Jump to content
    Krista
  • Author
  • 3,909 Words
  • 3,569 Views
  • 1 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Something Unexpected - 6. Chapter 6

I woke up well into the afternoon to the sound of Laura urging me to get up. She had given me a lot of time alone and I knew I was going to have to face her before long. She isn’t like me, I let people talk when they’re ready, but she pushes you until you spill your heart.

“I’ve let you sleep long enough Andrew.” Laura announced from my doorway again when I grumbled and turned away. I didn’t want to get out of bed, not today.

“Leave me alone.” I whispered burying my head under my pillows flipping her off with my free hand.

“That’s it!” Laura growled, I heard her stepping towards the bed then I felt the covers being ripped from my body. I had neglected to remove any of my clothes from the night before.

“No need to just lay around depressed now get your ass up take a shower, and then prepare to talk to me about what happened last night.” Laura ordered smacking me on the ass making me jump.

“Damn it Laura fuck off!” I yelled turning and sitting up on the bed glaring at her.

“No.” Laura stated evenly then pointed to the bathroom. “What do you want for lunch since you slept through breakfast?” Laura asked still pointing to the bathroom.

“I don’t want anything.” I countered weakly.

“Pizza it is then.” Laura announced leaving me to myself. I thought about grabbing my covers and lying back down, but Laura would only be back to check on me once the pizza is delivered. I wasn’t hungry if anything I could puke. My head was throbbing and my eyes were irritated to where it hurt to blink. I looked over at my door still thinking about what I should do. I then turned to look at myself in the mirror and I didn’t like what I saw. My clothes were wrinkled from sleeping in them. My eyes were puffy and bloodshot. There were dark circles under my eyes and the site of what I had reduced to made me frown. I knew though that Jase looked a million times worse than I did at this moment.

“You’re still not in that damned shower.” Laura said exasperated. “I’m not going to just sit around here and have you looking and feeling like shit. What happened to Jase wasn’t anything you could have prevented. Now get your ass in that shower and I don’t want to have to repeat myself again.” Laura continued in a stern tone that I had never heard her use with me.
“Fine.” I whispered walking across the floor entering the bathroom. I looked over my shoulder at Laura and the anger look she had when she ordered me a second ago had left her. She looked worried and confused. She hadn’t been filled in on what happened. Not the whole story and its going to stay that way as far as I was concerned.

“The pizza will be here in about forty-five minutes take all the time you need.” Laura announced leaving me alone again. I then closed the door stripped down and got in the shower. I leaned against the marble wall letting the warm water hit my body for what seemed like forever to me before I started washing. I then got out brushed my teeth slipped on boxer briefs and my University of Maryland pajama bottoms on before walking down into the dining room hearing Laura preparing the table.

“How are you?” Laura asked carefully. I didn’t have time to answer before the doorbell rang and she left me to go get the pizza. When she got back she sat the box down and then the smaller box that had the cinnamon sticks that I always wanted when we ordered pizza. The gesture made me smile briefly smelling the sweet smell knowing that my sister did that for me.

“So, are you going to talk or am I going to eat all those cinnamon sticks by myself?” Laura asked grabbing the box and sliding it away from me.

“Come on Laura I don’t want to..” I started weakly.

“Andrew come on you’ll feel better once you get it all out.” Laura interrupted softly.

“There isn’t anything else to say.” I lied there were a thousand things I could say about Jase and what happened last night. It was a weak lie and I knew it wouldn’t convince Laura at all, but I still made the attempt.

“We’re not leaving this table until we talk we can make it hard or we can make it a little easier. I’m here to help you feel better, if it doesn’t work it doesn’t work, but don’t you dare shut me out.” Laura countered emotionally. I could see how uncomfortable I was making her and it made me feel like shit.

“Fine.” I whispered, “I’ll start from the beginning and no interruptions until I’m through.” I continued. Laura nodded smiling slightly and slid the cinnamon stick box over to me. “Before we even left for the party I promised Jase that I wouldn’t let anything happen to him. He wasn’t too hot on going to the party and I could tell he was nervous when we got there. Evan and Tim pissed off Mandy and Ann when they wanted them to drink and they wouldn’t. So later on Jase announced that he was going to the bathroom. Before that though Chandler Morrison sat down at our table and started up a conversation with us. Then he left a little while after that, but Jase hadn’t returned. I gave him a few more minutes thinking there was a line or something, but when I found him he was in a back bedroom getting his ass kicked.” After I finished Laura waited for a little while before she frowned.

“He was just upset at the circumstances, he has to know you would have protected him if you had known.” Laura offered opening the neglected pizza box grabbing a slice and putting it on her tray.

“I wish it was me then he’d not hate me.” I whispered watching my sister eat.

“Of course you do that’s a common thing to think when something like this happened, but it didn’t happen like that. There isn’t any reason for you to beat yourself up about this. You’re just going to have to give him time and when he’s ready to think about it really he’ll see that it was out of your hands. He’s a smart enough boy for that I think.” Laura countered; she really did know how to make me feel better.

“Thank you for doing all this for your shit-head little brother.” I thanked jokingly.

“Oh you owe me, but I haven’t thought about what you’re going to do for me yet.” Laura countered getting up. “Now I can go out with Rob without feeling sorry that I left you.” Laura continued checking herself in her portable mirror then leaving me alone. I rolled my eyes. I knew she cared, but she just didn’t want to admit that to me openly. “Oh wait Ann called earlier I told her that you’d call her back.” Laura announced walking back through the dining room doors.

“Ok, thanks.” I replied grabbing my cinnamon sticks and walked up to my room waving bye to her as we passed in the hallway. I then grabbed the cordless phone in my room and had to think about the number for a second. Then I dialed and after two rings Ann’s father answered the phone.

“Hello.” I stated evenly after hearing the phone being answered.

“Who is this?” Ann’s father asked sternly.

“Andrew Keller, I was wondering if Ann was home.” I answered carefully.

“Oh she said that you’d call. She’s around let me go get her.” Ann’s father countered with a more friendly tone. “Ann phone its Andrew.” Ann’s father bellowed then I heard a beep and then another.

“Hey Andy.” Ann greeted carefully.

“Hi.” I replied staring down at my cinnamon sticks my hunger becoming stronger.

“How are you?” Ann asked in a hushed voice.

“Me and my sister talked and I’m ok I guess.” I answered as honest as I could.

“Jase will come around, I called his house and his mother wouldn’t let me talk to him.” Ann offered slightly annoyed.

“Oh. It’s nice that you care so much, he’ll see that too.” I answered, “But I’m going to go eat something I haven’t been awake long.” I continued I wanted to not talk about Jase anymore for the rest of the day.

“Ok well um take care of yourself and I’ll see you at school tomorrow.” Ann stated then hanging up the phone. I then frowned and walked over to my desk where I worked on my homework. It wasn’t a lot being the first week of school. It did help me to focus on things other than Jase.

I made myself busy through out the day playing games or practicing basketball. It did help forget about Jase until I was too exhausted physically to focus on what I was doing. That’s when the thoughts of Jase started to plague me again. Remembering the way he sounded let down and hurt that I had broken my promise to protect him. The way he jerked his arm out of my grasp or stopped me when I went to touch him. It all made the feeling of regret and disappointment wash over me again. When my mom got home she looked in on me in my room before I headed off to take a shower. I gave her a weak smile, but she was tired and she didn’t push me to talk to her. She hadn’t known that we went to a party and I doubt unless Laura told her she’d know about Jase and what happened to him. Sleep did come easily that night. I had exhausted myself enough to keep me from tossing and turning.

Jase wasn’t on the bus that morning; he wasn’t at lunch at school or on the bus on the ride home. I had picked up his assignments throughout the day and I made Laura drive them to him after she got home from hanging out with her friends after school. Tuesday I almost got cut from the basketball team, but I wouldn’t have cared too much about it. I was too distracted to care about anything other than Jase and his feelings and how to make it right. Evan had asked about him Wednesday, Ann hadn’t spoken to him since the party she was still pissed that he had pressured her and then got drunk. Mandy had forgiven Tim and they were touching and holding hands again. Jase didn’t come to school any that week and I was beginning to worry if he’d ever come back.

“Hey, I’m having a little get together this weekend. No beer and no one is invited out side of our lunch table.” Ann announced grabbing my arm when I bolted out of my last class.

“I’m not going to be able to make it..” I started but she shook her head and sighed heavily.

“You can make it, what else will you be doing?” Ann asked getting annoyed. “Stop beating yourself up over what happened it’s been a week and he’s getting better he’ll probably be in school and back to his old self Monday, but you have to forgive yourself and have fun.” Ann continued after I started staring down at the floor.

“Fine when do I need to be at your house?” I asked as I watched people dodge us in the hallway.

“Tonight around eight.” Ann replied letting go of my hand. “I’ll call you if anything changes our plans.” Ann continued then kissed me on the cheek before walking past me and out the door. I quickened my pace when I heard the bus give the two-minute warning honk out by the bus stop. I barely made it. The kiss on the cheek shocked me. Ann had never been so affectionate with me. I had never been to Ann’s house before and it was a little upsetting that I had known her for almost three years and not be able to call her my best friend. Tim and Evan had been to my house at least, but I had never been to either of theirs. I never talked to Mandy out side of school until that party. I found myself curious about their lives now. Jase had changed that about me. He was the first person I wanted to know everything about. Now I wanted to know everything about everyone just in case I messed up our friendships. I would have gotten to know them and I could look back and call them meaningful friends instead of classmates that I shared a lunch table with.

“Hey Andy right, from the party last week?” A guy’s voice interrupted my thoughts on the bus ride.

“Yeah, Chandler Morrison right?” I replied after looking up and seeing him standing on the bus. It was the first time I saw him riding the bus I would haven noticed if he had rode more than this.

“Yeah.” Chandler answered sitting down beside me after I grabbed my bad and let him. “How’s your little friend?” Chandler asked and I wondered how he knew about Jase.

“Do you mean Jase the one that got beat up at your party?” I asked a little annoyed.

“Yeah, him.” Chandler answered.

“I don’t know he’s pissed and won’t talk to me.” I stated after a short pause.

“You’re on the basketball team right?” Chandler asked me and I studied him.

“Yes.” I answered, “How do you know so much about everything?” I asked and then Chandler gave me a look that told me that I had asked a dumb question.

“I’m supposed to know, but that’s not what I came to talk to you about. I’m having a party this weekend. It’s a small party with some people and I was wondering if you’d want to come. Forget about Jase hating you and you can celebrate making the team and stuff.” Chandler stated then stared at me waiting for a reply.

“I don’t think so.” I offered turning to look out my window.

“Come on kid you’ll have a blast.” Chandler countered putting his arm around me. I shrugged it off and looked over at him.

“I’m done with parties like that I don’t want to end up like Jase.” I spat annoyed.

“I’ll protect you. No one will mess with you if you come with me. I promise you’ll be fine.” Chandler interjected carefully.

“I don’t even know you and why would you invite someone to a party that you didn’t know?” I asked curiously.

“I’m just trying to get to know you. You can invite your friends with you if you’re scared. It’s nothing I just wanted you to experience a good party. These are supposed to be your last free years don’t waste them because you’re scared shitless of what may happen.” Chandler answered rolling his eyes. The bus then stopped at my stop and I stood and Chandler stood letting me out. “Now are you coming or not, because I’ll swing by and pick you up if you are?” Chandler asked sitting down in the seat.

“Sure pick me up and I’ll go, with out my friends.” I answered and then I walked out of the bus. I then entered the house to find Laura home already she had cooked a small dinner just for us two.

“Hey shit-head.” Laura greeted as I sat down at the dining room table.

“Hey.” I answered watching her eat.

“Aren’t you going to eat?” Laura asked after I paid no attention to the plate of food in front of me.

“Who is Chandler Morrison?” I asked ignoring her question.

“The guy who threw the party you went to last week he’s a sophomore his older brothers threw parties every year now he does too.” Laura answered taking another bite. I wanted to tell her that he had invited me to another party, but I decided against it. She may not let me go if she knew about it. She had made it clear that she didn’t like the guy and I had made a promise to myself to know the guy so I thought this was a perfect opportunity.

“Ann invited me over to her house for a little get together at 8.” I announced as I started eating.

“So I guess you’ll be needing a ride.” Laura countered smiling at me.

“Yeah.” I stated smiling back at her.

“Oh, Jase’s mom called thanking you for getting all Jase’s assignments for him.” Laura announced evenly. She smiled when my attention turned from my plate of food to her.

“Did she say how he was?” I asked quickly.

“She said he’d be in school by Tuesday for sure.” Laura answered, “She also told me to tell you to call and surprise him that he’s been bummed out about it all.” Laura continued and I frowned.

“I doubt he’d want me to call him.” I countered weakly.

“So do it anyway you’ve given him all the time he needs.” Laura countered handing me the phone.

“I don’t think I’ll be needing this.” I stated as I slid the phone back across the table annoyed.

“I think you do before I shove it up your ass.” Laura teased sliding it back over the table.

“He hates me Laura.” I whispered stopping the phone before it slid off the table.

“No one can hate you.” Laura countered reaching across the table and rubbing my arm. “Now dial the number before I kick your ass.” Laura growled crossing her arms and glaring at me.

“Fuck, everyone seems to be pressuring me today.” I spat dialing Jase’s number. After it rang once I wanted to hang up and made the motion that I was, but Laura grunted and shook her head causing me to put the phone back up to my ear.

“Hello?” A woman’s voice answered the phone politely.

“Hello Mrs. Singer its Andy.” I greeted politely then sticking my tongue out at Laura.

“Oh, thank you for calling let me go give the phone to Jase.” Mrs. Singer replied and I waited.

“Hello?” Jase’s voice asked through the phone. His voice caused me to suck in my breath.

“Talk to him!” Laura hissed quickly.

“Um, hey Jase.” I stammered carefully.

“Why did you call me?” Jase growled, but I heard his mother reprimand him and he started to object, but she stopped him.

“Hello, Andy.” Jase weakly greeted and I frowned.

“How are you?” I asked in a low voice.

“As good as it gets I guess.” Jase answered sounding even more annoyed than before.

“Well that’s good I guess.” I responded trying to sound cheerful.

“I told you to stay away from me. Don’t call me again.” Jase quickly spat then slammed the phone down ending the conversation.

“Are you happy Laura?” I asked frowning.

“Yes I am happy that you made an effort.” Laura countered rolling her eyes. “At least you can say you tried to be his friend instead of being defeated and walking around this house feeling like shit. Yes I am happy now go get ready so I can take you to Ann’s.” Laura continued the anger building in her voice.

“Ok.” I replied sarcastically and left to go change into more comfortable clothes. Laura and I didn’t speak on the way to Ann’s house. She told me she loved me when I stepped out and I waved goodbye to her as she turned to head back to the house. Everyone was already there when I got there.

“Hey, Andy.” Ann greeted when I entered the basement. They were all preparing to watch a movie when I sat down in between the couples.

“So Evan, finally kiss Ann’s ass enough to get back on her good side?” I asked earning a playful slap from Ann.

“Yes he has.” Tim answered for Evan causing Evan to blush.

“Quiet guys the movie.” Mandy interrupted causing us to be quiet and turn to the television. Not twenty minutes into the move they lost interest and started making out with one another. This wasn’t my definition of fun, but I tried to drown out the noise they were making and watch a movie that I had saw a few times before. It was a chick flick. The girls had obviously planned the get together. If I ever planned something like this we wouldn’t be watching, “Thirteen going on 30.” I didn’t tell them that I was going to Chandler’s party this weekend. I didn’t tell them that I talked to Jase either; I didn’t really have time to say much to them. I felt like I shouldn’t be there at all and it annoyed me. So I got up and called Laura and left to go wait outside until she got there to pick me up.

“That was a short little party.” Laura announced as I stepped into the car.

“Well all they did was make out and it annoyed me.” I answered shrugging as we drove back home.

“We need to find you a woman so you won’t be so left out.” Laura announced and in the dark car I doubt she saw the disgusted look on my face. The very thought of doing that with a girl did nothing for me and that left me with more things to think about. I now think I’m gay, but I wasn’t about to tell anyone. I could change myself maybe a girlfriend was just what I needed.

“Yeah I do.” I found myself answering Laura causing her to laugh at me.

“Little brother is horny.” Laura quipped amused.

“You’re nasty.” I countered shaking my head. When we got home we went our separate ways into our rooms. Mom was home and asleep already she worked so hard and dad worked all the time. Jase was shutting me out after I made an effort to get to know him. It was his decision and if that is what he needed to be happy I would give that to him. I don’t want to become part of a problem for anyone. Talking to Jase did make me want to go to that party and forget about it. Ann’s little get together made me wonder if they only invited me because they felt sorry for me. I got angry suddenly and I was looking forward to getting to know the guy that my sister refuses to talk about. My enthusiasm about getting to know my friends better had left me and the only person I wanted to get close to was Chandler who seemed to be the only one who didn’t feel sorry for me, shut me out, or make me feel uncomfortable. The whole revelation was enough for me to not be bothered with all that’s on my mind and I found myself falling asleep staring blankly at my television. I then shut it off and turned my lamp off, slid out of my clothes and fell asleep hoping to have fun tomorrow night.

Copyright © 2010 Krista; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 10
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Chandler’s interest in Andy is kinda odd and possibly creepy considering it’s out of the blue. If we knew more about why his sister doesn’t like him then we’d have a better picture of what might be going on as it could be linked to her in some way. I’m wondering if he’s gay and that’s why he’s interested in Andy though I wish Andy would be bit more cautious as the fact his sister thinks he’s a bad person is a warning sign to watch out for danger. I’m assuming Jase will get over his anger but apparently a good bit of time has passed and he doesn’t seem any less hostile towards Andy which is sad because I’m fairly certain there was mutual attraction which may amplify Jase’s feeling of betrayal.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..