' Live-Poets Society ' – A Corner For Poetry

Thomas Hardy Channel firing

http://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems-and-poets/poems/detail/46544

I hadn't read any of Hardy's poetry before I came across this. This is a poem of WW1 but it is not poetry of the battlefield, more a response from those left behind in 'Blighty'.

The Hardy poem is very rich in imagery. It reminds me a bit of the work of the later British poet (one introduced to me by our own dear J.HunterDunn – Peter), John Betjeman. Perhaps it would be wrong to speak of a naïve approach, or school, but there does seem to be an applied 'innocence' to the activity Hardy is describing. In that regard, it also seems like Frost to me. Perhaps I'm playing connect the dot, but I do feel those connections.

Interestingly enough, I do not feel connections between this Hardy poem and the work by many same-sex loving poets of World War 1, like Sassoon, Wilfred Owen – but maybe more like the pre-war work of Rupert Brooke.

Anyway, it's an accomplished poem, but I can't say I feel an emotional hook to it, though I do like the concluding lines a great deal.

Thanks for posting this, northie, and for making me think :)

Edited by AC Benus
  • Like 3

As AC mentioned my favourite poet (at one point Poet Laureate of the UK), here is a link to a poem from which I stole my nickname as a tribute.

The poem is read by Sir Betjeman himself. I have a version on vinyl where he reads it set to music, but couldn't find that one online unfortunately.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zh5YmyH3EGI

• Like 3

You don't know how much I appreciate the favorite poetry that all of you share. My education was lacking in this regard and what I knew I didn't care for. Now I have this resource not only for the experience of the poetry written and shared by the group but also a wider range of works than I have seen or heard before. Thank you for sharing this part of yourselves with me. Namaste.

• Like 5

I don't have a favorite poet, but I love Joachim Ringelnatz and especially Heinrich Heine. Here is an example of Heine's art. I copied this from wikipedia :

Allnächtlich im Traume seh ich dich,

Und sehe dich freundlich grüßen,

Und lautaufweinend stürz ich mich

Zu deinen süßen Füßen .

Du siehst mich an wehmütiglich,

Und schüttelst das blonde Köpfchen;

Aus deinen Augen schleichen sich

Die Perlentränentröpfchen.

Du sagst mir heimlich ein leises Wort,

Und gibst mir den Strauß von Zypressen.

Ich wache auf, und der Strauß ist fort,

Und das Wort hab ich vergessen.

(non-literal translation in verse by Hal Draper:)

Nightly I see you in dreams-you speak,

With kindliness sincerest,

I throw myself, weeping aloud and weak

At your sweet feet, my dearest.

You look at me with wistful woe,

And shake your golden curls;

And stealing from your eyes there flow

The teardrops like to pearls.

You breathe in my ear a secret word,

A garland of cypress for token.

I wake; it is gone; the dream is blurred,

And forgotten the word that was spoken.

I can see why you might like this:  melancholy, love, longing, wonderful imagery...it's all there...thanksgiving for sharing this!

• Like 3

I don't have a favorite poet, but I love Joachim Ringelnatz and especially Heinrich Heine. Here is an example of Heine's art. I copied this from wikipedia :

Allnächtlich im Traume seh ich dich,

Und sehe dich freundlich grüßen,

Und lautaufweinend stürz ich mich

Zu deinen süßen Füßen .

Du siehst mich an wehmütiglich,

Und schüttelst das blonde Köpfchen;

Aus deinen Augen schleichen sich

Die Perlentränentröpfchen.

Du sagst mir heimlich ein leises Wort,

Und gibst mir den Strauß von Zypressen.

Ich wache auf, und der Strauß ist fort,

Und das Wort hab ich vergessen.

(non-literal translation in verse by Hal Draper:)

Nightly I see you in dreams-you speak,

With kindliness sincerest,

I throw myself, weeping aloud and weak

At your sweet feet, my dearest.

You look at me with wistful woe,

And shake your golden curls;

And stealing from your eyes there flow

The teardrops like to pearls.

You breathe in my ear a secret word,

A garland of cypress for token.

I wake; it is gone; the dream is blurred,

And forgotten the word that was spoken.

That is a very impressive Wiki entry on the poet! Love this quote about him: "He possessed that divine malice without which I cannot imagine perfection... " Friedrich Nietzsche

• Like 2

The Hardy poem is very rich in imagery. It reminds me a bit of the work of the later British poet (one introduced to me by our own dear JhunterDunn – Peter), John Betjeman. Perhaps it would be wrong to speak of a naïve approach, or school, but there does seem to be an applied 'innocence' to the activity Hardy is describing. In that regard, it also seems like Frost to me. Perhaps I'm playing connect the dot, but I do feel those connections.

Interestingly enough, I do not feel connections between this Hardy poem and the work by many same-sex loving poets of World War 1, like Sassoon, Wilfred Owen – but maybe more like the pre-war work of Rupert Brooke.

Anyway, it's an accomplished poem, but I can't say I feel an emotional hook to it, though I do like the concluding lines a great deal.

Thanks for posting this, northie, and for making me think :)

Well, the Hardy was offered as a complete contrast to the King so it's not surprising that one appeals over the other. Hardy was writing as an old man, firmly rooted in the Victorian age; the poets of WW1 had lived most of their lives in the C20 and the horror, bitterness, and grief of that conflict forced them to find new ways of expressing their feelings. I have a special place in my soul for their verse.

Just before I revert to my role as observer of this thread, I will leave you with one last poem. If any of you are cat lovers or cat observers, think about giving this a go:

Christopher Smart  For I will consider my cat, Jeoffrey

https://www.poets.org/poetsorg/poem/jubilate-agno-fragment-b-i-will-consider-my-cat-jeoffry

(you will need to scroll down, and consider having a quick look at the poet's biography - it gives some context).

And, thanks for having me.  :)

• Like 2
Christopher Smart  For I will consider my cat, Jeoffrey

https://www.poets.org/poetsorg/poem/jubilate-agno-fragment-b-i-will-consider-my-cat-jeoffry

Enthralling! I was reading and thinking, 'OMG, 18th century free verse...? So, Whitman was not the first,' and then I saw the poem was not published until the 1950s. 

It's intriguing to think if the verse is meant to be allegory or not - that we are God's cats here on Earth (naturally, the English being the best ;) ), but knowing the poet's mental health issues pulls me back to simply thinking Smart thought his cat was worshiping God in his own way.

Fascinating. Thanks!    

• Like 1

Enthralling! I was reading and thinking, 'OMG, 18th century free verse...? So, Whitman was not the first,' and then I saw the poem was not published until the 1950s. 

It's intriguing to think if the verse is meant to be allegory or not - that we are God's cats here on Earth (naturally, the English being the best ;) ), but knowing the poet's mental health issues pulls me back to simply thinking Smart thought his cat was worshiping God in his own way.

Fascinating. Thanks!    

I first knew it from Britten's choral setting in Rejoice in the lamb. It is C18 free verse - just, nobody knew about it ...  :)

• Like 1

I am struck by both Northie's and AC's links/favorites.  I'd seen neither of these, and both are delights to the senses, to the ears, to the soul. I am partial to cats, and understand at first hand all that Smart so beautifully details. And I have blessed, and have been. Blessed in feline devotion in my day, despite a tremendous allergy.  As for Miss Joan Hunter Dunn, her story reminds me of nothing so much as AA Milne, and some of the poems my father recited for us as children at bedtime. Before I ever re-read or comprehended that poem, I first heard my father's voice. 

I offer both Northie and AC my abundant thanks.

• Like 4

It's a great poem, Tim. Left you a review

Thank you AC .. I'm outta likes, but I will be back!!!

I've written another short poem for the July 1, 100th anniversary of the Battle of The Somme.  inspired by the ceremony at the Thiepval Memorial services on July 1. 

• Like 3

New poem inspired by Cynus' blog about the Orlando/Pulse 49: American Tragedy

And it's awesome. Everyone should read it. 

Thank you AC .. I'm outta likes, but I will be back!!!

I've written another short poem for the July 1, 100th anniversary of the Battle of The Somme.  inspired by the ceremony at the Thiepval Memorial services on July 1. 

This is another fantastic addition to Tim's collection. Again, another must-read.

• Like 4

Posted two new sonnets, this time in a form I've not tried before. You can find them here...  https://www.gayauthors.org/story/parker-owens/occasionalpoetry/32

I liked them Parker, they were both very good.. 

...I'm a bit bummed that my '8 Ball' sonnet has not garnered more comments... nor has the lovely Leander got many kisses.... (hint hint) 

Hint taken, geez... Lol.... Sometimes I miss the poem postings and things pile up quickly around here..  I'll check them out. 

• Like 2

...I'm a bit bummed that my '8 Ball' sonnet has not garnered more comments... nor has the lovely Leander got many kisses.... (hint hint) 

Leander is a gem, and deserves every kiss he gets....perhaps it is time for summer 'slows.....'

• Like 3

I will get there .. I've read them and enjoyed them but i've just been too under the weather to write what i want to say.. but they are both amazing 

Edited by Mikiesboy
  • Like 3

Leander is a gem, and deserves every kiss he gets....perhaps it is time for summer 'slows.....'

Thanks, Parker - You're a peach!

Hint taken, geez... Lol.... Sometimes I miss the poem postings and things pile up quickly around here..  I'll check them out. 

Thanks for your review, you lovely sweetheart, you! Are you hinting 'amplitude' is above your pay grade...? Not buying that for a sec ;) Kisses. And the poem announcements in the Story Updates are treated differently and deleted right away. That's why I sometimes post reminders here, both for others' works (and mine on rare occasions). Wish they'd tread the poem listings the same way as stories      

I will get there .. I've read them and enjoyed them but i've just been too under the weather to write what i want to say.. but they are both amazing 

I know, poor Tim, you've been ill; you can take all the time you need - first priority is to let Mike take care you and get well :)

Edited by AC Benus
  • Like 2

(sorry I've been absent all. lots going on right now...ugh. I'll be back soon - love you, my dear GA poets. Proud as punch to see how strong a contingent we are in the Love is Love anthology. You're all rock stars :) )

• Like 2