[Duncan Ryder] How the Light Gets In

I love the bitter sweet. :wub: Luc's and Daniel's story was exactly that.

I finally made a connection to Luc in this chapter. :D I had been wondering if that would ever happen. Of course, that means I don't want to see him hurt. :(

Scott must have a thing for "vulnerable" men. :P When he was young, I'm sure that he brought home stray dogs all the time. Frankly, the world desparately needs people like Scott.

Superb work, Duncan. :worship::worship:

Conner

Frankly, the world desparately needs people like Scott.

Agreed, but it'd probably best for Luc, imo if he Scott kept his distance.

My heart is breaking for poor Luc right now. I like that he asked himself whether or not he'd really ever thought of Scott any other way... I mean with all the similarities, you can't really blame him for getting 'confused' but God, he's got a long rough road ahead. I can't wait to watch him walk it.

Great Chapter.

Edited by J.Ross
I love the bitter sweet. :wub: Luc's and Daniel's story was exactly that.

I finally made a connection to Luc in this chapter. :D I had been wondering if that would ever happen. Of course, that means I don't want to see him hurt. :(

Scott must have a thing for "vulnerable" men. :P When he was young, I'm sure that he brought home stray dogs all the time. Frankly, the world desparately needs people like Scott.

Superb work, Duncan. :worship::worship:

Conner

B) ..............I agree, I am finally getting an idea of Luc's problems. I have a feeling things didn't go well for Daniel. Great chapter Duncan!!

Another great chapter, Duncan...very well done. The flashback to Luc and Daniel's relationship is very helpful in understanding Luc's current state of mind. I hope he finds the professional help he needs and personal relationships which will bring him back to the joy he once knew.

I'm glad Luc's plane finally reached the gate. I was afraid we would have to wait for chapter 9. :D

To anyone who is reading How the Light Gets In with out having read Everyone's Wounded, please read the earlier story first. It will give you a much greater appreciation of Duncan's current work.

Edited by MikeL
B) ..............I agree, I am finally getting an idea of Luc's problems. I have a feeling things didn't go well for Daniel. Great chapter Duncan!!

Hey everyone.

I know I'm taking a long time with chapters and I"m sorry, but that's life (or my life) and this chapter turned out to be a lot tougher that I thought it would be. But for those of you who have read EW (thanks Mike)....can I suggest you reread EW Chapter 17 to refresh your mind about what you already know about Daniel....it may change how you see this chapter (and I confess I wrote it assuming you knew what was in Chapter 17....)

duncan

I do remember what happened to poor Daniel, but I didn't think it happened so soon after he and Luc 'found' each other. I was under the impression that the two of them had been together for quite a while before they got caught. It seems sadder this way. It seriously pulls at my heartstrings just thinking about it. I love this story.

Edited by J.Ross
I do remember what happened to poor Daniel, but I didn't think it happened so soon after he and Luc 'found' each other. I was under the impression that the two of them had been together for quite a while before they got caught. It seems sadder this way. It seriously pulls at my heartstrings just thinking about it. I love this story.

I certainly agree with you. The moment of recall, flashback if you like, was very timely. Luc moving slowly toward the terminal where Scott stands waiting. The intensity of this past relationship suddenly superimposed on the painful, confusing present. Luc and Daniel were caught at the moment where a physical relationship - where they might become true lovers - was at best a promise. It was snatched away at the moment of discovery: seriously tragic.

In the midst of this we have Luc's struggle articulated:

Stupid, he told himself again. He had to get past it, had to see Scott as himself, not as who Daniel might have been.

Had he ever seen Scott that way?

Who was Scott, after all, but this nice guy

Stupid, he told himself again. He had to get past it, had to see Scott as himself, not as who Daniel might have been.

Had he ever seen Scott that way?

Who was Scott, after all, but this nice guy

After going through Luc's mind, I found myself falling in love with Scott as well. I felt so in tune with the buildup to meeting Scott again.

From reading both EW and HTLGI, I swear if I ever find a lover, I would compare him to Scott.

Also... uhm, poor Scott? I get that Luc obviously has more to deal with and there's more reason to feel bad for him, but really, can I just say; poor Scott. He already blames himself for Luc's attempted suicide and though it's not his fault, I can't help but think the fact that he's so similar to Daniel might have been a part of the 'reason'. Or...possibly a catalyst and that it really won't/doesn't help for him to know that. *shrug* I'm not saying this right. In any case, it's going to be hard for him as well (Josh too) because Luc's decided that he needs Scott. He's decided that he owes it to Daniel to be with him and that Scott's his destiny. That's not going to be easy on poor Scott. *hugs him* That's all kind of a lot to put on one person and I imagine it'll be double hard for Scott because he's got this whole 'saving people' thing. Josh's line in EW, 'you can't save us all' was one of my favorites and I've kind of got a feeling Scott's going to need to hear it again before long.

Actually you said it perfectly.

Excellent chapter, Duncan, in an excellent story.

After going through Luc's mind, I found myself falling in love with Scott as well. I felt so in tune with the buildup to meeting Scott again.

From reading both EW and HTLGI, I swear if I ever find a lover, I would compare him to Scott.

I'm falling in love with Scott, too.

Scott and Josh...I love them.

I nearly died after reading

"Regardes-moi," Daniel ordered softly. "Look at me." Luc had been so surprised that he raised his head. Daniel never spoke French to him. English was their thing.

He looked up, and into Daniel's eyes, and lost himself in that fog-grey gaze.

What he saw there scared him. He saw what he felt himself. The same want. The same fear.

And that first kiss! Too heartbreaking!!!! The circumstances surrounding Daniel's suicide were even more tragic than what I had assumed in EW.

I am sorta frustrated with the last two lines of the chapter. Poor, poor Luc. Just took ten steps back in his progress. :/

And though Josh isn't completely in my good book, yet, I have to give him props for being so supportive in helping Scott overcome his guilt. Before he took the first step and welcomed and embraced Luc back into their lives you could've cut the tension in front of that luggage carousel with a knife.

And though Josh isn't completely in my good book, yet, I have to give him props for being so supportive in helping Scott overcome his guilt. Before he took the first step and welcomed and embraced Luc back into their lives you could've cut the tension in front of that luggage carousel with a knife.

How did Josh get in your bad book?????

How did Josh get in your bad book?????

I don't know. :unsure: Maybe because of the way he dealt with Matt? Although, I don't think Josh has a clue as to how deeply Matt felt for him and he was completely messed up back then because of Graham... so of course he wouldn't imagine how Matt could misinterpret him when he voiced his disgust with himself and casual sex.

Or maybe because he's an econ major? Perhaps it's his air of elitism? Or could it be that red cashmere scarf? :lol: Whatever the reason, it's completely irrational, especially since Luc is French and that alone trumps Josh in the elitism category. haha.

I am trying to like him more, I swear!! I do feel for the guy for suffering through years of physical and emotional torture under the hands of a mad man. So, of course I admire his resilience and strength. I'm being petty, but at least I'm acknowledging it?

Edited by kiso

Luc is Quebecois, not French. Big difference, and very little elitism of the French variety in Quebecois society.

I have to admit I've been a Luc fan over being a Josh fan from the beginning. But I think Josh is perhaps the most wounded of all the characters in EW/Light. He's definitely not in my bad books at all - I feel for him - but I guess I just identify with Luc better or something.

Perhaps it's his air of elitism? Or could it be that red cashmere scarf? Whatever the reason, it's completely irrational, especially since Luc is French and that alone trumps Josh in the elitism category. haha.

Does having money somehow make you an elitist? Because, unless I missed quite a bit, I definitely never got an 'air of elitism' from Josh. At all... I could be wrong... which gives me a reason to go back a reread EW. Can't complain. I've been looking for one.

I'm sorry, but I'm not really sure I understand this. Josh was in your bad books because of an apparent air of elitism, but you like Luc, who 'trumps' him in the eltism category? *shrug*

I don't know. Maybe because of the way he dealt with Matt? Although, I don't think Josh has a clue as to how deeply Matt felt for him and he was completely messed up back then because of Graham... so of course he wouldn't imagine how Matt could misinterpret him when he voiced his disgust with himself and casual sex.

I think he did right by Matt. He ended everything as soon as he saw that it meant more to Matt than it meant to him. And it's not like he ever really led him on. His behavior to me, was pretty straightforward. Someone got hurt, which is never fun, but I don't really think anyone is to blame. Josh certainly deserves a little understanding here, because of everything with Graham. It's understandable, though, feeling for Matt. I do, I'm just not about to place blame. I'm definitely curious about him. And I can't wait to see how he and Luc react to each other and I'm kind of hoping the two get close so that maybe Luc and him can help each other a bit and Luc starts to move away from Scott a little.

*sigh* I feel this story makes me all sorts of incoherent. I get just a little over excited. Or something like that.

I never chose Josh over Luc, or vice versa. It was never one vs. the other for me. I like them both, well enough. I had hoped for a Scott/Josh outcome in EW because Luc was really closed off and I didn't think a relationship with Scott would be good for either of them. Luc refused to let him in and it was clear to me that a big part of what attracted Scott to Luc was the fact that he was a broken boy and Scott's one of those honestly good guys that really wants to 'help'. *pets him* Scott and Josh seemed more...equal? I don't know. One of my absolute favorite scenes in EW was the one where the two of them were laying in bed, neither sure who needed the comfort 'more'. Scott won't just be a protector in that relationship. Josh compliments him well and I think he does and will continue to help Scott just as much as Scott helps him. They work well together, imo.

But I think Josh is perhaps the most wounded of all the characters in EW/Light.

:( It's hard for me to judge who's most wounded. I'd say Josh and Luc are pretty much on equal footing. I can't really say one situation is 'worse' than the other. I feel for them equally, though I'm obviously more focused on Luc right now. Pobrecito. Gah, this whole story is heartbreaking.

I've rambled long enough. But, since Kiso brought it up... how about Matt? It's not just me that's curious about him, right? I think it was hinted at, somewhere that he was going through something when he met Josh and that might have had something to do with the way he 'fell' for him.

There's just... so much to look forward to with this story. *runs off*

Edited by J.Ross
I don't know. :unsure: Maybe because of the way he dealt with Matt? Although, I don't think Josh has a clue as to how deeply Matt felt for him and he was completely messed up back then because of Graham... so of course he wouldn't imagine how Matt could misinterpret him when he voiced his disgust with himself and casual sex.

Or maybe because he's an econ major? Perhaps it's his air of elitism? Or could it be that red cashmere scarf? :lol: Whatever the reason, it's completely irrational, especially since Luc is French and that alone trumps Josh in the elitism category. haha.

I am trying to like him more, I swear!! I do feel for the guy for suffering through years of physical and emotional torture under the hands of a mad man. So, of course I admire his resilience and strength. I'm being petty, but at least I'm acknowledging it?

Hmmm. I wonder if what you're reacting to is that Josh is older, more mature, has a stronger sense of who he is... it's cost him a lot, but he knows who he is and he's good with it.

One of the things that Luc and Matt have in common...is that neither of them have come to terms with who they are...

Something you might want to think about though, because it was something that occurred to me near the end of EW... and I swear it was never intentional...but it occurred to me that in a funny sort of way Luc and Josh were the same character, just six years apart... this occurred to me when I realized how similar they are physically, and then I realized it wasn't just a physical similarity...

Luc is Quebecois, not French. Big difference, and very little elitism of the French variety in Quebecois society.

I have to admit I've been a Luc fan over being a Josh fan from the beginning. But I think Josh is perhaps the most wounded of all the characters in EW/Light. He's definitely not in my bad books at all - I feel for him - but I guess I just identify with Luc better or something.

Yes, Quebecois, which is very different.

I find it very interesting how people felt about Luc and Josh for Scott in EW. I honestly didn't figure it out myself until about Chapter 17 or so... and I actaully wrote an alternate ending where Scott chooses Luc...

I am aware that he's French-Canadian and that it is a completely different culture. That was a joke.

I'm sorry, but I'm not really sure I understand this. Josh was in your bad books because of an apparent air of elitism, but you like Luc, who 'trumps' him in the eltism category? *shrug*

I did say that my distate for him was irrational and pretty much unfounded. I should probably reread EW as well, to either find concrete evidence for the way I feel (for myself really, not to argue this further) or change my opinion.

If I had known that there would be a sequel, focusing on Luc (and Matt), I probably wouldn't have interpreted EW as a competition of sorts for Scott's affections. At the end of EW, I thought Josh had basically "won" (a supportive lover guiding him through recovery) and Luc had "lost" (well, he had his family, but he essentially lost Scott and perhaps the one thing that made him really happy, his sklls as a pianist.) Which made me empathize more with Luc and apparently WAY less with Josh.

I realize now that regardless of HTLGI's existence, it was so silly of me to have viewed such a complex story as this in such a simple manner.

And I'll just go ahead and apologize to Duncan for insulting a character he has painstakingly created for us.

Edited by kiso
:( It's hard for me to judge who's most wounded. I'd say Josh and Luc are pretty much on equal footing. I can't really say one situation is 'worse' than the other. I feel for them equally, though I'm obviously more focused on Luc right now. Pobrecito. Gah, this whole story is heartbreaking.

I've rambled long enough. But, since Kiso brought it up... how about Matt? It's not just me that's curious about him, right? I think it was hinted at, somewhere that he was going through something when he met Josh and that might have had something to do with the way he 'fell' for him.

There's just... so much to look forward to with this story. *runs off*

Ah yes. How about Matt. That's what I want to keep reminding everyone. How about Matt...

Duncan, wandering off to tak to Matt...

And I'll just go ahead and apologize to Duncan for insulting a character he has painstakingly created for us.

I'm not at all insulted. It's actaully very flattering that people relate so strongly to my guys. I mean, they are real to me, in a weird way... they live in my head and can be annoyingly present sometimes. But that readers relate to them so strongly is about the best thing I writer could ask for.

I'm not at all insulted. It's actaully very flattering that people relate so strongly to my guys. I mean, they are real to me, in a weird way... they live in my head and can be annoyingly present sometimes. But that readers relate to them so strongly is about the best thing I writer could ask for.

ok. phew. :P

Ah yes. How about Matt. That's what I want to keep reminding everyone. How about Matt...

Duncan, wandering off to tak to Matt...

Yes, yes! Go have a chat. We haven't heard from him lately!

I'm looking forward to reading about Matt and Luc's first impressions of eachother...