Jump to content
    LitLover
  • Author
  • 2,409 Words
  • 6,256 Views
  • 25 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Unforgivable - 26. Chapter 26

I apologize for the delay in getting this chapter out.  Between the Thanksgiving holiday, illness and work obligations, I didn't have the time to give Corey and Jason the attention they deserved.  Luckily with the next chapter already 90% written I don't anticipate another delay.   :*)

Chapter 26

 

“You look happy. I guess things are going well with Corey?”

Jason turned his head to look at his mother as they walked along the waterfront. Her arm was looped through his as they strolled behind Corey and Jason’s father, who were having an in-depth discussion about baseball injuries.

“It’s going very well with Corey,” Jason acknowledged with a smile. “And when am I not happy?”

“You weren’t yourself at Christmastime,” Ruth Sedor lowered her voice and slowed down slightly, forcing Jason to shorten his stride. “When you told me you were involved, I put two and two together. He’s the reason you had a rough holiday, isn’t he?”

“Mom,” he chided lightly. “That was months ago. Why are you bringing this up now?”

“Because,” she replied with a sound of exasperation that only parents seemed to perfect, “I haven’t seen you since December, and this wasn’t a conversation I wanted to have over the phone.”

“Why? Did you think I would try to wriggle out of telling the truth?” Jason joked, trying to lighten the suddenly tense conversation.

“Maybe, maybe not. You’ve never had a very good poker face. I can usually tell if there’s something you’re trying to keep from me.” She gave him a pointed looked. “And I know you, Jason Sedor. You wouldn’t want to tell me something that might impact how I feel about Corey… especially if I found out he hurt you.”

“It’s long over, Mom. There’s nothing for you to worry about.”

“So there was something?”

“Not that it’s really any of your business, but yes,” he admitted, realizing his well-meaning, but nosy mother wasn’t going to let this go. Knowing her tenacity, she might even approach Corey to get answers. He loved his mother, but sometimes she just didn’t know when to leave well enough alone where her children were concerned. “Something did happen in December, but it’s all been resolved. I’ve never been happier.”

“And that’s all you’re going to tell me?”

“Whatever issue there may have been is between my boyfriend and me. We’ve worked through what we needed to, and are in a great place right now. That’s all you need to know.”

She considered him for a moment before smiling and nodding. “Fair enough. I didn’t expect you to say much. You’ve always been a very private person, but I wouldn’t be your mom if I didn’t ask. I have to admit, I’ve never seen you smile or laugh as much as you have since we’ve been here.”

Thinking back on the last several years he realized she was right. He hadn’t been unhappy with Luc, but Corey made him happier than he’d ever been before. Even now he couldn’t keep the smile off of his face as he watched his boyfriend laughing at something his dad said.

The Sedors had arrived the day before and, after settling into their hotel, joined Jason and Corey for dinner and the grand tour of the house. As Jason suspected they would, his parents loved his new home. His mother had been especially impressed with the pond and waterfall in the secluded backyard. The meal, which Jason and Corey had prepared together, was also a hit. After eating, they spent the remainder of the evening talking and laughing about old times. The older couple were especially interested in the years since they’d last seen Corey. It was hard to believe more than five years had passed between his last visit home and Drew’s wedding. Jason was thankful his mother was tactful enough not to mention the reason Corey had stopped coming to town. Ian Smyth’s philandering ways had her hating the man on principle for years, and although she never said anything directly to Corey, her opinion wasn’t a secret to Jason.

“You still watch him like a hawk.” His mother’s amused voice broke into his thoughts.

“Hmm?”

Her giggle caused the two men to stop and look back at them. She waved them off with a grin before turning her attention back onto her son. “When you were younger you used to watch that boy all the time. You were as protective of him as you were of Katy and Drew. It was sweet how he would follow you around like a puppy. Considering the age difference I was surprised you never lost patience with having him always underfoot. Sometimes it was like he lived in your back pocket. Your dad used to say you were the forever type of friends. I guess he was right.”

“I’d like to think so.” The big blond smiled down at his mother, and squeezed her arm gently.

Their afternoon sightseeing stroll led them back to the pier where they were scheduled to take a dinner cruise. Ruth was so excited when they told her their plans that Jason knew he owed Corey a huge thank you for his suggestion. He smiled to himself as he thought of the ideas he had to reward his sexy boyfriend… privately.

Their timing was perfect, and they reached the dock just as the passengers were boarding. Jason escorted his group onboard where they were shown to their table. It didn’t take long for the vessel to fill up and get underway. The crowd’s excitement was as tangible as the hum of the engines while servers made their way from table to table, taking drink orders. The setting sun on the horizon added to the ambiance, which could have been romantic if his parents weren’t sitting across from them. Jason made a mental note to bring Corey back again sometime… alone. He might even arrange a private charter just for the two of them.

Jason was impressed with the entire evening. He wasn’t sure what he’d expected, but was pleasantly surprised with the quality of the food and entertainment. The music for the evening was provided by a jazz quartet… a genre everyone at their table enjoyed. Corey leaned slightly into him as they watched the scenery outside the tall windows. He wished he could hold his boyfriend, like his parents held each other, but he wasn’t sure how such a blatant display of affection would be received. Instead, he satisfied himself with discreet brushes of their legs and slight touches with their hands throughout the night.

“So, Son,” his dad said when the musicians took a break. “Has your firm decided to bring in another lawyer, or are they still dragging their feet?”

“The rumor mill at head office says they’re going to be conducting interviews very soon.” Since the office opened last year they’d been incredibly busy, and Jason had spoken with the partners several times about needing another solicitor to handle the overflow they were currently turning away. “Chris McLeod is part of the vetting process, and he sounded pretty confident we’ll have someone by the end of the summer, if not sooner.”

“Speaking of summer… do you two have any plans?” Ruth Sedor lifted her head from her husband’s shoulder, smiling when he kissed her temple.

“We’re going to Ottawa in a couple of weeks to visit Pierre and David,” Corey responded, obviously pleased with their upcoming trip.

“I haven’t seen Pierre since Drew’s wedding,” Ruth huffed. “I swear that boy hasn’t come to visit in years.”

Jason chuckled. “Well, his parents did move out of town, Mom.”

“Still… he could stop in to say hello. He knows we would always have a bed for him… and that sweet man he’s seeing.”

“I’ll be sure to pass on the message when we see them.”

When darkness finally settled in, the remainder of their journey consisted of quiet conversation between musical sets. It was a beautiful area and Jason was tempted to see if he could purchase a cottage nearby, but wasn’t thrilled with the prices of recreational properties in the region. On the other hand, the lakeside cottage where they stayed during their vacation with Drew was just what he was looking for, and according to Liz the price was reasonable… if it was still on the market. It would be a great destination in any season. The biggest selling point for him was how much Corey had loved the place. Seeing the brunette staring wistfully at the moonlit water he decided to give making an offer serious thought.

They were relaxed, but tired, when they finally disembarked. His parent’s hotel was only a short walk away, so Jason had parked there. After such a filling meal he was happy for the opportunity to stretch his legs before saying goodnight to his parents. With a promise to join them for breakfast the next morning, they left his parents waving goodbye as he drove away.

“Did you have a good time?”

Jason looked at his boyfriend for a second before turning his attention back to the road. “I had a wonderful time. It was a great idea. I’m glad you thought of it.”

“I’m full of fantastic ideas,” Corey said, pulling out of Jason’s grip only to place his hand on a muscular thigh.

“That sounds promising,” Jason responded with a wink. “I do have to repay you for tonight.”

“There’s nothing to repay, but if you insist, I think I can come up with some form of payment... I even offer an installment plan.”

“There is something to be said about spreading things out.”

Corey stroked his fingertips along Jason’s inner thigh and chuckled when his muscles twitched. “Yes. Yes there is.”

The promise in that touch had Jason wishing they were already home.

 

<><><>

 

The next morning both men were rushing around the house getting ready for the day. Somehow… and Jason was placing the blame firmly on Corey… they’d forgotten to set an alarm the night before. The fact Jason had kept his hot boyfriend occupied for hours before they finally fell into an exhausted sleep was irrelevant. Jason was meeting his parents for breakfast before they left for home. Corey would have liked to join them, but had a full morning of clients scheduled.

Jason was buttoning his jeans when his phone started to ring. He looked at the caller ID and frowned. Why in the world would the office be calling him? He’d taken the day and there weren’t any pressing files at the moment.

“Jason Sedor speaking.”

“Mr. Sedor?. This is Nadine from the office. I apologize for bothering you on your day off, but an issue has come up that needs your attention.”

“What’s going on?”

“Anton, from head office just called. There is an important meeting with counsel from all offices on the twenty-third of this month. They want to confirm your attendance immediately because they’ve also scheduled professional development sessions the next day.”

“What?” Jason wracked his brain and couldn’t remember being informed of a meeting. “When was this decided?”

“Apparently it’s been scheduled for more than a month, but someone neglected to pass on the message to the satellite offices.” Jason could hear the exasperation in his secretary’s voice.

Jason rubbed the back of his neck, feeling tension start to settle in when he realized he’d have to cancel his Ottawa plans.

“Well, it can’t be helped. Luckily I already had the Friday booked off, so we don’t have any appointments or closings to reschedule. Confirm my attendance and we’ll discuss the details tomorrow. Thank you for letting me know.”

Jason waited for her goodbye before turning off his phone and stuffing it in his pocket. How was he going to break the news to Corey that he had to cancel their plans? With a huff of irritation he headed for the kitchen to face the music.

“Jase.” Corey greeted him with smile and a kiss. “You’d better get a move on. You’re going to be late. Weren’t your parents expecting you ten minutes ago?”

“Babe, there’s something I have to tell you.”

“Uh oh. That sounds ominous.” Corey put down his cup of coffee and looked up at him with a concerned expression on his face. “Who was on the phone? Did something happen?”

“I’m sorry, Cor,” he said with a resigned sigh. “I can’t go to Ottawa. I just found out I have a meeting scheduled with the senior partners that Friday and a mandatory training conference the day after. Someone was supposed to inform the satellite offices a long time ago, and dropped the ball.” Jason rubbed his hand over his face. “I would try to get out of it, but I don’t think there’s a way I can.”

Seeing the disappointment flash in his boyfriend’s eyes made Jason’s anger rise. It might be mean-spirited, but he hoped the negligent staff member had been fired, if only for causing Corey pain.

“It’s okay. I know you wouldn’t cancel if you had a choice. I’ll call Pierre and let him know we can’t come.”

Jason’s heart ached at seeing his boyfriend’s strained smile. “Why don’t you still go?”

“Without you?”

“There’s no point in you sitting around here. Pierre is expecting you. This way at least you two can hang out while I waste away in my meeting.”

“I don’t know….”

“You don’t have to decide anything today. Just keep it in mind. I would hate for everyone to be disappointed because someone in head office didn’t do their job.”

Corey put his arms around Jason’s waist. “I’ll think about it.” The younger man looked up at him with a more genuine smile. “Maybe you’ll get a chance to meet up with a few friends while you’re in town. You haven’t seen anyone since you moved, have you?”

Jason thought the suggestion had some merit. There were a few people he wouldn’t mind catching up with. “I’ll have to check what time the meeting is scheduled when I go in tomorrow, but I could probably arrange dinner with a few of the guys.”

“There is usually a silver lining if you look for one.” Corey placed a kiss on his jaw. “Now you’d better get out of here before your parents start without you.”

Jason looked down at his boyfriend and was struck again with how lucky he was to have this man in his life. “God, I love you,” he whispered, cupping Corey’s freshly shaven jaw. “You know that right?”

Corey nuzzled into his hand before placing a kiss onto his palm. “I know, but I’ll never get tired of hearing you say it.”

I'd like to send a huge thank you to my editor/beta reader and friend, Gary.    :glomp:   And thank you to everyone who reads and supports this story.  :thankyou:
Copyright © 2016 LitLover; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 63
  • Love 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

It was worth the wait, Lit. Another good chapter where we get to see Jason interact with his mother while we get a few more insights into these guy's younger lives. I'm wondering what you have planned for Jason's weekend while Corey is away... hmmmm. I love these two and the connection they have... good work, my friend... cheers... Gary....

Link to comment

Never feel bad about things taking a pause. This was great as usual, and the lines before the break had me smiling brightly.

 

Hmm... is work stress and some other Toronto foibles going to become the next issue in Jason and Corey's relationship? Or is Jason going to end up laying some frustrated smacks own on his firm and leave? Being a solo lawyer is tough, but Jason is a smart, hardworking guy...

Link to comment

:wub::wub: such a relaxing and loving visit. The guys are so good at compromising and finding the silver lining. :thankyou:

Link to comment

Nice visit with the parents. Shame about Ottawa, but can't be helped. ..will they be ok when separated? Tune in next week... (liked it, btw) :)

Link to comment

That sucks about their visit to see Pierre and David. Jeez, what if they were going to a family wedding or something? That's really not fair. The corporate office forgot to tell the satellite offices, but really, if they had something big like a wedding, what would they do?

 

Corey should go anyway. What's he gonna do, mope all weekend at home?

 

Love the visit with Jason's folks. Mama Sedor is just looking out for her son, like all good mamas. :)

Link to comment
On 10/20/2016 02:06 AM, Headstall said:

It was worth the wait, Lit. Another good chapter where we get to see Jason interact with his mother while we get a few more insights into these guy's younger lives. I'm wondering what you have planned for Jason's weekend while Corey is away... hmmmm. I love these two and the connection they have... good work, my friend... cheers... Gary....

The connection between these two men is fun to write, and it makes me happy that other people feel that connection between them, too.

I guess we'll have to wait until Wednesday to see what I have planned for the weekend away ;)

 

Thank you for all of your support and another wonderful review, Gary :hug:

Link to comment
On 10/20/2016 02:21 AM, Lux Apollo said:

Never feel bad about things taking a pause. This was great as usual, and the lines before the break had me smiling brightly.

 

Hmm... is work stress and some other Toronto foibles going to become the next issue in Jason and Corey's relationship? Or is Jason going to end up laying some frustrated smacks own on his firm and leave? Being a solo lawyer is tough, but Jason is a smart, hardworking guy...

As I said in my response to Gary, I guess you'll have to tune in next week to see where this weekend goes, and what happens as a result. ;)

 

thank you for your review and your support, Lux :)

Link to comment
On 10/20/2016 12:43 PM, LadyDe said:

:wub::wub: such a relaxing and loving visit. The guys are so good at compromising and finding the silver lining. :thankyou:

Some people seem to have a knack for finding a silver lining... they're eternal optimists. Funny thing is, i don't think Corey was much of an optimist before Jason.

 

Thank you for your review and your support, LadyDe :)

Link to comment
On 10/20/2016 01:46 PM, Mikiesboy said:

Nice visit with the parents. Shame about Ottawa, but can't be helped. ..will they be ok when separated? Tune in next week... (liked it, btw) :)

After read your review I heard the ominous "bu bu buh!!" from old thriller movies. lol Who knows what will happen when they're separated. It'll be a new experience for both of them :)

 

Thank you for your review and your support, tim :hug:

Link to comment
On 10/21/2016 01:17 PM, Lisa said:

That sucks about their visit to see Pierre and David. Jeez, what if they were going to a family wedding or something? That's really not fair. The corporate office forgot to tell the satellite offices, but really, if they had something big like a wedding, what would they do?

 

Corey should go anyway. What's he gonna do, mope all weekend at home?

 

Love the visit with Jason's folks. Mama Sedor is just looking out for her son, like all good mamas. :)

From experience with larger companies, they don't often take their staff's personal lives, or conflicts into account when scheduling meetings and engagements. It is possible Jason could have gotten out of the meeting (or teleconferenced) if he had something urgent that conflicted, but a trip to visit friends wouldn't have earned him any sympathy.

 

Thank you for your review and your support, Lisa :)

Link to comment

Well, I get the feeling you're lulling us with romance and a nice parental visit (and hints of a hot night), before dropping the axe on us. :o There were some ominous hints, I think. The obvious one is what kind of friends will Jason meet and will they respect him being in a serious relationship ? And did Corey suggest him going out with friends as a test? But I'm actually more worried about Jason planning to put in an offer for the cottage without telling Corey. Isn't this something they should decide together? I would be pretty pissed if my SO pulled a surprise like that on me, even if he (or she) only spent their own money. But of course, if Jason is a lot richer than Corey, he might not see it that way.

Link to comment

There are gonna be times that life gets in the way ... the trick is in how they are handled.
Nice chapter, and I loved the nosy mom.

Link to comment

Mothers... shaking head... :rolleyes: ... but she did pick up on how happy Jason is now :)
My sympathies go out to Jason - having to cancel the Ottawa trip because head office didn't do its job, typical :(
Bring on the next chapter

Link to comment
On 10/22/2016 07:24 AM, Timothy M. said:

Well, I get the feeling you're lulling us with romance and a nice parental visit (and hints of a hot night), before dropping the axe on us. :o There were some ominous hints, I think. The obvious one is what kind of friends will Jason meet and will they respect him being in a serious relationship ? And did Corey suggest him going out with friends as a test? But I'm actually more worried about Jason planning to put in an offer for the cottage without telling Corey. Isn't this something they should decide together? I would be pretty pissed if my SO pulled a surprise like that on me, even if he (or she) only spent their own money. But of course, if Jason is a lot richer than Corey, he might not see it that way.

Would I do that to you :o.

 

Don't worry about Jason buying the cottage without consulting Corey. He won't do that. I actually took out that they did talk about it, but hadn't made a decision. :)

 

As for the axe? :X

 

Thank you for your review and your support, Tim :hug:

Link to comment
On 10/22/2016 07:25 AM, dughlas said:

There are gonna be times that life gets in the way ... the trick is in how they are handled.

Nice chapter, and I loved the nosy mom.

Thanks, Dugh :*) she might be a little overbearing and nosy but she does love her boys :).

 

Thank you for your review and your support :hug:

Link to comment
On 10/22/2016 01:12 PM, Bucket1 said:

Mothers... shaking head... :rolleyes: ... but she did pick up on how happy Jason is now :)

My sympathies go out to Jason - having to cancel the Ottawa trip because head office didn't do its job, typical :(

Bring on the next chapter

lol yeah it can be typical of head offices. They can sometimes forget/not care that their employees might have lives. I think it'd be kinda hard to miss how happy Jason is right now ;)

 

Thank you for your support and your review, B. :hug:

Link to comment
On 10/22/2016 02:51 PM, lakjehboh said:

Why do i have a feeling Luc is going to hit Jason up

I guess you'll have to read on to find out ;)

 

It's great to hear from you lakjehboh. I appreciate the review :)

Link to comment
  • Site Moderator

Nice chapter Lit.
I really like how Jason and Corey mesh together perfectly. Add the icing on the cake that Jason's parents love Corey like son also leaves me with warm fuzzies for this family.
No if only I didn't have this foreboding feeling that Luc is going to mess up Jason's trip.....

Link to comment

The Sedors visit was most pleasant. Even mom noticed the connection between Jason and Corey from way back when.
I hope Corey still goes to Ottawa. That office mixup sounds like south at would definitely happen right in the middle of a good time..

 

Nice Chapter..

Link to comment
On 10/31/2016 12:22 PM, Defiance19 said:

The Sedors visit was most pleasant. Even mom noticed the connection between Jason and Corey from way back when.

I hope Corey still goes to Ottawa. That office mixup sounds like south at would definitely happen right in the middle of a good time..

 

Nice Chapter..

It would be good for Corey to go to Ottawa. It's never fun to be home, moping :)

 

Thank you for your review and your support, Def :hug:

Link to comment

I like how both of Jason's parents noticed how he and Corey interacted when they were young.

 

I had been thinking the corporate meeting was going to be a little hiccup, but the consensus seems to be something much bigger! I hope my first instinct was right, but it doesn't feel like it now…

Link to comment
On 01/19/2017 04:54 PM, droughtquake said:

I like how both of Jason's parents noticed how he and Corey interacted when they were young.

 

I had been thinking the corporate meeting was going to be a little hiccup, but the consensus seems to be something much bigger! I hope my first instinct was right, but it doesn't feel like it now…

I think we've firmly established that Jason and Corey's feelings for each other were a secret only to them :P

 

Thank you for your review and your support, droughtquake :)

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..