What do/would you call your significant other?

For me it would be boyfriend unless we were married and then husband. I really don't like the term "partner". It seems too formal and business like to me. What about you guys?

I'd say Husband... I can't stand the word, "Lover," and sometimes Partner seems too formal/downgraded. Depends on the social climate I'm in though, but I'd much rather just call him by his first name.. lol. But, I'm a woman married to a man, so it's pretty acceptable to just say, "Husband." :)

I agree with Krista, Lover is definite NO!. Make's it sound like he a sex partner and nothing more. Generally I say other half or husband interchangeably. We plan to get married this summer, but after 16+ years I think we can use husband even without the formal document. I don't think Partner is too formal, it doesn't bother me and a lot of people use that term - most of them either gay or gay friendly people. My one problem with it is that most people know I am a lawyer and when they hear partner, they assume law partner, so I tend to avoid it.

Boyfriend for now. We're committed to each other, but we don't live together or anything like that. I think if we end up living together and combine our finances and really settle down and such, then I think partner is more appropriate. Partner sounds too long-term and interconnected to be applied to people who don't live together or not been together for a long time.

Edited by TetRefine

Well, I use husband (or with people I know well--hubby :P)

Before that: fiance

Before that: boyfriend (or my guy :P)

To him: sweetie, gorgeous, sexy, etc...the list goes on and on--I'm sure I've made up some too, hehe, depends on my mood. Though, most often I use his name.

But I indirectly call him papa all the time at the moment as that's how I refer to him around our son. :D (Errm, yes, I may have slipped on the indirectly part on occasion :P parent brain = foggy sometimes. )

• Like 1

Doug and I are registered domestic partners in California, so we call ourselves partners. Before that we called ourselves boyfriends. Before that we called ourselves best friends.

In California Domestic Partner is a legal term, but it's two words and too long and too legalistic. So partners is how we describe ourselves and our relationship.

Colin B)

So it's no secret I'm single always have been but if I were in a relationship I'd probably call my boyfriend: boo, honey, babe

Now the twist of fate I meet someone who makes me want to marry him then he'll become my beloved but thats not gonna happen

Well i now live in Mexico where many many people are together and not married (gay as well as straight relationships). In both cases a very common term used is Pareja which technically means... Couple, Mate, Partner or Pair. It is also used singly so i would refer to my parter/lover as follows:

This is Leonardo my pareja. (my mate). Or I could say Leonardo an I are parejas. (are a couple or are partners or are mates)

So here is works really easily and its used the same way in heterosexual nonmarried romantically involved couples or partners. The word pareja is always romantic never used for business or friendship purposes. So partners in business would be socios and partners in friendship or would be compañeros.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Well i now live in Mexico where many many people are together and not married (gay as well as straight relationships). In both cases a very common term used is Pareja which technically means... Couple, Mate, Partner or Pair. It is also used singly so i would refer to my parter/lover as follows:

This is Leonardo my pareja. (my mate). Or I could say Leonardo an I are parejas. (are a couple or are partners or are mates)

So here is works really easily and its used the same way in heterosexual nonmarried romantically involved couples or partners. The word pareja is always romantic never used for business or friendship purposes. So partners in business would be socios and partners in friendship or would be compañeros.

Nice how Spanish(?) separates the 3 so that they are never confused with each other. English has quite a few "grey" areas as I'm sure you're all aware. :P

As for what to call my future S.O. (if I ever get that far :ph34r:), while I agree that "partner" sounds a bit too business like, "husband" seems too archaic (no offense 0:)). When referring to him to someone else, I'd probably just use "significant other" or "boyfriend", and when talking to him directly, it would be on a first-name basis (or nickname if applicable :D).

Edited by thephoenix

I used to call an ex of mine, Alexandra or Alexa because his name is Alexander. Not that he is effeminate, but actually the opposite of it that's why to make him gay-friendly I coined him the feminine term of his name. He calls me Jackie (Jake with a y) because my name is Jake. When he's upset he calls me Dear... when I'm upset I call him, Mister followed by his surname. When I'm really pissed off I call him, Dickhead and he calls me Smartass.

Yeah, we used to love our term of endearments.

I love calling my exes on their feminine names... the other one Jeehjeeh (Jack), Natalie (Nathan), and Olivia (Oliver. It's not like they'd be upset with it, or else I'd kick their asses for complaining because I'm being sweet.

Tough question for me. I've never really liked the term "husband", for reasons I'm still trying to figure out, lover is just NO and while Partner isn't my favorite term, it's probably what I'd use, except an awesome new word is discovered. Get thinking Posted Image

As dorky as it sounds, I call him Woobie. From Peanuts' Linus' security blanket.

lb.

Haha...so off subject, but on the forum title it said "What do/would you call your little buddy"

And It looked like a new topic on what guys use for their pet names for their---err----you know their dick and I just had to click!:P

Oooopsie~

I remember other names I call him. Momo (spawning from Avatar: The Last Airbender), and the natural progression was Momobutt. I tend to make funny names up on the fly, some stick, others (thankfully) do not. Yumyum, Yumyumsauce, Monkeybutt, Lovey, Loveybutt.

Yeah, I have the mental aptitude of a 5 year old. :D

lb.

• Like 1

Okay... I am a huge supporter of Pet Names almost every guy that I've ever got super close to has a little pet name from me that's specific to him. Its kind of my thing... So depending on who my significant other in the future is will change what I call him. I'm a fan of husband though and I'm also a fan of lover... but I really just don't like the term partner... IDK why is sounds weird... or hey, I could just call them by their given name! :D

In the past, I have often used "mon chérie" when referring to a boyfriend in the third person, mostly for love of Creole and Cajun culture. I called my last boyfriend "pup", but not around other people.