why 52 % of the members don't post

Hi everybody,

I just made a statistic about the participating in forums (see topic about 100’000 posts) and found that about 52 % of the registered members don’t post !

Something should be done to increase the participation, first to investigate why you participate. So this poll (allows users to select more than one choice).

Any suggestion to get more members to participate ?

:worship: And a delayed "Happy New Year" to all :worship:

Edited by old bob
  • Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Site Administrator

I remember a few years ago there was a thread asking the question about why there were so many guests and so many members that didn't post.

I almost joined at that time, just to say that I hadn't joined because I wasn't ready to contribute. My view was that if I became a member, I should be involved.

On the other hand, there was another site I joined because there was a story in a members only section that I wanted to read. After reading the story, I then tentatively started to get involved.

Different people have different motivations to become members. Some do it to become involved. Some do it to ask a question, and may not stay after the question has been answered. Others do it because they want to express that they like the site, without actually posting anything.

Well, I voted for all except for Number 5.... :)

Yeah, and CJ is the one in denial :P

I voted for six. I don't generally post unless I feel the need to say something about a particular topic. I guess number two applies to a certain extent, but mostly six.

Menzo

Before i joined as a member, i lurked as a guest for months, and after reading a few stories i found through GA, i decided to join, as it seemed a lovely community :) i mainly only post on topics that i feel i need to comment on, or give my opinion... but as I don't read all that regularly, I've not often got anything to say about stories (I get all emotional reading most of them, and my boyfriend hates it) :(:unsure:

Different people have different motivations to become members. Some do it to become involved. Some do it to ask a question, and may not stay after the question has been answered. Others do it because they want to express that they like the site, without actually posting anything.

Exactly. I don't necessarily think that we need members to post just for the sake of posting.

GA is primarily a story site. I really enjoy the discussions about stories, chapters, and authors that I'm following. All the other stuff is fluff. Fluff that's funny at times? yes. But still fluff.

Motivating, encouraging, and supporting authors are the best things that we as members can do to increase overall participation. :D

I have an author that I'm particularly fond of. When <fill in fav author> is posting, I love coming to GA because I know that I'll find comrads that want to discuss his/her latest. I have all this stuff in my head that I can't share with anyone in real life (they won't understand) and know that there are others like me at GA where we can commiserate. :)

Take Care®,

Vic

Hum... maybe it's because there is a very vocal .2% that annoy the piss out of an easily-annoyed 10%, especially "noobs" who "vomit their spew" in every thread without really saying anything of substance... or maybe it's because there is a tight-knit 10% which appears to be clickish, although they are not really, but to the noob it really seems this way (personally experienced on the Dom Luka board)... or maybe they are really really shy or afraid of being "caught" on a prominantly gay forum which means it's ok to look but not to post (although that would usually pertain only to guests not those who register)

maybe, just maybe, someone needs to send everyone with a 0 post count and a joined date in 2006 or earlier an email to (a) see if that email is still valid, and ( B) let them know their account will be terminated if they do nothing.

Hum... maybe it's because there is a very vocal .2% that annoy the piss out of an easily-annoyed 10%, especially "noobs" who "vomit their spew" in every thread without really saying anything of substance... or maybe it's because there is a tight-knit 10% which appears to be clickish, although they are not really, but to the noob it really seems this way (personally experienced on the Dom Luka board)... or maybe they are really really shy or afraid of being "caught" on a prominantly gay forum which means it's ok to look but not to post (although that would usually pertain only to guests not those who register)

maybe, just maybe, someone needs to send everyone with a 0 post count and a joined date in 2006 or earlier an email to (a) see if that email is still valid, and ( B) let them know their account will be terminated if they do nothing.

In one of the forums I was a member at (not a story site) they removed my id as I was inactive for almost 6 months!! :o

• Site Administrator
GA is primarily a story site. I really enjoy the discussions about stories, chapters, and authors that I'm following. All the other stuff is fluff. Fluff that's funny at times? yes. But still fluff.

Motivating, encouraging, and supporting authors are the best things that we as members can do to increase overall participation. :D

Something I said over a year ago, soon after I joined when a similar discussion was taking place:

We are a group of like-minded people who support each other and this place allows us to relax and be ourselves. That doesn't mean that there aren't disagreements and fights, but overall it's a place that encourages -- and that's the core of any community.

The stories may be the body, but the forums are the heart and the members the soul of GA.

I'm not normally that poetic, but I have my moments :D

My opinion hasn't changed since that time. GA is not just the stories. It's not just the forums. It's all three parts working together. As for the members, some members are quiet and some are noisy -- just like in any community. In real life, I tend to be one of the shy, quiet ones, until I get comfortable, and then I'm happy to speak up.

Er... Based on my number of posts, I think I'm comfortable here at GA...

Very true. There are a lot of reasons why someone can feel unsure about posting, ranging from intimidation through to lack of confidence. As a normally shy person (in real life), I find it very hard to break into established groups. I'm not the sort of person who can easily go and up chat with a stranger. However, I'm often very happy just sitting at the edge of a group and listening without participating. I suspect a percentage of lurkers here are doing that for the same reason.

As for gay forums, I wouldn't even LOOK at a gay forum while I was deeply closeted. I was afraid that there would be something that allow people track me down, just by looking. It was only when I starting to relax and accept myself, that I finally started to lurk at some forums, and much later before I joined any.

I think that some people may be intimidated by the number of authors, some of them quite well known, that actually post here.

It takes a good bit of confidence to post your thoughts in the midst of Comicality, Graeme, Dom Luka, et al with out being afraid of appearing dumb.

That's a good idea. I had only posted once until about a week ago. Now, I'm close to 70 posts. That number is pathetic compared to some, but at least some people are warming up to me. :P

Hmm, ok, I guess I might have some valuable input in this thread, since I'm a fairly new member and I'm feeling kind of akward trying to become involved.

...or maybe it's because there is a tight-knit 10% which appears to be clickish, although they are not really, but to the noob it really seems this way (personally experienced on the Dom Luka board)...

Yes, the clic thing really gets to me. Although this is probably from personal experiences on another forum. The inside jokes kind of overwhelm on many forums - its not an issue here though, but it is part of the whole clic system.

or maybe they are really really shy or afraid of being "caught" on a prominantly gay forum which means it's ok to look but not to post (although that would usually pertain only to guests not those who register)

Well, I am not afraid of being caught on a

I find #4 most important. Mostly when it's my own stories (not that they're many). Or the anthologies.

#7 is true too. I mean, I was just having porblems logging in a few days ago and believe me, it was shit. I felt like standing outside a house and looking at the members inside though window panes! :(

And come on, #1 is true too. Don't we all enjoy calling CJ "Queen of The Evilest Cliffhangers" or The Postwhore! :P

I also worry about how I type. Silly, I know, but on a forum for storiesand authors it unnerves me. I constantly worry I will make a silly gramatical error and that it will be a permanant mark against me in the eyes of authors and editors. No matter how silly I know this is, it still haunts the back of my mind.

And do you guys really look for grammar and spelling? *gulps* I think I should go back to lurkership.

In the author forums - when I read a story I usually don't see what others do. It is just something about my nature and how I read. So I'd end up disagreeing with an author him/herself eventually. That just sounds wrong to me.

But that's great, Tarin! As an author, I would love to hear what the readers think, even if it's something different.

Ieshwar

• Site Administrator
Hmm, ok, I guess I might have some valuable input in this thread, since I'm a fairly new member and I'm feeling kind of akward trying to become involved.

I'll start by saying you've provided great input in the thread. Don't be afraid to do so more often :) Thank you for what you've said.

This is also very true. Even though I often have decent thoughts, trying to disagree (or even agree - just address) with someone that is almost legendary is, to say the least, terrifying (see above - shy).

Comicality and Dom Luka rarely post, and when they do I don't think they've ever had a problem with someone disagreeing with them. If you can put forward a reason for disagreeing, you'll find people will listen :) I know I don't mind people disagreeing with me. That's one of the ways I learn -- finding out WHY they disagree with me. Sometime I've even changed my mind because they pointed out something I hadn't considered.

I also worry about how I type. Silly, I know, but on a forum for storiesand authors it unnerves me. I constantly worry I will make a silly gramatical error and that it will be a permanant mark against me in the eyes of authors and editors. No matter how silly I know this is, it still haunts the back of my mind.

That's not silly at all :) I often go back over my post and edit it to fix mistakes.... It's amazing how often I have to do it. And that's just spelling mistakes. I don't even attempt to fix grammatical errors because I know I don't know enough to get them right. I rely heavily on my editors to get my grammar right in my stories.

Oh, and the whole writing part of the forum confuses me. I do write, but when I joined I had not planned on sharing any of my writing. Now I think I may want to, or maybe be an editor - but I hav'n't a clue how to go about most of that stuff, and I get nervous to ask or do if I know how (see above - legendary).

We all had to start somewhere :) I only started a few years ago and the initial reaction was favourable enough that I kept on writing. You'll never know if you don't give it a go. My recommendation, if you're unsure, is to start with an anthology entry. Your story will go up at the same time as a number of others, so there's the support of a whole bunch of people posting at the same time. Don't try to compare them, just ask in the feedback thread any questions you've got.

In the author forums - when I read a story I usually don't see what others do. It is just something about my nature and how I read. So I'd end up disagreeing with an author him/herself eventually. That just sounds wrong to me.

It depends on the author. Most will admit that others see things in the stories that they didn't see themselves. I know that often happens with my stories :)

Though most of all I think it is a general lack of knolwedge. I'm not involved in the gay community, I've never had a boyfriend, I hadn't even asked a guy on a date until a few weeks ago.

Er... I'm not involved in the (offline) gay community. I've never had a boyfriend. I've never asked a guy out on a date (so you're one up on me there :D ).

Just because you've never had personal experience with something, you can still contribute with what you know, or what you think, or even just your reactions to other people's comments. For example, if someone said something about relationships that you feel isn't right, then say so. Or you can use my trick of phrasing it as a question, a request for clarification. :)

Thanks for your great post, Tarin :) I recognised what you were saying because I've gone through all of it myself (apart from the asking a guy out on a date part :P ). What I've been trying to say is that you're not alone, and that you don't need to worry too much. You've already shown yourself to be intelligent and sensible -- you'll do fine ;)

Graeme :)

Edited by Graeme
And yes, I've edited this post because I made a typo...
I think that some people may be intimidated by the number of authors, some of them quite well known, that actually post here.

It takes a good bit of confidence to post your thoughts in the midst of Comicality, Graeme, Dom Luka, et al with out being afraid of appearing dumb.

That is so true... When I first posted my story, I was really scared about how people would take it. I was afraid that with so many great authors already here, I'll just be another small fish... I stil feel that sometimes, but I've grown to overlook it. :)

Yes, the clic thing really gets to me. Although this is probably from personal experiences on another forum. The inside jokes kind of overwhelm on many forums - its not an issue here though, but it is part of the whole clic system.

Talk about that one!!!

When i first started out on this forum (active participation), I was always confused. There was a Kevin whom I couldn't place until I got to know his screen name, there were two Steve's whom I had to place with their usernames and then the infamous goat!!

There are so many inside jokes, so many taunts that I am still not familiar with. I was afraid of calling CJ 'goat' as I felt that it may offend him... but then when I got to know him, it became second nature to call him so... I never thought that I'll be bantering around with Talonrider (Jan). He was, after all, my editor and is so much more elder to me. But I got comfy with him as well.

What I'm trying to say is, with participation, one gets to know the inside jokes. He/She also gets comfortable posting their thoughts and lose some of their inhibitions. Like Graeme said, it is all about being relaxed and that comes when you talk to people, join in on their conversations.

Even in real life, if a person keeps to himself when in a group, he'll never penetrate into its core. Same is the case here. I can proudly say that I have achieved that, to an extent. Now it's up to the new membership to join us in that core group.... We'll always welcome y'all with open arms... :hug:

BeaStKid with his two cents...

• Site Moderator

I think we all start out cautiously when we join a forum. We're all afraid of making mistakes, even in spelling. I think most sites now include spell check in their software as a misspelled will appear with a red line under it. Even I make mistakes.

In time, you learn who you can kid around with.

When it comes to authors, that can be interesting. One author that I write to can be rough sometimes. I learned over time from his replies, and comments at another site, it's just his nature. For another author, I disagreed with him on something and we've had many a good discussion since about his story.

I think we all start out cautiously when we join a forum. We're all afraid of making mistakes, even in spelling. I think most sites now include spell check in their software as a misspelled will appear with a red line under it. Even I make mistakes.

In time, you learn who you can kid around with.

When it comes to authors, that can be interesting. One author that I write to can be rough sometimes. I learned over time from his replies, and comments at another site, it's just his nature. For another author, I disagreed with him on something and we've had many a good discussion since about his story.

I cannot imagine why anyone would be so hateful to you. Your suggestions are illuminating as far as I'm concerned. :worship:

• Site Moderator
I cannot imagine why anyone would be so hateful to you. Your suggestions are illuminating as far as I'm concerned. :worship:

I struck a friendship with that particular author. Because of our online chats and emails, he's challenged me to go back and find the answers to some questions. His story, The Scrolls of Icaria, is my favorite sci/fan story.

Jan

I struck a friendship with that particular author. Because of our online chats and emails, he's challenged me to go back and find the answers to some questions. His story, The Scrolls of Icaria, is my favorite sci/fan story.

Jan

That story sounds interesting. Where can I find it?