoughts?” Nate watched his new friend raise his head, and there was pain in those shaded blue eyes.

When they settled on his, he could see uncertainty as well. Bodie went to speak, but then lowered his head once more, removing his troubled eyes from view. “It’s nothing,” he said with a sigh.

“Bodie… we’re friends, right? If something’s bothering you, you can tell me. What are you thinking about?” Nate used a coaxing tone, but it was edged with worry.

He expelled a deep breath, as if to calm himself. “I want us to be friends, but I’m worried that you might not want to be, once you start school.” A crack in his voice shot sympathetic shivers through Nate, as he gazed at the top of the blond head across from him. One of the puppies got restless and ambled off of Bodie’s lap. Nate watched a drop of water roll down its side which it shook off with a full body wiggle. Crap, he was crying.

“I don’t know what you mean, but I would never not want to be friends with you. I… well, I don’t know how, but I’m certain we’re meant to be important to one another, and I think you can feel that too, can’t you? Bodie, look at me. Please?” Shimmering eyes slowly met his. “Why would you think such a thing?”

“Because, when you go to Markham High, people are going to tell you things… things about me. My friends,” he said before stopping. “The guys who were my friends, the three guys I used to hang out with since we were all in grade four… they sure don’t want to be friends anymore. They don’t even want me on the same hockey team.” His head started to lower again, so Nate reacted quickly. He was certain now what this was about.

“Hey! I’m not them, okay? Will you tell me what happened? I don’t want to hear about you from anyone else. Only from you. You don’t have to tell me anything if you don’t want to, but I have things I need to tell you too.”

Bodie wiped the moisture from his eyes and sighed. “Evan, he was one of my friends… he went on my computer when I was doing something for my dad, and he saw stuff, sites I’d been on, and he said it was okay, that he understood, but he was lying. When he left here, he told our friends. I’m gay, Nate. And the guys I grew up with, don’t want anything to do with me. They’re not mean or anything... not really. They just don’t want to hang out with a gay guy, so they avoid me. I want you to be different. I really like you, but I understand if you don’t want to be friends. I know I’ve probably been pretty obvious with the way I’ve been looking at you. I can do better.” He finally met Nate’s eyes head on, his stare resolute.

Nate was glad he could see no apology there, but the pain of bracing himself for disappointment, was starkly visible. “I’m sorry.” Nate saw the disappointment flare, and he was quick to continue. “I’m sorry about your friends, but you’ll never have to worry about that with me, because I’ve been there. I am there. My supposed friends did the same thing to me when they found out.” Nate allowed a small smile to grace his face as he watched comprehension replace the agonizing Bodie had been going through.

“Holy shit. You’re gay? Seriously?”

“Yeah, seriously. Are you really that surprised?” Nate was curious to know if Bodie had been getting the same, somewhat confusing messages he had.

“Geez. Wow, I felt something when I first saw you… and there were things… I mean, I hoped, but I thought it was just my wishful thinking, because I was lonely. I convinced myself we had this amazing connection, and I even talked to my mom about it, but she told me not to get my hopes up. She said you were probably just being friendly, but, wow, it wasn’t my imagination… it was real? Did you feel anything? When you met me… like, did you know how I felt? Were you attracted to me, like I was to you?” It all came out in a rush.

Nate laughed. He was flooded with such relief, and Bodie’s animated questioning was amusing to listen to. “Yes. I felt something, and it was way more than I’ve ever felt before.” Nate stopped, thinking he may have revealed too much, but the joy radiating from this blond-haired boy told him he hadn’t. “Wait, you talked to your mom about me? And you’re attracted to me?” The last question was asked softly, and as if he needed verification… needed to hear it again.

“My mom is great,” Bodie said, almost apologetically. “She and my dad asked me why Evan and Dan and Kyle weren’t coming over anymore, and I told them. I was scared, but I told them, and they were so freaking amazing. My dad called them assholes, and told me to not be ashamed of who I was. It’s… I’ve been pretty bad for a while, and I know they’ve been worried about me, so when we met, I couldn’t help telling them about you. I think I got carried away, but I won’t tell them anything you don’t want me to, I promise.” He was apologizing, Nate realized.

“It’s okay. You can tell your parents about me. I’m not hiding who I am. I already did that. Uncle Mike and Uncle Kendall don’t hide, and neither do I. I’m not going to broadcast it or anything, but I’m not broken. There’s nothing wrong with me, and there's nothing wrong with you. We don't have a damn thing to be ashamed of. Your dad's right.” The smile he received at his words was best described as blazing. “So, you’re attracted to me?” he asked with a smirk that turned into a shy smile as he waited for the answer.

“You’re the most beautiful guy I’ve ever seen, and I haven’t been able to get you out of my mind since I first laid eyes on you. So, yeah, dude, I’m attracted to you. I like everything about you, especially the gay part."

Nate laughed. "Good. Bodie?”

“Yeah?”

“I have a lot to tell you, stuff I need to tell you, about what happened to me and my parents, what happened with my dad, and my… friends, but we can talk about it later, okay?”

“Okay. I know you’ve been suffering, but we’ve got lots of time, neighbor,” he said, sounding peaceful, the same way Nate was feeling.

“Bodie?”

“Yeah?”

“I feel the same way about you.” Nate looked him in the eye and grinned. He felt a little shy, but no longer nervous.

“Good,” Bodie said, sighing as he shifted closer, careful of the puppy sleeping on his lap. The third one was passed out on the soft matting. He reached over and gently patted Eyebrows before taking Nate’s hand in his own unbandaged one, the tips of his fingers once again caressing the little nick on the underside of his wrist before he took a firm grip.

Nate was sure now that Bodie knew what the little scar was from, but he didn’t mind. Nothing had ever felt more right to him. He gently squeezed the warm hand, in essence, claiming it, and the golden-haired boy it belonged to.

 

   

Thanks to Lightning Tim, and all those who support 'Cards on the Table'.
Join us in the COTT forum for fun and more fun:
www.gayauthors.org/forums/topic/39932-cards-on-the-table-by-headstall/
Copyright © 2017 Headstall; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 61
  • Love 24
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments



Aww!!! :wub:

 

It is so cool seeing a new POV in Nate :D Gary, it was a new experience from observing what Nate feels to actually immersing myself in it :)

 

From the first paragraph, I could see how often Nate thought about Bodie :heart: To feel that attraction more-than-a-crush was so breathtaking :heart:

 

The one thing that stands out to me, however, is how quickly they have become friends. Seeing them hang out in the mall (especially at Hollister) was so adorable :D I enjoyed reading that tidbit of how Bodie looked at Nate when he tried out the new clothes :gikkle:
Plus, I found the Michael's views on torn jeans really funny :lol: (to be honest, the idea of manufactured tears in jeans are annoying :rolleyes: like hello! Tears should only happen after years of wear and NOT store-bought) Sorry for the rant :*) Overall, that entire scene was so enjoyable :2thumbs:

 

The ride home... Okay, I said "Aw!!!" when I read how Bodie kept his arm around Nate :D It was so cute!
Now I'm wondering what Michael's gonna talk about with the current owners :lol: 'course I'll probably learn that next week :)

 

That final scene between Nate and Bodie... wonderful. A lot of worry left both of them after they told each other they were gay :) and we finally learned what happened with Bodie :( I'm just happy that Nate was there to comfort him and I'm sure Bodie will do the same when Nate tells him his own experiences. There is this undeniable bond that exists between them, and I am so thankful they found each other.

 

Gary, thank you for this Nodie Chapter :hug:

  • Love 4
Link to comment
On 11/05/2015 11:34 AM, Drew Espinosa said:

Aww!!! :wub:

 

It is so cool seeing a new POV in Nate :D Gary, it was a new experience from observing what Nate feels to actually immersing myself in it :)

 

From the first paragraph, I could see how often Nate thought about Bodie :heart: To feel that attraction more-than-a-crush was so breathtaking :heart:

 

The one thing that stands out to me, however, is how quickly they have become friends. Seeing them hang out in the mall (especially at Hollister) was so adorable :D I enjoyed reading that tidbit of how Bodie looked at Nate when he tried out the new clothes :gikkle:

Plus, I found the Michael's views on torn jeans really funny :lol: (to be honest, the idea of manufactured tears in jeans are annoying :rolleyes: like hello! Tears should only happen after years of wear and NOT store-bought) Sorry for the rant :*) Overall, that entire scene was so enjoyable :2thumbs:

 

The ride home... Okay, I said "Aw!!!" when I read how Bodie kept his arm around Nate :D It was so cute!

Now I'm wondering what Michael's gonna talk about with the current owners :lol: 'course I'll probably learn that next week :)

 

That final scene between Nate and Bodie... wonderful. A lot of worry left both of them after they told each other they were gay :) and we finally learned what happened with Bodie :( I'm just happy that Nate was there to comfort him and I'm sure Bodie will do the same when Nate tells him his own experiences. There is this undeniable bond that exists between them, and I am so thankful they found each other.

 

Gary, thank you for this Nodie Chapter :hug:

Thanks, Drew. I appreciate ALL you said. I'm not sure how Nate's POV will go over, but I wanted to show where he was at... little snapshots of how what happened had affected him. Grown-ups are great, but Nate needed someone his own age to connect with, and so did Bodie... they are just kids, but their feelings are real... their pain and their joy are the same as someone much older. This is 2011/2012 and Hollister was at their peak around here. I have those jeans lol. I honestly never thought I would like writing about guys this young, but I've enjoyed getting to know these two, and I'm glad you enjoyed it too. Thanks for a wonderful review, little buddy... cheers... Gary...

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment

I really enjoyed this POV. Nate has been through a lot and I liked getting his take on what happened and what he's feeling, unfiltered by someone else's perspective. I figured there was more to what happen than what Nate had already disclosed and the box cutters confirmed that. The idea that he actually researched how to do it properly was sad, but very realistic, and showed how serious he was. Bodie is a perceptive young man if he caught on. Crushes that age are tough and it could have easily been the case that Bodie was straight. I like Michael's attitude that fear of rejection can't keep you from living.

 

Another great chapter Gary. I would be curious to see how Nate and Bodie cope with going to school together and how much Nate is willing to disclose to Bodie about his experiences in Edmonton.

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment
On 11/05/2015 11:55 AM, EagleIsaac said:

I really enjoyed this POV. Nate has been through a lot and I liked getting his take on what happened and what he's feeling, unfiltered by someone else's perspective. I figured there was more to what happen than what Nate had already disclosed and the box cutters confirmed that. The idea that he actually researched how to do it properly was sad, but very realistic, and showed how serious he was. Bodie is a perceptive young man if he caught on. Crushes that age are tough and it could have easily been the case that Bodie was straight. I like Michael's attitude that fear of rejection can't keep you from living.

 

Another great chapter Gary. I would be curious to see how Nate and Bodie cope with going to school together and how much Nate is willing to disclose to Bodie about his experiences in Edmonton.

Thanks, Eagle! I missed hearing from you. Your reviews are always spot on. This is another example of that. I think the boxcutter scene was the most telling one. Not only is it sad that he researched how to do it, I found it chilling to write about. I'm so pleased you liked this POV. Unfiltered is what I was hoping for. I wanted to show how deeply Josh's rejection hurt him. Michael was in the background here, but he was pivotal throughout. Nate is learning just how perceptive and caring his uncle is. The example he sees in K and M's love gives him some much needed strength, and now he has someone he can lend his strength to. Thanks so much for the review, my friend... cheers... Gary....

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Nice Gary!
The Nate's POV was really necessary to explain about the box cutter (who else would know). But it was fun too, observing their mutual discovery through the eyes of one of them. Third person here simply would not do.
I like the kids anyway and they give a different angle to K&M. Now we have to worry about the serious issue brought out in this chapter: dog selection :)
Looking forward to the results of Mike's little discussion back at the castle.
Thanks for this, Gary.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 11/05/2015 12:34 PM, skinnydragon said:

Nice Gary!

The Nate's POV was really necessary to explain about the box cutter (who else would know). But it was fun too, observing their mutual discovery through the eyes of one of them. Third person here simply would not do.

I like the kids anyway and they give a different angle to K&M. Now we have to worry about the serious issue brought out in this chapter: dog selection :)

Looking forward to the results of Mike's little discussion back at the castle.

Thanks for this, Gary.

Thanks, Skinny! I'm glad you liked the POV. It just seemed right because Nate had things to say. We get intimate first hand knowledge, and I wanted to show how much turmoil Nate was still experiencing in a day. Nate is exactly what Bodie needs, and vice versa. Now, with the example of K and M they both can heal and become proud young gay men. Did that sound hokey? Oh well. Dog selection LOL. Very funny, Skinny... we'll all wait with bated breath... thanks for such a great review, my friend... cheers... Gary...

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Seeing things from Nate's POV added so much to the story. I think he and Brodie are going to be good together; I jut hope they don't get too much crap in school. I always look for updates to this story; it really brightens my day when I see one. In fact, I now eagerly await the next chapter.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 11/05/2015 01:03 PM, avidreadr said:

Seeing things from Nate's POV added so much to the story. I think he and Brodie are going to be good together; I jut hope they don't get too much crap in school. I always look for updates to this story; it really brightens my day when I see one. In fact, I now eagerly await the next chapter.

Thank you, Avid! That is so great to hear. I'm so pleased you liked Nate's POV. It seemed necessary. It allowed me a little more room to get across what Nate has been going through, and is still going through. I think you're right that these two will be good for each other. They need each other, as much as they are attracted to each other. It feels good to know new chapters can brighten your day... thanks again, and cheers... Gary...

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 11/05/2015 03:30 PM, Bucket1 said:

Wow

I hope that's a good wow, Bucket. It was a little different going with Nate's POV... but I felt like it gave me a chance to lay out the whole story in a much fuller way. I've come to like these two young men. Thanks for your intriguing review, my friend. I'm taking it as a good wow... cheers... Gary...

  • Love 1
Link to comment

Thank you so much G-Man for such an intimate glimpse into the workings of young love...expertly done, and it took me back to my own first steps on the path to togetherness.
The solitude at that age is bad enough and worse when combined with the rejection of your friends. I had the solitude part down because I was shy, and knew that it wouldn't be good if people found out my secret in a small town...you can get used to it in time. The rejection didn't come until nearly the end of college when I came out to a friend--he stopped hanging out with me, and we didn't speak again, but he was one of the exceptions--my other friends didn't care, and my best friend at the time would go to the bars with me.
A kiss would have been nice at the end, but it's too soon for them...they're just getting used to the idea of being so connected. Kudos, as you say. :)

  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 11/05/2015 04:20 PM, ColumbusGuy said:

Thank you so much G-Man for such an intimate glimpse into the workings of young love...expertly done, and it took me back to my own first steps on the path to togetherness.

The solitude at that age is bad enough and worse when combined with the rejection of your friends. I had the solitude part down because I was shy, and knew that it wouldn't be good if people found out my secret in a small town...you can get used to it in time. The rejection didn't come until nearly the end of college when I came out to a friend--he stopped hanging out with me, and we didn't speak again, but he was one of the exceptions--my other friends didn't care, and my best friend at the time would go to the bars with me.

A kiss would have been nice at the end, but it's too soon for them...they're just getting used to the idea of being so connected. Kudos, as you say. :)

Thank you, CG. I'm glad it struck a chord with you. Who's to say when connections are made. these are kids... damaged kids, who need someone in their life, a peer, that they can depend on. They are only 14 and almost 15, so hand holding is a big deal for them. That feeling of peace they both felt at the end, I would wager was worth its weight in gold to the two boys, so you're right... it's too soon for them, and something they aren't really ready for. Thanks for the review, and the kind words, CG... cheers... Gary...

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I really loved Nate's POV. He is such a sweet kid. His confusion over old crushes, new crushes, first kisses, friendships and betrayals was realistically done. It was so sweet to read how he processed the differences in his feelings towards Josh and Bodie. I think that even if Nate and Bodie decide they are better as friends they will be lifelong friends. The boxcutter section was hard to read, because of the research you know he had to do about how to use them properly and how he decided not to use the boxcutter because his mom hated the sight of blood. It was heartbreaking to know how prepared he actually was.
As always you have done a wonderful job of getting in to someone's head and making us care even more for them. Nate and Bodie's interest in each other is so obvious to people watching them that I wonder what their reception will be like in school? Does Nate play hockey? Because if he does they would truly be K & Ms mini-mes lol Oh and Bodie's reaction when he looked and Michael and realized he was getting a sneak peak at what Nate was going to look like in a few years? Priceless! :lol:

  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 11/05/2015 11:38 PM, LitLover said:

I really loved Nate's POV. He is such a sweet kid. His confusion over old crushes, new crushes, first kisses, friendships and betrayals was realistically done. It was so sweet to read how he processed the differences in his feelings towards Josh and Bodie. I think that even if Nate and Bodie decide they are better as friends they will be lifelong friends. The boxcutter section was hard to read, because of the research you know he had to do about how to use them properly and how he decided not to use the boxcutter because his mom hated the sight of blood. It was heartbreaking to know how prepared he actually was.

As always you have done a wonderful job of getting in to someone's head and making us care even more for them. Nate and Bodie's interest in each other is so obvious to people watching them that I wonder what their reception will be like in school? Does Nate play hockey? Because if he does they would truly be K & Ms mini-mes lol Oh and Bodie's reaction when he looked and Michael and realized he was getting a sneak peak at what Nate was going to look like in a few years? Priceless! :lol:

First of all, yeah, Nate plays hockey, so they really are mini versions of M and K lol. I enjoyed the scene at Hollister's when Bodie 'sees' the older version of Nate. and loses his discretion completely. I also liked revealing Nate's crush on Kendall. Now he's relegated to the scrap heap :) . The boxcutter scene was brutal, but meant as a reminder of how lucky they all are that Nate is still here. I didn't want people to forget, and I wanted to hear it all from Nate, himself. What Josh did, almost pushed Nate over the edge, so I'm glad he figured out that Josh was just a crush, and no comparison to how Bodie makes him feel. He needed to get past that hump so he can let go of that first 'love' pain. Thanks for a wonderful review, my friend... cheers... Gary...

  • Love 1
Link to comment

Lovely chapter!

 

Nate and Bodie are slowly getting to know each other better. Sounds like they both desperately need new friends and finding each other is a great start, perhaps they'll find some mutual friends at school. I'd hate to see them alone against everyone else.

 

And uncle Michael, he's such a wonderful person, and Nate's lucky to have him in his life :boy:

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 11/06/2015 03:33 AM, Suvitar said:

Lovely chapter!

 

Nate and Bodie are slowly getting to know each other better. Sounds like they both desperately need new friends and finding each other is a great start, perhaps they'll find some mutual friends at school. I'd hate to see them alone against everyone else.

 

And uncle Michael, he's such a wonderful person, and Nate's lucky to have him in his life :boy:

There's nothing much worse that a teenager who feels isolated and alone. These boys are like shining beacons to one another. It's like fate has stepped in and arranged for them to meet. You're not alone when you have one best friend. Now they can look at the world in a better light. And Michael, while in the background, was truly the star in this chapter. I wonder if he needed to talk face to face with these new owners... or was giving the boys some time to themselves. He's a pretty perceptive man, after all. :) . Thank you for continuing to support this story, and fro another great review... cheers... Gary...

  • Like 1
Link to comment

This was a great chapter Gary.. Seeing things from Nate's POV was a treat and you captured his thoughts and emotions so very well. His confusion and doubts about Bodie, in relation to what he thought he felt for Josh was clear and I was right there with him. Good thing he had Uncle Michael.
Uncle Michael, who clued him in to Bodie's longing looks, and who swerved hard enough to give the boys that extra opportunity to touch. Got to love him.
We also learn how much worse it could have been for Nate had he managed to go through with the box cutter plan. That hurt my heart.

 

Nate and Bodie, I think is the start of a wonderful friendship. The kind that when this develops into a relationship, even if it does not last (I slapped my own head), they will always remain friends. Just my feeling.
Im interested in how they will manage in school. If Bodie's friends even start anything, which I don't think they will. They pretty much iced out Bodie rather than taunt him, but seeing Bodie and Nate together and actually witnessing their connection, who knows what that will spark!

 

So, we're adding a puppy to the family right? <insert sad puppy dog eyes>

  • Love 1
Link to comment

I think I am out of "aww." But I'm in awe. Wonderful chapter, nearly magical, really. How lucky Nate is to have his uncles Kendall and Michael looking out for him - and for Bodie, too. This is a wonderful way to help us see Nate, and the way his uncles will take care of him until he can fly on his own confidently.
Thanks for this chapter!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator

As I said in the forum, the POV worked. It was great to see Nate and Bodie interact and react on their level as opposed to through the filter of an adult.
One point of relief for me was finding out that Bodie's dad has been firmly on his side from the beginning. He reacted as a parent should. As for his friends - especially Evan who back peddled from his being okay with Bodie's being gay - I'm more inclined to believe that peer pressure reared its ugly head. I'm hoping this can be resolved in a positive manner.
There was a lot of lightness in this chapter that was delightful to witness. Playing with the puppies and the revelations that they had something in common was great, but, the clothes shopping stole the show. Hmm, I just downplayed the discovery that they are both gay, okay so that stole the show, but it was a double feature, so that's okay. :gikkle:
I know teenage boys can be loud, so if you need to do another POV like this to silence them that would be fine by me.
As always, a great and wonderfully executed chapter Gary. :)

  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 11/06/2015 05:47 AM, Defiance19 said:

This was a great chapter Gary.. Seeing things from Nate's POV was a treat and you captured his thoughts and emotions so very well. His confusion and doubts about Bodie, in relation to what he thought he felt for Josh was clear and I was right there with him. Good thing he had Uncle Michael.

Uncle Michael, who clued him in to Bodie's longing looks, and who swerved hard enough to give the boys that extra opportunity to touch. Got to love him.

We also learn how much worse it could have been for Nate had he managed to go through with the box cutter plan. That hurt my heart.

 

Nate and Bodie, I think is the start of a wonderful friendship. The kind that when this develops into a relationship, even if it does not last (I slapped my own head), they will always remain friends. Just my feeling.

Im interested in how they will manage in school. If Bodie's friends even start anything, which I don't think they will. They pretty much iced out Bodie rather than taunt him, but seeing Bodie and Nate together and actually witnessing their connection, who knows what that will spark!

 

So, we're adding a puppy to the family right? <insert sad puppy dog eyes>

As always, Def, you give the most amazing reviews. It turns out I was right to go with Nate's POV. I have to say I enjoyed being inside his head. We were able to watch him get some clarity in a more intimate way. The boxcutter scene hurt my heart too... but I thought we needed to know about it. I struggled with Nodie as a couple, and I still do because they are so young, but I remember back to how I felt about my first love, and I was the same age. Where they go remains to be seen, but for right now, they are the friend the other needs... and that is so important after what they've been through. Puppy?? Hmmmm. Thank you so much, my friend... cheers... Gary...

  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 11/06/2015 09:21 AM, Parker Owens said:

I think I am out of "aww." But I'm in awe. Wonderful chapter, nearly magical, really. How lucky Nate is to have his uncles Kendall and Michael looking out for him - and for Bodie, too. This is a wonderful way to help us see Nate, and the way his uncles will take care of him until he can fly on his own confidently.

Thanks for this chapter!

Thanks, Parker. I really appreciate hearing from you. I love the 'nearly magical'. It was a rewarding chapter to write, despite the pain we relived through Nate. He is one lucky kid, to have K and M, and now Bodie. I think Bodie will benefit from Nate and his uncles as well. These boys are young, but unfortunately, being gay sometimes forces you to grow up early... now they have a peer who understands... Again, thank you for the review... cheers... Gary...

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 11/06/2015 09:25 AM, Reader1810 said:

As I said in the forum, the POV worked. It was great to see Nate and Bodie interact and react on their level as opposed to through the filter of an adult.

One point of relief for me was finding out that Bodie's dad has been firmly on his side from the beginning. He reacted as a parent should. As for his friends - especially Evan who back peddled from his being okay with Bodie's being gay - I'm more inclined to believe that peer pressure reared its ugly head. I'm hoping this can be resolved in a positive manner.

There was a lot of lightness in this chapter that was delightful to witness. Playing with the puppies and the revelations that they had something in common was great, but, the clothes shopping stole the show. Hmm, I just downplayed the discovery that they are both gay, okay so that stole the show, but it was a double feature, so that's okay. :gikkle:

I know teenage boys can be loud, so if you need to do another POV like this to silence them that would be fine by me.

As always, a great and wonderfully executed chapter Gary. :)

I'm glad you liked that Bodie's parents, and in particular, his father, acted the way parents should. What they should care about is their kid's happiness. I think you're right about the peer pressure. It's incredibly hard to go against when you're a young teenager. I love the 'double feature' remark. I had fun with some of these scenes. Surprisingly, the coming out scene was easy compared to the ones leading up to it. Once again, you're right... and these boys are quite loud in my head right now. Thanks for the encouraging review, my friend... cheers... Gary...

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 11/06/2015 01:50 PM, LadyDe said:

OMG!!!! It's Mike and Kendall 2.0 :funny:

LOLOL! Haha... you're right, LadyDe. It is, and I'm getting a kick out of it. So very glad to hear from you again. I hope you are still enjoying the story. I'm still laughing. Thanks for the review... cheers... Gary...

  • Like 1
Link to comment

This chapter necessarily could have been the situation in which Michael and Kendall are teenagers and fall in love. I loved the confession between them :yes: and I totally love "eyebrows" :wub: even I hope M & K pick her up :D:yes: and I am interested in knowing what Michael has to talk to the current owners :huh: ... I have felt that Nate went through more than what was told and they have been confirmed :no::,( although I am surprised Bodie could understand why it appeared :unsure: I wanted to write more but I am quite tired right now and sleep is claiming me :sleep: but I really loved the Nate's POV and also that there's a chapter about Nodie :D ... waiting for the next one :hug:

  • Love 1
Link to comment

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..