Jump to content
    Krista
  • Author
  • 4,863 Words
  • 9,750 Views
  • 2 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Something Unexpected - 1. Chapter 1

“Honey you’re going to be late for your first day again!” Mom yelled from the bottom of the stairs. “I don’t know why you have to spend more time getting ready on the first day of school and not for the rest of them.” She continued getting frustrated.


“Mom come on, the first day always suck.” I said as I slammed down my hair gel losing the battle with that stray hair that just wouldn’t stick right.


“Well you’re going to miss the bus and then you’re going to cause me to be late and I can’t be late!” She bellowed. I heard as she took a few steps up and stopping in the middle of that staircase.


“Alright I’m finished.” I said spitting toothpaste. Glancing at myself one more time, I sighed and then walking out of the bathroom that was connected to my bedroom. I grabbed the notebooks and pens I bought two weeks before school started and walked out to the top of the stairs.


“Please did you even pay attention to your hair?” Mom said grimacing preparing to rub it down with her hand.


“Mom don’t it’s how I like it.” I said ducking out of the way. “I just spent all this time fixing it.” I continued blocking her second attempt.


“Kids these days.” She countered weakly shaking her head. “Laura two minutes you’re riding the bus today!” Mom then announced as I passed her walking down the stairs. Laura was my older sister who was going to be senior as I was starting my freshman year. She looked just like my mother would at 17. Short light brown hair, dark dull blue eyes, she was short and thin with bigger boobs than most girls her height and age had. My friends always wanted to sneak a peek into her room when they visited. And once she caught my friend Jake peeking and blacked his eye. Well to say the least, none of my friends were that brave again.


“Mother the little shit can survive on his own he’s bigger than me anyway.” Laura protested walking out of her room dressed in a blue shirt, denim shorts, and flip-flops as she calls them. She crossed her arms coming to a stop to face mom.


“Watch your language.” Mom ordered in a rough tone for a woman.


“Sorry! Still mom he’s fourteen.” Laura countered looking at me at the bottom on the stairs. “No one is going to mess with him. He’s built stronger than most of the idiots on our route.” Laura continued smiling up at me as I posed proudly with my chest jutting out.


“You’re still riding the bus with Andrew and that’s final.” Dad announced from behind Laura causing Laura to jump. “Now stop arguing with your mother and get out of here, good luck, I love you both, have fun and all that junk.” Dad continued smiling and scratching his head sleepily.


“Come on Andy.” Laura said walking past me as she heard the bus screech to a halt outside.


The bus was empty of kids, only older people too old to drive. It wasn’t a school bus as too many kids lived in walking distance of the school that we went to. It was the only public school in the city so it was the best kept and had the most enrolled. There were three hundred freshmen joining the high school from the many middle schools scattered out around the town. I used bus rides such as this one to think since who was there to talk to? So after getting on the bus, I followed my sister to her seat sitting in the open one behind her. Since she slammed her book bag and purse down beside her letting me know not to sit with her. I let my mind wonder.


We lived in the rich part of town. My mother was the best cosmetic surgeon in the state of California. And my dad owned a lot of businesses throughout the Midwest and California. He had just gotten back from a business trip to Nevada and I felt bad that our loud family discussion on the stairs had woken him. It was nice having such successful parents, but I hated that I rarely saw them.


As other kids, who I didn’t know, got on the bus at the next stop it made my mind jump from my parents and their jobs to school. I was so worried that I’d be forgotten by what little friends I had in middle school. I wasn’t the loser that everyone picked on, but I didn’t put up with the popular jerks and bitches that picked on kids like that either. I wasn’t huge on partying or sex. I mean I’m just fourteen. So that limited me to a small group of friends with the same interests that I had. I had never had a girlfriend. I didn’t see the point in having them. The girls that fawned over me annoyed me so I just gave up and told them that I wasn’t interested and that they had wasted their time. One instant caused me to be slapped causing people to think that I had said something perverted to be on the receiving end of a left hand.


“What are you thinking about?” Laura asked me snapping her fingers in front of my face.


“School and stuff.” I answered vaguely.


“Worried that you won’t have a girlfriend?” Laura asked smirking a little. “I mean you’re not that smart or attractive to look at.” Laura continued as she waved a little boy on when he attempted to sit with her.


“I’m not ugly!” I argued looking at her and blushing. I had said that a little too loud and some of the older people looked around staring at me.


“So you think you’re dumb then?” Laura asked snickering.


“Well at least I haven’t walked into any walls yet.” I countered smiling as the blush crept across her face.


“Shut the fuck up.” She whispered as she slapped me across the back of the head. Getting bored with me she turned back around and slipped on her Walkman.

I wasn’t ugly I thought. I had light blue eyes, dark brown hair, I had a California tan, and I was tall and worked out a lot for basketball so I had a nicely sculpted body. I never want to look like a body builder. And at this stage of growth, I knew the man-boobs had to go. I was taller than my mom and sister by more than a couple of inches. I stood at about 6’2” definitely tall for my age, but not awkward in my steps. Today I was wearing a maroon and yellow Abercrombie shirt and dark denim with brown boots. All of that built into one package and that was what I looked like.

“Hey can I sit here?” A boy’s voice snapped me out of my thoughts. Not looking at him I calmly moved my bag from the seat beside me and shoved it between my legs to the floor.


“Sure.” I said motioning for him to sit down looking up at him and smiling politely.


“Great, thanks!” He said, “I’m Jase.” He continued extending his hand.


“Andy.” I replied taking his hand and shaking it confidently. He had a backpack with him too and he looked to be my age maybe in the grade ahead of me.


“Are you enrolled at Redmont High?” I asked as I released his hand. Thinking that I had held on to it longer than I should have.


“Yeah, I’m a freshman there.” Jase replied smiling over at me.


“I am too.” I continued smiling back at Jase.


“Alright shit-head.” Laura started but stopped as she turned around. She started blushing as she saw that I had someone sitting with me, “Andy we’re about at school I’ll show you where freshman orientation is. Do you have your cell?” She continued quickly.


“OK, yeah I have it with me why?” I said taking it out of my pants pocket as Jase looked on.


“I was just checking. I want you to call me if you get into trouble or lost alright?” Laura asked.


It embarrassed me, but it was nice to know that she had my back if I needed her. She really did care about me even though she always called me shit-head. How nice to be loved like that.


“OK, I will.” I said glancing over at Jase the embarrassment still showing on my face.


“So are you going to introduce me to your seat partner?” Laura asked me and then she looked over at Jase and smiled.


“Oh his name is Jase and he’s a freshman.” I said as Jase offered his hand to her. “That’s Laura my loud bitchy sister.” I continued earning a smack with Laura’s free hand as she shook Jase’s hand.


“Oh a freshman, well have fun kiddies.” Laura stated as she looked over us both before standing up. “Welcome to Redmont High.” She continued as we fell in line behind her.


Redmont was huge as I expected. It did look well kept. This was one of the more safe parts of California. Kids were hustling around hugging, talking on their phones and doing their own things. It was an interesting site as I walked through the people. Kids from all different groups and ages were conversing out in the front grounds of the school. Security guards and other faculty stood on high perches over looking the crowd. I expected the school to be safe guarded, as there are so many kids here. The campus was divided between the classes. Each class had their own section. The school grounds, library, gym, and lunchrooms are the only communal areas where everyone could gather to be social. The sections weren't off limits or restricted from students in higher or lower classes, just the subjects and teachers who taught them were divided. This made it more organized for students to find their way around. The school had many different groups and activities for people to become more active. I had read the brochure of the school when they sent it to me in the mail.


I hadn’t moved too far from the bus stop when I stopped to look around and study the faces. I was starting to become just as worried as I was on the bus before Jase and Laura had interrupted me. Jase hadn’t left my side. When I looked over, he was also studying faces and watching people. His eyes moving rapidly as his face turned slightly from side to side.


“Andy!” A familiar voice screeched from the left of me. It caused Jase and I to turn to look at the person who had said my name. It was Ann. She was on the girls’ basketball team in middle school where we had become friends. She was as big a fan of the sport as I was. She had auburn colored hair and green eyes. She was destined to be a model if she ever got over her fear of heels. She was dragging Mandy along with her. Mandy had tried to get me to go out with her, but she really genuinely wasn’t hurt when I told her I wasn’t interested in dating her. She was tanned, thin; she had black hair, and the brightest blue eyes I had ever seen. Her eyes could kill you when you wronged her. I noticed their intensity when a girl called her a bitch when she accidentally walked into her in the seventh grade. Their boyfriends and my friends Tim and Evan were walking casually behind them. Mandy and Ann temporarily forgot them when they had spotted me. Tim and Evan were on the football team in middle school, but I doubt they’d make the team this year in high school. They weren’t the best players in their positions last year.


“Hey guys.” I replied as they finally dodged their way through the crowd to get to where I was standing. The worried feeling leaving me as the group that I spent my time with was reunited again after a long summer where everyone did their own thing.


“We have been looking all over for you.” Mandy said. She put her hand in Tim’s when Tim and Evan had finally caught up to them. Evan had draped his arm protectively over Ann’s shoulder. He could be a bit possessive, but Ann wasn’t an outwardly flirtatious girl.


“Well you found me.” I said noticing that Jase had started walking off in the direction of an unoccupied bench.


“Where are you going Jase?” I asked causing him to turn and look at me. My friends followed my gaze and looked at him too.


“I was going to just leave you alone to catch up.” He said finally.

“Well come meet my friends.” I said feeling like a dog. I hadn’t been polite and introduced him.

“OK.” Jase said and smiled walking back up to us.

“Jase this is Ann, Mandy, Evan, and Tim.” I said pointing to each of them. “This is Jase. We met on the bus.” I continued stepping aside to let them greet him.

“I haven’t seen anyone from Middleton.” Jase announced frowning.


“Middleton isn’t in this high schools district so you might not. Of course this is a huge ass school.” Ann said looking around at all the people. “Who knows though,” she continued in a careful motherly tone.


“Yeah.” Jase said scratching his head.


“Well orientation is fixing to start so we better get on our way kiddos.” Laura said walking up to us.


“Alright.” I grumbled and started walking with her. Laura had found her boyfriend Rob. He looked pissed that he had to help Laura herd the new kids everywhere. I didn’t like Rob. He was always criticizing Laura or reprimanding her for the things she did. I never confronted Laura about it since it wasn’t my thing to be confrontational, but I made a promise to protect her even though she didn’t know that I had. She could do so much better than that sausage anyway.


“Hurry up baby and get these shits to where they need to be.” Rob spat sticking his hands into his pockets.


“It’ll only be a few seconds. You can meet up with the guys soon enough.” Laura whined as she pointed us in the right direction and said, “It’s boring and the teachers keep repeating everything over and over again. Most of the information is nothing important, but don’t fall asleep you’ll get detention…” Laura started, but Rob interrupted her.


“Come on Laura damn.” Rob ordered taking her hand in his and pulled her away a little less gently than I would have liked.


“I hate that guy.” Mandy said watching on as Laura was pulled over where the seniors were sitting at the table in the foyer.


“I hate him too.” I spat out as I opened the door, holding it for everyone to enter. Rob wasn’t her type I don’t understand how she picked him out of the crowd. He was on the wrestling team from what she’s told me. He was built, he had dirty blond hair, a fair complexion, and wasn’t smart at all.


Sitting through orientation was hell. Papers were flying everywhere and you could hear as teachers scolded kids and people were laughing, not paying attention.


“This is fucking retarded.” Tim announced, “I vote we skip sophomore orientation all together.” He continued putting his arm on Mandy’s chair as she laid her head on it using it as a pillow, shutting her eyes.


“So you’re from Middleton?” I asked Jase who had sat down beside me. He had on a light green shirt with some weird design on it. He also had on denim jeans and sneakers. His hair was a shaggy highlighted blond, his eyes were brown, and his skin was tanned slightly, but not dark. He looked like he had a swimmer’s body under those clothes as I found myself studying him for the first time.


“Yeah, and it looks like I’m the only one from there.” Jase said still studying people in the dimly lit theatre hall.


“Did you go out for any sports in Middleton?” I asked him and he finally turned to look at me giving up.


“Swimming and track.” He said smiling.


“Oh, that’s cool.” I said causing him to smile.


“Come on its time to pick up schedules.” Evan said snapping Jase and me out of our conversation. Mandy stretched and yawned then started brushing her hair as she had fallen asleep on Tim’s arm. Tim was rubbing his arm trying to get the blood flowing again. Ann had already started walking down the stairs getting lost in the crowd.


“Ann wait up!” Evan bellowed, but she kept walking to the front of the stage where teachers were going frantic trying to organize them with little progress.


“This is going to take hours.” I announced sitting back down annoyed. “I can wait I’m not in any hurry.” I said watching everyone walk off leaving me alone. I felt like the stupid one for staying back by myself, as I was the only person still sitting. Everyone else was obviously more excited about getting the day started than I was. First day sucks anyway; people are too afraid that they’re going to make a mistake ruining them for the rest of the year. They’re afraid that they’ll be the ones that the bullies pick on this year or the one that always becomes the teachers’ pet for some odd reason.


“Who are you?” A man asked from the end of the row I was sitting in. He had a thick packet of paper with him.


“Andrew Keller.” I answered as he started flipping through the packet.


“You need to be getting your schedule instead of wasting time up here.” The man announced before walking off to reprimand two boys who were running up the stairs. As I started to make the walk to the front of the stage dodging people who had already gotten their schedules. I heard them complaining to their friends that they had no classes with so and so. I’m always comfortable in classes by myself. Its lunch that has me freaked. I didn’t want to sit alone at lunch and I didn’t want to be caught in the bathroom eating it either.


“K’s are over there sir.” An older teacher pointed me in the direction after I told her my name. I then got in the back of the line trying to look like I was minding my own business, but I strained to hear what people were talking about. The two in front of me were talking about teachers that their parents had and hoping they didn’t have them.


“You still in line?” Ann said appearing with her schedule.


“Yeah, I just got in line.” I answered startled a bit by her sudden appearance.


“Oh, well I have it easy this semester.” Ann announced handing me her schedule.


“You think advanced Algebra and Introduction to Physics and Chemistry is easy?” I said frowning as I handed her back the schedule.


“Yes, it’s the teachers that I’m worried about.” Ann countered folding up her schedule and tucking it in her pants pocket standing in line beside me.


“You should have come with me, I was one of the first people in our line.” Ann stated condescendingly taking a step forward. Her last name was King and we would have been in line together if I hadn’t been lazy.


“OK mom! I’ll do that next year.” I said shaking my head and looking at her. “Do you know if any one else has their schedules yet?” I asked looking around to see if I could see anyone.


“No, I say they’re a lot closer to getting it than you are though.” Ann answered dodging a girl who looked pissed.


“I hope they don’t give me the classes you have.” I announced, “If they do I hope I have them with you so you can save my ass.” I continued.


“They based it on grades and referrals from middle school.” Ann said studying me. “I had straight A’s in Math and Science so they put me in those classes.” Ann continued.


“Great I had straight A’s in everything.” I answered shaking my head. “There goes basketball season if I have classes like that.” I whined.


“Quit worrying about it.” as Ann mothered me by rubbing my arm and smiling amused that I was complaining.


“Maybe you were hell to teach and so the teachers gave you bad referrals.” Ann said letting her hand drop at her side.


“You know that isn’t the case.” I said remembering middle school. I had against my will become two of my teacher’s favorites. Out of two hundred eighth graders that says something. I was an ass kissing over achiever and I was going to be put through hell this year for it.


“Well at least you’ll have gym to look forward to. It’s required for every freshman.” Ann said grimacing. She hated gym classes, “Its in the morning and if you don’t want to stink you have to shower. I don’t like showering with other girls no matter who they are.” Ann continued blushing slightly as other people heard her say the last part and turned to glance at her.


“You can always sneak into the boys’ locker room to shower.” I countered in the best sexy voice I have, while rubbing two fingers up her arm.


“Well if I you had the same gym class with me, that wouldn’t happen. I want to keep my eyes and sanity thank you.” Ann spat grabbing my hand in both of hers and crushing it the best she could.


“That doesn’t hurt.” I said laughing at her causing her to drop my hand and start laughing with me.


“You know you have a really sexy voice and I’m impressed.” Ann announced louder than what I liked.


“Shut it, Ann my lord.” I said in a hushed voice my face flushing a crimson red color.


“Aw, poor baby is blushing.” Ann countered laughing at me. I heard a few giggles coming from people ahead and behind us in line.


It took over thirty minutes for me to get my schedule and Ann was there to make me blush every minute of it. No one else had come to look for us. So Ann never left my side to go find Evan. I could tell she wanted to be latched on to someone on the first day and I was glad she had found me instead of Evan. I didn’t want to search for classes alone either.


“Oh fuck!” I whined looking at the schedule.


“What?” Ann said as I handed her my schedule.


“Well at least you have two classes with me.” Ann stated laughing at me.


“I knew this would happen.” I said rubbing my temples already dreading the year.


“Hey it’s a good thing to get into seven advanced classes out of eight. Colleges look at that kind of stuff.” Ann announced.


“Not if you fail miserably in all of them.” I said walking out of the theatre room.


“All we have to do is meet up with teachers, find class rooms, go to lunch and then we have the rest of the day free. So come on lets get this over with quick.” Ann announced walking beside me.


“We know where the gym is so we don’t need to go find that one until last.” I stated pointing to the doors labeled gym.


“Freshman hall is right there.” Ann said looking at the school map. The school was large enough to have a map and I frowned. The joys of living in a large community I thought turning down the hall.


“Hey shit-head let me see your schedule.” Laura said appearing at the entrance of the hallway just around the corner. She didn’t wait for me to hand it to her as she grabbed it out of my hand. “Damn your life sucks.” Laura announced her eyes widening as she ran her finger down the list looking at each class.


“Let me see yours Ann.” Laura said handing mine back to me and taking hers actually waiting to be offering it.


“Mr. Arnold in English 1 is a dick don’t talk to him and he’ll leave you alone.” Laura announced. “At least he’ll pass three classes. Unless he finds a way to fail gym.” Laura continued looking at Ann and smiling as she handed her schedule back.


“See you after school Andy.” Laura said patting me on the shoulder in mock concern.


Finding classes were relatively easy since they were all on one huge hallway on the bottom floor. The sophomore class is at the back of the school and the junior and seniors are on the second and third floor each having a floor to themselves. The teachers were all loaded down and frustrated. When we talked to them, they searched for our names checking them off and we were on our way.


“Well its lunch time. We have the same lunch hour during regular school hours.” Ann happily announced and I breathed a sigh of relief hoping she hadn't notice it.


“Someone is relieved.” Ann announced not looking at me.


“Yeah, well it would just suck to eat alone surrounded my a lot of people.” I played it off the best I could, but her slight giggle told me she hadn’t bought it. Entering the serving area we grabbed our boxes that had sandwiches, fruits and vegetables. Paying for lunch we walked through the doors, leaving the line.


“These lunches suck. I hate uncooked meat.” Ann said shaking her box a little.


“Yeah it doesn’t fill me up either.” I agreed as we both stopped searching the lunchroom for the best spot to claim as our table.


“There’s Mandy!” Ann screeched looking in her direction. Mandy had a lot of guys sitting with her and she looked annoyed as she tried to ignore them.


“Looks like she needs rescuing.” I said walking quickly to the full table.


“Sorry guys she’s taken.” I announced after clearing my throat to get their attention. I looked at them and they weren’t Mandy’s type anyway. They were all loud and small framed. “Now piss off. I need a seat.” I continued sitting down my food on the table.


“I need a seat too, little boys!” Ann protested as only one of them stood and walked off. “Why don’t you all leave so we won’t have to look at you as we try to eat our already nasty ass lunch?” Ann continued causing them all to frown and get up.


“Bitch.” One of the larger guys countered as he stood and looked at her.


“Apologize or you’ll have my fist down your throat.” Evan growled as he had walked up from between Ann and me and got in the guys face.


“Sorry!” The guy stammered out through gritted teeth. He wasn’t too scared of Evan in his face, but he looked apprehensive still.


The rest of the day went by fairly easily. But one thing was in the back of my mind as I was now sitting back on the bus waiting for it to take off. Laura had looked me over and she was pleased that I looked unharmed or insane yet so she didn’t ask any questions. She was talking to Rob and saying goodbye to him, I watched as he kissed her and walked off. The driver announced the ten-minute warning through the loud speakers to the crowd outside. That thing that was on my mind though was Jase. I hadn’t seen him since he walked down to get his schedule. One person out of thousands is hard to find, but I was wondering what had happened to him. He was alone in the school so he probably ate lunch alone and I frowned thinking about it. He hadn’t told me that he had different arrangements after school so I was biting my lip in anticipation as he was losing time. The bus wouldn't wait after ten minutes.


“Two minute warning.” The driver announced over the speakers again before turning on the loud engine and began to wait. Two minutes past and the bus lurched forward as it took off in the direction of my house. I frowned and I watched until the school was out of site. I wondered what happened to that boy who I lost in the crowd and had unexpected for. They stayed with me through out the day and when I went to sleep preparing for the next day. I made a promise to make sure I watch out for him not knowing whom he was. It took some time getting to sleep and I don’t remember when I actually fell asleep, but I had a smile on my face all the same.

Copyright © 2010 Krista; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 15
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Guess what ? I have started another of your stories. Funny, I like it warts and all.

Link to comment
On 03/20/2013 05:02 PM, Foster said:
Guess what ? I have started another of your stories. Funny, I like it warts and all.
Sam Sam.. lol.. please be gentle. :P
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..