Do you read on when...

Do you read on when:

1) you KNOW one of the main protagonists die?

Feel free to add other questions.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1) I'm reading a book and there's a lovely relationship going on, but I know there's a tragic end and the guy will die. I am convincing myself to read on because it's well written, BUT it sort of puts me off. Hmmm, don't know how much longer I can stick with it. Especially as we really get to know their characters and I like them both so much. :(

• Like 1

Oh I'd read it no matter what.. for me its the journey that matters... The destination is Important.. sure.. But, its not really any less exciting if i do happen to know that the weather's gonna be bad there!! lol

:)

• Like 1

It sort of spoils the fun a little bit for me but even so if the story is well written I will still read it because as Frosty pointed out, I like the journey the author takes us on as well as the final word the author leaves us on. :)

• Like 1

For something like this, it all depends on the story. If it's done right it's worth the pain and anger over their loss. If you think about it, for most movies these days you can sort of guess at the ending and who's going to end up with whom or which sports team is going to win the final game at the climax, but the ending isn't as important as the journey to get there.

Okay I'm gonna be the lame one and say . . . um, there's a good chance I may not . . . unless I'm "studying" the book. If I picked it up for entertainment, I don't know that I'd want to go on if I expected such disappointment.

Of course, I'm not saying that's the best attitude to have. I've probably missed out on some interesting things b/c of it . . . and I can think of a few good books I would have turned away if I had known the outcome before I started reading. My guess is that since reading was always an "escape" for me, I wanted my characters to be having adventures and overcoming troubles . . . to inspire me, in a way.

I have stopped reading in that sitation. :( No matter how well the story is written, I can't take bad endings well. I even take sneak peeks in the end if the story goes too difficult (like vlista's Shane).

There is this excelent story that has had tons of reviews and I'm sure everyone knows what I'm talking about. I started it and fell in love with the characters. But, then I looked up for descriptions of the chapters and stumbled on a discussion in chatroom that got me really scared. So I put the story in hold untill I know I can read it safely.

I need a happy ending. Or at least hope.

• Like 1

Well, it was indirectly--actually it probably was a bit of a fluke. See, it mentioned 'bomb' so I was like, eekk, do one of the main two die? So I checked the last scene in book. Which was a death of the boy by hanging.

Um, yeah... so I do know. I've tried to read more folks, but no matter how well it's written, I find it too sad to get emotionally involved with the characters' relationship and each of them personally to be able to handle the boy dying.

It makes me sad, and I want escapism--

HOWEVER, that's not to say I don't like/read bittersweet endings, or anything. In fact, I do like a little realism in the stories I read, just, I don't want the main character to die. :)

• Like 1

Absolutely yes, I keep going on. When I pretty much know the ending, it only piques my curiosity more to see exactly how the story unfolds up to that vital point and then how the authour goes about doing the deed, exactly. I don't like cutting things off with a vague idea of how it ends--I need the details.

It depends. If i'm reading literature then of course i'm gonna continue reading, it only makes the book more interesting.

If i'm reading entertainment, then no. I'm not gonna waste my time if that's not what I'm looking for.

It depends. If i'm reading literature then of course i'm gonna continue reading, it only makes the book more interesting.

If i'm reading entertainment, then no. I'm not gonna waste my time if that's not what I'm looking for.

Ditto :P

If I like the story I will keep reading, otherwise I don't normally keep reading

I usually like happy endings, but depending on the type of book I would probably expected there to be no happy ending.

(And sometimes the death of the character is actually the happy ending...)

If a story is interesting, I tend to want to read it through to the end. Even if there are deaths on the way.

• Like 1

I read stories more and more often now as a form of escapism too...to take my mind off my current situation and immerse myself into the main character.

That is why I very much prefer a happy ending. (The protagonist lives, BF (if applicable) lives, along with his most inner circle of friends, antagonist dies/is neutralized/switches sides) If not, I tend to be kinda grumpy for the rest of the day. (or week, depending on how much time I spent reading and how immersed I get) :P

Edited by thephoenix

Do you read on when:

Feel free to add other questions.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1) I'm reading a book and there's a lovely relationship going on, but I know there's a tragic end and the guy will die. I am convincing myself to read on because it's well written, BUT it sort of puts me off. Hmmm, don't know how much longer I can stick with it. Especially as we really get to know their characters and I like them both so much. :(

I'm such a sucker for a happy ending that most likely I wouldn't, that's probably limiting me though bc I've been blindsided by a death of a character before as a reader and ended up enjoying the story the more so for it. But it has to be done incredibly well and if it's hinted at early (prologues set in current time with stories that "flashback" with main character deaths or even break-ups or general sadness put me off too)... There's actually a story on here by an author I really enjoy that began with the main character being alone and trying to move on from a break up and as soon as the story flashbacks to discuss the relationship -- I found it very hard to hear all the wonderful, shiny moments of the 2 characters so I put that story on hold to read later (maybe when it's completed so i can peak at the last chapter to see if they do get back together! :P)

Do you read on when:

Yes, especially since I myself am not afraid to kill of my main characters.

However, it's much more difficult for me to read on when I know it has a tragic ending. By this, I mean for example that the bad guy gets away, or the characters died for nothing, the issue wasn't resolve. The ending can be sad... but I want it to be happy at the same time. Know what I mean? :P

For me, I don't mind that a protagonist eventually dies in a story. Also to a certain extend I wouldn't really mind either if in the story it start showing the protagonist dying or coming close to it then doing a flashback to show what led to it...

However, I would hate it if, when reading a story, the author mention in the forum that the personage dies at the end or even later on before it is posted in the story.