What do you do when you can't sleep?

At the moment suffering through another bout of insomnia. Was just curious what others do when suffering from this joyous thing or are you one of the lucky ones who sees a bed and is instantly asleep. So far did warm milk, a shower, and laid down for two hours bored out of my mind just trying to rest. Can't focus enough to write my story so going through the forums where I can make quick reads and answers.

Eat, watch tv, play tetris.

I should mention that none of these "cure" my insomnia, I simply have to wait until I become exhausted and actually fall asleep.

Edited by Skyline

I turn off all lights and electronics around me at least an hour before hand, but with school thats not usually possible. So I try to just lie down and I just try not to think about anything. Low key music may help you zone out and fall asleep.

Being completely serious here but masturbation may help as well since your a lot more relaxed afterwards and I'd imagine you'd be able to drift off to sleep.

At the moment suffering through another bout of insomnia. Was just curious what others do when suffering from this joyous thing or are you one of the lucky ones who sees a bed and is instantly asleep. So far did warm milk, a shower, and laid down for two hours bored out of my mind just trying to rest. Can't focus enough to write my story so going through the forums where I can make quick reads and answers.

If I know for sure I'm gonna have just one of those nights when I cant sleep, I'll always try to physically exhaust myself just so my brain switches off. That works 80% of the time, the problems begin when I dont know its round the corner and I do just have to wait for sleep to come. Mine often come in small bouts though due to moving between home/uni at holidays or odd weekend. Would you say the time periods between the incidents for you make it more acute insomnia or are they such small gaps of restbite its chronic?

I go through it every couple of months. I usually hit two or three days where sleep just isn't going to come when I'd like it and if I get three hours of sleep I'm lucky.

I read, usually something kinda mindless, that I dont have to think to much, but can get into easily. I know for me, when I get insomnia, I try not to get to worked up about it, it seems to make me that much more tired the next day. If I can at least lay down and get my body to rest, to me, its better than nothing.

If I can't sleep theres probably some reason why. Most common for me my skin is dry and that irritates me. So i'll lotion down my entire body.

I have to use the bathroom, naturally I'd go to the bath room.

Get a drink of water, play video games, play with iPhone, play with my penis

I read my economics or calculus textbook. :P

But seriously, some music at a very low volume (just not heavy metal, rap, or the like) and set it for some auto-shut off or something sometimes helps.

I remember my old roommate waaaaay back used to do sit ups to exhaustion. I do that occasionally too, insomnia or not.

Edited by thephoenix

Umm . . . get on GA? (or the internet in general).

I tend to give in to my insomnia. If I try and sleep, I just end up annoyed. So I'll usually daydream (or nightdream-- but while still awake, lol) or get up and do something.

May not be of use to you now, but perhaps for future bouts with insomnia, there are these things called 'Moondrops', a homeopathic remedy that worked wonders for me when I was having trouble sleeping. You should be able to find them at most any health food store...

good luck ;-)

-victor

errr... I get on here and talk my heart out :P If i cant sleep, tossing and turning in bed will just wake the hubby up! so I just try to stay out of his way.. and drink lots of fluids.. :P by the 2nd or third night, i usually pass out! :P otherwise, the the hubby just follows the doc's instructions and takes matters in his own hands :/

Anyway... I read plenty too :P hoping that wud get me to sleep :P never does.. but hey that just means i've enjoyed my self ;)

My 'cure' Is to wait till I just pass out :)

Although this isn't very practical as i can pass out in random places for instance; Trainstation, up a tree, on a boat, in a boat XD... Even while talking in the middle of a sentence and worst of all while walking XD

Some suggestions:

• Try to go to bed and wake up at the sames times. a regular routine is helpful for good sleep.
  • Avoid Napping during the day.
  • Avoid stimulants such as caffeine, nicotine or alcohol at least 2 to 3 hours before bedtime.

Don't forget, chocolate has caffeine.

• Make sure your room is dark. A lighted room can disturb your sleep.
  • Associate your bed with sleeping. Try not to watch TV, listen to the radio or read while in bed.
  • Exercise is good not only for overall heath but for sleep as well.
  • Food before bedtime can also disrupt sleep, so stay away form large meals just before bedtime.
  • Keep your bedroom temperature comfortable..
  • Try to avoid upsetting conversations before bedtime. Stress can play a big role in your inability to sleep well.
  • Try one of the non-drug sleep aids that are available.

Take Care

Tomas

Can't get to sleep?

Haha, my problem is that I refuse to go to sleep unless I'm obligated or just can't stay awake any longer. I read, chat and keep my brain busy - nights are my favourite time :) I sheldom write though, I want to be at my sharpest when I do that.

• Like 2

I have sleep apnea so I have many, many nights of very little sleep. I've tried prescriptions of every kind you can imagine and none of them worked. What DID work was a couple of antihistamines and a couple of melatonin capsules. Thirty minutes later, I can't keep my eyes open.

On nights where even THAT doesn't work, I visit Second Life or any and all of the above suggestions.

May not be of use to you now, but perhaps for future bouts with insomnia, there are these things called 'Moondrops', a homeopathic remedy that worked wonders for me when I was having trouble sleeping. You should be able to find them at most any health food store...

good luck ;-)

-victor

Thanks I'll have to see if I can find that. I appreciate the advice.

I'm having one of those sleepless nights. Someone sedate me. -passes the nearest person a mallet-

Just hit me one good time. :,(

That might be more painful than it is worth. I think some of the others might be worth investigating for both of us. LOL.

Have sex or resort to the ole right hand shuffle.... depending if the other other side of my bed is empty or not! ;) Works every time. :)

Considering how single I am, righty and lefty aren't talking to me any more and it wasn't wearing me out. :wub:

Some suggestions:

• Try to go to bed and wake up at the sames times. a regular routine is helpful for good sleep.
  • Avoid Napping during the day.
  • Avoid stimulants such as caffeine, nicotine or alcohol at least 2 to 3 hours before bedtime.

Don't forget, chocolate has caffeine.

• Make sure your room is dark. A lighted room can disturb your sleep.
  • Associate your bed with sleeping. Try not to watch TV, listen to the radio or read while in bed.
  • Exercise is good not only for overall heath but for sleep as well.
  • Food before bedtime can also disrupt sleep, so stay away form large meals just before bedtime.
  • Keep your bedroom temperature comfortable..
  • Try to avoid upsetting conversations before bedtime. Stress can play a big role in your inability to sleep well.
  • Try one of the non-drug sleep aids that are available.

Take Care

Tomas

Thanks Tomas. Most of those I will try. I wish I could say I could keep to a schedule but my work schedule is rather chaotic. But most of the rest I will try to see if I can adjust when these sort of things come up again.