Jump to content
    Krista
  • Author
  • 3,227 Words
  • 3,577 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Something Unexpected - 16. Chapter 16

“Who were you arguing with on the phone?” Laura asked, walking into my room.

“Nobody it was just stupid.” I lied, rubbing at my eyes with my sleeve.

“Didn’t sound like nobody.” Laura stated evenly, then walked into my room and shut the door.

“Just leave it, Laura. You’re not going to push me around this time.” I snapped picking up the phone dialing Jase’s number. He was the only one that I could talk to in this situation.

“Who are you calling?” Laura asked, in a huff and frowning.

“I’m calling Jase.” I answered and she rolled her eyes.

“Well, if you need me, I’ll be in my room.” Laura announced, leaving me in the room.

“Jase can I come over?” I asked, as someone picked up the phone.

“Andy?” Jase asked sleepily.

“Yes, can I come over? We need to talk.” I asked again.

He was silent for a moment. “Sure come on over.” Jase stated then hung up on me. I smiled weakly then put my phone down.

“Laura take me to Jase’s house.” I bellowed and I heard her get off her bed from the room next to mine and walk down the hall.

“Tell me why, and I will.” She ordered, leaning against my doorway.

“I just had a fight with Chandler, okay? He was being retarded and I’m not even going over to Jase’s to talk about it. I just wanna go and talk, so please take me.” I offered, checking myself in my mirror then turning back to look at her.

“Okay, lets go then.” Laura had given in and I knew it. I could tell she wanted to ask me a billion questions but she let it slide for the moment. The ride over was quiet and I turned away from her to watch the buildings pass by.

“I can tutor you if Chandler doesn’t work out.” Laura announced and I glanced at her forgetting all about the tutoring agreement I had with the school for Chandler to tutor me three times a week.

“I’ll go to the office and get it straightened out sometime Monday.” I sighed then turning to look out the window again.

“Could you at least tell me one thing Andy?” Laura asked pulling over the car nowhere near Jase’s house.

“Okay, one thing and that’s it.” I rolled my eyes not wanting to talk to her.

“Did you and Chandler have a relationship?” Laura asked in a low voice.

My eyes went wide and I refused to look at her. “Uh, well, I wish I could say we didn’t.” I didn’t want to lie to her anymore than I already had. She'd already figured most of it out anyway or she wouldn't have asked me that question.

“That son of a. . .” she started but when I turned around and frowned at her she stopped and offered me a weak smile.

“So that was my one question.” She changed the subject and started the car. I would have to sit down and talk to Laura one day soon, but right now all I wanted to do was talk to the only person who understood me. It seemed funny that it was someone I just met a few weeks ago.

“Pick me up in a few hours?” I asked and she nodded.

“Call me and I’ll be on my way.” Laura responded and I waved at her as she drove off.

“Hey Andy.” Jase greeted from behind me.

“Hey.” I responded, turning to face him. I had never been inside of Jase’s house before or met his parents so I started to feel nervous standing out on his walkway with him.

“Well do you want to just sit out here or go up to my room?” Jase asked, pointing to the chairs outside.

“I want to go somewhere more private.” I answered and he nodded.

“I don’t think you came here just because you were wanting to see me. Something bad has happened hasn’t it?” Jase asked as we entered his house.

“I’m sorry. I want to make it up to you for doing what you did for me last night. Someday, but not today.” I apologized.

He just smiled. “No sweat. Do you want anything?”

I shook my head. Then he led me to his room, which was a little smaller than mine, but still a very nice room. I sat on his bed and looked around, taking it all in. I needed to stall as much as possible as I hadn’t gave a lot of thought to what I wanted to say and I didn’t think I was prepared for the questions that Jase might ask; but then I felt his arm wrap around me and I turned to look at him.

“So tell me what it is,” he asked.

“Ok.” I whispered weakly then paused trying to think of a way to somehow sugarcoat what Chandler had done to me; but there wasn’t any way that I could. “Chandler cheated on me last night with some guy named Marcus.”

“He did what?” Jase asked. When I didn’t answer him he began to swear, “That no good son of. . .”

“No, please, I don’t even hate him.” I interrupted Jase. He smiled weakly and squeezed me closer to him.

“I’m sorry, its just, first he put you through all that with Tim and now he's just topped it with something else.” Jase offered.

At that point I lost the fight with my emotions. I grabbed at Jase's shirt and started crying like a baby. “He did it so easily. He even told that Marcus guy that I was straight, just some kid he’s tutoring. . .” I started to explain. Jase pulled me back on the bed so my head rested on the arm that was draped over his shoulder.

Jase pulled me back on the bed so my head rested on the arm that was draped over his shoulder. “Some people just don’t know how good they have it.” He stated.

I turned to look at him. “I’m just some stupid kid. Chandler wasn’t that serious about me and him.” I announced.

Jase shook his head. “You’re not a stupid kid, Andy. You had nothing to do with what Chandler did. Come on, don’t beat yourself up over what happened.” Jase soothed.

But I wasn’t looking to blame Chandler yet. What he hadn't gotten from me he had found in Marcus. And he had jumped at the chance. “It’s my fault I couldn’t take the pressure of people knowing; and Chandler is a very open person.” I stammered. Then I felt Jase’s other arm wrap me into a hug.

“One day you’ll see that it had nothing to do with you; but, right now, don't beat yourself up over it.” Jase whispered then he kissed my cheek. He didn’t say anything else for a while.

Even after I had stopped crying, I still felt like shit. I sat up abruptly, not willing to accept how nice it felt to be lying with Jase’s arms pressing me closely to his body. I was embarrassed that I had broken down and cried. When I stood Jase sat up on the bed.

“I’m sorry I fell apart like a little girl.” I apologized blushing even though my cheeks were already a little red.

“Crying is never a bad thing.” Jase offered laughing slightly.

“Do you think that Chandler even feels bad about all this?” I asked looking down at the floor, hoping that he did.

“I’m sure he does.” Jase answered and I smiled.

“I can’t face him again.” I stammered weakly. Jase patted the bed beside him and I sat down again. This time, though, when I wanted it, Jase didn’t touch me or attempt to hold me. He just sat there.

“You’ll be able to face him soon enough. It just takes time in these kind of things, I think.” Jase offered, shrugging.

I looked up at him remembering that Jase had confessed to liking me the very night me and Chandler first started a relationship and I frowned that things couldn’t have some how worked out differently.

Jase caught me staring. “Do I have something in me teeth?”

I looked down and blushed. “No.” I said, smiling self consciously and shaking my head.

“So what are you going to do to make it up to me like you said?” Jase asked.

I was glad to be not talking about Chandler for the moment. “Whatever you want, you got it.” I answered.

He looked thoughtful for a second then he kissed me quickly on the lips after grabbing my face and turning it towards his. “There we’re even.” He joked.

I started staring at him again. “Come on now be serious. Just me and you will do something together, no one else.” I was still surprised. I could feel his kiss on my lips and I was fighting the urge to touch them.

“Well we could go bowling.” Jase joked.

I nudged him, frowning and rolled my eyes. “I don’t think I’ll ever want to go bowling again.”

“We can do anything, as long as you’re going to be there.” Jase offered seriously.

“Well, do you just want to spend a weekend with me, sometime?” I asked hopeful.

“Yeah.” Jase answered immediately.

“We own a cabin that we don’t ever use. Maybe I can convince Mom to let me and you crash up there,” I suggested.

Jase look excited about the idea but he shrugged “Whatever works.” He was trying to play it down; but I had already caught him.

“Me and Chandler were supposed to go on a date tonight. My first one ever.” I announced, frowning as I remembered what day it was.

Jase paused. “Some things just happen unexpectedly.” He responded.

“I should have listened to Laura when she said he was bad news.” I blamed myself again.

Jase just rolled his eyes. “Look, you went for something that I was too scared to go for Andy. There is nothing wrong with you or what you did it just didn’t work out. Who knows? One day you may see Chandler as that nice guy again.” Jase countered the conviction in his voice, weakening as he went on. “Just remember that you have me to talk to when things don’t work out.”

“I’m done with Chandler.” I announced shaking my head. “I told him today that I didn’t want anything more to do with him.”

“You were also upset and confused, Andy.” Jase pointed out.

I shook my head stubbornly. “Chandler cheated on me. In my book, that’s the worst thing a person can do other than killing me.” I snapped, crossing my arms.

“I’ll try to remember that.” Jase quipped.

I turned and found him sitting there with a huge grin on his face. “You know no one can stay mad at you for longer than a second when you smile like that.” I prodded.

Jase started to blush. “It doesn’t work on my mom.” He countered rolling his eyes.

“Where are your parents?” I asked curiously.

“They’re at the office.” Jase answered.

I heard his stomach growl and I looked down at my watch. I had been here for a couple of hours. “You haven’t eaten anything all day have you?” I asked as he put his hand over his stomach.

“Just a little toothpaste that I accidentally swallowed today.” Jase joked.

“Well that obviously doesn’t count.” I countered, standing and walking to his door.

“Where are you going?” He asked, also standing.

“To fix you dinner. I owe you for listening to me.” I stated evenly.

“You don’t have to. I can just order a pizza.” Jase announced but I started looking for the kitchen and he followed behind me. I was still completely depressed over Chandler; but Jase deserved a friend and I hadn’t been one to him since I put him in the back of my mind when Chandler first came on to me.

“What do you want?” I asked him.

Jase gave in and sat down at the table. “What can you fix and not burn the house down?” he asked, unsure of my cooking abilities.

“I’m a good cook.” I growled, pretending to be offended.

“Grilled cheese sandwiches.” Jase muttered.

I rolled my eyes. “That’s not a meal, that’s just nasty.” I opened his refrigerator seeing what he had in there.

“Grilled cheese is good! You don’t know what you’re missing.” Jase joked.

I closed the refrigerator door not finding anything. “What do you people live off of?” I asked in astonishment.

“Take out.” Jase shrugged.

I laughed slightly. “Where do you keep your meat?” I asked glancing at the clock.

“In the freezer over there.” Jase answered, pointing to the large freezer beside the dishwasher.

“Well, if you can wait about an hour for these steaks to thaw I can feed you something good.” I announced.

He smiled, “I think I can wait.”

I laid out two steaks to cook for him and me. “Okay, then what'll we do now?” I asked leaning against the refrigerator.

“You know, I have yet to figure you out.” Jase almost whispered.

I smiled, not knowing what he meant by that, “What do you mean?” I asked.

“I’m not saying.” Jase countered crossing his arms and still staring at me.

“Why not?” I asked, returning his stare.

“Because I don’t know how to explain you.” Jase answered seriously.

I smirked, walking towards him. “Just one word to sum me up. What would that be?” I asked not taking my eyes off him.

“I don’t know, I said.” Jase snapped, playfully.

“With all the words in our language, you don’t know anything that could fit what I am?” I asked rolling my eyes.

“Well that’s what makes it hard.” Jase countered.

I shook my head, “It’s easy for me. I already have a good one for you.” I announced and he looked thoughtful.

“And what is that?” Jase asked just as curiously.

“Well it’s a secret until you come up with a word for me.” I explained.

He frowned, “You’re a pain. Now give me mine.” Jase quipped.

I laughed slightly. I was still standing a foot from him he was still sitting at the kitchen table. “No.” I whispered, smiling evilly at him.

“What are you planning to fix for me then?” Jase asked, giving up.

“Barbequed steaks, baked potatoes, macaroni and cheese, and toast, I guess. You don’t have much to choose from.” I answered as I sat down at the table next to him.

“That’s better than any take-out.” Jase responded and I heard his stomach growl again.

“Well at least your stomach agrees.” I joked, sticking out my tongue.

“Oh, I have a word.” Jase announced, catching me off guard.

“Okay, tell me.” I stated excitedly.

“No, because, how do I know if you have a word or not?” Jase asked.

I rolled my eyes. “You can trust that I do,” I groaned, shaking my head.

“We’ll just say our words at the same time then.” Jase offered.

“That’ll work,” I agreed.

“On the count of three then,” Jase said.

I nodded.

“One, two, three. . .” Jase trailed off and then we both started laughing when neither of us said our words.

“Come on we have to do it this time. Just say it right now.”

Jase groaned, shaking his head.

Then, when I nodded. . .

“WONDERFUL.”

We both said it in unison.

Then we stared at one another with stupid expressions on our faces.

“Wonderful?” I asked.

After a short pause he started laughing. “I can’t believe we picked the same word.” Jase announced.

Then I started laughing. “Well you’ve become so important to me.” I announced, growing serious again.

“You know how I feel about you.” Jase stated.

I nodded. I knew that he liked me and I felt bad briefly, like I was leading him on or something. One day Jase and I might be together. I could see it. His eyes told me that he was devoted to my happiness; and he had already showed me that he’d stick by me no matter what. "I can trust him with my feelings," I thought. But Chandler was that to me too and I needed the time to forgive Chandler, to move on and stop feeling like I had been responsible for Chandler’s decision to do what he did to me.

I turned back to Jase. “Well, you just sit back and relax. Those steaks should be thawed by now.” and started cooking dinner for the two of us. It was the most comfortable silence imaginable as I lost myself in cooking. I wanted to make this the best dinner I had ever cooked for somebody and I grew nervous as things started to get finished.

“Well, it smells good.” Jase announced as I handed him his plate at the table.

“Yeah, it does that.” I agreed as I poured us both some lemonade and sat down beside him to start eating.

“This is actually really good.” Jase complimented my cooking.

I was relieved. “Thank you.” I beamed and started eating. When we were finished I gathered up the dishes and put them in the sink. there really weren't enough dishes to throw into the dishwasher but Jase stopped me when I went to wash them. Then he kissed me on the lips. It was a longer kiss than the one on his bed. I sighed after he let the kiss end.

“That was for cooking me dinner.” Jase whispered and I kissed him back.

“And that was for listening to me.” I smiled weakly, thinking that it was too soon to be kissing someone new. I somehow felt that I was sinking down to Chandler’s level and leading Jase on. Reality was quickly setting in and I felt ashamed.

“What’s wrong?” Jase asked noticing that I had frowned.

“I feel like I’m leading you on or cheating on Chandler and it’s just stupid.” I blabbed, not thinking.

He grinned. “I know we’re just friends, Andy. I can wait for as long as I have to. But don’t forget about me when you’ve moved on. Besides, I kissed you first.” Jase explained.

I nodded, smiling, “Well I need to call Laura to come get me. It’s getting late,” I announced and he nodded. So, I made my call and then we went into the living room and sat. He scooted close to me on the couch but he didn’t say anything. I sat there enjoying the closeness of him as a friend. When Laura knocked on the door I got up and I waved at him.

“Bye Andy.” He waved as I walked out the door.

On the way home I let Laura know that I was feeling a lot better after talking to Jase. She smiled at me but she didn’t say much in the ride home. She also didn’t say anything to me after we got to the house, or when she walked past me on her way to bed. I wasn’t in the mood to ask her if anything was up; but at least I was tired enough to sleep. I stripped down to my boxer briefs and did just that.

Copyright © 2010 Krista; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 6
  • Love 2
  • Sad 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..