Jump to content
    Headstall
  • Author
  • 4,669 Words
  • 7,722 Views
  • 40 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Cards on the Table - 47. Chapter 47 Learning a New Game

Are there instructions for this?

Cards on the Table

 

 

Chapter 47

 

 

Driving towards Markham in his father’s 1981 Chevy pickup truck was a real joy for Michael. Thirty years old, and the clutch was smooth as silk, and not at all taxing on his knee. The four-speed manual shifter felt like home. He had learned to drive in this now-vintage vehicle, and although he hadn’t been in it for eight or so years, it seemed like only weeks ago. His big grin was matched by an amazingly similar one beside him. Nate thought this truck was the ‘sweetest thing’ on four wheels. The original bright yellow color, combined with the white bottom panels, looked showroom fresh with the loving care Big Mike had given it over the years. The few touch-ups to the paint were impossible to detect. The only difference to the truck was the upgrade to the fancy chrome wheels that Nate’s grandfather couldn’t resist. The factory installed 305 V8 engine still purred.

This was the beginning of their outing, and the roads were clear of snow on this bright sunny Monday morning. Spirits were high as they headed towards the huge Markham Mall to do some clothes shopping for Nate. It didn’t hurt that a pile of Colleen’s pancakes and sausage filled their stomachs. After their conversation that morning, Nate appeared to have let go of the bad dreams and the memories, at least for the time being. For some reason, Michael felt a little closer to his nephew. If he could put a name to it, he would say he was feeling more fatherly towards the boy. He found himself thinking about all the things Nate would need taken care of, and had even written a list while in the privacy of his and Kendall’s room. There was much to consider… clothes, footwear, school supplies, haircut, toiletries, entertainment… the kid needed a gaming system… it started to become overwhelming until he talked to his mother and she brought him back down to earth. Colleen told him to wait for Megan to call and give the final word. She assured him Megan would send along much of what Nate needed—clothes, school stuff, gaming equipment, his books and music, etc.—and for Michael to concentrate on clothes for his birthday, and maybe have him pick out a pair of shoes he liked that his grandparents could get him as part of their gift to him. That took all the pressure off, and he was now looking forward to spending time together. How long could it take to get some jeans and shirts?

The pulled into the already crowded parking lot, and Nate questioned his uncle’s decision to park far away from the entrance. “Why are we parking back here? There are spaces a lot closer than this.”

“Good question, young fella. Listen and learn,” he said in a serious tone. “Do you want to be the one to tell your gramps that there’s a dent or a scratch on his door?”

“What? No… oh, I get it. It’s safer for the truck down here,” Nate surmised.

“Correct, and not only that, it’s safer for us because this truck is Dad’s baby, and all these holiday shoppers get careless with their doors. If this truck gets any damage, I don’t want to be around when Dad finds out,” Michael gave Nate an uh-oh look, and he laughed. “Let’s leave our coats in here so we don’t overheat while we’re shopping. Just zip up your hoodie until we get inside.”

They took off at a run until Michael remembered his knee. Naturally, Nate took the opportunity to tease his old, slow uncle. Michael feigned annoyance at the comments, but secretly, he loved seeing Nate acting carefree. The mall was huge, and even had a stream running through the entire walkway of the lower level, but it paled in comparison to the West Edmonton Mall, the biggest one in North America. The one Nate was used to, was more of a theme park, with its many attractions, including a wave pool and a skating rink. Surprisingly, Nate seemed captivated by this one, eager to check out every store they passed. His energy, amusing at first, started to wear Michael out after almost an hour. They hadn’t bought a single thing yet, so Michael told Nate to choose a store, and pick out a couple of pairs of jeans.

“I just need one pair,” Nate tried to insist, but Michael was having none of it.

“Two pair at least, but I think you should get three. The ones you’re wearing now are even shorter than the ones you wore yesterday. This is your birthday present from Uncle Kendall and I, so don’t feel weird about it, okay?” Michael could tell Nate wasn't all that comfortable with having money spent on him, and he understood it. “Now let’s do this. Make a decision on where we’re going,” he ordered as sternly as he could, and Nate giggled.

They were standing in front of the mall map. “I guess ‘Stitches’, or ‘Bluenotes’… they’re both upstairs, side by side.”

“Okay then. Let’s go buy you some jeans,” Michael exclaimed enthusiastically, getting another snicker from Nate. Heading up the escalator, they both heard Nate’s name being called.

“Nate! Nate, over here!” Michael looked over to see none other than Bodie, with a big smile on his face, heading in the opposite direction. “Wait at the top, and I’ll come up,” he called as he sped by the people in front of him, heading downward at teenage speed.

“Did you guys set this up, Nate?” Michael asked as they reached the second level, and moved out of the way of jostling shoppers. It looked mighty suspicious to Michael.

“What? No, I swear… I had no idea Bodie would be here. I just texted him this morning that you were taking me shopping. I didn’t say where because I had no clue myself.” Nate looked stunned.

“It’s okay, buddy. Relax… I was just asking,” Michael assured him. He winked at his nephew.

Thundering up the moving stairway came Bodie, and it was mere seconds before he was standing in front of them. Michael took quick note that Bodie was no kid as he panted out his hellos. Out of his big winter jacket, he was an impressive young man, and certainly the equal of his nephew, in looks and build. He experienced that strange vibe of seeing younger versions of himself and Kendall once again. It was almost eerie. The golden-haired Bodie was even a little taller than the black-haired Nate.

“Hi, Bodie, um, what are you doing here?” Nate stammered out the question as a flush crept up his neck to his cheeks and the tips of his ears.

“Hey, Nate, I was so glad to get your texts. I, ah, I was clumsy,” he held up a bandaged hand, gauze wrapping around his palm. “I was too lazy to get a cutting board, and I sliced my hand instead of the tomato I was holding,” he admitted sheepishly. “My mom got all freaked out, so she brought me here, to the walk-in clinic, to see if I need stitches. It’s no big deal, but you know how moms are. I’m, sorry,” Bodie said to Michael while holding out his left hand. “I only know you as Nate’s Uncle Mike?”

“Michael Aceto, Bodie. Just call me Michael. I’m too young to be Mister.” Michael wanted to burst out laughing at the way Nate was taking in the sight of Bodie with openly admiring eyes. Geez, he was going to have to teach his nephew how to be discreet. The boy was not very good at hiding his attraction. “So, your mom dropped you off here instead of the hospital?”

“Well, no. Mom didn’t drop me off. She’s over there,” he pointed, “signing me in, and giving them my medical information. The hospital info line said the wait was like, four hours, and she needs to get to work, so here is usually a lot quicker for little stuff,” he shrugged while holding his injured hand up again. Pleasantries over, Bodie’s eyes sought out Nate’s, and Michael saw a flicker of that indefinable something pass between them. He wondered if they had working gaydar.

“Well, it looks like I’ve gotten out of school for the day. I guess it’s not all bad. So when are we going to be neighbours?” Bodie’s eyes were glued to Nate’s, who appeared, at that moment, to be incapable of speech.

Taking pity, Michael jumped in. “We take possession on January 15th, so we expect we’ll move in sometime that day. You can come over and give us a hand if you want. Maybe you can help Nate set up his room,” he suggested innocently, not daring to look at Nate for a few seconds, in case his laughter bubbled up and over.

“Shoot, that’s like a month away… I thought you were moving in before school started up after New Year’s, but okay, for sure I’ll come over to help. Unless it’s a school day, and then I’ll come after.”

“Actually, it’s a Sunday, so no worries there,” Michael suppressed a smile when he looked at Nate, who still hadn’t regained his ability to speak.

“What room is yours, Nate? Maybe I can see your window from mine, cause mine faces your house, and I can make out the top corner of it through the trees. The house between us is a lot farther up than ours.”

Nate looked at Michael for the answer. “What room will I have?”

Michael was relieved Nate finally quit the dummy act, and spoke. “I think you’re going to be upstairs, but on the opposite side of the house, Nephew, so there’ll be no flashing lights in Morse code back and forth.”

Nate laughed, loosening up at last. “Why would we do that, Unc? We have cell phones,” he snickered as he shot a ‘what-an-idiot’ look at Bodie, getting a matching snicker from him.

“Hey,” Michael protested, “I wasn’t the one who wanted to know if your windows were facing each other.”

“I just meant we would know when each other was awake… so we could do our, uh, Morse code stuff,” Bodie said with a semi-straight face that lasted all of two seconds before he and Nate doubled over in peals of laughter.

Michael smiled at the pair, but mostly because the ice had been broken, and Nate was able to act like Nate again.

“Shoot, I forgot. I was on my way to get my mom some chap-stick from the drugstore on the lower level. Wanna come with me? It’ll just take a couple of minutes,” Bodie implored as he reached out and touched Nate’s shoulder for a second, like he couldn’t help himself.

Michael watched with interest as Nate responded to the gesture with a shy smile. “Well, I’m supposed to pick out….” Michael cut him off with a wave of his hand.

“Go, spend time with your friend. I’m going to sit here and watch the people go by, like the tech-challenged old fart I am… these old legs need a rest,” he teased the boys, getting a gleeful reaction from them as they hurried away, and back to the down escalator.

Michael shook his head in amusement as he went to take a seat at the bench situated under some live trees. He was halted in mid-sit by someone behind him calling, “Excuse me?”

He turned towards the voice, and found that a woman dressed in an austere business suit was the person talking, and she was addressing him. The hair color was wrong, but the shape of the eyes, and the cheekbones were clear indications this was Bodie’s mother. She was a pleasant looking woman, and rather voluptuous despite the severity of the suit she was wearing. “You have to be Bodie’s mother,” Michael turned on the charm with his best megawatt smile.

“I am,” she smiled back. “And I am assuming the boy Bodie just took off with is the infamous Nate?”

“Infamous?”

“Oh yes, we have heard of nothing but Nate since yesterday. It was nice to see my son that excited again.” Her eyes clouded for just a second, but it was long enough for Michael to notice. “So, if I’m right, you must be one of his uncles? I saw you through the window of the clinic,” she gestured behind her. “You two certainly look alike… more like brothers.”

“Yeah, we hear that a lot,” Michael agreed. "You can't tell the difference in our baby pictures." Michael realized he felt pride in saying that. "I’m his uncle Mike, and my fiancé, Kendall, is his other uncle. The boys seem to have hit it off.” Michael took in how she didn’t bat an eye at ‘fiancé’.

“It would seem so… Bodie needs someone his own age to be friends with, and we are pleased to hear Nate will be our neighbor… he is going to be, isn’t he?”

“Yes, he is. My nephew will be with us until his parents make the move from Edmonton. We expect to have him at least until the end of the school year. I’m Michael Aceto, by the way.” Michael held out his hand, and it was taken immediately.

“I’m Miranda Cavanaugh, Michael. I am so pleased to meet you, and it’s great that we’re going to be neighbors. Bodie told us one of you is a policeman?”

“Yeah, that would be me, and Kendall is the head of security for a large residential conglomerate. He has the same police training that I have.”

“Wonderful. I feel safer already,” she joked, and Michael decided he liked her.

“Well, we’re not neighbors till January 15th,” Michael joked back. “I told Bodie he could come over and help us move in if that’s all right? He could help Nate get his room organized.”

“Oh, yes, that’s fine. I’m sure Bodie was glad to hear that. It’s kind of lonely for him on our road, and I think he’s quite smitten…er… taken with your nephew.” The blush that appeared on Miranda’s cheeks was not missed by Michael. That had been a slipup on her part, and verification to Michael that Bodie was indeed gay, and out to his mom.

“Well, I’m pretty sure Nate is quite… taken… with Bodie,” he grinned, letting her off the hook. He thought, as weird as it was, there was no harm in making things clear.

“That’s wonderful to hear,” she beamed. “Bodie hasn’t had the easiest time lately, and he could use a good friend. He’s been rather down… well, until yesterday,” she gave a tentative smile.

“The same could be said about Nate. He needs a good friend right now too. There’s only so much Kendall and I can do for him.” Michael met her eyes, and an understanding passed between them. “He’s a great kid, and I’m sure they’ll be good for one another. Sometimes it’s tough being that age.”

Miranda’s eyes actually watered, a mother’s relief, and Michael had a strong urge to give her a hug, but the boys could be heard before they were seen. A steady stream of laughter was on its way up the moving stairway, and Miranda quickly wiped her eyes before they came into view.

“Sorry, I took so long. There was a lineup at the cash register. Here you go,” Bodie passed his mother a little bag, “and, Mom, this here is Nate Grant… he’s the one I told you about.” Bodie sounded like he had run out of air, as his voice trailed off.

“My, aren’t you a handsome boy. I’m Miranda, but you can call me Mira, if you’d like. I get Mrs. Cavanaugh enough at work,” she smiled and held out her hand to Nate.

“Nice to meet you, Mira. Bodie said you run your own company, and that you’re really busy.” Nate showed none of the nervousness he’d showed with Bodie. Michael guessed he wasn’t attracted to Miranda, and that thought had him smiling.

“That’s right, Nate. It’s called Cavanaugh Cosmetics. And yes, Bodie is right about it taking up a lot of my time. Maybe you’ll be able to keep him company sometimes, once you move into that beautiful house.” She beamed at him before looking again at Michael.

“It really is an exceptional home. You and your fiancé made a very wise choice.”

“Thanks, Miranda… It spoke to us when we went through it, and we can’t wait to start our life there. In fact, we plan to have our wedding there in May.”

Michael was amused when this classy looking lady actually squealed at his disclosure. “Oh, I do love weddings, and that will be the perfect place to host one. I’ve done some wedding planning in the past so if there’s anything I can do to help, just let me know,” she said sincerely.

Michael laughed. “Well, thank you, that’s really nice of you. Maybe if we need a referee for the friends who are helping us plan it, we’ll give you a call.”

“Fair enough,” Miranda smiled warmly. “Now, Bodie, it looks like we have an hour or so to wait. The nurse who examined you thinks the doctor may want to put a couple of stitches in, before you get properly bandaged. I have to move my meeting to a later time again, so after I make a phone call, we should go back in to wait.”

“Okay. It was awesome running into you, Nate. Text me and let me know what you ended up getting. You really should check out ‘Hollister’s’… they have some cool jeans there, and their tee-shirts fit really well. They would look good on you.” Michael watched Bodie’s color change a bit before he went on. “They always have some great stuff on sale, too.”

Michael would have sworn, from the look on both their faces, they were separating for years. Nate looked downright forlorn. “Miranda, if you need to get to a meeting, I’d have no problem waiting for Bodie to be done at the clinic. Then maybe he could help Nate pick out some clothes and shoes when he’s done.” Michael saw Nate give him a quizzical look at the mention of shoes.

“Really… are you sure, Michael? I don’t want to intrude on your day.” There was relief in her tone, despite her mild protest.

“It’s not intruding, future neighbor. Besides, look at these long faces at the thought of separating. We don’t want to look at sad mugs all day, do we? I know I don’t,” he teased the boys. “I was planning on driving by the house on the way back to my parents’ place anyway, so there’s no issue with being put out.” It was at that point Michael noticed the boys were standing so close together, their shoulders were touching.

“Oh, maybe we can look at the puppies when we take Bodie home?” Nate had become one happy kid again as he saw the possibility he would be spending more time with his new friend. Making the boy happy was priority one for Michael.

“That’s a great idea. I would love to see Dinah’s puppies.”

It was Bodie’s turn to get into the mix. “They are all really nice puppies, but there is one I call ‘Eyebrows’ I would like you to see. She is so smart,” he gushed at both Nate and Michael.

Miranda smiled at the two boys, before turning to Michael. “Well, if you really don’t mind, I guess it’s settled then. Thank you so much. It is a very important meeting, and this helps me out tremendously.”

“No problem… it’s the neighborly thing to do,” he smiled, and Miranda laughed.

“Okay then, Bodie. You’re all signed in. Here’s your health card. Don’t lose it,” she admonished, and received a humorous eye roll in return.

“No, Mom. I won’t.” He accepted her quick hug like a typically reluctant teenage boy out in public, one which forced Nate to move away from Bodie a few inches. Michael could see how surprised he was when Miranda pulled him in for a quick hug as well.

“It was so nice to meet you both, and I look forward to meeting your fiancé… ah, Kendall. Again, thank you, Michael.” And with that, Miranda was off, heading down the escalator, and leaving the three of them alone.

“Your mom is very nice, Bodie,” Michael said, as they all watched her disappear from sight.

“Yeah, she and Dad are great, but she does works a lot of hours, though. I end up doing a lot of the cooking, but I like it. I just worry for her because running her company tires her out. Even so, she’s always got my back,” he said thoughtfully, as if he were remembering something sad.

Michael decided to interject some humor to dispel whatever cloud was forming over the young man. “Hey, if you can cook, you can come over any time after we move in. I’m trying to get Kendall to take cooking lessons, but no luck so far,” he said with a put-on pout, succeeding in making Bodie laugh.

“I’m telling Uncle Kendall you said that,” Nate threatened with a cheeky grin.

“You do, and you’ll be grounded for a month,” Michael shot back. “You are under my power now, youngster,” he warned, rubbing his hands together. “Okay, on to serious matters. Bodie, you should head into the clinic now. Oh, don’t start moping, Nate… you go with him, and I’ll join you after I give Kendall a call, okay?”

Both young men were grinning from ear to ear. “Okay, and say ‘hi’ to Unc for me,” Nate chuckled as they headed over to the medical clinic. Nate stopped in mid-stride, and turned, walking back a few steps. “Uncle Mike, how am I going to start school after the holidays are over, if we don’t move in until the fifteenth?” Nate looked worried, and so did Bodie, standing behind him.

“Nate… guys… leave that to me. We may need to do some driving, but there’s no way you’re going to miss any more school, all right?”

“Okay. Thanks.” The smiles returned to both the boys’ faces as they headed off once more. Michael was caught by surprise when Nate spun around in mid-step, and ran back and hugged him. “I love you, Uncle Mike.”

“I love you too, Nathanial.” Michael waited for Nate to turn away, before he wiped his eyes.

 

“Guess where I am?”

What do you mean? You took Nate shopping at the Markham Mall, right?”

“Okay, yeah, sorry, I should have asked you to guess who I’m with,” he amended.

“Well, I assume you didn’t lose Nate, so you’d be with him… and maybe someone else?”

“Right on the money. We ran into none other than Bodie… actually Bodie Cavanaugh is his full name… and his mother, a lovely woman named Miranda.”

“Where did this happen?”

"At the mall."

“Really. So did those little buggers set that up?”

Michael gave an ironic snort. “We think alike. That’s what I thought, but it turns out Bodie cut his hand, and his mom brought him to the walk-in clinic in the mall, so unless Bodie was willing to slice his hand open to see Nate, it was just a coincidence. I ended up having a unusual and interesting conversation with Miranda as a matter of fact.”

“What was unusual about it, Sunshine?”

Michael experienced that feeling he always got when Kendall called him ‘Sunshine’, and he smiled to himself. “Don’t get me wrong. She’s a really nice lady, but she pretty much outed her son to me… not on purpose or anything… but she let it slip that Bodie was ‘smitten’ with Nate. The boys weren’t there, so they don’t know this happened. She changed it to ‘taken’, but it was clear what she meant. She said he’s had a tough time and really needs a good friend now. She was almost crying… there were tears in her eyes, so something bad must have happened with Bodie.”

“Wow, I can see where that would be weird, since you just met her. What did you say?”

Michael sighed. “That’s why I’m calling you. I don’t know whether I should have said anything, but she looked so sad… I wanted to make her feel better, so I sort of outed Nate to her… I told her he was ‘taken’ with Bodie too. It made her happy, Babe… I could feel it… Did I do something wrong here?” Michael waited for Kendall’s opinion.

“No, I don’t think so. You just have to watch them together, the way they look at each other. We all saw it yesterday, and she’ll see it for herself. She’s a mom. Colleen saw it in us, long before we saw it, and these two know they’re gay. Judging by the connection they had at the house, I’d say they recognize it in each other, and even if they don’t yet, they will. It did made her feel better, so you did a good thing, big guy.”

“Thanks for saying that. I could feel how relieved she was. Okay, so I won’t worry about it. The two of them are in the clinic now, and they get along like a house on fire, even more than when they first met. You’d have laughed, Babe.” Michael chuckled. “Nate was tongue-tied when he first saw Bodie. I had to keep the conversation going until he found his voice, but now they’re yapping up a storm.” Michael chuckled again.

“Is Bodie badly hurt?”

“No, no. It’s just a slice on his palm. It’s not even bleeding. That’s another thing. I volunteered to watch over him and get him back home because Miranda had some big-deal meeting, so I’m the proud owner of two teenage boys for the day. Aren’t I lucky, Babe?” Michael gave his head a shake that Kendall couldn’t see.

“Just consider it more on-the-job training.”

Michael could hear the amusement in Kendall’s voice. “How do I get in these predicaments?”

“You love it, Sunshine, you know you do.”

“Yeah, you’re right, I do. Seeing Nate happy makes me happy. He hugged me, and told me he loved me.” The little hitch in his voice after, betrayed what it had meant to Michael.

“That’s awesome. Of course he loves you… he sees how giving you are. And that’s one of the reasons I love you so much. You tell me I always do the right thing… I’m telling you that you always do the right thing too. You’re going to ‘Ace’ this father thing.”

Michael groaned. “Oh my God, Deuce. That’s another one. Are you going to make a habit of these bad puns? ‘Sunshine’ was bad enough,” he joked, but he couldn’t help snickering. “Despite your lameness, I love you too, so much. I better go check on my young charges. See you tonight, man-of-my-dreams.”

“Now who’s being lame?”

“Hey, that wasn’t lame… that was romantic,” he objected. He would have pouted but it would have been wasted.

“Yeah, it really was, big guy. I’ll see you tonight… probably around five, okay?”

“Okay, but before you go, say something romantic to me.”

“You want romance? How about this? I can still remember how you tasted when you came in my mouth this morning… and I can still feel your fingers inside me… how was that?”

There was a long pause. “Fuck, Babe. That was the most romantic thing you’ve ever said to me," he chuckled..."I can’t stand up now.”

“You’re welcome, Sunshine.”

All Michael heard after that, was a click. He sat on the bench for a while longer, out of necessity, his face sporting a goofy grin that wouldn’t go away. Damn, he loved that man.

 

 

 

   

 

  

A tough week, but Lightning Tim made it possible for me to keep on schedule... thanks, Timothy M.
And thank you to all the wonderful people who support this story. It truly is a labor of love.
We have a lot of fun in the COTT forum: Please join us: www.gayauthors.org/forums/topic/39932-cards-on-the-table-by-headstall/
Copyright © 2017 Headstall; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 62
  • Love 15
  • Haha 6
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments



I love this chapter :D Before this one, your chapters focused on M&K, but this one was more about Nate and Bodie :)
One of the things that is on my mind after reading this, is parallelism. The obvious one is how Nate and Bodie are younger versions of Michael and Kendall. After reading this chapter, there is another parallel: like Nate, Bodie has had a really tough time lately. What really made me sad, was realizing how lonely Bodie must have been :( There are times in which I wanted to :hug: Nate and now I want to give one to Bodie.

 

I'm so glad these two met :) I know Big Mike, Colleen, Michael, and Kendall went a long way in helping Nate get back to his usual cheerful self, but it is clear Bodie has also done a lot (even in such a short time) In fact, from what Mira has said, Nate has also had the same impact on Bodie :)

 

What I find remarkable is that it was only a mere day or two ago that these boys met each other. Gary, if I was sitting in that clinic and I saw them, I's expect them to have known each other for years. It goes to show that bonds can be formed quickly :yes:

 

Finally, it is so sweet that they are smitten with each other :wub: it is absolutely a precious sight to see :D I wonder though, do they know if their feelings are mutual? :gikkle: Probably not, but it will be so adorable when they realize that :)

 

Thanks for another terrific chapter Gary :hug:

 

PS: Kendall and Michael are going to make fantastic parents :)

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment
On 10/29/2015 08:52 AM, Drew Espinosa said:

I love this chapter :D Before this one, your chapters focused on M&K, but this one was more about Nate and Bodie :)

One of the things that is on my mind after reading this, is parallelism. The obvious one is how Nate and Bodie are younger versions of Michael and Kendall. After reading this chapter, there is another parallel: like Nate, Bodie has had a really tough time lately. What really made me sad, was realizing how lonely Bodie must have been :( There are times in which I wanted to :hug: Nate and now I want to give one to Bodie.

 

I'm so glad these two met :) I know Big Mike, Colleen, Michael, and Kendall went a long way in helping Nate get back to his usual cheerful self, but it is clear Bodie has also done a lot (even in such a short time) In fact, from what Mira has said, Nate has also had the same impact on Bodie :)

 

What I find remarkable is that it was only a mere day or two ago that these boys met each other. Gary, if I was sitting in that clinic and I saw them, I's expect them to have known each other for years. It goes to show that bonds can be formed quickly :yes:

 

Finally, it is so sweet that they are smitten with each other :wub: it is absolutely a precious sight to see :D I wonder though, do they know if their feelings are mutual? :gikkle: Probably not, but it will be so adorable when they realize that :)

 

Thanks for another terrific chapter Gary :hug:

 

PS: Kendall and Michael are going to make fantastic parents :)

Thanks, Drew. I was a little unsure of this chapter, but you have just taken that uncertainty away. As corny as it sounds, I think fate plays a part in our lives. We often meet people when we need to... find things when we need them. These are two troubled boys, needing someone to help lift them up, and help repair the damage they carry. These two were pretty loud in my ear that my plans weren't good enough... they wanted to connect sooner, so I gave in to them, to my instincts... you don't ignore fate :) . Thank you for an amazing review... I think you might like the next chapter... cheers, my young friend... Gary...

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Another super chapter Gary!
We'll eventually find out the bad stuff Bodie's been through, I'm sure. As Drew pointed out, it's interesting both he and Nate had a rough time. I don't think it's gonna take them long to figure each other out though, if they haven't already.
If I'm not mistaken they'll be pleasantly squeezed together in that Ford pickup on the way home ...hehe. :blushing:
M&K might have to be a little firm once they move, Nate & Bodie might want to take advantage of them and their house a bit. I mean, it's gotta seem safer for them than a home with a mom in it. lol
Next the dog! OK I can wait a little!

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
On 10/29/2015 09:25 AM, skinnydragon said:

Another super chapter Gary!

We'll eventually find out the bad stuff Bodie's been through, I'm sure. As Drew pointed out, it's interesting both he and Nate had a rough time. I don't think it's gonna take them long to figure each other out though, if they haven't already.

If I'm not mistaken they'll be pleasantly squeezed together in that Ford pickup on the way home ...hehe. :blushing:

M&K might have to be a little firm once they move, Nate & Bodie might want to take advantage of them and their house a bit. I mean, it's gotta seem safer for them than a home with a mom in it. lol

Next the dog! OK I can wait a little!

LOL... thanks, skinny! You're on to me. The old truck has it's purpose. I don't think Michael and Kendall are guys you can take advantage of, and I don't think Nate would try. Dog? Oh yeah, there are puppies :) . I appreciate the great review, my friend... cheers... Gary...

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator

I don't think that could be any cuter or sweeter...the awww factor is over the top. :D

 

Uncle Mike did great today with both boys. it was also nice to see where (as in family values) Bodie comes from. I think their street is going to be a very happy place come January 15.

 

I really enjoyed this chapter Gary. It is full of light and sunshine (no pun intended :gikkle:)
Thank you.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment

That was the most romantic thing you’ve ever said to me…I can’t stand up now​ Bahaha LOVED that line! :lol:

 

Another fantastic chapter, Gary. It was sweet to see Nate so smitten. It seems that Bodie has had some problems in his life recently too. I hope it wasn't the same as Nate, but I suspect it was something similar. Bodie's mom seems like a really nice woman who is struggling to be there for her son and run a successful business... that sounds familiar. I wonder what the story is on Bodie's dad. There wasn't a lot of mention of him.

 

I think Michael is doing a great job being a responsible stand-in parent. I think he may start to even feel more comfortable with his role soon. Right now though I get why he needs to turn to Kendall to confirm he's doing the right thing. Nate is too valuable to make a mistake with.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment

Wow Michael did much better with the mall than I would. Crowds and I don't get along. It looks like Nate is getting mote comfortable with his life right now, with a lot of help from his uncles, and now Bodie - but kids are so mercurial that his mood could change in a minute.

 

Bodie's mother seems like a good person. I wonder what happened with Bodie that made her so sad. Hopefully Nate (and M & K) can help him deal with whatever happened.

 

And Kendall? He's my kind of romantic ;)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 10/29/2015 10:05 AM, Reader1810 said:

I don't think that could be any cuter or sweeter...the awww factor is over the top. :D

 

Uncle Mike did great today with both boys. it was also nice to see where (as in family values) Bodie comes from. I think their street is going to be a very happy place come January 15.

 

I really enjoyed this chapter Gary. It is full of light and sunshine (no pun intended :gikkle:)

Thank you.

Thanks, Reader. I think Uncle Mike did good too. It's amazing how those two boys have taken over my head. Younger versions of Michael and Kendall? Maybe... in a way. I think you're right... the house of stone is going to be a haven, a place of happiness. And you so DID intend that pun lol :) . Thanks for a great review, my friend... cheers... Gary...

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 10/29/2015 10:49 AM, LitLover said:

That was the most romantic thing you’ve ever said to me…I can’t stand up now​ Bahaha LOVED that line! :lol:

 

Another fantastic chapter, Gary. It was sweet to see Nate so smitten. It seems that Bodie has had some problems in his life recently too. I hope it wasn't the same as Nate, but I suspect it was something similar. Bodie's mom seems like a really nice woman who is struggling to be there for her son and run a successful business... that sounds familiar. I wonder what the story is on Bodie's dad. There wasn't a lot of mention of him.

 

I think Michael is doing a great job being a responsible stand-in parent. I think he may start to even feel more comfortable with his role soon. Right now though I get why he needs to turn to Kendall to confirm he's doing the right thing. Nate is too valuable to make a mistake with.

Thanks, Lit! I'm glad you liked that line. It wasn't what Michael was expecting, but he loved it. I could picture Michael sitting there with his jaw dropped, and that goofy grin spreading across his face. I thought Michael did great, too. I don't think he needed Kendall's reassurance, but they're a team... and he's learning a new game. He showed today just how perceptive he is. He didn't miss a single nuance... and he did what he needed to to lift clouds from Nate, Bodie, and Mira... we'll learn what happened to Bodie... Thanks for this, Lit... cheers... Gary...

  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 10/29/2015 11:47 AM, EagleIsaac said:

Wow Michael did much better with the mall than I would. Crowds and I don't get along. It looks like Nate is getting mote comfortable with his life right now, with a lot of help from his uncles, and now Bodie - but kids are so mercurial that his mood could change in a minute.

 

Bodie's mother seems like a good person. I wonder what happened with Bodie that made her so sad. Hopefully Nate (and M & K) can help him deal with whatever happened.

 

And Kendall? He's my kind of romantic ;)

LOL. I love how Kendall can push Michael's buttons. there is never a dull moment between those two... even in a phone call from the mall. Good point about kids being mercurial. I think it helps when things go bad. One minute they're little kids, carefree and full of life, and the next they have the weight of the world on their shoulders. With the right support, Nate and Bodie can still be kids... thanks for another great Eagle review... cheers, buddy... Gary...

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Uncle Mike seems to be getting the hang of the fatherhood role :)
Bodie has had troubles in the past too, well maybe they can help each other out. Smitten, I love that word (and the sentiment).
Kendall is a very naughty fiancé, he knew exactly the effect it would have on poor Michael :P

  • Haha 1
Link to comment

Insert superlative here:____. Any one will work, because this is yet another winning hand in CoTT.
Michael is going to be a wonderful father, how do I know? Because he's always checking with his partner to confirm his ideas. That shows me that he will never be judgmental or arbitrary, we've already had the promise to be honest.
I don't think it matters if Bodie's mother outed him by accident...he and Nate instantly recognized the bond they have: it's real, it's strong, and deep--they don't need to label it because when something is right, you know it and accept it. Labels just get in the way and limit what a relationship means by imposing certain expectations. I'm not sure even 'Love' adequately captures things because it is burdened with it's origins in the Age of Chivalry with its rigid codes of conduct.
If it must have a tag, then how about the original Star Trek episode with Losira the guardian of an abandoned outpost: 'I am for you...'

  • Love 2
Link to comment

It's fun watching Nate and Bodie interact together,each attracted to the other....but not quite sure if the other would return the feeling. Unfortunately, most gay people have to agonize over their crushes, hoping against all hope the maybe something will be said or done to remove all doubt from the uber heady situation. Will he like me;kiss me or want to kick my ass? Straight people have to deal with the nervousness issue but usually don't feel like their physical well being could be in jeopardy.
The big pay off comes when the two involved realize that they are safe with each other...and can explore their attractions. It's great to have supportive adults around on both sides for the boys...this is an exciting and nerve wracking time for them both.........Loved the chapter, Gary..GREAT JOB......:) Mike

  • Love 1
Link to comment

Wow, I didn't have to wait for long to read another chapter :read: and it was a great chapter.

 

Weren't Nate a lucky guy meeting Bodie again :P It sounds like that they have more common than just being gay, something bad has happen to Bodie as well. They are both very lucky to have a new friend, someone who'll understand what the other is going (or has gone) through.

 

Uncle Michael will be such a wonderful parent :thumbup:

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 10/29/2015 03:28 PM, Bucket1 said:

Uncle Mike seems to be getting the hang of the fatherhood role :)

Bodie has had troubles in the past too, well maybe they can help each other out. Smitten, I love that word (and the sentiment).

Kendall is a very naughty fiancé, he knew exactly the effect it would have on poor Michael :P

Yeah, poor Michael! He just hates Kendall talking dirty to him lol. Michael really is blossoming in the role. I love 'smitten' too... it says so much. Bodie appears to have had something happen... maybe we'll find out what it was :) . Thanks so much for reviewing, buddy... I always appreciate your thoughts... cheers... Gary...

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 10/29/2015 06:13 PM, ColumbusGuy said:

Insert superlative here:____. Any one will work, because this is yet another winning hand in CoTT.

Michael is going to be a wonderful father, how do I know? Because he's always checking with his partner to confirm his ideas. That shows me that he will never be judgmental or arbitrary, we've already had the promise to be honest.

I don't think it matters if Bodie's mother outed him by accident...he and Nate instantly recognized the bond they have: it's real, it's strong, and deep--they don't need to label it because when something is right, you know it and accept it. Labels just get in the way and limit what a relationship means by imposing certain expectations. I'm not sure even 'Love' adequately captures things because it is burdened with it's origins in the Age of Chivalry with its rigid codes of conduct.

If it must have a tag, then how about the original Star Trek episode with Losira the guardian of an abandoned outpost: 'I am for you...'

Wow. Beautiful sentiment, CG. I'm glad you liked the chapter. I enjoy showing the magic that life possesses and in the case of Nate and Bodie, maybe there is some at work. Michael has all the heart to be a father, and a damn good one... and where he may fall short, Kendall will be there... and vice versa. I think Miranda saw a kindred kind of spirit in Michael, and knowing he was gay, she let her guard down, and let her son's orientation slip out. I think maybe she is looking for some help from her new neighbor. Thank you for a special review once again... cheers, my friend... cheers... Gary...

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 10/30/2015 02:17 AM, flamingo136 said:

It's fun watching Nate and Bodie interact together,each attracted to the other....but not quite sure if the other would return the feeling. Unfortunately, most gay people have to agonize over their crushes, hoping against all hope the maybe something will be said or done to remove all doubt from the uber heady situation. Will he like me;kiss me or want to kick my ass? Straight people have to deal with the nervousness issue but usually don't feel like their physical well being could be in jeopardy.

The big pay off comes when the two involved realize that they are safe with each other...and can explore their attractions. It's great to have supportive adults around on both sides for the boys...this is an exciting and nerve wracking time for them both.........Loved the chapter, Gary..GREAT JOB......:) Mike

Thanks, Mike! Great insights. I think the key word here is safety. That relief when you know you have found a kindred spirit. It's a tough road to navigate when we are young. As I said in an earlier reply, I wanted to show the magic that sometimes occurs... that leads us to where we need to be... Thanks for a wonderful, well stated review... I like that you find it fun to watch these two... cheers... Gary...

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 10/30/2015 05:41 AM, Suvitar said:

Wow, I didn't have to wait for long to read another chapter :read: and it was a great chapter.

 

Weren't Nate a lucky guy meeting Bodie again :P It sounds like that they have more common than just being gay, something bad has happen to Bodie as well. They are both very lucky to have a new friend, someone who'll understand what the other is going (or has gone) through.

 

Uncle Michael will be such a wonderful parent :thumbup:

Thanks, Suvitar. You were reading so fast, you put the pressure on lol. Just kidding. Is it luck for these two? Coincidence... or maybe fate? We sometimes find what we need, and there's no explaining it. These boys directed me, and I listened... thanks for another great review.... I hope they never stop :) . Cheers, my friend... Gary...

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Bodie and Nate? Kindred spirits? Bound to be drawn to each other? Hmm. Lol
Bodie's hurt was enough to make his mother sad. He is lucky to have a good mom and I am assuming dad too i hope his and Nate's friendship can help heal some of that hurt for both of them. I forget, because I don't always have to remember that when you are gay, there isn't the immediate 'I can flirt with the guy I'm attracted to' thing going on. There is so much to consider, even if you are friends. (I hope you know what Im trying to say) I also hope they figure each other out soon, but I like the awkward, stumbling path they're taking toward that end. They could not have landed better than Kendall and Michael to be on their side, than if they had fallen into Colleen's kitchen.

When Michael said, say something romantic back, my mind rushed ahead thinking, you're going to be sorry! Then Kendall came through with the shower reminder! Ha! that was great!
Another really well written chapter Gary. These are more than just characters and with the addition of Bodie and Nate you've managed to keep us further invested in their well being. Well done.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
On 11/01/2015 10:04 AM, Defiance19 said:

Bodie and Nate? Kindred spirits? Bound to be drawn to each other? Hmm. Lol

Bodie's hurt was enough to make his mother sad. He is lucky to have a good mom and I am assuming dad too i hope his and Nate's friendship can help heal some of that hurt for both of them. I forget, because I don't always have to remember that when you are gay, there isn't the immediate 'I can flirt with the guy I'm attracted to' thing going on. There is so much to consider, even if you are friends. (I hope you know what Im trying to say) I also hope they figure each other out soon, but I like the awkward, stumbling path they're taking toward that end. They could not have landed better than Kendall and Michael to be on their side, than if they had fallen into Colleen's kitchen.

When Michael said, say something romantic back, my mind rushed ahead thinking, you're going to be sorry! Then Kendall came through with the shower reminder! Ha! that was great!

Another really well written chapter Gary. These are more than just characters and with the addition of Bodie and Nate you've managed to keep us further invested in their well being. Well done.

LOL. Is there fate at play here? I know exactly what you're trying to say, Def. You said it perfectly. Straight guys can look at girls and send them messages, like, that they're interested. Gay guys have to be very careful, and try to hide how they're feeling, and sometimes that's very hard to do. It's hard to feign disinterest when you head and heart are saying 'holy crap'. It's a risk. Yeah, Michael should have known better lol. He got more than he bargained for, but he's not really complaining. Sitting is good. :) . Thanks for another one of your amazing reviews, Def... hope you feeling better... cheers, my friend... Gary...

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Firstly, I remember seeing the 1981 Chevy pickup in a vintage cars expo :yes: it was quite beautiful :D ...no wonder big mike loves it so much :yes: ....but I was always confused for what people living in cities would need a pickup for :unsure: I love Nodie :D while I never understand teenage love (I was a really boring teenager) , I could quite relate to the attraction that is intense enough to make your mouth dry and take the words of mouth :*) , Mira"s conversation with Michael says that Not only she knows Bodie is gay and is okay with it but also that she is comfortable and used to it as well :unsure: Michael's conversation with Kendall is quite hilarious :rofl: especially this part

 

Michael gave an ironic snort. “We think alike, Kendall. That’s what I thought, but it turns out Bodie cut his hand, and his mom brought him to the walk-in clinic in the mall, so unless Bodie was willing to slice his hand open to see Nate, it was just a coincidence. I ended up having a unusual and interesting conversation with Miranda as a matter of fact.”


here I was like OMG, he actually might have done that :o or would do that i a couple of years :gikkle: .....and when Michael asked Kendall to be romantic, I was like this is going to be fun :D and it was :rofl: ....this was such a cheerful chapter Gary :hug: thank you
  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 11/04/2015 05:23 PM, Victor Gutte said:

Firstly, I remember seeing the 1981 Chevy pickup in a vintage cars expo :yes: it was quite beautiful :D ...no wonder big mike loves it so much :yes: ....but I was always confused for what people living in cities would need a pickup for :unsure: I love Nodie :D while I never understand teenage love (I was a really boring teenager) , I could quite relate to the attraction that is intense enough to make your mouth dry and take the words of mouth :*) , Mira"s conversation with Michael says that Not only she knows Bodie is gay and is okay with it but also that she is comfortable and used to it as well :unsure: Michael's conversation with Kendall is quite hilarious :rofl: especially this part

 

Michael gave an ironic snort. “We think alike, Kendall. That’s what I thought, but it turns out Bodie cut his hand, and his mom brought him to the walk-in clinic in the mall, so unless Bodie was willing to slice his hand open to see Nate, it was just a coincidence. I ended up having a unusual and interesting conversation with Miranda as a matter of fact.”

here I was like OMG, he actually might have done that :o or would do that i a couple of years :gikkle: .....and when Michael asked Kendall to be romantic, I was like this is going to be fun :D and it was :rofl: ....this was such a cheerful chapter Gary :hug: thank you

Thanks, Victor! I love your reviews, and this one is no exception. I used to have an 81 Chevy, and I loved it. I think Nodie have that lightning strikes kind of connection, and whils they are still far from grown up, it appears to be real. the real ones can last a lifetime. Michael should have known better than to ask Kendall to say something romantic... but he's not complaining :) . Thanks, buddy... you made my night... cheers... Gary...

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Gah, I'm way behind on my reviewing, but luckily for me, everyone else have covered all the main points, so I can focus on the chapter title and note.
Learning a new game can be applied to more than one aspect of the chapter. There is the obvious one of being a father of a teen or even two, for a little while. Then there is dealing with Bodie's mom outing him and at the same time saying he's had a hard time. Michael had to make up his own rules for that one on the fly, so he needed to talk it over with Kendall afterwards. I'm not surprised he was relieved to hear he'd played his hand the best way. And finally he has to figure out how to support Nate and Bodie in developing a friendship - and perhaps more, without letting on that he knows about Bodie, and that he has outed Nate to Mira.
I'm not surprised the chapter note says 'Are there instructions for this?' since I can easily imagine Ace and Deuce desperately trying to work it out. But the beautiful thing is that both of them only have to look into their own hearts and past, in order to know what to do.

  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 11/11/2015 07:56 AM, Timothy M. said:

Gah, I'm way behind on my reviewing, but luckily for me, everyone else have covered all the main points, so I can focus on the chapter title and note.

Learning a new game can be applied to more than one aspect of the chapter. There is the obvious one of being a father of a teen or even two, for a little while. Then there is dealing with Bodie's mom outing him and at the same time saying he's had a hard time. Michael had to make up his own rules for that one on the fly, so he needed to talk it over with Kendall afterwards. I'm not surprised he was relieved to hear he'd played his hand the best way. And finally he has to figure out how to support Nate and Bodie in developing a friendship - and perhaps more, without letting on that he knows about Bodie, and that he has outed Nate to Mira.

I'm not surprised the chapter note says 'Are there instructions for this?' since I can easily imagine Ace and Deuce desperately trying to work it out. But the beautiful thing is that both of them only have to look into their own hearts and past, in order to know what to do.

Thanks, Tim for another one of your awesome reviews. Handling teenagers should come with instructions, but it doesn't. You have make decisions on the fly all the time. Like the example you cited, how do you handle a distraught woman inadvertently outing her son to you... you do what M did. You try to make her feel better, and then afterwards you question yourself. lol. Michael can sense what Bodie and Nate mean to each other, and even that they possible NEED each other, but, like you said, how far does he go in assisting them? Tough call. Your last sentence sums it all up. They have everything it takes to learn and play this new game, because they have each other. Much appreciated review, my friend... cheers... Gary...

  • Love 1
Link to comment

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..