Jump to content
    Krista
  • Author
  • 5,005 Words
  • 4,496 Views
  • 3 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Something Unexpected - 2. Chapter 2

That morning I woke up before my alarm went off. I leapt out of bed and went straight into the shower. I didn’t toss and turn or dream that night like I normally did during school nights. I didn’t really know why I was rushing around getting ready because I was early not late. I didn’t have to be awake for another hour, but I wanted to be ready to run out the door with out hesitation.

“You’re up bright and early.” Mom said smiling as she held on to her cappuccino curled up on a chair with the lights off. She wasn’t a morning person, but neither was I normally. “You’re already dressed too.” As I took a seat in the chair next to her and turning on the lamp. I hated sitting in the dark.

“Yeah, I woke up early.” I announced, stupidly stating the obvious, but I had a lot of things racing through my mind.

“Well, are you ok? Nothing is bothering you is there?” Mom asked sitting down with her cappuccino while smiling warmly at me in the dimmed living room.

“No, I’m fine, just thinking about school.” I offered. Even though school wasn’t on my mind, Jase was. I had been worried about him after he didn’t get on the bus.

“Laura is driving you to school today isn’t she?” Mom asked letting the vague answer slide. She was normally a pushy person wanting answers that weren’t vague like the one I gave her.

“No, I can survive the bus alone.” I answered looking over at her.

“I didn’t let her ride the bus alone, I would feel better if you rode with her.” Mom pleaded standing. “If you don’t want to ride with her you don’t have to, but it would make me feel a lot better.”. I hated when parents used guilt trips to get their way. It was a low tactic that would normally work against me if I didn’t have a hidden agenda that she didn’t know anything about.

“Oh well, I’ll be ok Mom, really. If something happens I have a cell phone. You’re never alone with a cell.” I comforted her as she walked by me on the way to the kitchen. She patted my shoulder and smiled down at me briefly.

“Your dad has a flight to Portland to open the new store. He told me to tell you that he loved you.” Mom said entering the living room after a short pause to munch on a bagel with raspberry flavored cream cheese.

“When did he leave?” I asked looking at the clock above her head. It was only five in the morning he must have left pretty early.

“Not long before you woke up. You just missed him.” Mom answered before taking a bite out of her bagel.

“Well I better go wake Laura up.” I said standing.

“Let her sleep for a couple more minutes. We never get to talk.” Mom announced stopping me. I sat back down noticing that we had only made small talk with nothing more personal than when she asked if I was ok. It surprised me how much we’ve drifted apart over the years. She was my best friend when I was five. She had taken a year off that year to be with me as Laura couldn’t handle me anymore, but she has since been working pretty hard with long hours. In the state of California where everyone felt the need to be perfect kept her busy and she was becoming a household name in the plastics world.

“So work on any celebrities lately?” I asked jokingly.

“You know I can’t tell you that.” She answered smiling, “Jennifer Lopez’s lips” She continued causing me to laugh slightly.

“When will dad be back?” I asked after I stopped laughing.

“Next week sometime, but then he has to fly out to Dallas.” Mom replied frowning. “He’s becoming pretty successful now, so the next year or so we’ll not be seeing much of him.” She continued studying me.

“Oh, I understand, I was just hoping he’d be around if I made the basketball team.” I announced evenly. I was hopeful that this year would be different and that they would make time to see me play. I know that it is a slim chance, but I didn’t give them a hard time with it. They gave me a nice house and nice things to fill my room. I have a lot of things that a lot of the kids that go to my school don’t have and I knew I was lucky, but I wanted a relationship with my parents too, even though that would have to wait.

“When are tryouts dear?” Mom asked grabbing her purse and flipping through her day planner.

“I think I read that it was this Friday.” I answered watching as she jotted it down.

“Remind me to tell Laura to come get you that day. We both know how forgetful she and I are.” Mom said putting the planner back into her purse and setting it back in its place on the table.

“I’ll remind you, don’t worry.” I replied standing, “Let me go wake her up.” I said smiling evilly. I made my way up the stairs and down the hall. I grabbed the water pistol from a table that I had filled with water before coming down to talk to mom. I lightly knocked on the door, not loud enough to wake her up, but loud enough to hear if she was awake. I then carefully stepped through the door after cracking it just enough to get through. I didn’t turn on the lights before walking over to her bed.

“Wake up Laura!” I sternly said.

“Get out shit-head!” She growled lazily.

“We can do this the hard way or easy way it’s your choice.” I countered aiming the water pistol at her head.

“I can kick your ass too.” Laura said not moving or opening her eyes.

“That’s it.” I whispered and started squirting her in the face. She jumped up and quickly threw off the covers. I screeched and ran out the door and into my room locking the door behind me.

“You’re going to die you little shit!” Laura screamed, banging on my door and jiggling the handle.

“Mom he squirted me in the face! I have the right to threaten him!” I hadn’t heard my mother reprimand her, but it caused me to start laughing until I heard my door open.

“How did you..” I started before she jumped on top of me in her pajamas tickling me. “Stop… Jesus… I warned you...” I forced out through the laughter. I could have turned the tables on her if I wanted to, but she would have not stopped until she had gotten me back. It’s better to get paid back like this than wake up with one eyebrow or something.

“Ok Laura, you better start getting ready. We let you sleep in.” Mom said coming to my aid by standing at the door smiling at us.

“Ok, I’m finished with him he’s learned his lesson.” Laura said getting up straightening her pajamas before walking off proudly.

“How did she get in?” I asked aloud to myself.

“I’d say she used this.” Mom replied holding out a bent paper clip.

“The future criminal! Is nothing safe from her grasp?” I replied standing and feeling my gelled hair.

“Laura you messed up my hair!” I exclaimed groaning and started unbuttoning my shirt to take it off to go fix my hair again. I was dressed in a light blue American Eagle buttoned shirt, with a red under shirt, light faded denim and brown boots. I had won the battle with my hair this morning and it had been perfect.

“Serves you right you little shit.” Laura responded from her room.

“Laura the language!” Mom reprimanded before shaking her head and leaving my room to go get ready to leave herself.

“Fuck it.” I said aloud looking at my hair. I then brushed the gel out of it. It looked good enough like this for school. It didn’t stick up in odd places or anything I thought as I studied it. I grabbed my cell, wallet, and bag from where I left them the night before and I slipped on my necklace and walked out of my room.

“I’m going to the bus stop.” I announced at the top of my stairs.

“Bye asshole!” Laura yelled from her room.

“Laura!” Mom yelled from my parent’s master bedroom. “Have fun at school honey. I love you.” Mom continued in a calm voice.

“Love you too Mom.” I replied as I walked down the stairs and out the door. I saw the bus coming from down the street when I got out there so I didn’t take a seat on the bench. I threw my bag to the ground and watched the bus getting closer to me. As it got closer I became nervous. Knots began to form in the pit of my stomach and my heart had a few erratic beats. “Calm down Andy, it’s just a guy.” I said aloud reassuring myself. I was still freaked out that a guy that I didn’t even know that much about was always on my mind. It wasn’t like me to even think about my friends let alone someone I didn’t even consider a friend. The bus came to a screeching halt and released its’ air breaks causing the nervous feeling to come back as I grabbed my bag and got on. I took the same seat as I had the day before sighing, relieved as I noticed that it was still open.

I didn’t think I just stared out the window taking note of the places the bus stopped wanting to see what Jase’s house looked like as I hadn’t noticed where we had stopped the day before when Jase interrupted me. He didn’t get on the bus today and I started shaking I was that nervous.

“He better be at school or I won’t make it today.” I thought aloud noticing what he had done to me. “I’m such a pathetic ass.” I continued standing. Glad that the bus’s stops were loud or I’d have a few old people looking at me talking to myself. I stepped off the bus and looked at the large school that would be my domain every weekday for the next few years. It’s a building that catches your eye no matter how many times you see it. It was beautifully designed on the outside. It was a relatively new school, but they kept remodeling it to fit the booming number of kids that enrolled every year.

“Move will you?” A voice came from behind me.

“Oh, I’m sorry.” I responded stepping to one side not turning around to face the guy who had said it. I had stepped the wrong way as he hadn’t been patient enough for me to move and I bumped into him causing him to drop his stuff.

“You fucking idiot!” The guy exclaimed turning to face me.

“Come on Brad it was an accident baby just pick up your things.” A small blonde haired girl said stepping over to Brad and putting her hand on his shoulder. He shrugged it off ignoring her.

“Yeah it was an accident I didn’t mean to..” I started before I noticed his fist coming to meet my head. I tried to duck out of the way but he caught me in the jaw and I fell to the ground.

“Bradley Jameson, I am so ashamed of you!” I heard the girl yell as she bent down to look me over.

“Get up Emily and leave the little shit alone.” Brad said grabbing her shoulder.

“Just you go cool off Brad.” Emily countered.

“Fine!” Brad spat. “You better watch out kid.” Brad continued before picking up his stuff and walking off. I sat up rubbing my jaw.

“Are you alright?” Emily asked crouching down looking at me.

“Yes, you don’t have to clean up your boyfriend’s mess.” I said pushing myself to my feet grabbing my bag on the way up. It wasn’t the first time I was punched for being in someone’s way. It won’t be the last I thought.

“Well if you’re ok I’ll just go.” Emily said after she stood and looked at my face. “That’s going to be nasty in a couple of hours.” Emily continued grimacing and reaching out to touch it. I moved my face from her grasp fearing that if Brad saw it he’d have another reason to beat me down.

“I’m fine. It didn’t even hurt.” I lied; it was enough to convince her to leave my side. She glanced over her shoulder and smiled weakly.

I then heard the warning bell and I walked in the direction of the gym my first class. I didn’t know with whom I had that class with. I knew Ann was in the second gym class. She lucked out and got it at the end of the day like she had wanted. I wanted to go see the damage to my face after Emily’s facial reaction once she looked me over. It couldn’t be good I thought, but I could be late for the first high school class ever. I made a mental note to view myself in the locker room mirrors. Getting into the gym, people were off in their own little groups and I saw Mandy and Tim sitting together on the bleachers and I walked over to them.

“Hey guys, good morning!” I exclaimed sarcastically when I got up to them.

“Damn, what happened?” Mandy asked after she saw my face.

“It’s not that bad.” I explained.

“What ever dude, it’s huge!” Tim said as he poked my jaw.

“Shit dude, stop! That hurts!” I groaned grabbing his hand.

“You might want to get that looked at.” Mandy offered and then looked in the direction of a built older woman with a whistle around her neck.

“Hello ladies and gentlemen I’m Coach Smith take a seat on the first two bleachers.” Coach Smith announced. Making the people standing to come over to where we were sitting.

“Now the rules,” Coach Smith started. She held an intimidating stance two feet from us forcing you to listen to every word she said or else. “No gum, candy or any of that junk. You can’t wear anything but gym clothes which you will buy before you can participate in class. If you don’t participate you will fail. That’s it. I’ll be in my office. Don’t make me come out here or you’ll be sorry.” As she continued I noticed she looked at Mandy and Tim. I followed her gaze, I saw that Tim had his arm around Mandy and she had her hand on her leg.

“Who are you two?” Coach Smith asked, “No don’t move.” She ordered.

“Mandy Carlson.” Mandy replied carefully.

“Tim Sanders.” Tim followed.

“Well class, these two are demonstrating what I can’t stand in my class. Take a look. There will be no public displays of affection in this class. This is gym class not the mall.” Coach Smith announced causing Mandy and Tim to scoot away from one another frowning.

“I’m sorry…” Mandy started but was interrupted.

“No need Ms. Carlson.” Coach Smith stated flatly as she turned to walk across the gym and into her office.

“Bitch!” Tim bellowed causing Coach Smith to stick her head out her office door and look around.

“You better buy your gym uniforms today, because that just got you 150 push ups Mr. Sanders.” Coach Smith announced sternly before closing the door again.


“This is going to be hell.” I stated frowning. What happened to gym being easy?.


“A woman gym teacher? That is a woman right?” Mandy asked jokingly. “Here’s a mirror for you to see that bruise.” She continued handing me a small mirror from her purse.


“Fuck, it’s huge! You can see his knuckle impressions and everything!” I groaned handing the mirror back. “I should have kicked his ass after that.” I continued.


“It’s better that you didn’t if he did that to you in one punch.” Tim said amused. I wasn’t much of a fighter and he knew it. He and Evan were the rough ones. I was the pretty boy and they always remind me of that too.


The next two periods were the two I had with Ann and she begged me to go see the nurse to put ice on my bruise. I had thought about it myself but it would be embarrassing to walk around with an ice pack all day over a bruise that I got from knocking a guy’s books out of his hands. Every person that asked that wasn’t my friend I told them I fell skateboarding. I had no classes with Jase but I was hopeful that I’d see him at lunch as Ann and I walked together.


“There’s good one.” I announced heading toward a table not seeing anyone the cafeteria. We were one of the first people in the lunchroom. We were dismissed early after boring Mr. Sven grew tired of people ignoring him. “It’s near the front so we can see who comes out of the serving area.” I said taking a seat. She took a seat beside me as we looked down at our trays.


“For such a classy school their food looks disgusting.” Ann announced poking at her soupy mashed potatoes with her fork.


“Yeah.” I agreed not looking at her.


“Are you looking for that one boy? What’s his name again?” Ann asked causing me to turn to her. My expression probably gave myself away.


“Well yeah, he hadn’t found anyone from Middleton so I felt that he might want to hang out with us. I mean he seemed cool when we talked.” I answered playing it down. I didn’t want her to know that he was the only person I thought about ever since I saw him. I wasn’t gay; guys like me who could have any girl in this school just couldn’t be gay. I just was busy and picky when it came to people. No, I was picky when it came to girls.


“Oh yeah, he did seem cool I thought.” Ann offered turning to watch the people coming into the lunchroom. “Hey look, there he is.” Ann continued causing me to snap my head up from my tray.

“Where?” I asked quickly not seeing anyone.

“I was kidding.” Ann joked, “Are you sure you just want to be his friend?” Ann asked then started laughing.

“Yes, I’m sure of that Ann.” I countered shaking my head at her while trying to sound convincing.

“Oh Hey, Mandy, Tim over here!” Ann screamed out after she saw them walk out one right after the other. Hearing her, they smiled and walked over to our table sitting down, Mandy beside Ann with Tim beside her. The circular tables sat eight people uncomfortably.

“Evan was in my class so he should be in this lunch too.” Mandy announced and I scooted over a seat so that he could sit next to Ann when he finally got here. Like when we went out as a group to the theatre or the mall, I felt out of place. Evan finally appeared with Jase in tow.

“Look who I found in the restroom eating a home-cooked lunch.” Evan announced smiling as he sat down beside Ann. “It‘s probably better than the shit we’re eating today.” Evan continued.

“Sit down Jase.” Mandy ordered politely after noticing that Jase hadn’t taken a seat. “We won’t bite.” Mandy continued then smiled warmly up at him. Jase then took a seat on the other side of me.

“I missed the bus yesterday and this morning.” Jase whispered turning to me. “I had the worst day yesterday.” He continued biting into his steak sandwich. I watched as he carefully chewed his food.

“So, Jase how has your day been?” Ann asked looking over at him.

“Fine.” Jase said after swallowing.

“Let’s see your schedule, dude.” Tim ordered causing Jase to stand to take his schedule out of his pocket and laying it out in the center of the table where everyone could see it at once.

“You have gym with me, but that’s it.” Ann announced. The rest of us didn’t have any classes with him and I felt bad for him. He didn’t know anyone and in this school it would be hard making new friends. So I was going to try my best to be his friend if he’d have me as one.

“Well that sucks for you dude.” Evan stated as we watched Jase fold his schedule and return it to his pocket.

“Oh well, school isn’t supposed to be fun and shit.” Jase countered evenly after sitting back down. “What kind of shit are ya’ll supposed to be eating anyway?” Jase continued studying our trays.

“It’s surprisingly not that bad.” Tim announced taking a bite from his dinner roll demonstrating his contentment for the school lunches.

“Whatever pig, you’ll stick anything in your mouth once.” I countered shoving my tray away from me. Everyone started to laugh except me, since I didn’t get the perverted humor behind what I just said. A few minutes later the warning bell rang dismissing us from the lunchroom for our last few classes. It’s difficult to pay attention on the first full day of classes. Each teacher has the same class rules since the school demands that all teachers have them. Knowing we were already briefed on the “do’s and don’ts” of the school from our first period. Teachers in the latter part of the day shouldn’t be stupid enough to repeat information to brains that turned off after the first time they heard them. I though was distracted by the throbbing of my jaw wanting to concede to Ann’s advice to see the school nurse, but my fear of being humiliated stopped me. So after willing away the sick, evil revenge thoughts I had for Bradley Jameson, I focused on the one person I’ve been thinking about the most. It was Friday tomorrow as the new school year never starts off with a full week of school. I wondered if I could get Jase comfortable enough to come over to my house this weekend.

“What is your name Son?” Mr. Frits asked pointing his laser pointer on my chest.

“Uh, Andrew Keller.” I responded carefully.

“I asked you a question about the dress code and you weren’t paying attention.” Mr. Frits announced.

“Well I’m ready, ask again.” I stated evenly. I noticed from the corner of my eye that some of the other students in the class had fallen asleep so I wondered why he was picking on me? Didn’t he know that I at least had my eyes open and my head wasn’t resting buried in my arms?

“What is the proper dress code for girls at this school?” Mr. Frits asked crossing his arms.

“Uhh, well I uh, what ever they want to wear I guess. I mean they’re going to anyway.” I stammered after not thinking of anything I remembered the other teachers explaining. Now I understood why they repeated everything in every period so idiots like me could answer their questions.

“Nice try Mr. Keller, but you’re wrong.” Mr. Frits replied before moving on causing me to go back to my thoughts only coming out of them after hearing the last bell ring dismissing us from school. I looked over as I was leaving and saw Mr. Frits looking at me through his strong prescription glasses that made his eyes looked three times larger than they were. He was an old man that had been teaching at this school along time. He seemed so comfortable with the way he interacted with everyone in his class. He had on this ugly green sweater vest with a blue-buttoned shirt underneath that then khaki pants and loafers. The piercing stair from my short, fat gray haired, balding teacher made me grimace and I quickly turned my head away and walked out the door.

Out of the corner of my eye I saw a boy being picked on. I turned to see who it was as a wave of compassion came over me. I frowned at what I saw. Jase was backed up against the wall and two older guys were poking him in the chest while laughing at their taunts . I couldn’t make out the words, but it didn’t matter to me as I walked up to Jase and I coughed to get their attention.

“What the hell do you want kid?” One asked turning around while the other one held Jase against the wall. He was a lot taller than me and he had curly blonde hair. He didn’t exactly look like the type to pick on other people, but he was.

“I want you to stop picking on my friend.” I answered flatly.

“Well we aren’t going to so fuck off.” He replied. I didn’t wait to come up with some clever remark before I gritted my teeth and swung out with my right hand landing it square on the nose of the guy that had talked to me. Of course it just stunned him a little since nothing ever happens like it does in my mind. In my mind I saw him falling to the ground in pain and I saw the other guy run away. My impulsive act of bravado seemed to have taken the fight out of them. Jase hugged me and we walked together to the bus for the ride home. I was wrong about the outcome of my actions and I was going to regret it.

“You little shit!” The guy bellowed grabbing his nose to check for blood. “You’re going to pay for that.” He continued taking steps toward me so I took the pussy way out and I kicked him in the balls. Come on, he was two times larger than me so I had to fight dirty! Jase had gotten braver after I sent the guy to the ground clutching his balls in pain and had managed to get free of the other large guy. I could tell they weren’t freshmen so their picking on Jase was like a St. Bernard attacking kitten. I had to put a stop to it.

“Now if you bother my friend again I’ll make sure you won’t reproduce.” I valiantly announced. A considerable amount of people had seen the fight and had gathered around us as I beat on the blonde guy..

“Andrew Glen Keller what the hell are you doing?” Laura asked fighting through the crowd.

“These two were picking on Jase and I had to teach them a lesson.” I replied weakly, afraid that she’d tell Mom and I’d be in trouble or possibly grounded for a long time.

“Ben and Jared do you think you’re men for picking on a freshman?” Laura asked after noticing who they were.

“Shut up bitch.” They both said in unison.

“Are you ok Jase?” Laura asked looking him over while ignoring them calling her a bitch.

“I’m fine.” Jase responded weakly.

“Well, I’m taking you two home since you’ve missed the bus. Oh, and if I ever find out if either of you fuckers has touched my brother or any of his friends again, I’ll have your asses thrown out of school.” Laura growled before pushing her way through the crowd. Jase and I struggled to keep up with her. It had embarrassed me deeply that my older sister had come to my aid like she did. This is one of the rare times that I wished for an older brother. It’s completely different when a protective older brother comes to your rescue instead of a short blonde with a big mouth. Laura can handle herself and I guess that people gave her a lot of respect in the school since no one made a snide comment after her threat. My sister was obviously well known throughout the school.

“So are you ok?” I whispered to Jase in the back seat of my sister’s car.

“I’m fine. I just accidentally stepped on one guy’s foot and they both thought I needed to be punished for it.” Jase answered shrugging like it happened every day.

“What exactly happened to your face? I didn’t feel comfortable in asking at lunch.” Jase asked looking over at me. My sister hadn’t noticed the bruise on my face but she had heard Jase ask the question.

“You mean Jared and Ben didn’t do that to you?” Laura asked interrupting me before I could explain.

“It was just a misunderstanding. I accidentally knocked someone’s books out of his hands and he got pissed.” I answered the both of them.

“Who was he? He’ll pay for that!” Laura asked, “Jase tell me when we’re getting close to your house alright.” Laura continued.

“It was Bradley Jameson.” I answered, giving in to evil thoughts, knowing my sister would think of a way to get revenge.

“Well, he’ll be hearing from me tomorrow. I’ll straighten his punk ass out.” Laura spat.

“Jase come over to my house Saturday.” I whispered ignoring my sister’s angry banter.

“Why?” Jase asked looking out the window. “It’s the fifth house down from that bus stop on the right.” Jase announced pointing for Laura to see.

“Because I don’t want you to go without friends and I think you’re a cool guy.” I replied smiling.

“Ok.” Jase whispered as Laura came to a stop.

“You’re home sweetie.” Laura announced warmly.

“Thanks for the ride Laura.” Jase said getting out of the car and walking in the direction of the nice house five houses down from the bus stop.

Copyright © 2010 Krista; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 12
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

13 hours ago, Scary said:

Do people actually go to the restroom out of all places to eat lunch alone?!

 

You do see it happening in Teen dramas (in television and films) and such, they go to the restrooms and lock the stall doors so they're not caught eating lunch alone... instead of going to the cafeteria and sit at a table by themselves. I've not read or thought about this story for ages, so I'm guessing with this answer.. lol. I hope I don't confuse you. It is my 'first' ever writing project for fun back in high school (before we really got into grammar and writing structure) - fair warning it is a bit poorly written. :D

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..