Jump to content
    Krista
  • Author
  • 4,624 Words
  • 3,529 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Something Unexpected - 10. Chapter 10

I groaned hearing my sister bellow. I knew I had to be late if she was waking me up, but that didn’t make me move any faster. I then dragged myself into the bathroom to take a shower and then when I got out I looked at the clock on my nightstand table and my mouth flew open. It was five minutes until first period started and my sister and me were going to be almost unbearably late for school. I felt instantly bad for not rushing, but she had left me alone. I then threw a pair of jeans and a plain blue t-shirt on that I’d normally wear as an undershirt and ran out the door to see a very impatient Laura fuming at the door.

“About time you wake your ugly ass up. Thanks to you I’ll have detention after school seeing that I have been late to my first period more than two times!” Laura growled as she threw open the door and motioned for me to go through it.

“How were you late the other two times?” I asked curiously. I wanted to know what she could have been doing. I was also pissed that she was blaming this one time when she had been late two other times before.

“That’s not the point now is it?” Laura asked ignoring my question.

“Well Laura you were late by yourself two other times so shut it.” I countered unwisely. I heard her gasp from behind me and then I felt her anger across the back of my head. I was seeing stars.

“Don’t tell me what to do you little shit.” Laura huffed then walked passed me to get into the car. I then got into the passenger seat pissed and not turning to look at her. It wasn’t my fault entirely that she was getting detention.

“I was about to just leave your ass here.” Laura announced sounding a little less pissed than before.

“You should have since it’s my fault you’re going to get in trouble.” I spat crossing my arms. “Even though the two times before wasn’t my fault. So I’m sorry I get to be bitched at for the one time I fuck up your day.” I continued my bravery coming back now that she had to pay attention to the road. This was going to be a long and trying day and I knew it. Laura hadn’t said anything for the rest of the ride to school and I didn’t remind her that I had basketball practice after school. I was still too pissed to talk to her and she was too pissed to really listen if I had tried. One thing my sister is good at being is stubborn.

When I entered the gym the teacher had them all doing their morning stretching and warming up. She wasn’t paying attention to me and I was thankful when I was able to sneak into the locker room without hearing a loud shrieking whistle and then her making me her latest target for criticism and embarrassment. When I opened my locker a note was in there. I looked around and opened it hoping it wasn’t a detention referral from the teacher after all. Then I begin to read it.

Andy,

I missed you this morning as you’re probably running late. Well thanks to you my day is officially going to suck. I didn’t get my good morning boost and you’re to blame for that.

See you at lunch,

Chandler

I thought for a second. I knew he was probably joking, but the morning I had with my sister I felt that everyone was blaming me for their bad days. It pissed me off and it made me think that they didn’t care that they were making me have just as bad of a day that they were. Their lack of consideration hurt. I then changed quickly then put my stuff into the locker and slammed it shut forcefully. I then ripped up the letter and tossed it into the trash on my way out. I found the gym teacher in my face as I entered the gym.

“Mr. Keller I do think you’re late.” Coach Smith stated standing only inches from me.

“I’m sorry I over slept..” I started, but was interrupted.

“I don’t care Mr. Keller don’t let it happen again. You owe me warm-ups while the rest of the class starts today’s activity. She stated as she turned blew her whistle stopping warm-ups. I then walked over to a corner of the gym and started warming up cussing everyone under my breath. I was watching as they played dodge ball. To me that game looked elementary, but everyone seemed to be into it. I then watched Mandy try and weakly throw a ball, but the person who she tried to hit caught it and I saw Mandy stomp one of her feet and walk off to the sideline in a huff. It caused me to smile and then she saw me looking at her and she waved smiling. So I gave her a weak nod and then started the required amount of push-ups. By the time I was finished with warm-ups and was preparing to jump into the game Coach Smith blew her whistle telling everyone to go sit down. I then looked at my watch and groaned. Gym was wasted it was the only class that I didn’t almost fall asleep in. Even though Coach Smith was strict and bitchy she still let us loose and have fun. When she dismissed us to go back to the locker rooms I was the first one in there as everyone else had stopped to get a drink at the fountains. I was in the middle of changing when Tim walked in and instead of going to his locker and start changing he walked up to me.

“I saw that guy that was in here the other day talking to you again. He didn’t want a notebook back either.” Tim announced curiously. His left eyebrow was slightly raised and his arms were crossed expectantly.

“Oh, well maybe he had something to ask me.” I offered not having anything to say that would explain it better.

“He had something to ask me too.” Tim countered and I had to lean against my locker to keep myself steady.

“What did he want?” I asked forcing the shaking in my voice to stop.

“Where you will be after school today.” Tim answered casually.

“Did you tell him basketball practice?” I asked still trying to read Tim’s expression.

“Yes.” Tim answered and then he took off his shirt flopping it over his shoulder. “That guy looks familiar, was he the guy that talked to us at the party?” Tim continued after a short pause.

“Yes it was.” I answered him immediately.

“Oh, so is he still trying to get with Ann and Mandy?” Tim asked his voice lowering.

“No he was never trying to get with them.” I answered then glanced at my watch. If we didn’t end this conversation quick I was going to be late for second period.

“Oh, ok so how long have you known him?” Tim asked and I turned to finish getting dressed.

“We’ve been talking since the party, but if you don’t want to be late you better go get changed.” I answered and he left my side. I glanced over at him before I left and he was still eyeing me thoughtfully. I wondered if Tim and Chandler had discussed Chandler and me and then Tim was playing it off trying to get answers from me. I wanted to find Chandler, but being late two periods in a row looks terrible on coaching reports so I hurried to my second period class. I barely listened in my second period class and I was starting to wonder if I was cut out for this class. The parts I did listen to were way over my head. Of course they might have made sense if I wasn’t distracted with Tim’s conversation about Chandler.

“Andy are you ok?” Ann asked half way through third period.

“Uh, yeah why?” I asked turning to her.

“Well the teacher is going over tomorrow’s test and you haven’t wrote any of the notes down.” Ann whispered then pointed to my clean notebook paper.

“Oh, well I’m tired.” I lied looking down at my notebook.

“Well I’ll make copies for you before practice today, but don’t get into a habit of using me to get your notes.” Ann announced and I sighed.

“I’m going to flunk out of every damned class.” I announced a little louder than I should have.

“Mr. Keller do we need to discuss appropriate classroom language?” Mr. Sadler asked it caused half the class to start giggling and the other half to wake up.

“I guess not.” I answered turning back to Ann hoping he’d leave it at that.

“Get out of my class.” Mr. Sadler demanded abruptly.

“Why?” I asked my gaze snapping up to him.

“You weren’t paying any attention and then you decided to disrupt my class.” Mr. Sadler replied still pointing to the door.

“This is just shit. I’m not disrupting class you stopped teaching.” I growled. I knew it was inappropriate to talk back to a teacher, but I had been pushed all day.

“Andy don’t.” Ann whispered weakly urging me to stop.

“Well son, that just got you after school detention.” Mr. Sadler huffed then turned back to the board.

“But I can’t I have practice.” I stated standing. Mr. Sadler casually turned around and I instantly wanted to slap the smirk he had on his face when he did.

“Well that’ll teach you to disrupt my class now won’t it?” Mr. Sadler asked the smirk growing wider.

“I wasn’t disrupting your class. I said one thing and you corrected me. You didn’t like the answer I gave you so then you caused the disruption. That’s fine though I didn’t want to go to basketball practice today anyway.” I countered gathering up my books and shoving them into my bag. “Have a nice day you’re lecture was riveting.” I continued sarcastically before slamming the door behind me. I heard the class erupt into laughter and Mr. Sadler threatening to send them all to after school detention.

I then walked to my locker and opened it shoving my books into it then slamming the locker shut. I then walked down the hall to my next class preparing to sit and wait for the period to end. Today was hell and it’s only going to get worse. Now I was going to have to go to detention with my sister. When mom gets back we’ll both be grounded and then when I get my dreaded report card in a couple of weeks I’ll be killed. I didn’t care at the moment though. Teachers were being unfair, my sister was being a bitch, Tim knows something, and Chandler wrote me a stupid note. I wanted to just walk out the front doors and catch a bus home.

“Andrew Keller, please report to the principals office immediately.” Came an announcement from the intercom system.

“Fuck!” I exclaimed not caring if anyone heard me as I walked to the office. Thinking that Mr. Sadler was such an ass. When I arrived I saw Chandler and he smiled at me and I ignored him as a secretary ushered me into the door where the principal stayed. I hadn’t met her. I hadn’t even been to this part of the school. Now I was here to be bitched at for my bad behavior.

“Hello Mr. Keller have a seat please.” The principal greeted then motioned for me to sit. She was smiling, but I could tell it was forced. My mother gave me those looks before she started yelling and I knew what was coming.

“Look Ms.. Uh..” I started but trailed off not knowing her name.

“Robert, Mrs. Roberts.” She answered then paused to let me finish.

“I’m sorry about what happened in Mr. Sadler’s class. It’s not like me to do that it’s just I’ve had a bad day and I thought he was being unfair and stuff.” I offered looking down at my hands.

“You were also late for first period.” Mrs. Roberts added and I glanced up at her.

“That was just my first tardy.” I countered carefully.

“I was just reminding you. You’re allowed three a class.” Mrs. Roberts stated calmly.

“What we don’t tolerate is your little disruption in Mr. Sadler’s class, but I have been informed that you have basketball practice after school.” Mrs. Roberts started and I nodded.

“I’ll be kicked off the team if I miss this practice.” I stated evenly, “But I can always play next year if you have to give me after school detention.” I continued looking up after I finished.

“That’s not all of it Andrew. I looked at your grades in Middle School and then I looked at your referrals from teachers and right now I have been getting reports on how you’re slacking off in class. You need to start applying yourself to your ability. You can be left behind pretty easily in the advanced classes we placed you in.” Mrs. Roberts stated and I wanted to roll my eyes. The nerve of her it wasn’t even midterms yet and she was talking to me about slacking off. The teachers have been telling her shit about me and I didn’t like it at all.

“Sorry I guess.” I lied, I wasn’t sorry I wanted to leave and let her talk to someone who actually cared.

“We’re giving you a tutor. It’s the only way you’re going to get out of detention for the week for your little outburst. You’re free to go to practice if you agree to meet the tutor three days a week.” Mrs. Roberts announced and I looked at her stupidly.

“A tutor?” I asked astonished.

“Yes, if you want to stay on the team then you better agree.” Mrs. Roberts answered and I felt blackmailed. I didn’t need a tutor.

“Alright.” I stated thinking that now I’ll have to take orders from some know it all nerd that will be tagging along with me everywhere I went. Then Mrs. Roberts pressed a few buttons on the phone and picked up the receiver.

“Send in the tutor for Andrew Keller, please.” She ordered and then I waited patiently for the door to open ready to hate whoever was walking through the door. My jaw dropped as I looked as Chandler stepped through the door smiling at me.

“Chandler? You’re going to be my tutor?” I asked trying not to sound as thrilled as I was.

“Yes he is Mr. Keller. For the semester anyway and he’ll be sure to tell me if you skip a meeting.” Mrs. Roberts answered for Chandler and I turned to look at her.

“So are we through with the meeting?” I asked politely.

“Yes.” Mrs. Roberts answered and I stood and walked out the door with Chandler following me. He followed me out of the office and into the hallway.

“I was preparing for some know it all nerd bossing me around in a nasal voice.” I whispered causing Chandler to start laughing.

“Well did I disappoint you, because I could go back in there and tell her that you want someone less hot?” Chandler asked smirking.

“I like the arrangement a lot.” I answered beaming.

“So what did you do exactly to draw so much attention to yourself?” Chandler asked leaning against the wall.

“I smarted off in Mr. Sadler’s class.” I answered and he looked at me weirdly.

“Well he’s a known asshole.” Chandler offered making me feel better. “When the call came in about you disrupting class I was in the office and I heard them talking before they called you. They were going to give you a weeks detention no matter what you said.” Chandler continued and I frowned.

“So how did the thought of a tutor come into play?” I asked curiously.

“Let’s just say you owe me your afternoons now. When I could be out living I have to go to your house to keep you from flunking out of school and becoming a menace to society.” Chandler answered smiling evilly.

“You sly bastard.” I playfully spat then the bell rang causing me to jump. “Well I have to go to class so that they won’t take back their agreement.” I announced rolling my eyes.

“See you at lunch babe.” Chandler announced causing me to shake my head and look around.

“Shut up.” I warned blushing then walked into the last class before lunch. I had to re-tell my story to Ann and she was thrilled that I got to go to practice after school so that I wouldn’t be cut from the team. She had made copies of the notes already seeing that Mr. Sadler stopped teaching after I left. I wondered briefly if she was still angry about my fight with her the other day, but she hadn’t brought it up. She did admonish me about my classes and how I haven’t been applying myself. I wished people would mind their own business I always found ways to make great grades before and high school wasn’t going to be any different. I did pay attention and took notes and the class lagged by, but I sighed heavily when the bell rang and we could go to lunch.

“So um, are you going to sit with that guy at his table again today?” Ann asked as we walked through the cafeteria doors.

“Probably, his name is Chandler.” I answered looking at her reaction.

“He was that guy from the party. Tim said that he saw you with him in the locker rooms yesterday and today he saw Chandler with out you. So when have you two become so close?” Ann asked sitting down.

“When Jase was hurt and wouldn’t talk to me.” I answered honestly. It was an innocent enough question. I could tell she was wanting to press the subject more, but I saw Chandler motion for me to join them at their table. “Well I’ll see you at the gym I guess.” I continued leaving her. She glanced back at me when I sat down beside Chandler. I knew it looked strange me sitting over here. A table full of sophomores me being the only freshman, I would turn to look at them and find their eyes on me. They were talking about stuff and I wanted to be part of that.

“What’s wrong?” Chandler asked after following my eyes.

“Nothing.” I sighed weakly lying.

“Then why do you keep looking back at them?” Chandler asked a little annoyed.

“Because they keep asking me questions about you and I think they may be a little jealous or they think something is going on. I mean it does look strange me ditching my friends to sit with you.” I answered finally.

“Then go sit with them.” Chandler countered looking me over.

“You’re not ok with that though.” I argued weakly.

“It’s your reputation not mine.” Chandler spat looking back at them.

“Everything is so confusing now.” I whispered then a coughing noise from our table caused both Chandler and me to turn and look. Everyone was watching us and they looked amused.

“So, how long have you two been fucking around?” Kurt asked boldly.

“Fuck you Kurt we’re just friends.” Chandler quipped looking at me. It was like he was pissed at me and not Kurt. Everything was getting complicated and they all wanted to know what Chandler and me were. I was pissed that Kurt had been so forward and I was confused at what to do right now so I just turned to look at my tray of food. The table went silent after that and I was thrilled when the bell rang dismissing us from lunch. I almost bolted from the cafeteria and into my class. I took notes and some people from Mr. Sadler’s class asked me how much trouble I got into and they were shocked to find out that all I got out of all that was a tutor. At the time I learned about Chandler helping me out for the semester I was thrilled, but now I didn’t know if that was a good idea. Chandler acted pissed when I felt confused and paranoid about the way my friends looked at me. He didn’t understand when I told him what was on my mind and he acted hurt and pissed about it even. I was actually looking forward to basketball practice when the day was finally winding down. So many people made my day suck and I made a lot of other people’s day suck too. I felt tired and annoyed I just wanted time to think and be alone. I also needed a good nights rest. That though had to wait until after practice.

When I got to the gym and changed I started stretching trying to mind my own business until Coach Anderson started practice. I knew better though as Ann entered the gym from the Girl’s locker room. I frowned and acted like I hadn’t seen her, but a few seconds later she was stretching right beside me.

“So how was the rest of your day?” Ann asked and I stood to stretch out my arms.

“Less stressful than before lunch.” I answered causing her to smile.

“You have everyone freaked out by not sitting with us.” Ann stated and I frowned.

“I know it probably looks weird, but Chandler and I are friends.” I countered looking over at her judging any reaction she may have.

“Well why don’t you just invite him to our table?” Ann asked as she bent to touch her toes.

“He has his own friends to sit with, but he told me to just start sitting over with you guys again since you all can’t seem to stop looking over at me.” I stated slightly annoyed.

“Oh, well I tried to tell them not to, but you not sitting with us is still strange to them.” Ann countered, but then the coaches interrupted us as they entered the gym. Practice was long, but nothing I couldn’t handle if I had a stress free day. I did end up with having to run a few laps, as Coach Anderson got annoyed with me not being able to do a play. After practice he did call me aside before I left to go change to tell me that I needed to get my head into practice or I wouldn’t be getting any playing time once the season started and I nodded. When I exited the gym Laura wasn’t waiting for me and I groaned as I took out my cell to call my home. I didn’t get an answer there and then I dialed her cell not getting an answer again.

“Fucking hell can this day get any worse?” I shrieked dropping my bag and sitting down on a bench rubbing my temples my head suddenly hurting. I started dialing Laura’s cell number again but a door closing behind me caused me to jump and look up. I was expecting to see one of the coaches standing there looking at me, but I was a bit surprised to see Chandler looking down smiling.

“How many times am I going to come make your day a hell of a lot better?” Chandler asked and I stood smiling.

“Hopefully a lot more.” I answered as he put his arm around my shoulder and after I looked around not seeing anyone I reached up and took his hand holding his shoulder there. Then we walked and got into his car and we took off in the direction of my house.

“I’m sorry about lunch.” I offered looking over at him.

“Sorry? Why are you sorry?” Chandler asked putting his hand on mine that I had resting on the seat.

“I just thought that you got mad when I was worried about my friends.” I answered looking down as he started rubbing my hand with this thumb.

“Hell no. I was in your shoes once. I know how it feels for a lot of people to be watching you carefully.” Chandler countered making me smile. When we arrived Laura still wasn’t home so I invited Chandler into my room. I was still dressed in my gym uniform and I was going to go take a quick shower, but Chandler grabbed my hand stopping me. He then started pulling to toward him, but I started shaking my head.

“I stink.” I spat trying to get out of his grasp.

“So what?” Chandler asked and I lost the struggle as his arms wrapped around my waist. Then he started kissing me before I could say anything else. He then pushed me down on my back and got on top of me still kissing me.

“Chandler.” I breathed getting nervous. He didn’t respond to that and started rubbing my chest and down my side with his right hand. “Chandler stop.” I whispered and he opened his eyes looking at me.

“I’m sorry I’m moving too fast.” Chandler stated and I shook my head.

“It’s just I don’t know anything about you.” I stated and he smiled.

“Hi, I’m Chandler Morrison.” Chandler whispered before kissing me again. He then had both his hands under my shirt rubbing my chest and stomach.

“Why the hell is Chandler’s car in our driveway?” Laura bellowed then started knocking on the door. Chandler jumped off of me and crossed his legs Indian style on my bed.

“Come in.” I announced and Laura burst through the door.

“Get the fuck out of my house retard.” Laura spat over at Chandler and he frowned.

“Laura stop Chandler is my tutor so get used to seeing him around here.” I spat looking at her. “He was nice enough to bring me home after you neglected me after practice.” I continued causing her mouth to fly open.

“That’s today?” Laura asked walking over to me. “I’m sorry I forgot about that.” Laura continued.

“It’s ok just don’t make a habit out of it.” I countered and she stopped and then turned to Chandler.

“It’s late so leave.” Laura ordered and Chandler stood.

“See you two at school.” Chandler stated evenly and waved. I noticed his face turning red.

“Don’t count on it.” Laura quipped.

“Bye Chandler.” I stated and waved at him. As soon as Chandler had left the house Laura started on me.

“You are not allowed to be hanging out with him. I mean if you need a tutor I can tutor you.” Laura announced, but I smiled.

“I’m old enough to choose who I hang out with Laura.” I stated looking at her. “I mean just because you don’t like him doesn’t mean I have to hate him too.” I continued and she rolled her eyes.

“He’s a bad guy.” Laura spat crossing her arms.

“Hey, he said he tried to apologize for that but your meat-head boyfriend wouldn’t let him.” I countered and she rolled her eyes again.

“Yeah, well. I wouldn’t have accepted it anyway.” Laura huffed then stormed out of my room. I giggled slightly shaking my head. I then took a quick shower and did my homework. It was late when I finally was able to attempt sleeping again, but this time I was too exhausted to toss and turn and fell right to sleep.

Copyright © 2010 Krista; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 6
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..