Jump to content
    Krista
  • Author
  • 4,904 Words
  • 3,409 Views
  • 1 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Something Unexpected - 26. Chapter 26

I wanted Mom to approve of Chandler going to the cabin with me. It was so much more than that though. I didn’t want to hide anything else from her and if she had given her approval of him then that meant that she approved of him altogether. I think I needed that from someone since I couldn’t get it from Laura.

“Andy is that you?” She asked from the kitchen.

“Yeah, mom.” I answered and she appeared from the kitchen.

“Oh, hi Chandler.” Mom greeted straightening out her hair. “How are you?”

“I’m fine Mrs. Keller.” He answered taking her hand and shaking it gently.

“Oh please call me Gwen.” She offered smiling. “Mrs. Keller is just too old.”

“Mom, you are no spring chicken.” I stammered lightly. I was slightly embarrassed at how mom slightly flirted with him.

“Oh I don’t know.” Chandler said smiling. “She doesn’t look much older than your sister.”

“Have you been self-medicating yourself mom?” I asked looking at her. She did look slightly younger to me as well. I hadn’t noticed it until I studied her face.

“Um well now.” She stammered blushing slightly. “Dinner will be ready soon, Chandler, nice meeting you finally.”

“You too Gwen.” Chandler responded then mom disappeared. I wanted to laugh, but why was my mom trying to make herself look younger? And when had she started this?

“What’s cookin?” Laura asked walking down the stairs.

“It’s chicken alfredo dear.” Mom answered and then Laura looked at me and Chandler standing in the middle of the living room.

“Don’t think us talking Chandler, makes anything different.” Laura whispered stepping closer to us. “I still don’t like you being with my brother.”

“It’ fine Laura.” I countered crossing my arms. “I thought we were past all this.”

“No.” She said simply. “Not even close.”

“Oh, ok.” I said quickly. “So maybe he should have let me be manhandled.”

“What are you three talking about?” Mom asked smiling as she entered the living room.

“Nothing.” Laura said turning to mom. “Just school and stuff like that.”

“Oh.” Mom said then looked at me. “Dinner is ready.”

“Thanks.” I said walking past Laura with Chandler following me. I wasn’t going to let Laura’s feelings towards Chandler ruin dinner. I just hopes she kept her mouth shut when I was trying to get Chandler into the cabin for the weekend.

“Why don’t you fix Chandler’s plate?” Mom asked looking at me as I sat down. “Since he’s your guest.”

“Oh, I’m able.” Chandler said standing. “I can do it Andy.”

“No, Let him do it.” Laura said smiling. “Andy go fix his plate.”

“I am.” I said looking at both my Mom and Laura before I walked into the kitchen from the dining room to fix Chandler a plate. When I got back with my plate and Chandler’s I found him and mom laughing and Laura rolling her eyes.

“Yes, I would have to admit he did look cute in dolls dresses when he was younger.” Mom said causing Chandler to laugh harder.

“Mom!” I hissed sitting down at the table. “You just had to.”

“I’m sorry honey, but it’s my favorite story.” Mom said then stood. “Laura are you hungry?”

“Not anymore.” Laura mumbled then flipped her hair back putting her elbows on the table. She looked as if she could strangle Chandler lifeless if she had the chance. She wasn’t liking this at all.

“Oh well, I’ll fix you a plate just in case.” Mom said getting up and leaving the dining room.

“Laura.” I said in a low voice. “Why don’t you tell Chandler what you want to tell him so we can all just get this over with.”

“What?” Chandler asked looking at me. “Andy I…”

“Ok.” Laura said looking at Chandler. “Did you know that you made my life hell?”

“What?” Chandler asked turning to look at her.

“You made my life hell.” Laura whispered. “You did what you did to me.”

“I’m sorry Laura.” Chandler offered then Laura shook her head.

“I didn’t know what you were trying to prove doing that to me.” Laura said blinking. “You done so much damage and I will not let you do that to Andy.”

“I was stupid when that happened.” Chandler stuttered then started breathing heavily.

“Why’d you do it?” I asked him and he turned to look at me then he turned back to Laura.

“Because I was trying to see if I could.” Chandler answered me then Laura sniffled getting up out of her seat. “To see if I could be with girls.”

“Have you really changed Chandler?” Laura asked as she grabbed her napkin.

“Yes I have changed.” Chandler answered her and Laura turned and walked out of the living room. Then Chandler looked at me before he nodded.

“Chandler?” I asked carefully. If I had known it’d be this terrible I wouldn’t have said anything. It was too late now.

“I’m going to go. I’ll see you at your game.” Chandler said standing then he walked out of the door that Laura had walked through. Then my mom entered from the kitchen carrying two plates.

“Where did they all go?” Mom asked sitting down the plates.

“Oh, Chandler had to leave unexpectedly.” I answered and started picking at my food. “And Laura isn’t feeling all that well right now.”

“Did something happen?” Mom asked sitting down at the table beside me.

“Yeah, something that needed to happen a long time ago.” I answered her and she looked confused then I got up and grabbed Laura’s plate as well as mine. “I think I’ll go see if she wants this.”

“Ok, honey.” She said smiling. “I think I’ll go into work, Chandler can go with you to the Cabin if that means I can trust you.”

“You can mom.” I said blushing slightly. “I love you.”

“Ok, dear.” She said and I walked out then I walked up the stairs. Laura’s door was open a little bit so I pushed it the rest of the way open to find her looking at me.

“Laura, I thought you might actually be hungry.” I said carefully and she smiled.

“I’m starving.” She said and I offered her plate to her and she took it.

“Are you ok?” I asked sitting on her bed and putting my plate in my lap then started eating.

“Yeah.” She answered. “Sorry I ruined dinner.”

“Well if it means that you’re ok with Chandler then it was worth it.” I said looking at her.

“It’ll take a lot of time to stop hating him.” She said flatly. “But I think I can get over it.”

“You don’t have to.” I said looking at her. “Because I don’t think I could ever stop hating Jess.”

“Well at least Jess won’t come crashing into your life like Chandler keeps doing.” Laura said in an unreadable tone. “Let’s hope anyway.”

“Yeah.” I said frowning. I didn’t want to think about that at all. “So are you coming to the cabin?”

“No.” Laura answered shaking her head slightly. “Because me and your friends wouldn’t mix.”

“Sure you would.” I said smiling. “Anne and Mandy are just like younger versions of you.”

“Wow. I never thought I’d think that girls at your cabin with you would be absolutely safe.” Laura said laughing slightly. “I mean mom needs to worry about you and Chandler.”

“Well I’m glad you’re amused.” I said shrugging. “Mandy, Anne, and Jase are my only friends left though.”

“Evan and Tim still scared to be seen with you?” Laura asked crossing her arms.

“Yeah, still scared.” I answered shaking my head. “I guess I could see that never changing.”

“Some people are just stupid.” Laura offered then I nodded and we finished eating. We talked for a little while longer until I got tired and took the dishes downstairs then took a shower. Laura came to my room and told me goodnight and I got into bed. Then after Laura turned off her light leaving me in complete darkness I had to turn my lamp on. I then walked down to the kitchen and found some sleeping pills then sighed and took some before heading back up to my room. About twenty minutes later I finally fell asleep.

“Andy wake up.” Laura said then shook me furiously. “You slept through your alarm clock and through me coming in here and trying to wake you up.”

“What time is it?” I asked groggily.

“Oh, I think you have just a few minutes to get ready or you’ll be late for your workout session.” Laura answered rolling off the covers. “Why are you so sleepy?”

“I couldn’t sleep that well last night.” I said opening my eyes to look at her. “Sorry.”

“Hey, it’s not my ass on the line.” Laura said laughing slightly. “You’re the one that’s going to be slaughtered if you’re late.”

“Yeah, yeah.” I sighed sitting up. “Thanks.” I then walked past Laura who was now sitting on my bed. Then I grabbed some clothes and went into the bathroom and hoped the shower was going to wake me up. Then when I got out and got dressed I saw that Laura hadn’t moved from the spot that I had left her.

“Ready to go?” She asked looking me over.

“Yeah.” I said and I grabbed my ball bag. “We better hurry.”

“Uh, yeah.” Laura said pushing me out the door. We both rode in silence as I slowly started to wake up. When we arrived at the school the gym was already filling up as people wanted to see the first game of the year.

“Damn.” I said looking things over. “Let’s hope we win.”

“Why?” Laura asked unbuckling her seatbelt.

“Could you imagine having that many people hate your guts?” I asked and she laughed.

“Well no.” Laura said shrugging. “So don’t fuck up shit-head.”

“Yeah yeah.” I hissed, “You are full of pick me ups.”

“I know, but get your ass running into that gym you have two minutes before you’re late.” Laura said glancing at her watch. “I can’t believe people actually show up to see you work out and shit before the game.”

“Well this high school does have it’s winning reputation.” I sighed getting out of the car. I had accidentally left my bag in the car but when I turned around I saw Laura had gotten it for me.

“I swear Andy if your head wasn’t attached it’d still be at the house.” Laura said lightly. “What’s wrong?”

“I told you I didn’t sleep.” I said then shook my head furiously to try and get everything back on track. I was never taking those pills again. Getting into the gym I saw Ann running laps with the other girls. There was obviously a double-header, but the girls weren’t that great of a team before. I hoped Ann could change that. I knew she was awesome.

“Hey Andy!” She yelled as she ran past me. I didn’t yell anything back, but I waved at her on my way to the locker room to change. All the other guys were in the weight room working out and I knew I was going to be fussed at as soon as I walked in.

“Keller about damn time you showed your ugly ass.” Coach snapped looking at me.

“Sorry coach.” I offered setting my stuff down and started working out.

“Don’t talk to me just work.” He countered then started walking around trying to rev us all up for it. My heart was racing. I didn’t think I could do it. All of those people watching. I was starting to feel sick so I stopped and stood up. I then jogged over to the trashcan and bent over it. I then lurched and let it all out. I heard a few moans from the team and then others start laughing.

“Are you ok Andy?” Marcus asked as he patted me on the back.

“Yeah.” I whispered then stood grabbing a towel and wiping my mouth. “Just nervous.”

“You better get that under control before you hit that gym.” Coach admonished, “We’re going to sit and watch the girl’s game hopefully you have your shit together before that.”

“I’m ok.” I said looking around the room at everybody. They were all smiling at me. When the time came for the girls to start their game we went out and sat behind their bench. The principal kicked off the start of the season and the girls’ team was introduced. There wasn’t very many people cheering for them. Ann turned around and waved at me. I was glad to have a friend like her. Interested in the same things that I was. I then turned and scanned the crowd looking for my sister. She was sitting up there with Rob in the senior section. Then I saw Chandler sitting with his friends. I saw Mandy sitting with Tim and Evan and I frowned. They were here, but it wasn’t to support me. Mandy didn’t look too happy being sandwiched between them though and I waved at her because she was looking at me and she smiled then shrugged. I didn’t see Jase anywhere though and I only stopped looking around when the game started. I wondered where he was. The game was good. Ann scored a lot of points and they only won by two. It was a good start and by the end of the game people were actually cheering for them. It was looking good, but now there was more pressure on the boys to win. The principal explained that my game wasn’t going to start for another fifteen minutes and I looked around again. Then a hand grabbed my shoulder and I about pissed myself.

“Sorry.” Jase said laughing. “I forgot that you could be a bit jumpy still.”

“It’s ok.” I said turning to look at him. “Did you miss Ann’s game?”

“No, I had to sit with my mom way up there.” Jase answered pointing to a spot that I couldn’t really see from where I was sitting. “It was pretty good.”

“Yeah.” I said shaking my head. “Now watch me fuck it all up.”

“Are you nervous?” Jase asked amused.

“He threw up in the locker room.” Marcus pointed out and Jase looked at him strangely before he turned to me and laughed.

“Well.” Jase said, “Maybe that won’t happen during the game.”

“Maybe.” I sighed, “Then again I may not do shit.”

“It’s not like it’s a different game from before.” Marcus offered, “You know how to play so just play.”

“Yeah.” Jase said, “Just tone everything else out.”

“Nice try guys.” I said then I saw the girls leaving their locker room. They walked over to us and got on the bleachers behind us. They were wearing their suits now over top their uniform.

“Hey guys.” Ann greeted smiling. “We won!”

“I saw that.” I said and she laughed slightly. “You were a monster.”

“Yeah well, I try.” Ann said blushing slightly. “You’ll do good too.”

“Quit talking to the players kids.” Coach ordered standing in front of me. “Especially Andy.”

“Why?” Ann asked and I looked at her and blushed slightly.

“Because he’s already lost his lunch in the locker room trashcan.” Coach answered then walked over to take his seat. “Guys move down to the bench.”

“You threw up?” Ann whispered quickly.

“Yeah.” I answered shrugging. “I’m a wreck.”

“Drink something before you get on the floor, don’t wanna cramp up.” Ann said and I smiled. She was looking after me and I liked that quality about her. As our names were announced and we stood to acknowledge the crowd I became nervous all over again. I was a starting player and coach had to slightly push me to dress down to my playing uniform. I was thankful I didn’t fall or accidentally moon people as I undressed.

“Get yourself under control.” One of the guys urged as we walked away from the huddle to start the game. It annoyed me when he said it. I had a few nervous jitters still as the game started, but like Marcus said they’d go away. We did end up winning, but it wasn’t because of me. I only score six points and I got the ball stolen from me once. I would definitely be scorned for my performance later by coach. I could possibly be benched from the starting line-up as well, but at least he game was over. The fans were happy and not throwing things like I had imagined they’d do if we actually lost. Winning traditions are the hardest to maintain. I then went into the locker room quickly once I noticed that everyone else stayed out on the floor. I wanted to get my things and change before any of the guys got in there with me. It embarrassed me that I had to do this. I didn’t like that I had to. To keep myself sane.

“You’re rushing around.” Marcus said looking at me. I ran into him exiting the locker room.

“Yeah well.” I said trying to think of some good lie to tell. “I have a lot to do before you guys get to the cabin later.”

“Oh, right.” Marcus said smiling. “It’s going to be fun.”

“Hopefully.” I offered and he smiled. “See you then.”

“Yeah.” Marcus said as we parted ways. I needed to find Chandler so that he could take me. I knew he was somewhere in the gym, but there were still a lot of people here and I didn’t really like the crowd. I did notice that a few people looked at me then frowned. I didn’t really know why that was, but I was probably going to find out any minute now. All I would need to do was run into someone with enough audacity to tell me about it.

“Andy, there you are.” Chandler said and I noticed him after he said my name. “Been looking everywhere for you.”

“Yeah, me too.” I said looking past him. “Ready to go?”

“Sure.” Chandler said and I stepped up to walk with him.

“Hold up.” Someone said he was an older man and my heart started racing and I looked over at Chandler who frowned.

“What?” I asked turning to face the man.

“I want to talk to you.” He answered flatly. He crossed his arms. “How’d you make the team?”

“I tried out.” I answered him shrugging. “And was picked.”

“For what reason?” He asked smiling smugly. “Obviously it’s not your talent.”

“Back off!” Chandler warned glaring at him. The man looked at Chandler for a second before turning back to me.

“Your daddy rich or something?” He asked and I didn’t know if I should answer that one. My dad was rich, but it wasn’t the reason I made the team. I hoped anyway. I really don’t know why people took one person’s performance so seriously.

“Yes.” I answered shrugging, “It’s not the reason I’m on the team though so why don’t you just leave me alone?”

“You know what.” He said frowning. “I know why you really made the team. You were something to watch in middle school, so maybe you’re just going to be one of these kids that are just a disappointment. You know the ones that can’t move on to a bigger level.”

“I was one fucking game!” Chandler snapped taking a step forward, but I grabbed his elbow stopping him. “Go back to where ever you were and get the fuck over it.”

“Guys?” Ann asked walking around the guy who was obviously getting pissed at Chandler. “What’s wrong?”

“Nothing.” I answered then grabbed her hand. “We were just leaving.”

“I’m not done.” The man said and then Ann caught on pretty quickly.

“What were you doing?” Ann asked flatly crossing her arms. “Talking shit to some little kid how mature is that?”

“I was just pointing out his shitty performance.” He answered her then he turned to walk away.

“Yeah well find better things to do with your time from now on!” Ann snapped then turned to me. “Are you ok?”

“Yes.” I answered shrugging. “I hate not being able to stand up for my pathetic ass.”

“Well we’re gonna forget about all that real quick.” Chandler said pushing me towards the door.

“I have to get back to my mom I just wanted to come say that I will be a little late tonight.” Ann said offering me a smile. “Not really late, just mom is making me pick up a few things to make sure we had enough.”

“We’re only going to be up there a day and a half.” I said shaking my head. “How much shit does she think we need?”

“You know how protective she is.” Ann answered rolling her eyes. “I had to um tell her that it was chaperoned before I was allowed to go.”

“Ann!” I hissed and she started laughing.

“She won’t check up on me.” Ann offered laughing. “Like you’ve never broken a few rules.” Ann then heard her name being called and waved at us before she jogged off to join her mom.

“Let’s get out of here before someone else decides they want to tell me I suck.” I said and Chandler opened the gym door for me and we walked out. We found his car in the crowded parking lot and we got in.

“I’m sorry people take things so personally.” Chandler said reaching over and patted my leg. “We’re going to have fun this weekend though.”

“Yeah.” I said smiling. “It’s about damn time too.” I then was taken home to pack up some of my clothes. He helped me pack then we stood in the middle of my room and I looked up at him. We really hadn’t been that close recently and I was starting to feel a strain between us. Hopefully we could overcome that part of it too. I was looking forward to this weekend to be a moving forward point for me. I wanted Jess to be completely forgotten and I had high hopes on that happening. That’s when Chandler took a tentative step towards me and when I didn’t back away he wrapped me into a hug then took a deep breath then backed away quickly.

“You stink.” He said waving his hand in front of his nose.

“Oh yeah?” I asked sniffing the air.

“Yeah.” Chandler answered laughing slightly. “Get your ass in that shower while I pack the stuff down to the car.”

“Right.” I said then took some clothes into the bathroom and took a quick shower then got dressed in the bathroom. When I got out Chandler had finished packing my stuff down the stairs and was waiting on my bed.

“It’s been awhile since I’ve been here last.” Chandler said looking around. “You don’t really do much in here do you?”

“No, not really.” I answered him then he stood and we walked to the door. He smelled of me then smiled. I then had to tell him how to get to the cabin. Not long after we arrived and I unlocked the door entering it Marcus called and Chandler told him how to get here.

“This place is nice.” Chandler stated looking around. The ceilings were high. It was a three story cabin including a basement game room and bedroom. It was enough space for a whole extended family to live in and Dad fell in love with it enough to talk the owner into letting him buy it instead of just renting. We never get to come up here much though. Not as a family.

“Yeah.” I shrugged, “I’ll show you the best room to stay in.”

“Oh?” Chandler asked looking at me. “I just thought that you and I were…”

“We are.” I said interrupting him and he smiled grabbing his bag as we both made our way up the winding staircase to the room I normally stayed in when I was here. Once we were there we sat our stuff down. There really was no reason to unpack since we were just going to be leaving tomorrow evening to return to school. A few minutes later Marcus arrived with Jase. We walked back downstairs hearing Jase laughing with Marcus.

“Well look at this.” Jase said looking around.

“Why are you riding with Marcus?” I asked at the bottom of the stairs.

“I for some reason thought that I would be riding with you, but luckily Marcus stopped by and picked me up at your house.” Jase answered looking at Marcus.

“Yeah, I thought I was following you and Chandler here.” Marcus added and I blushed slightly. I had forgotten to arrange all that.

“Oh shit.” I said slightly annoyed at myself. “Sorry about that.”

“It’s ok.” They both said then Chandler smirked causing me to look at him.

“Well at least Mandy and Ann know how to get here.” I said thankful that they did. This is where I’ve had a few of my birthday parties. “Where do you two want to sleep?”

“Where are the bedrooms?” Marcus asked picking up his bags as Jase did the same.

“There’s some downstairs and some upstairs.” I answered looking at them. “There’s enough for everyone to have a room by themselves and if you want to room together then you’ll have to share a bed.”

“Oh.” Marcus said shrugging. “I’ll take a room upstairs.”

“Me too.” Jase said and I nodded.

“Well follow me then.” I said leading the way. I pointed Jase into the first bedroom. Chandler and I had the bedroom in the middle and Marcus would be taking what was normally the master bedroom. It had it’s own bathroom where the other two had a bathroom across the hall. After putting their stuff away we all walked back down the stairs.

“What is there to do here?” Marcus asked sitting down at the bar. There was a well stocked whine cabinet. Julie used to sneak and have parties here and I knew where she stashed everything, but I wasn’t wanting to show them where any of that was though. Not after all the bad luck we had with partying.

“There is some pool tables, a pool and a hot tub out back, and ping pong tables and shit like that in the basement.” I answered them and Marcus and Jase decided on doing some swimming. Chandler was about to take off with him, but I stopped him.

“We have to start grilling.” I said and he laughed slightly.

“You’re the boss.” Chandler said and I looked at him.

“Or you can go and I can do it.” I said shrugging. “It doesn’t really matter.”

“Nah, I’ll let the two of them get nasty in the pool for a little while.” Chandler said winking.

“They’re not even friends.” I said raising an eyebrow. “I thought Jase hated Marcus anyway.”

“Oh well.” Chandler said then Ann and Mandy walked into the door.

“Hey!” Mandy greeted excitedly. “Sorry it took us so long we had to make sure we had everything.”

“Yeah so Mandy is making her brothers pack in her four bags.” Ann said carrying the only two bags she had. “Where are we sleepin?”

“You two have the basement bedrooms.” I answered and I saw Mandy’s little brothers sigh relieved as they overheard me and Ann. Ann then showed them all where to go and after I grabbed what we were going to cook Chandler followed me out to the grill. It was where Marcus and Jase were swimming and I looked at Chandler who smiled at me. Marcus and Jase were looking innocent enough. They were almost on opposite sides of the pool. A few seconds after we started cooking Mandy and Ann came running then jumped into the pool screaming and causing a pretty large splash for it to be two small girls. I was standing close to the pool and got wet. Everyone was laughing and having a good time. This was turning out to be everything I hoped it was going to be. Then I heard the doorbell ringing.

“Who the hell is that?” Chandler asked and I shrugged.

“Come with me.” I said not wanting to go and answer the door by himself.

“Mandy watch the food someone’s at the door.” I said and she got out and hopped over to the grill taking the spatula away from Chandler and he followed me into the house. It was still pretty light out, it was only a little past six o’clock and everyone I invited was here.

“You didn’t invite Laura did you?” Chandler asked quickly, “I mean it would be a little weird with the both of us here.”

“I did, but she said she wasn’t coming.” I answered him then frowned. It was going to take a lot of time for the two of them to be able to get along. If that would ever even happen. It made me feel slightly guilty that I was with Chandler knowing how my sister felt. But I really liked Chandler and I was able to trust him again. Chandler then opened the front door and I crossed my arms. “What the hell?”

Copyright © 2010 Krista; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 6
  • Love 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..