One of the main pulls of a love story comes from the idea that the main character can actually have a shot at the boy of his dreams. That despite fear, distance, struggle, social rejection, or a number of other problems...that little slice of heaven is still within reach. And that can be a very enlightening and 'grin inducing' concept for everyone reading.

Now...when I say 'the boy of your dreams'...that doesn't mean that he has to be super teen boy model gorgeous. He's the boy of YOUR dreams! And that automatically mean that there is no set standard for what you like. As long as the emotion feels real, for the author, the readers, and the characters involved.

This week's question is...how do you go about creating this almost 'magical' specimen for your stories? What parts of your life or your past do you draw from when creating the look and feel of this character? What personality traits to you try to put into him? What flaws do you insert? The 'love interest' role is an MAJOR part of the story. If he doesn't work out or seem appealing, it's gonna be hard to keep your reader's attention. So how do you go about making one up? Let us know! :)

Edited by Comsie

I'll partially answer this with a story. When I first started writing "The Gunroom," I needed an inspiration for a love interest for the main character (George Granger). I had an idea of what I wanted this guy to look like, what I wanted his attitude to be like, but I couldn't quite get it down. As it happened, I went on a cruise and there was this one bartender who had the exact look I was trying to picture. He had the attitude too. So I stole his persona and wrote him in.biggrin.gif

I'm kind of like the devil.devilsmiley.gif I go around and steal souls, writing them in to my stories. You could be next.tongue.gif

It depends is the answer to this one. Most of my male characters are beautiful and extraordinary in one way or another for three reasons. One they are my fantasy men and it excites me to write about them, two because it is pure escapism and I think that people looking for escapism are not looking for acne and bad teeth, they are looking for someone they can drool over, and thirdly I generally write the description of the character through the eyes of their love interest so of course they are going to be beautiful to them otherwise why bother?

I tend to put a bit of ordinariness in most of my characters... except the ones I REALLY drool over or if there is another compelling reason (for example Daniel in DL who was deliberately written to be the me I have always wanted to be... he even has my hair :) ; or the angels in my angel stories) All my characters have flaws but they are different according to the character. Sometimes it is a temper, sometimes a weakness, sometimes a naivety ... to the point of stupidity on occasion. But someone who is totally beautiful and entirely flawless on the inside and the outside is nothing more than a characature and no one at all is going to relate to them.

When trying to create the perfect dream boy, it usually depends on the persona I'm trying to create for the main character. I try to make an 'almost' complete person to be the main focus of the story, to narrate and share his inner thoughts and feelings about what's going on. Then I try to creat a counterpart that possesses what's missing. A perfect fitting piece for the 'puzzle'. If 'Derrick' is struggling in "Class" and worried about mone, then 'Tanner' is his mirror opposite. Someone who can help to make him whole again. If 'Ethan' is secretive and in the closet, the 'Drew' is out and dealing with the backlash of having people know. If one boy is shy, the other isn't as much (like Tyler and Ariel), if one boy is out of options, then the other possess an alternative (like Justin and Taryn). the idea of finding a match for what you're looking for is where I think the 'magic' of a true love story comes from. Someone saying, "All I want in a boyfriend is *this*...." and then, lo and behold...thee just happens to be a boy that has everything that you're looking for and more. I think it inspires hope and a genuine smile to think that this perfect person is out there for you somewhere. It's amazing.

I've recently found someone for me that fits this example to a tee! He's like a soulmate for me...and when I look back at all the times that I've been in love...I realize that he is th boy I've been looking for my whole LIFE! And that makes me feel like I'm living one of my own stories, everyday of my life. (You know...but better! :P)

Also, I always try to give the dream boy one unique and interesting trait. Something artistic. He draws, writes, is in a band, loves old movies, loves comic books....something that displays his passion for somethig all his own. I really like doing that as well. If you go back and read most of my stories, there's always some kind of artistic or quirky side to my love interests that is meant to be shared or displayed to the main character. Almost always. It's just something I love to do, I guess. :)

I've recently found someone for me that fits this example to a tee! He's like a soulmate for me...and when I look back at all the times that I've been in love...I realize that he is th boy I've been looking for my whole LIFE! And that makes me feel like I'm living one of my own stories, everyday of my life. (You know...but better! :P)

Congrats! specool.gif That's so exciting! thumbsupsmileyanim.gif I'm so happy for you! wub.gif Although, sadly, I guess that means you're off the market. sad.gif

Seems everyone I like dies or something horrible happens to them so I figure that I'm the kiss of death.

If I like somebody, I don't dare like them... which probably explains why I hate everybody. :wacko:

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..