Song of the moment

On 04/07/2017 at 1:01 PM, R J Drew said:

Although 'The Killing of Georgie' was released in 1976, this song is still very relevant today. Rod Stewart's story starts with Georgie being rejected by his family for being gay, and ends with Georgie (who finally finds his place in the world,) being killed by a group of homophobic teens. Of course there have been other songs from that era and even earlier, like The Kinks 'Lola.' and Lou Reed's 'Walk on the Wild Side.' But for me, Georgie's story is more than camp and partying. I think it was an honest attempt to bring attention to the hatred that people in the LGBTQ community face. As a matter of fact, if anyone knows of a song/songs that deal with this serious topic, I would appreciate if you can send me a PM with the title and artist/artists. Actually the older, the better.

My favourite Rod Stewart track. Based on a real person that he knew, but in the song he wasn't killed for being gay, just a mugging that goes wrong.

13 hours ago, Paqman said:

My favourite Rod Stewart track. Based on a real person that he knew, but in the song he wasn't killed for being gay, just a mugging that goes wrong.

13 hours ago, Paqman said:

On 7/4/2017 at 8:01 AM, R J Drew said:

Although 'The Killing of Georgie' was released in 1976, this song is still very relevant today. Rod Stewart's story starts with Georgie being rejected by his family for being gay, and ends with Georgie (who finally finds his place in the world,) being killed by a group of homophobic teens. Of course there have been other songs from that era and even earlier, like The Kinks 'Lola.' and Lou Reed's 'Walk on the Wild Side.' But for me, Georgie's story is more than camp and partying. I think it was an honest attempt to bring attention to the hatred that people in the LGBTQ community face. As a matter of fact, if anyone knows of a song/songs that deal with this serious topic, I would appreciate if you can send me a PM with the title and artist/artists. Actually the older, the better.

I love Rod Stewart. He is one of my all time favorite 'blue-eyed' soul brothers from across the ocean. I know Georgie was a friend of Rod Stewart's, as well as a friend to other members of The Faces. Maybe I should not have said the young men were homophobic. I have a tendency to read between the lines, especially in older songs, considering artists found ways to be creative when leaving hidden messages for their listeners to prevent being censored. Thanks for your response, and for the video of 'Love Is Blindness.'