' Live-Poets Society ' – A Corner For Poetry

• Site Administrator

I don't know if you've noticed, but some GA folks like to post poems in their blogs.

Our friend and fellow poet, asamvav111, has recently been posting new work on his. Here is a link to Somewhere, but I encourage to stop by, read and leave feedback on his other offerings as well. I recommend them highly :yes:

So do I.  "Somewhere" was amazing.  :)

• Like 3

I don't know if you've noticed, but some GA folks like to post poems in their blogs.

Our friend and fellow poet, asamvav111, has recently been posting new work on his. Here is a link to Somewhere, but I encourage to stop by, read and leave feedback on his other offerings as well. I recommend them highly :yes:

Out of likes, but read it, and loved it. Thanks, AC!

• Like 3

Thanks for pointing this out, I enjoyed it.

• Like 2

Thanks AC.

The first line is often quoted but I think this is the first time I've read all of it. Wonderful but I'd better read it again in the morning - my bed calls :yawn:

• Like 2

Desiderata*

by Max Ehrmann

Go placidly amid the noise and haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence.

As far as possible, without surrender, be on good terms with all persons. Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even to the dull and the ignorant, they too have their story. Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit.

If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself. Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans. Keep interested in your own career, however humble; it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.

Take kindly to the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth. Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune. But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings. Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness.

With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world.

Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.

*things which are desired, sought for, or beneficial

I needed this probably two days ago .. in the midst of a depressive cycle.. especially bad last night and this morning .. usually to me the world outside is poetry ... even if i'm not writing them, i hear it in my head ... but last night this morning the world looked dead  and flat, there were no words and i hated myself for it. 

reading this, after an emergency visit to the shrink and a happy pill, was like releasing a sigh i'd held in all day. gonna put it on my tablet as my wallpaper .. so i can just let it's calm roll over me..

thanks AC

• Like 5

Thank you AC. I am familiar with this as I've read it from time to time, it's oft cited to graduates, but it has been a while since the last time. This is a work timeless in its advice and appropriate at all stages of adulthood.

• Like 2

Desiderata*

by Max Ehrmann

Go placidly amid the noise and haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence.

As far as possible, without surrender, be on good terms with all persons. Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even to the dull and the ignorant, they too have their story. Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit.

If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself. Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans. Keep interested in your own career, however humble; it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.

Exercise caution in your business affairs, for the world is full of trickery. But let this not blind you to what virtue there is; many persons strive for high ideals, and everywhere life is full of heroism. Be yourself. Especially, do not feign affection. Neither be cynical about love, for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment it is perennial as the grass.

Take kindly to the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth. Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune. But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings. Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness.

Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be, and whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul.

I'd forgotten all about this... thanks for posting it, AC...

• Like 3

Desiderata*

by Max Ehrmann

Exercise caution in your business affairs, for the world is full of trickery. But let this not blind you to what virtue there is; many persons strive for high ideals, and everywhere life is full of heroism. Be yourself. Especially, do not feign affection. Neither be cynical about love, for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment it is perennial as the grass.

Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be, and whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul.

I think I need it as a dose on daily basis. I am gonna print it and gonna put in my room... :) Thanks for posting this Ben... :)

• Like 2

'But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings. Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness.'

This was so appropriate this time last year - at work, we were so short staffed and those of us left didn't know whether we had a job or not. Waking up in the middle of the night and worrying about things over which I had no control... Yeah.

• Like 3

Living in the Netherlands, of course I grew up with Dutch literature.

There are many good Dutch writers who never (or hardly ever) got translated into another language, which is a pity, for they deserve a wider audience.

When in highschool I got acquainted with the work of Frederik van Eeden (1860-1932).

He was a psychiatrist and a writer and founded an ethical-communist community Walden, based on the book Walden, a life in the woods (1854) by the American writer Henry David Thoreau. The community existed from 1898 till 1907.

Being young and idealistic, his work made a deep impression on me.

At the end of the 19th century there was a dicussion between Dutch (but probably also other) writers about aestheticism and naturalism. Some said, that when describing a waterlily, you not only had to sing praise of the beauty of the flower, but also had to show the slimy stem and roots and the muddy pond-soil to get the complete picture.

Van Eeden was against this vision and only wanted to show the beauty.

With the distance of time it is very amusing to see how they butchered each other with words in the literary magazins over this issue.

The waterlily seems to have had particular significance for Van Eeden, for he chose the flower as an emblem on the title pages of his books.

Much is written about the meaning of the following poem, which I learned in highschool and always resurfaces in my head when at this time of year I sit at the edge of the pond enjoying the sight of those beautiful flowers. I leave the interpretation to you.

De Waterlelie (1898)

Ik heb de witte water-lelie lief,

daar die zoo blank is en zoo stil haar kroon

ontplooit in 't licht.

Rijzend uit donker-koelen vijvergrond,

heeft zij het licht gevonden en ontsloot

toen blij het gouden hart.

Nu rust zij pijnzend op het watervlak

en wenscht niet meer....

The waterlily

I do love the white water-lily,

because she is so pale and so quiet her crown

unfolds in the light.

Rising up from dark-cool pond soil

she has found the light and then opened up

joyfully the golden heart.

Now she rests musing on the water surface

and wishes no more....

===

The manuscript is kept in the archives of the University of Amsterdam and can be seen here:

http://www.geheugenvannederland.nl/?/nl/collecties/vaneeden/waterlelie

This is great Peter. Brings back a trip to a cottage when I was a kid. Being a kid i remember rowing out with my brother to some water lillies and trying to pull one out .. gave up in the end. So much stronger than they look. Does every poem have a deeper hidden meaning. Not always I don't think.

• Like 2

In beauty may I walk

from the Navajo trans. Jerome K. Rothenberg

In beauty                                                                          may I walk

All day long                                                                      may I walk

Through the returning seasons                                         may I walk

Beautifully will I possess again

Beautifully birds

Beautifully joyful birds

On the trail marked with pollen                                         may I walk

With grasshoppers about my feet                                     may I walk

With beauty                                                                      may I walk

With beauty before me                                                     may I walk

With beauty behind me                                                     may I walk

With beauty above me                                                      may I walk

With beauty all around me                                                may I walk

In old age, wandering on a trail of beauty, lively,               may I walk

In old age, wandering on a trail of beauty, living again,      may I walk

It is finished in beauty

It is finished in beauty

On the theme of finding beauty in everything - a good thing if you can manage it or something to strive for, perhaps. :)

• Like 3

On the theme of finding beauty in everything - a good thing if you can manage it or something to strive for, perhaps. :)

:heart:  no likes ... it is a good thing northie .. i'm still working on six legged things however but i'm there with most other stuff!!

• Like 3

Living in the Netherlands, of course I grew up with Dutch literature.

There are many good Dutch writers who never (or hardly ever) got translated into another language, which is a pity, for they deserve a wider audience.

When in highschool I got acquainted with the work of Frederik van Eeden (1860-1932).

He was a psychiatrist and a writer and founded an ethical-communist community Walden, based on the book Walden, a life in the woods (1854) by the American writer Henry David Thoreau. The community existed from 1898 till 1907.

Being young and idealistic, his work made a deep impression on me.

At the end of the 19th century there was a dicussion between Dutch (but probably also other) writers about aestheticism and naturalism. Some said, that when describing a waterlily, you not only had to sing praise of the beauty of the flower, but also had to show the slimy stem and roots and the muddy pond-soil to get the complete picture.

Van Eeden was against this vision and only wanted to show the beauty.

With the distance of time it is very amusing to see how they butchered each other with words in the literary magazins over this issue.

The waterlily seems to have had particular significance for Van Eeden, for he chose the flower as an emblem on the title pages of his books.

Much is written about the meaning of the following poem, which I learned in highschool and always resurfaces in my head when at this time of year I sit at the edge of the pond enjoying the sight of those beautiful flowers. I leave the interpretation to you.

De Waterlelie (1898)

Ik heb de witte water-lelie lief,

daar die zoo blank is en zoo stil haar kroon

ontplooit in 't licht.

Rijzend uit donker-koelen vijvergrond,

heeft zij het licht gevonden en ontsloot

toen blij het gouden hart.

Nu rust zij pijnzend op het watervlak

en wenscht niet meer....

The waterlily

I do love the white water-lily,

because she is so pale and so quiet her crown

unfolds in the light.

Rising up from dark-cool pond soil

she has found the light and then opened up

joyfully the golden heart.

Now she rests musing on the water surface

and wishes no more....

===

The manuscript is kept in the archives of the University of Amsterdam and can be seen here:

http://www.geheugenvannederland.nl/?/nl/collecties/vaneeden/waterlelie

The great American architect, Louis I. Khan, once said: "A rose wants to be a rose, but a brick wants to be an arch."

That expression stayed with me in my formative years, and now I feel I know what he is saying. Elements of nature are just nature, and pure in their way - like the lily and the muck that birthed it - but things springing from the mind and hands of mankind always strive for a perfection to rival Nature. Thus, we are prone to use natural elements to express what is in our hearts and minds.

Thanks for posting this, Peter. <3  

• Like 2

In beauty may I walk

from the Navajo trans. Jerome K. Rothenberg

In beauty                                                                          may I walk

All day long                                                                      may I walk

Through the returning seasons                                         may I walk

Beautifully will I possess again

Beautifully birds

Beautifully joyful birds

On the trail marked with pollen                                         may I walk

With grasshoppers about my feet                                     may I walk

With beauty                                                                      may I walk

With beauty before me                                                     may I walk

With beauty behind me                                                     may I walk

With beauty above me                                                      may I walk

With beauty all around me                                                may I walk

In old age, wandering on a trail of beauty, lively,               may I walk

In old age, wandering on a trail of beauty, living again,      may I walk

It is finished in beauty

It is finished in beauty

It's beautiful, northie. Thanks for posting it

The nature of poetry...

Yesterday I baked a loaf of bread,

nothing special, just a sandwich loaf.

This morning I sliced it, and it was perfect. 

Perfectly risen, perfectly baked - soft as silky memory.

I got out two conserves, peach and apricot,

and ate it remembering the bread 

Marian and Dolores made when I was a child; 

It was that good. 

These are the moments poetry

was invented to try and capture

forever.    

• Like 5

The nature of poetry...

Yesterday I baked a loaf of bread,

nothing special, just a sandwich loaf.

This morning I sliced it, and it was perfect. 

Perfectly risen, perfectly baked - soft as silky memory.

I got out two conserves, peach and apricot,

and ate it remembering the bread 

Marian and Dolores made when I was a child; 

It was that good. 

These are the moments poetry

was invented to try and capture

forever.    

Baking is poetry, especially when you bake bread if you think about, you gather ingredients,  mix it, let it rise, form, bake it, and devour the finished product and with any luck others will like it too. 

Your poem is wonderful AC, and baking bread is good for the soul. To me, of all the things I cook or bake, bread is the most satisfying. 

• Like 2

Oddly, I heard the same thing on my local PBS this morning. I have forgotten the name of the poet being interviewed but she said people often ask why she writes about mundane ordinary things. Her response was, my life is filled with mundane and ordinary things so that is what I write about.

• Like 3

Baking is poetry, especially when you bake bread if you think about, you gather ingredients,  mix it, let it rise, form, bake it, and devour the finished product and with any luck others will like it too. 

Your poem is wonderful AC, and baking bread is good for the soul. To me, of all the things I cook or bake, bread is the most satisfying.

Again, the ordinary, creating sustance from simplicity it's what gives meaning to life.

• Like 1

Oddly, I heard the same thing on my local PBS this morning. I have forgotten the name of the poet being interviewed but she said people often ask why she writes about mundane ordinary things. Her response was, my life is filled with mundane and ordinary things so that is what I write about.

:heart: no likes again!!!  I like that very much .. not everything is lofty and precious. Why wouldn't you write about what you see and feel? I can really only write about what i know and feel or what i can google!!  

Edited by Mikiesboy
  • Like 4