Jump to content
    Rob Colton
  • Author
  • 867 Words
  • 25,359 Views
  • 13 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Noah's New Plan - 1. Chapter 1

Single and starting over, forty-one-year-old Noah decides he needs a new plan.

As Noah Anderson pulled his toothbrush from the fancy glass holder on his bathroom vanity, he gave pause. Still sitting next to his purple toothbrush was Derek's red-handled brush. The ends were frayed and bent out ever-so-slightly, a testament to the way the man scrubbed much too hard.

Noah had no idea why he kept the red toothbrush, nor did he know why Derek didn't take it with him. Derek had left six months ago and he wasn't coming back.

After applying his special sensitive toothpaste to the bristles, Noah set about cleaning his teeth. He stared at his reflection in the mirror as he did so, wondering where the time went.

The blond dye in his naturally brown hair was nearly all the way grown out now. One more haircut would take care of it. As he grew older, his hair had darkened and he regularly had it colored to match his younger shade. But ever since Derek left, he couldn't afford to get it dyed and styled at the expensive salon downtown.

That wasn't the only change over the past six months. His vision fading, he was reduced to wearing progressive lenses in his glasses. Glasses he never would have dared to wear when he was with Derek. Derek didn't like the way they hid his light brown eyes and insisted on contact lenses.

Derek wouldn't have approved of the fine hair that had grown back on his chest and around his dick either. Not that it mattered. It had been so long since Derek had even looked at him naked, let alone touched him.

Noah was still in nice shape for his age. Regular workouts on the treadmill and endless salads kept his figure nice and slim. And thanks to his mom's fabulous genes, he could pass for several years younger than his true age.

He did a lot to keep Derek happy. But what was the point of it now?

Noah had to face the facts. He was no longer a cute young twink who could turn someone like Derek Pepper's eye. He was forty-one years old.

He was single and starting over.

The only man he had ever loved, the only man he had ever had made love with, had left him. Twenty years Noah gave him. And Derek left him for a stupid twink. Some twenty-something law clerk. Some slut who came in and shook his ass at the firm's senior partner.

Of course, twenty years ago, Noah was the twink that caught Derek's eye.

Noah would never forget the first time he saw Derek Pepper. The older man was so suave and sophisticated. He walked into the library like he owned the place. He was the most handsome man Noah had ever seen. At thirty-one years old, Derek was already a successful attorney at his firm, ruthless and ambitious. Back then, Noah was a twenty-one year old library clerk. That Derek wanted anything to do with a shy geek like Noah absolutely floored him.

But when Derek Pepper wanted something, he got it. And for some reason, he wanted Noah. Derek swept Noah off his feet and he never looked back.

Fast forward to now.

Derek had recently turned fifty. He was still a stud though, and he only got better with age. He kept in fantastic shape. His hair was more salt than pepper these days, but it only made him look more handsome and distinguished. More than once, Noah had heard people compare him to George Clooney in the looks department, and there was something of a resemblance. Not only in his looks, but in the attitude as well. As a senior partner at his law firm, he was successful and well-off. It shouldn't have been a surprise that others would try to steal him.

But Noah was secure in their relationship. So secure that he had blinders on. He ignored all of the signs. The late nights at work. The reluctance to discuss marriage even though it was now legal here. The mysterious phone calls that he needed to take in another room. The condoms in his gym bag. The forgotten twenty-year anniversary dinner, complete with a beef wellington that totally dried out while sitting in the oven.

Well, Noah didn't exactly ignore the last sign so much. Noah had worked so hard on that dinner, making sure everything was perfect. He had prepared Derek's favorite meal, groomed himself to perfection. After the candlelit dinner, Derek would make love to him. Instead, Derek strolled in at midnight. The ensuing argument was what triggered the announcement that Derek was leaving.

At least Derek had let him stay in the house. He wouldn't have been able to afford the mortgage otherwise, surely not on a public library director's salary.

Noah had no idea how he was supposed to start over, but he was going to have to get on with his life. If Dorothy Zbornak could do it, so could he.

He just needed a new plan.

And he was starting right now with step one.

He picked up the frayed red toothbrush and tossed it. It bounced off the toilet bowl and plopped into the trashcan with a clink.

Copyright © 2014 Rob Colton; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 86
  • Love 11
  • Haha 2
  • Wow 1
  • Sad 5
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

You always start off so simple in the first chapter. Then after that everything speeds up. What a daunting future. To be in a secure or what he thought was a secure relationship then bang everything is gone. But even with the little bit you have described Noah doesn't strike me as a person who gives up. I am really looking forward to this book only problem I foresee is too shirt chapters and too long inbetween chapters. Can't wait.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

People think "love is blind", is just a saying, but it's a fact. I've seen many relationships falter or fail because after so long, you take things for granted, and don't give as much attention to the relationship that you should. Poor Noah had blinders on and didn't even realise it. Great beginning!

  • Like 1
Link to comment

This scene seems real. What's the saying?: 'Love breaks under the baggage of time'

(something like that). I want to see how Noah handles it. He's all alone now and

his Ex has his trophy twink. Time to move on and grow, and it's better done late

than never.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

I've been meaning to read this so I'm glad you just updated. =)

 

This story hits so close to home, just add it some kids, a dog...lol

 

I'm looking forward to reading about Noah's plan. I sure hope it works. And he's only forty-one, that's not bad, he's not old. :) He'll be fine. Hopefully he'll find someone much better than that scumbag Derek.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

This chapter, to me, is a wonderful example of Rob's writing style. It's simple, fleshing out the details about the upcoming story and reading experience; introducing character(s) while leaving enough for further character exploration throughout the novel. I truly enjoy reading the stories crafted by Rob Colton, but I enjoy reading (and rereading) the rhetoric for the sake of enjoying how everything is put together as well.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I prefer reading stories with mature characters - frankly, I'm a little bit bored with the fifteen-year-old coming out angst. So, I am looking forward to reading this story.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

I'm not even going to lie I hated Derek before I knew who he was or what exactly he did

Me : I really hate Derek

Cousin :who's Derek

Me: I don't know yet , but I hate him 

Cousin: *visibly confused but knows not to ask questions*

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 10/26/2018 at 12:02 PM, Will Hawkins said:

I prefer reading stories with mature characters - frankly, I'm a little bit bored with the fifteen-year-old coming out angst. So, I am looking forward to reading this story.

Ditto.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..