For all the reviewers

Okay I just turned 19 and graduated from high school, I had a crappy english teacher who didn't teach grammer she started in the middle of the lessons which totally got me lost and I failed. You know how alot of people say they can't unerstand math? It's the same thing for me with Grammer, even though I love to write it's my passion i just don't get grammer it's like forign to me.

So when I post stories here I have made it my goal to find an editor before I post and I have found one, Thank you Night owl for taking the time in helping me out. :wub:

I don't think half of you know how hard it is to write a story that you really want to see it in writing.

First

1. You have your story line

2 your plot

3. character devolment (You have to plan there thoughts, there actions, there familes and friends etc..)

4. You have to have an imagination and think of something that's never been done before (Which is hard for me because all the stories I wanna write about have already been done before)

5. Like a fairytale you have to have some termoil in the story including a climax.

On top of all this brainstorming you need the grammer, spelling everything you'd expect from an english teacher.

One thing I can't stand is when a reviewer complains about small errors and then goes and reviews another saying "One thing I like about your story is you have perfect grammer and spelling, well done." But they say nothing about the story itself if they liked it or not.

Authors are taking the time out of there day to write a story for the enjoyment of doing so and for your entertainment, it sucks when you have no clue if people are enjoying the story or not so they know there not waisting there time doing it. When all you do is complain it brings you down and if you try to improve and they still complain well I don't know about you but it makes feel like nobody's enjoying the story so I just give up and write it for me.

All I ask is before you review a story don't head straight to the mistakes tell them what you think of it and if it's not an inconvience tell them the mistakes they did make in PRIVATE maybe through an email, because of course we need to hear what mistakes we've made so we can go back and fix them but do it in private please. That would be awesome!

1511760.GIF

• Like 2

I think the majority of people here do very well know how hard it is to write a story and also how a story is laid out and produced. Very many indeed.

I agree with what you said though, some reviewers do write a message ONLY to tell you of your errors, even if it is only one in the entire story and make no mention about the plot, characters, etc. you've invested your time, soul and heart into at all. That can be very frustrating, and I've experienced that myself. When I questioned one reviewer about that, they sent me an extremely long insulting email telling me of my arrogance (among other things) and how I'll never get better if I don't take any criticism and that they'll never read anything of me again. All for questioning an aspect of their reviewing. My one and only reply/question remains in the comment area of the story, but their "hidden" and very personal attack was sent to me privately.

Just keep doing what you do to tell your story appreciating the helpful reviews and comments, and try not to let those other kind get to you as discouraging or irritating as it can be sometimes :-)

Z-

Two things that will help you get your desired result -

1) When you post your story - open a discussion thread and repeat what you said here - 'yes i know there are some mistakes and I am working to correct those - please send me those comments in private - but here can you give me feedback on my story etc'

I get grammar feed back on my thread from a friend and I don't mind, in fact I asked for it but that is me. She is the only one who does it because she and I are good like that.

2) I suggest you add that little note at the end of your chapters for the folks who are giving you reviews.

Finally, I would just ignore those picky grammar comments. Don't let them get to you because I suspect what you will mostly get are positive comments. Be aware, however, that IF you ask, some people will give you straight up constructive feed back i.e. something that can also be called constructive criticism. It is hard to accept this -even when it is done politely BUT this is often your best feed back. Try to take it and use it.

Oh and let me know when you post it, I want to read what has you so passionate - I am willing to bet it is good stuff :)

Andy

2 your plot

3. character devolment (You have to plan there thoughts, there actions, there familes and friends etc..)

4. You have to have an imagination and think of something that's never been done before (Which is hard for me because all the stories I wanna write about have already been done before)

5. Like a fairytale you have to have some termoil in the story including a climax.

On top of all this brainstorming you need the grammer, spelling everything you'd expect from an english teacher.

Jasmin,

Your storyline IS your plot. One is just more detailed than the other. There are only so many plots in the world and all of them have been done. You will never write anything new, however you can put a new spin on an old plot. A climax is part of the plot. If you have a plot, then you have a climax. Maybe you need a class in writing, not just a generic English class. Check at your local adult education center or community college; some recreation centers or libraries in bigger cities hold them too. You should also hang out in the writer's areas of this site, there is a wealth of information there. Take the time to check your spelling and grammar, it shows a bit of professionalism, and even if the story isn't the best, it shows you care.

As for getting the feedback you want, ask questions. Start a thread, and pose the questions you want the answers to in the correct forum. Ask the readers what they thought of particular parts or the plot in general. Find one or two that you trust and really pick their brains apart.

Lugh

• Like 1

Don't count the bad reviews that are bad. There are always bad apples out there.

Just go for all of the Good apples out there and you know they taste so good even if you're learning something new.

It super that you took steps in making a good piece of art.

Don't worry if something written before ... everyone has to learn to ride a bike ... it different when you bike to race

But you know what ... the race has been ran before year after year ... for like a 100 years ... why do it?

"For ninety minutes I don't have to be me ... I can be someone else"

OsenWells Movie with ZacEfron

I say for those 90 min you can have one hell of a ride and win a good race ... it lets you be inside yourself - your imagination

When your readers read it ... its for them to link up to your imagination ... ride that race with you

Too bad that there those bad apples with poor imagination

They just can't join that race

Jasmin,

Your storyline IS your plot. One is just more detailed than the other. There are only so many plots in the world and all of them have been done. You will never write anything new, however you can put a new spin on an old plot. A climax is part of the plot. If you have a plot, then you have a climax. Maybe you need a class in writing, not just a generic English class. Check at your local adult education center or community college; some recreation centers or libraries in bigger cities hold them too. You should also hang out in the writer's areas of this site, there is a wealth of information there. Take the time to check your spelling and grammar, it shows a bit of professionalism, and even if the story isn't the best, it shows you care.

As for getting the feedback you want, ask questions. Start a thread, and pose the questions you want the answers to in the correct forum. Ask the readers what they thought of particular parts or the plot in general. Find one or two that you trust and really pick their brains apart.

Lugh

Lugh I'd love to go to college at the moment but money is tight and as for making a thread why not just make it easier and post a review at the end of the story?

Given the number of reviews that writers get for their stories, and those are usually a miniscule proportion of the read count I woudl advise you to cherish every review good and bad because is shows that someone cares. The vast majority of people who read your story will not leave any review at all. They will read, love or hate, and move on without ever telling you what they thought. And that's fine... that's what people do, But every now and again you will have someone who is stirred by your story, who is affected by it to the extent they have to say something... and so they do. Whatever they have to say, the very fact they posted a review is a compliment. And many of those who critique mean it in a good way... to help you get better. If the story was mere crap why would they bother.

You can say... start a discussion thread, but let's be honest how many people would actuallly use it. When you look at the tiny ratio of people who review the ratio of that ratio of people who actually contribute to a discussion is even smaller, unless you have a twist or are a very established writer. I mean look at the boards. Even when someone like Comicality starts a thread how many people ACTUALLY contribute to it.

Take heart hun. Your story has a great core, if people don't like the grammar they don't have to read the story do they?

• Like 2
  • Site Administrator

While I understand the plea of the author, I want to point out that sometimes (not always), you need to appreciate things from the reviewers points of view. I've got a particular case in mind :)

I know of one person who has Asperger's Syndrome (he's quite open about this). One of the consequences of this is that he is unable to only mention good things in a review. He has to list both the good and the bad. This is not because he thinks the story is bad, but because in his mind he's unable to separate things out and only list one set without the other. He only has a limited ability to prioritise comments and usually can't just mention the important ones.

Not all reviewers are like that, but if a someone leaves a review that you're not happy with, don't automatically assume the worst. Sometimes you'll be correct with that assumption, but not always. Take the time to try to get more information from that reviewer if you can -- you may be surprised.

Graeme :)

• Site Administrator

He who has imagination without learning, has wings and no feet.

Joseph Joubert

This sums up my opinions on this subject. Grammar and spelling is not the be all and end all to what makes a story. Yes, a great story with an interesting plot and characters that shows the wonderful mind the writer has is great. However, if it is full of spelling and grammar mistakes I must come to the conclusion that the writer doesn't care to really put the work into their story that it deserves. I do my very best to put honest effort into the thoughts behind the setting, the characters and the issue at play and I want to do that justice. I don't know everything but I know that if I am not sure on a grammar rule or spelling of a word I can and will look it up. It doesn't take long, I keep dictionary.com on my favorites bar and use it quite often. Writing isn't just getting your idea across to the reader. It requires more than just a great story, it requires that you put thought into how you present that idea. If you don't do the work on the basics then your story is likely to never really take off.

• Like 2

He who has imagination without learning, has wings and no feet.

Joseph Joubert

This sums up my opinions on this subject. Grammar and spelling is not the be all and end all to what makes a story. Yes, a great story with an interesting plot and characters that shows the wonderful mind the writer has is great. However, if it is full of spelling and grammar mistakes I must come to the conclusion that the writer doesn't care to really put the work into their story that it deserves. I do my very best to put honest effort into the thoughts behind the setting, the characters and the issue at play and I want to do that justice. I don't know everything but I know that if I am not sure on a grammar rule or spelling of a word I can and will look it up. It doesn't take long, I keep dictionary.com on my favorites bar and use it quite often. Writing isn't just getting your idea across to the reader. It requires more than just a great story, it requires that you put thought into how you present that idea. If you don't do the work on the basics then your story is likely to never really take off.

I whole-heartedly agree with this; if the spelling/grammar are so bad that the story is unintelligible then be prepared for some heavy criticism.

One story I read recently came with the statement "thank you so much to (name) for editing", however the work was unreadable. Now the person named as editor has written a large number of works here and writes VERY well. I was concerned that there was something remiss, so I emailed the editor. Sure enough the author had submitted the work to the editor and then ignored the comments and uploaded the work anyway. I'd like to suggest to anyone that, to me, this is the height of rudeness; if your aim was to try and trash the editors reputation, for god's sake go and get a life.... if it was some weird thought that what was written didn't need the editors help, then don't include the editors name on your story.

I am not sure why this incident got me so riled up, but it did and it was to an extent compounded when I didn't get a reply to my (private, polite and concerned) message to the author (nothing says he or she has to reply, but given I suggested that perhaps he/she had uploaded the wrong version, or there was some other simple reason for a few of the blatant errors, I thought I might get at least an acknowledgement, an"f'off" or a request for help).

Being an author is more than words on a page. putting your work out in public means it is no longer all about you, it is about your readers - do them the courtesy of paying them attention too.

Rant over!!

• Like 2

I whole-heartedly agree with this; if the spelling/grammar are so bad that the story is unintelligible then be prepared for some heavy criticism.

One story I read recently came with the statement "thank you so much to (name) for editing", however the work was unreadable. Now the person named as editor has written a large number of works here and writes VERY well. I was concerned that there was something remiss, so I emailed the editor. Sure enough the author had submitted the work to the editor and then ignored the comments and uploaded the work anyway. I'd like to suggest to anyone that, to me, this is the height of rudeness; if your aim was to try and trash the editors reputation, for god's sake go and get a life.... if it was some weird thought that what was written didn't need the editors help, then don't include the editors name on your story.

I am not sure why this incident got me so riled up, but it did and it was to an extent compounded when I didn't get a reply to my (private, polite and concerned) message to the author (nothing says he or she has to reply, but given I suggested that perhaps he/she had uploaded the wrong version, or there was some other simple reason for a few of the blatant errors, I thought I might get at least an acknowledgement, an"f'off" or a request for help).

Being an author is more than words on a page. putting your work out in public means it is no longer all about you, it is about your readers - do them the courtesy of paying them attention too.

Rant over!!

No this was my story and me and nightowl were having difficulties with the programs we were using but if you go and check it it's all cleaned up.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally, I would just ignore those picky grammar comments.(Well, this depends what you intend for your story, if you are aiming to publish one day, do perhaps take the time to check them out.) Don't let them get to you because I suspect what you will mostly get are positive comments. Be aware, however, that IF you ask, some people will give you straight up constructive feed back i.e. something that can also be called constructive criticism. It is hard to accept this -even when it is done politely BUT this is often your best feed back. Try to take it and use it.

I agree with this wholeheartedly. It isn't always easy to accept someone's critical opinion--but, and I cannot stress how much I mean this-- it can help with your writing immensely. But, yes, only honing in on one's mistakes can be disheartening. Still, as someone else mentioned, the fact someone left a review at all means they care somewhat about the story you are writing, and perhaps only wish the best for it.

:) keep going! And you're sooo right, writing is tricky, hard, sweat inducing, but by golly is it fufilling.

• Like 1

@ Zland666

I have seen SO many grammatical mistakes everywhere! But as so many posts have pointed out, we still get what you are saying!

There are several people here who post such hilarious posts just because they don't necessarily 'know' the way that we are used to hearing/seeing it!

I won't mention names for obivious reasons, but I jump on their posts BECAUSE of the humour in the mistranslation (sp) of the English language!

With an open mind, a whole lot of us can, and DO, enjoy you!

Carry on, Z!

There are quite a few 'silent' ones out here who love your work.

I hate typos, grammatical infelicities, syntax blunders, and other such things...in my own work. When I'm reading someone else's work--at least online--I tend to be much more charitable. I never see the point in tearing an author a new one, either in public or private, unless you think that some egregious problem in the writing seriously mars an otherwise fine piece of work (And yeah, I've written such an email to an author. Privately.).

Generally speaking, three things strike me about an author's work.

1) The story--if the author has a compelling story to tell and a strong narrative sense, that covers a multitude of sins. I'll hang with an author who's deficient in other ways is he/she can spin a good yarn.

2) The mechanics--a story that's riddled with punctuation mistakes, misspellings, and bad syntax is generally not a story I enjoy reading. Unless the story itself is strong and compelling, bad mechanics will usually cause me not to care much for the work.

3) The style--beyond questions of narrative and mechanics, some authors' use of words, syntax, imagery--and hell, even punctuation, sentence-and-paragraph construction, dialog--take my breath away. I'm not necessarily talking about overblown or excessively florid writing; some of the most powerful stylists cut right to the bone in terms of their verbal efficiency.

No, when I'm talking about style in writing, I'm thinking about guys who, beyond telling a story, clearly love the language, who give individual words and phrases thought and care. These are the guys I love to read. These are the guys who leave me wanting more. And more. And more. These are the guys who make me fall in love. With the writing, of course (but feel free to email me privately with additional proposals if you're one of those writers :lol:).

Unsurprisingly, writers who excel at #3 generally have 1 and 2 down cold. But not always: You can always have style-without-substance (I think of Edmund White's Nocturnes for the King of Naples) or powerful narrative with prose that leaves a little to be desired and/or needs a heavier proofreading/editorial hand (Two much-beloved Hosted Authors whose stories I love madly come to mind, but I'll pass on calling them out by name...mainly because I don't want to be universally hated here).

When authors display mastery in all three areas...well, that's Reader Heaven, in my opinion.

I have enjoyed this post very much.

I may be a terrible author because I never have a plan, outline or anything else. I just write what plops out of my head.

I have gone back and read a few of my stories after I have forgotten what they were about and was surprised at how many grammer and spelling mistakes I made writing my stories. I always re-read my chapters, but tend to read what I mean, not what I wrote.

I can see now that an editor would make all the difference in the world.

Jim

Okay I just turned 19 and graduated from high school, I had a crappy english teacher who didn't teach grammer she started in the middle of the lessons which totally got me lost and I failed. You know how alot of people say they can't unerstand math? It's the same thing for me with Grammer, even though I love to write it's my passion i just don't get grammer it's like forign to me.

So when I post stories here I have made it my goal to find an editor before I post and I have found one, Thank you Night owl for taking the time in helping me out. :wub:

I don't think half of you know how hard it is to write a story that you really want to see it in writing.

First

2 your plot

One thing I can't stand is when a reviewer complains about small errors and then goes and reviews another saying "One thing I like about your story is you have perfect grammer and spelling, well done." But they say nothing about the story itself if they liked it or not.

Authors are taking the time out of there day to write a story for the enjoyment of doing so and for your entertainment, it sucks when you have no clue if people are enjoying the story or not so they know there not waisting there time doing it. When all you do is complain it brings you down and if you try to improve and they still complain well I don't know about you but it makes feel like nobody's enjoying the story so I just give up and write it for me.

All I ask is before you review a story don't head straight to the mistakes tell them what you think of it and if it's not an inconvience tell them the mistakes they did make in PRIVATE maybe through an email, because of course we need to hear what mistakes we've made so we can go back and fix them but do it in private please. That would be awesome!

1511760.GIF