Jump to content
    Krista
  • Author
  • 3,148 Words
  • 4,767 Views
  • 1 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Something Unexpected - 20. Chapter 20

I noticed Rob’s jeep outside before I stepped into the house. I rolled my eyes. He wasn’t supposed to be here when Mom wasn’t home. Mom had been gone for a while now and I was beginning to miss her. In a way though, it was good to not have her here. I don’t know if I could take not telling her all of this bad shit that was happening. I walked into the kitchen and heard Rob’s loud annoying voice telling some story.

“Hey Laura.” I said, and noticed Rob frown.

“Hey.” She smiled, “How was practice and school?”

“A little rough.” I answered vaguely. I didn’t want to talk about it with Rob there.

Laura turned to him, “Rob I think it’s best you leave for the night,” she announced.

“Come on, Laura, I thought we could…” He started, but then he stopped and looked at me. “Do you mind?”

I crossed my arms, “I think she asked you to leave for the night.”

“Andy just excuse us for a minute.” Laura ordered, waving me off.

“Okay.” I responded and went out to wait for her in the living room. A few minutes later Rob walked in.

“You just had to come home, you little fag.” He said to me in a low voice.

“You weren’t going to get any anyway.” I countered.

Rob turned and took a few steps toward me but he stopped when Laura entered the living room.

“Did you forget something Rob?” She asked. I was relieved. Sometimes my sister had great timing.

“No.” He answered, then walked out the front door quickly.

“You know Rob could break you in half if he wanted to.” Laura said, “So be careful not to upset him.”

“It isn’t my fault he’s retarded.” I countered lightly.

“He’s not retarded just complex.” She argued, sighing.

“Now you know how I feel every time you get on my ass about Chandler.” I taunted, and she nodded.

“So what went wrong with school or practice?” She asked curiously. She handed me a plate of food that she had been carrying when she entered the living room.

“Some football players were fuckers and got me and Mandy in trouble.” I answered, rolling my eyes. “Mandy got suspended for four days over it and I got a detention.”

“Sounds like Mandy went crazy.” Laura stated, “I’m starting to like her.”

“Yeah, she slapped one after bitching at them is what I heard.” I responded ,smiling. “She also broke up with Tim.”

“Well then good, it’ll teach Tim a lesson.” Laura said smiling back. “Is Ann still with Evan?”

“No,” I answered. “they broke up at lunch. I feel bad that I had to be the reason.”

“Yeah, but it’ll be good for them in the end.” Laura sat down and I started to eat. It looked as if she wanted to tell me something. “The next time Chandler drops you off you can invite him in. I’ll be nice.”

“Chandler didn’t drop me off.” I said before thinking about it.

“Then who did?” Laura asked curiously, but she was frowning. “Don’t get into cars with people you don’t know.”

“Calm down Laura.” I ordered, setting my empty plate aside. “Marcus from the ball team dropped me off.”

“Oh, well, he’s a nice guy.” Laura responded calmly. “But why not Chandler?”

“Chandler wasn’t there when we got off practice," I answered, "Marcus said he was grounded for skipping class.”

“Yeah I see him everywhere.” Laura rolled her eyes. “He’s a nosey fucker.”

“Laura.” I groaned, raising an eyebrow.

“Sorry. Well he is.” Laura responded then stood. “Take your dirty dishes to the dishwasher.”

“Okay.” I said. Then I was left alone. Since I hadn't attempted to do any of my homework during class time I still had some to do. An hour later I was finished with everything that was due tomorrow. I felt tired. I hadn't had any time to relax the whole day.

“Goodnight Andy.” Laura said quickly as she walked by my room towards hers’.

“Night.” I responded, loud enough for her to hear. Then I went in to shower, finally getting a chance to wash off the sweat of practice. It was late when I got to bed and I sighed loudly, feeling my body beginning to relax. I was going to be tired and sore tomorrow with nothing good to look forward to, but I fell asleep anyway.

The next morning I fumbled around and missed the bus so I had to wait while Laura to get ready so I could ride with her. Normally I would care not to be late, but today I didn’t give a shit. I was in no hurry to face Tim alone in gym. The only good thing about is the day was that the two fuckers that caused yesterday’s mess would also be gone.

“Hey you missed the bus.” Laura stated stupidly as she walked into the living room.

“Yeah.” I responded yawning.

“Well are you ready to go?” Laura asked, grabbing her purse.

“Yep.” I stood, dragging my bag behind me.

“Didn't sleep any?” Laura asked smiling.

“No.” I answered, “And you’re certainly in a good mood this morning.”

“Well today is Rob's and my two year anniversary.” Laura announced happily.

“That long already?” I asked sarcastically.

“Yes.” She answered rolling her eyes. “It means that I can keep a guy interested.”

“No it means that you’re good in the bedroom.” I countered, “Or the car, the kitchen table, or where ever else you’ve done it.”

“Well I never!” She huffed; but when I turned to look at her she was blushing.

“When we get home we are disinfecting that table.” I joked and she started laughing.

“Enough, shit-head.” Laura ordered, taking her hand off the wheel briefly to punch my arm.

“How long did Mom say she was going to be gone?” I asked.

“She’ll be back sometime next week.” Laura answered, “So we need to make the most of our freedom while we can."

“You mean you and Rob do.” I countered.

“Exactly. So don’t expect me to picking you up after your detention.” Laura shot back.

“So you’re forcing me to go home with Chandler.” I responded slyly.

There was a short pause. Then she asked, “When is detention over?”

“No, I’ll give you your free time.” I answered, “You can trust me.”

“I'd better be able to.” Laura stated sternly.

“You’re the one that can get pregnant; but you worry about my sexual activities.” I countered rolling my eyes.

“Your sexual activities better be G-rated.” Laura snapped.

“Don’t you double-standard me.” I countered, “You’ve had sex billions of times.”

“Excuse me?” Laura screeched. “I have not even.”

“Well close to it.” I joked.

“Listen here! Your sister is more of an angel than you know.” Laura huffed. “Shit-head.”

“So, are you coming to get me or should I get a different ride?” I asked getting serious now that we were at school.

“Get a different ride.” She answered, blushing.

“A billion and one it is.” I joked and she punched me again.

“You’re so lucky we’re at school where it would be an embarrassment for both of us.” She growled. Then she smiled evilly. “When you get home you better lock your door.”

“I’m not scared of you, shorty.” I countered as we walked into the front doors. Then she punched me one last time before turning and walking up the stairs. The bell was due to ring in a minute so I didn’t have time to talk myself into skipping as I entered the gym. I looked and found Tim. He looked lost standing off in a corner by himself. The gym class trio was broken up and I frowned knowing that it was all my fault.

“You didn’t call me.” Luke called out as I entered the changing room. Again he was the only other person in there and I wondered if he had waited for me.

“And you expected me to?” I asked, turning to ignore him.

“No, not really.” Luke answered, “I expected you to trash the note in front of me, but since you didn’t I thought I had a chance.”

“Oh.” I offered, speeding up.

“Yeah,” He responded, “So do you think I’m ugly or something?” The question caught me off guard. I turned to look at Luke. He wasn’t ugly at all. Dark red hair, brown eyes, and his skin was smooth.

“You’re not ugly, but we’re pretty much strangers. I just don’t have time to make new friends right now.” I answered shutting my locker.

There was a short pause. “Well, will I be seeing you at that party this weekend?” He asked.

“Probably.” I answered in a whisper.

“With Chandler?” He asked as we walked out of the locker room.

“No, he’s grounded,” I answered, shrugging, “With Marcus from the basketball team.”

“Oh, he’s a nice guy,” Luke responded, winking, “He won’t use you.”

“But I…” I started, but Luke had walked off to join his friends before Coach Smith started gym class. I looked around and sighed not having anyone to talk to. Although Marcus was also well known in the school, unlike Chandler, people seemed to like him. I was being torn in so many directions. I didn’t know if it was my immaturity or my longing for affection. I didn’t want to get involved with someone and still have feelings for other people. This was also becoming complicated. Marcus had his charming qualities and, so far, good references. Chandler had been the first person that I had let myself get close to. But then Jase was the person that understood me best and was always there. I would have been lying to myself if I had said that I didn’t have feelings for any of them or for just one of them.

Gym class was long but uneventful. I showed the class just how athletic I really was, that I wasn’t some pushover. It didn’t hurt that the activity was five on five basketball either. During the rest of the school day my stress levels stayed high. I was tired of feeling like this and I couldn’t wait for the weekend to come, but it was only Wednesday. I still had that detention to attend with Coach Smith and I needed to talk to Chandler at lunch to see if he could get around to tutoring me. before I got my ass chewed out by the principal.

For the first time this week I felt relieved when lunch started. I'd come to expect an unwelcome look from Evan and Tim when I walked over to the table beside theirs. I ignored them today and Jase was already there anyway.

“You going to make a habit of missing the bus?” Jase asked when I sat down.

“I’m sorry.” I offered. I couldn't tell if he was mad or what.

“I was joking.” Jase responded, shaking his head. “Two days in a row, though.”

I sighed and looked down at my tray, “Today I was dead. Practice, and school are getting the best of me.” There wasn’t much talking coming from the table next to ours. Mandy was the most energetic and social one of the group and her absence was definitely noticeable.

“Hey fags!” Chandler greeted us, sitting down beside me.

“Hey!” Jase greeted him back carefully.

I glanced up, “Chandler you need to start going to class.” I reprimanded him, “Now you’re grounded and can’t go to that party.”

“What party?” Jase asked before Chandler could say anything.

“The party this weekend. I was going to tell you about it today.” I answered.

“You two are not going. Not without me there.” Chandler huffed, looking at both Jase and me.

“I don't think you can tell me what to do.” Jase countered.

I looked over at Chandler, “Why not?” I asked, “I mean you’re grounded.”

“You two need my protective influence. To them you’re both fresh meat.” Chandler answered.

“Marcus is taking me.” I countered carefully. “I’m sure he wouldn’t mind taking Jase, too.”

“Marcus from the basketball team?” Jase asked curiously.

“Yeah.” I answered nodding.

“I don’t want you to be hanging around Marcus.” Chandler said. “So you can’t go.”

“I don’t really think going to this party is a good idea, either.” Jase agreed. “At least for me.”

“Come on you two.” I sighed. “I need to let loose.”

“You can let loose at my house, not at some party.” Chandler countered, growing tense.

“Yeah, I don’t think you going to a party by yourself is a good idea, either.” Jase agreed.

I had wondered if I’d ever see the day where Jase and Chandler agreed on something, but on this day I didn’t want them to. “I’m going, Chandler. Jase.” I countered. “Whether you want me to or not.”

“Damn it, Andy, Marcus just wants in your pants in order to get back at me.” Chandler snapped, frowning. “So don’t go.”

“He doesn’t want in my pants; he just wants to show me a good time.”

Chandler stood up, “Yeah! Just listen to yourself.” he snapped. Then he stormed off leaving Jase and me.

“Well, I still think you shouldn’t go.” Jase offered, frowning. “But I know I can’t stop you.”

I sighed, “Jase, I’m a careful person.” This wasn't what I needed from the two people I was closest to. I had thought the two of them would understand me better. I didn’t want to be cruising through life on autopilot. But that was going to be what happened if I didn’t get out of this stress-filled rut I was in.

“So do you like Marcus?” Jase asked catching me off guard.

“No.” I answered, but felt bad after I had. “I mean, I don’t think so.”

“So you still like Chandler then?” Jase asked carefully.

“A little.” I answered, “We kissed the other day.”

“More power to you.” Jase snapped, then stood and went to empty his tray. But he didn’t return to the table afterwards. He left the lunchroom.

“Fucking hell.” I whispered shaking my head. I didn’t understand how I kept pissing people off with my decisions. It was my damn life and I was determined to live it. So be it, if they didn’t agree with those choices. I wanted to forget about everything and that was definitely what I was going to do.

For the rest of the week I ate and walked alone. I only talked to Ann, who seemed to understand of my needs as a person. She knew that school and basketball were stressful. But she didn't really understand how being gay in high school was making my tendency to be an outcast and a loner worse. I endured detention with Coach Smith, spending most of it running laps then doing some filing for her. She was the most unorganized person I'd ever seen. She was a mess. I had Laura fill in for Chandler as a tutor since Chandler refused to return my calls when I needed him to tutor me. I would have to make it right with everyone soon, but when the night of the party rolled around I was more than ready to go.

“Where you off to?” Laura asked curiously as I emerged from my room wearing a red and navy blue polo shirt, ripped jeans with a University of Maryland ball cap on my head. I was going for the innocent jock look and I think I pulled it off.

“To hang with Marcus.” I answered feeling bad that I'd only told her half of what I was doing.

“Well be careful and don’t let him drive too fast.” Laura responded. “Don’t go to any parties though.”

“Why not?” I asked getting annoyed.

“Because you know what happened the last time.” Laura answered crossing her arms.

“Well, I think this time it’ll be better.” I countered.

“So you are going to that party.” She huffed, “Chandler told me you were.”

“You talked to Chandler?” I asked, shocked. ‘The world has gone mad.”

“No. You just need to relax before you do something stupid.” She countered walking closer to me. “I know how stressed out you are.”

“So what?” I asked, “It doesn’t mean I’m going to go wild.”

“No, it doesn’t," Laura explained, "but I know you.”

“What’s that supposed to mean?” I asked, glaring at her.

“That you make poor choices under stress.” Laura answered, glaring back at me.

“I’m still going.” I snapped. “Nothing you can say will make me stay here and not live tonight.”

“There is a difference in living and being stupid; and right now you’re stupid.” Laura snapped. “You’re going to end up hurt; and you’re too stubborn to see it.”

“Laura, I thought we had an understanding.” I countered, lowering my voice. “To let me live and for you to accept me.”

“But you’re going about it all wrong.” Laura countered walking over to pat me on the back.

I stepped back, “You’ve just fucked up too many times and, sure, you don’t want me to make the same mistakes,” I snapped, “But I don’t need to be sheltered by you of all people.”

“Yes, that’s right. I don’t want you to be hurt like I was.” Laura countered in a low careful voice. “You’ll have plenty of chances to live when you’re ready, and to go out and party; but right now, in the state you’re in, it’s not a good thing.”

“It’s not like I’m sick or suicidal; I’m just a little tense and stressed,” I countered. “I’m pretty sure I can make a good decision.”

“Well, then I’m coming with you two.” She announced, grabbing her purse.

“No, you’re not,” I countered, “You have a thing with Rob.”

“So, I’ll skip it,” She said, “He’ll understand.”

“Fuck, Laura!” I yelled, throwing my hands in the air. “Let me go; and stop protecting me!”

“Fine!” She snapped, “Go, but don’t call me when you get your ass in trouble!”

“I wasn’t planning on it.” I countered.

“No, wait. I want you to.” Laura stated calmly. “I will just be the most pissed at you if I do get a phone call.”

“Okay.” I responded, “Don’t worry about me.”

The argument was the last straw. I wanted nothing more than for Marcus to show up. I sighed with relief when Rob picked Laura up and left me alone in the house. It was the first time I had been able to sit down without someone arguing with me. Marcus would never stop me from being myself. He was the breath of fresh air I needed and when he showed up at my house I stopped thinking about what other people might say. I was going to start living and that was that.

Copyright © 2010 Krista; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 6
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Ok, Andy saying “He doesn’t want in my pants he just wants show me a good find.” is a bit funny as um those aren’t mutually exclusive plus as readers we are privy to the conversation between Chandler & Marcus that indicated Marcus would like to get in his pants. Your sister is correct and you’re going to probably land yourself in some drama if you’re not careful.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..