why 52 % of the members don't post

And do you guys really look for grammar and spelling? *gulps*

No. Yes. Damn! Problem is, I do some editing for a few authors, and... well, once an editor you get into a habit you can't break. Bother!

Colin B)

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And do you guys really look for grammar and spelling? *gulps* I think I should go back to lurkership.

That's not silly at all :) I often go back over my post and edit it to fix mistakes.... It's amazing how often I have to do it. And that's just spelling mistakes. I don't even attempt to fix grammatical errors because I know I don't know enough to get them right. I rely heavily on my editors to get my grammar right in my stories.

Graeme :)

I know, I do worry very much about my grammar, for my spelling, my browser has a good spell check. But still, I when I write I do think about if my post make sense or not. Sometimes I'll take long enough to write what I want to say that by the time I do post, well I've been beaten to it, and I have to edit my post for it not to look stupid.

As for my story, yes, it's not that much, but my editor does make a lot of grammar and syntax corrections.

for the question by itself, I do post mainly to talk about the stories, I know that I, as an author, love to get comment about my stories as much as I like to discuss about them. Also I like very much the talking with the author about stories I like. That's how I got into posting. Now it's also cause I like to take part to the discussion .

I visited the site for a few months as a guest before signing up. I've had a blast here, and love this place.

I very much like the feel of community here, and I love to joke around. I can't imagine why people would register and then never post, because to me, they are missing out.

To any non-posters reading this, join in, it's great fun. :)

• Site Administrator
No. Yes. Damn! Problem is, I do some editing for a few authors, and... well, once an editor you get into a habit you can't break. Bother!

Same here. I'm the habit of trying to write "properly" (I'm lucky my editors don't visit here regularly, or they'll be rolling on the floor laughing), and if I see a mistake in a post I've made, I just have to fix it....

I visited the site for a few months as a guest before signing up. I've had a blast here, and love this place.

I very much like the feel of community here, and I love to joke around. I can't imagine why people would register and then never post, because to me, they are missing out.

To any non-posters reading this, join in, it's great fun. :)

I agree with CJ. Considering I'm not gay, not male, and not an author, I should feel like the odd ma...uh...woman out. But I've always been very comfortable here. So all you lurkers should just close your eyes and jump. We'll catch you.

Sharon

I agree with CJ. Considering I'm not gay, not male, and not an author, I should feel like the odd ma...uh...woman out. But I've always been very comfortable here. So all you lurkers should just close your eyes and jump. We'll catch you.

Sharon

We embrace diversity, Sharon. :hug: I happen to be <gasp> a bisexual.

I guess I almost missed the point of this thread. Why to post?

Well, I post for two main reasons: To seek help and to help others. The latter not so much, but I do try.

And do you guys really look for grammar and spelling? *gulps* I think I should go back to lurkership.

I admit, I do myself look for basic spelling and grammar. I do not claim to be an expert, but wen ppl type liek this wit no caps or punctuation it relly maks me mad dosnt it u

But that's great, Tarin! As an author, I would love to hear what the readers think, even if it's something different.

Ieshwar

Well, I would like to share my thoughts on some stories, and now that I'm more comfortable here I might do that - if I can find time to read some stories! I've fallen so far behind.

That's not silly at all :) I often go back over my post and edit it to fix mistakes.... It's amazing how often I have to do it. And that's just spelling mistakes. I don't even attempt to fix grammatical errors because I know I don't know enough to get them right. I rely heavily on my editors to get my grammar right in my stories.

Editors are wonderful, yes? I think I'd be pretty decent at being an editor, well, at least a beta-reader. If I had time.

We all had to start somewhere :) I only started a few years ago and the initial reaction was favourable enough that I kept on writing. You'll never know if you don't give it a go. My recommendation, if you're unsure, is to start with an anthology entry. Your story will go up at the same time as a number of others, so there's the support of a whole bunch of people posting at the same time. Don't try to compare them, just ask in the feedback thread any questions you've got.

Well, I don't think that I write terribly. I do not think I'll ever have a following quite like Dom's or some of the other authors, but if I could force myself to rite I think I could do okay. What I write is good, but it is never a whole story.

Er... I'm not involved in the (offline) gay community. I've never had a boyfriend. I've never asked a guy out on a date (so you're one up on me there :D ).

I...erm...I'm actually planning on going to a gay nightclub soon. But I need to buy something to wear! Maybe then I'll be two up on you ;) .

Just because you've never had personal experience with something, you can still contribute with what you know, or what you think, or even just your reactions to other people's comments. For example, if someone said something about relationships that you feel isn't right, then say so. Or you can use my trick of phrasing it as a question, a request for clarification. :)

While this is true, part of me doesn't let me talk about things I'm not sure about. I guess I'm afraid of being wrong. I do try to learn through the discussions, but I feel akward posting. Maybe I'll give it a try.

Thanks for your great post, Tarin :) I recognised what you were saying because I've gone through all of it myself (apart from the asking a guy out on a date part :P ). What I've been trying to say is that you're not alone, and that you don't need to worry too much. You've already shown yourself to be intelligent and sensible -- you'll do fine ;)

Graeme :)

Aw, well shucks!

When I first came across GA, I was just reading the stories. Then I tried to make a comment on a story and found out you had to be a member to do that. So, I decided not to make a comment. (I admit it, I'm shy.) But, I kept reading and wanting to comment because DomLuka and LittleBuddhaTW are great writers and I wanted to show my appreciation for their work.

So, I had to join.

Things kind of snowballed (okay, a slow snowball rolling down a slope that is practically level) and I started posting stories. Now, as a Hosted Author, I have an obligation to step in now and then and prove I am a part of this community. Unfortunately, my regular schedule does not allow more than a few hours a day to step in and ongoing conversations are almost impossible.

I feel, though, that it is important to participate, but considering the number of people who regularly participate in their regular communities by voting or going to council meetings, it's not surprising 52% don't post. I'm surprised there aren't more.

There is a risk to posting. You might get noticed. If you're really shy or if you have to be here surreptitiously, getting noticed might be the last thing you want.

To be a part of the community, though, you have to do a few posts now and then.

When I first came across GA, I was just reading the stories. Then I tried to make a comment on a story and found out you had to be a member to do that. So, I decided not to make a comment. (I admit it, I'm shy.) But, I kept reading and wanting to comment because DomLuka and LittleBuddhaTW are great writers and I wanted to show my appreciation for their work.

So, I had to join.

Things kind of snowballed (okay, a slow snowball rolling down a slope that is practically level) and I started posting stories. Now, as a Hosted Author, I have an obligation to step in now and then and prove I am a part of this community. Unfortunately, my regular schedule does not allow more than a few hours a day to step in and ongoing conversations are almost impossible.

I feel, though, that it is important to participate, but considering the number of people who regularly participate in their regular communities by voting or going to council meetings, it's not surprising 52% don't post. I'm surprised there aren't more.

There is a risk to posting. You might get noticed. If you're really shy or if you have to be here surreptitiously, getting noticed might be the last thing you want.

To be a part of the community, though, you have to do a few posts now and then.

I did not start posting regularly until recently. I am shy as well. Now, I'm on the verge of a measly 150 posts, and some have already suggested that I am a post w****. :P

:off: I have seen some people post the word. Can we get into trouble for using it? I don't find the word offensive unless someone is talking about my mother.

I did not start posting regularly until recently. I am shy as well. Now, I'm on the verge of a measly 150 posts, and some have already suggested that I am a post w****. :P

:off: I have seen some people post the word. Can we get into trouble for using it? I don't find the word offensive unless someone is talking about my mother.

Post-whore is hardly worthy of being censored. Now whether or not your mother is another type of whore, I can't say, but post-whoring is commonplace on the boards. As is use of the word whore. Most of our post-whores are in utter denial about it, but we love them anyway. Vic is campaigning to save their souls and stop post count abuse, all for the poor, disillusioned post whores.

Post-whore is hardly worthy of being censored. Now whether or not your mother is another type of whore, I can't say, but post-whoring is commonplace on the boards. As is use of the word whore. Most of our post-whores are in utter denial about it, but we love them anyway. Vic is campaigning to save their souls and stop post count abuse, all for the poor, disillusioned post whores.

I tend to use the term "postaholic" when referring to mega-posters such as Graeme or AFriendlyFace, or for that matter anyone with over a few hundred. :)

Perhaps, I am a post-whore, but I'm far from being the most prolific post whore. <See below>

I tend to use the term "postaholic" when referring to mega-posters such as Graeme or AFriendlyFace, or for that matter anyone with over a few hundred. :)

Hmmmm... who has the most posts on GA with 5,336 and counting?

Drum roll, please....

Click here.

I'm on Page 6 of the list. :P

I did not start posting regularly until about two month after I started posting. Reason? Afraid of being caught surfing an obviously gay site.

EDIT: I still have to be very careful, even now. :(

I did not start posting regularly until about two month after I started posting. Reason? Afraid of being caught surfing an obviously gay site.

EDIT: I still have to be very careful, even now. :(

Having you thought about coming out to your parents. I was outed to my accidently a few years ago. She didn't like it, but she didn't shun me. I realize there are cultural differences, but I doubt you would be stoned to death or excommunicated from your family. ;)

• Site Administrator

I understand. I didn't even join sites initially. I didn't join GA until I was ready to contribute, which is why there's no gap between when I joined and when I started to post. I had been made aware of GA two or three years earlier, when one of my stories was being discussed, but I was busy at the time just coping with the sites I was already involved with.

My, how things have changed... 0:)

Most of our post-whores are in utter denial about it, but we love them anyway. Vic is campaigning to save their souls and stop post count abuse, all for the poor, disillusioned post whores.

I will point out that NaperVic has the second highest post count of any member who doesn't have some sort of position at GA. All of the higher posters are either Admins, Moderators or a Hosted Author, apart from BeaStKid.

I personally prefer "enthusiastic contributer", but I don't mind being called postaholic or a post-whore. I don't consider either term to be completely accurate, so I don't take them to heart. Postaholic implies an addiction (and I'm not addicted to GA -- I just like the place) and post-whore implies a certain mercenary attitude that's also missing.

Perhaps, I am a post-whore, but I'm far from being the most prolific post whore. <See below>

Hmmmm... who has the most posts on GA with 5,336 and counting?

Drum roll, please....

Click here.

I'm on Page 6 of the list. :P

ACK! I'm number 7!!! :blink: :wacko:

All of the higher posters are either Admins, Moderators or a Hosted Author, apart from BeaStKid.

Double ACK!! :blink: :wacko: :blink: :wacko:

I personally prefer "enthusiastic contributer", but I don't mind being called postaholic or a post-whore. I don't consider either term to be completely accurate, so I don't take them to heart. Postaholic implies an addiction (and I'm not addicted to GA -- I just like the place) and post-whore implies a certain mercenary attitude that's also missing.

Same here... I prefer the word 'prolific poster' to those words... :) It is just that I have a lot to say... :P

Most of our post-whores are in utter denial about it, but we love them anyway. Vic is campaigning to save their souls and stop post count abuse, all for the poor, disillusioned post whores.

I will point out that NaperVic has the second highest post count of any member who doesn't have some sort of position at GA. All of the higher posters are either Admins, Moderators or a Hosted Author, apart from BeaStKid.

:sheep:

I will point out that NaperVic at one point was a GAC, then a Moderator, thus poo poo-ing your argument.

But in reality a more valuable statistic is the number of posts per day (ppd):

CJ - 8 ppd

Graeme - 7 ppd

Kevin & Beast - 4 ppd

----------------------

Myr, Joe, NJ, Vic - 2 ppd

Drew & DK - 1 ppd

Despite these numbers, IMHO it's not the number of posts one makes or does not make, but the quality of the posts.

If one were to equate poster quality to car brands, some of us are Toyota's & Subaru's, and others are Yugos :P

Take Care

Edited by NaperVic
:sheep:

I will point out that NaperVic at one point was a GAC, then a Moderator, thus poo poo-ing your argument.

But in reality a more valuable statistic is the number of posts per day (ppd):

CJ - 8 ppd

Graeme - 7 ppd

Kevin & Beast - 4 ppd

----------------------

Myr, Joe, NJ, Vic - 2 ppd

Drew & DK - 1 ppd

Despite these numbers, IMHO it's not the number of posts one makes or does not make, but the quality of the posts.

If one were to equate posters to car brands, some of us are Toyota's & Subaru's, and others are Yugos :P

Take Care

• Site Administrator

:D And I've only been a moderator for a week, but I wasn't going to mention that :P

You've got lots of people who agree with you there :)

I always wonder if what i think is worth posting.. and if i think too long about it i dont post (so this means i am not thinking much today because it is my 3rd posting already ;-)). One thing that usually makes me post (or send a personal message or email, which happens more often than posting) is if i really liked a story or if a story was touching me in some way.

(now i will quickly click on "Add Reply" before i delete it again :-p)

oh again the quality argument, where have I heard that :DB) that's just the excuse you don't have the best number in stats but still you're good at what you do.. LOL

:D And I've only been a moderator for a week, but I wasn't going to mention that :P

oh, now that you mention, I realize that title of yours, it will give you a reason to be posting as much

sacha