Jump to content
    Rob Colton
  • Author
  • 992 Words
  • 18,866 Views
  • 9 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Noah's New Plan - 5. Chapter 5

Derek calls Noah, wanting to see him in person to discuss something important.

Noah's fake date with Eli started out a complete and utter disaster. He was so damned embarrassed. It was like he couldn't get his mouth or even his brain to work. He wasn't surprised when the other man finally lost patience with him.

But then something happened. Noah stopped worrying about what to do, what to say, what to think. It wasn't like he had to impress Eli. It wasn't a real date. The man was simply buying Noah dinner to apologize.

The other man ended up surprising Noah with his charm and they had spent the rest of the date talking and laughing over dessert.

Noah didn't plan on seeing Eli again, but the two men had traded phone numbers. Even though Eli wasn't Noah's type, it was good practice for a real date.

The sound of tinkling chimes snapped Noah out of his daydreams.

He reached into his pocket and pulled out his phone. The name on the screen was the last he expected to see.

Derek Pepper.

Why on earth would the man be calling him now? Was he calling to say that he had made a mistake? Would Noah even take him back?

Sliding his finger across the screen at the last possible second, Noah answered the call. "Hello?"

"Noah?" The man's voice sounded so smooth.

"Hi, Derek." Noah's heart was in his throat. He hoped that his voice came across as calm.

"I'd like to talk to you. It's important. Can we meet tonight?"

Noah swallowed the lump in his throat. "Yes."

"I'll see you at the house at six."

"All right. Bye, Derek."

He hung up the phone and looked at the calendar under his desk blotter. He tapped his fingers on the calendar months, backwards starting from today.

One. Two. Three. Four. Five. Six.

That was the night that Derek walked out. The day after their twentieth anniversary. That night Derek packed a bag and left. The bastard didn't even look back.

Tonight Noah would make him grovel a little bit before he decided if he would even forgive him.

* * * *

As soon as his shift ended, Noah hurried home and jumped into the shower. He made sure he was nice and clean and well-groomed. He didn't have time to manscape, though. Not that Derek would be getting the opportunity to see any of that. He would have to earn that right. But Noah did splash on a bit of the cologne Derek bought him last Christmas.

When Derek arrived at six o'clock on the dot, he walked right into the house without knocking.

It was strange. Noah was slightly taken aback by seeing the man come in like that. He acted like he had never left. In a way it was comforting, but in the back of Noah's head, it just seemed... wrong.

"Hello, Derek," Noah greeted him with a smile. "It's good to see you."

"You, too, Noah." Derek looked Noah up and down and then smiled. "How have you been?"

Why did that smile make Noah's heart flutter just like it did all those years ago? "I've been fine. I haven't had time to make dinner yet. If you're hungry, maybe we could go out?"

"I don't really have time," Derek said as he glanced at his BlackBerry. "Listen. I needed to come by to tell you that I decided to put the house on the market. So, I'll need you to make sure you keep it presentable, and to be available on the realtor's schedule."

To say that he was shocked was an understatement. Noah grabbed the back of the love seat to steady himself. "You're selling our home?"

"Technically it's my home."

"Oh." Noah felt the tears welling up. "So you didn't want..." He took a breath and shook his head. "Never mind."

"You'll have some time to get your things in order. You understand, don't you? You had to know that this wasn't permanent."

No, he didn't know. And he didn't understand. "What? Oh. Yeah. Of course."

"All right. I need to go. Regan is waiting for me in the car."

Ah, yes. The twenty-something twink. How did Noah forget about him? "Regan? Is that his name? We certainly can't keep him waiting."

Derek sighed impatiently. "Noah."

Noah shrugged. "I'm just saying. Who names their kid Regan? Didn't his parents see The Exorcist?" Noah scoffed. "Well, I suppose the name fits." Seeing how the little homewrecking slut was a demon from hell.

"It's Reagan with an 'A'. His parents are staunch republicans."

"Same thing."

"I'm not going to talk to you when you're like this."

Derek turned and walked out. And like last time, he didn't look back.

* * * *

Another draw.

Noah had played eight games of Solitaire in a row. He wasn't going to stop until he won, but now he didn't even care. In his hurt and anger, he just wasn't able to concentrate. He thought that playing the game on his laptop would keep him from thinking about what happened earlier in the evening. If he thought about it too hard, he would spend the rest of the night crying his eyes out. He had shed more than enough tears for Derek Pepper.

Maybe the kids at work were right. Maybe what he needed was to meet someone and have a little fun. Cross off that first item on his list.

Noah slammed the lid of his laptop shut and got up from his sofa.

He was going out.

Standing in his closet, he flipped through the hanging clothes searching for the right outfit to wear to a gay bar. Somewhere he could meet a hot guy. A guy who would look at Noah like he was sexy, not toss him aside like trash, all for some young piece of ass. Someone who couldn't keep their hands off Noah.

Maybe he could meet that someone at a place like the Buckle...

Copyright © 2014 Rob Colton; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 63
  • Love 7
  • Haha 1
  • Angry 7
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I feel sorry for Noah....he thought Derek wanted him back and instead he threw him out of his own home. :huh: Eli seemed nice, Noah should definitely see him again.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

WEll, isn't Derek Mr.Nice Guy. Need to see you tonite, so I can throw you out of the house kind of guy. Noah is lucky to get rid of him.

I hope Noah runs into Eli, and doesn't do the random hook up thing!

  • Like 1
Link to comment

After twenty years together, Derek owes Noah some " palimony." Sue the bastard! Even if Noah didn't win the case, he would at least show the world what shithead Derek is.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Forty-one years old and this Noah doesn't seem to have any life that doesn't revolve around fucking Derek. No wonder the guy was looking for something new. Noah doesn't need to get laid, he needs to get a life, play the cello, volunteer at the local homeless shelter, fingernail art, but something! Something that isn't just getting into a relationship so he can have an identity. Eli is kind of appealing, but I doubt Noah is enough his own man to avoid screwing it up.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

What a shit Derek is! Now where is Noah supposed to go? He can't afford a fancy condo like Derek can. I'm all for Ozy's suggestion: Noah should sue Derek for some kind of financial restitution. Too bad they weren't married, but still, living together more than seven years is like something in the courts' eyes, isn't it?

 

Now he's gonna go to the Buckle and get drunk. lol At least Eli can take him home. Poor Noah.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 10/2/2013 at 8:43 AM, Stephen said:

The Buckle? Isn't that where Eli works? Hmmm...so much for not seeing him again.

Yeah. Eli is in the back of his mind maybe. 

Link to comment
On 10/3/2013 at 12:15 PM, khasidi said:

Forty-one years old and this Noah doesn't seem to have any life that doesn't revolve around fucking Derek. No wonder the guy was looking for something new. Noah doesn't need to get laid, he needs to get a life, play the cello, volunteer at the local homeless shelter, fingernail art, but something! Something that isn't just getting into a relationship so he can have an identity. Eli is kind of appealing, but I doubt Noah is enough his own man to avoid screwing it up.

Yeah, it seems like Noah was not himself but an appendage of Derek. 

Link to comment

The Buckle seems like a bad idea. Noah will be out of his depth and Eli will save him. My heart is aflutter. 😆 

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..