Do you read on when...

However, I would hate it if, when reading a story, the author mention in the forum that the personage dies at the end or even later on before it is posted in the story.

That's like someone giving away the ending of a movie you really wanted to see before you've seen more than the previews. I hate when people do that. :angry:

Yes, I'd read on. However, I would be very sad if I liked that particular character. If it's a character I don't like much, then it's not that much of a loss to me.

Besides, which stories have more impact: those in which the protagonists aren't hurt at all, or those in which the protagonists suffer? I'd say the latter. If all goes well for the protagonists, stories also tend to get a bit boring, at least in my opinion.

I take issue with spoilers that huge. I think the stories would be more powerful if readers didn't know ahead of time that their favorite character was going to die. Personally, when I know ahead of time that the main character isn't going to survive the last chapter, I take steps to keep myself getting to close to that character and the impact isn't nearly as strong.

But yes, I do read on. Especially if I'm familiar with the author's work already, and have enjoyed it before. :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Do you read on when:

1) you KNOW one of the main protagonists die?

Feel free to add other questions.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1) I'm reading a book and there's a lovely relationship going on, but I know there's a tragic end and the guy will die. I am convincing myself to read on because it's well written, BUT it sort of puts me off. Hmmm, don't know how much longer I can stick with it. Especially as we really get to know their characters and I like them both so much. :(

I do, especially if I like the characters. It is almost like telling them I don't care. I know you died but you weren't important enough to see why and how it affected those around you. It is sort of insulting to them. The only time I would say skip it is if you aren't invested in the story to begin with. Then why bother.

• 2 weeks later...

Being a sucker for happy endings, I'd be tempted not to, but I probably would if I'd started the story and it was well written. But as weird as this will sound, I absolutely will NOT read a story where I know the characters will end up breaking up due to college, moving and any other scenario. For whatever reason, that gets me more than death.

Edited by Percivial

One cannot "edit" death out of life, why edit it out of your reading? The fact that life ends adds a certain amount of the meaning, after all. If you could live forever, what you choose to do matters less, because there is always time to do something else. With mortality comes the necessity of sacrificing things that you could do in exchange for what you "did." And especially in stories, how and why a character dies in very important. If I remember correctly the two hunting dogs in "Where the Red Fern Grows" were mortally wounded saving the life of the boy who loved them. (One died of wounds, the other died of heartbreak.) It would be a very different story if you just stopped in the middle.

Honor the writer, honor the world of the characters, read on!

Edited by VampireMystic