Happy Diamond Jubilee to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II

PrivateTim

A milestone that won't be seen again soon and her longevity puts her up there with Queen Victoria and King George III.

I very much respect Queen Elizabeth II for her unwavering dedication and loyalty to her country. She has always held herself to the highest levels of grace and professionalism. She has been involved in no scandals or anything of the sort unlike many public figures today.

It'll be interesting to see if she out-reigns Queen Victoria as the longest reigning monarch in the UK's history.

I very much respect Queen Elizabeth II for her unwavering dedication and loyalty to her country. She has always held herself to the highest levels of grace and professionalism. She has been involved in no scandals or anything of the sort unlike many public figures today.

It'll be interesting to see if she out-reigns Queen Victoria as the longest reigning monarch in the UK's history.

The short answer to that is yes, she doesn't want Charles on the throne. And in any case I believe according to the laws of inheritance, you cannot inherit the crown if you have been divorced. (I could be wrong). William will be our next king, but I can't see her majesty abdicating until William & Kate have a child.

And it's amazing to see so many American's commenting in this thread, I thought you were all die hard republicans ? :lmao:

Edited by Mikelaing74

I presume the inheritance laws have been changed since 1938 - don't forget Charles is divorced and he is first in line to the throne (Anne and Andrew are also divorced but are still in the line of succession).

I'd like to second Mike in thanking our American friends for their kind words, and if it was up to me you'd get to share in the four-day weekend.

Edited by andy021278

Can't be divorced and be King? I think someone forgot to mention that fact to Henry VIII. Edward the VIII wasn't divorced, but wanted to marry a divorcee. That was the difference. Besides, Churchill and others wanted him out of the way because of his pro-Nazi sentiments - Hence George VI.

Can't be divorced and be King? I think someone forgot to mention that fact to Henry VIII. Edward the VIII wasn't divorced, but wanted to marry a divorcee. That was the difference. Besides, Churchill and others wanted him out of the way because of his pro-Nazi sentiments - Hence George VI.

Bill, Henry VIII divorced whilst being king. And Edward VIII abdicated the throne in order to marry Wallace Simpson.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_VIII

Edited by Mikelaing74

I can remember listening to the pomp and circumstance of the coronation in 1952. Since it was an historic event I was allowed to stay up and listen to the broadcast of the events on the shortwave radio. I was 15 at the time and it was after midnight Central Time in the US.

Long live the Queen!!

I'd like to second Mike in thanking our American friends for their kind words, and if it was up to me you'd get to share in the four-day weekend.

We only hate king George, if it was Queen Liz, we would throw a parade for her!

:P

• Site Administrator

I can't explain it....But I'm proud to have Queen Elizabeth II as my head of state Posted Image

She is an amazing woman and has set the standard for how to rule with dignity and grace as well as do it without bringing attention to herself.

God Bless the Queen

Edited by wildone
  • Like 3

I can't explain it....But I'm proud to have Queen Elizabeth II as my head of state Posted Image

She is an amazing woman and has set the standard for how to rule with dignity and grace as well as do it without bringing attention to herself.

God Bless the Queen

I totally agree

Living in London is great; we got to see much of the festivities first hand.

Many of you will know me as an ardent royalist. I have to admit that I got teary-eyed when God Save The Queen was played both during the river procession and the concert last night. When people suggest to me that we become a republic, my first response is always to ask them to name a single president in the world today who you would rather have over the Queen?

To those who are suggesting that Prince Charles cannot inherit, there is not, nor has their ever been a bar on a divorcée becoming monarch. However, even if there was, the fact is that in the eyes of the church, Charles is not divorced but a widower.

And to Bill W who claims that Churchill wanted Edward VIII out of the way.... I think you need to check your history. The Prime Minister at the time was Stanley Baldwin. And despite what recent film adaptations will tell you, Churchill at this time was one of the Duke's few supporters - advocating the formation of a "King's Party" to ensure he could marry and remain on the throne. It was one of the (many, many) good reasons that Churchill was unpopular with the Royal Family until a good few months into his premiership.

That said, back on subject.... God Save The Queen.

• Like 2

A milestone that won't be seen again soon and her longevity puts her up there with Queen Victoria and King George III.

The Diamond Jubelee only happened once before and it was Queen Victoria, or so I heard....

Wasn't it you can't marry a devorcee, not be a devorcee after all how many wives did the founder of the church have?

And the Short Reigning King Edward at the time I beleave was considered an embarressment to the Throne... :I and I don't think he really wanted it.

Yeah, but if we follow the track record of Henry, wouldn't that put Camilla in danger of getting axed, figuratively and literally :P

Queen Elizabeth is a class act, there are few royal heads of state with her poise, integrity, and general disposition anymore. If King William and Queen Kate can be half as good as her, the monarchy should last decades to come.

Anyway, how were the pubs during the Jubilee? Did they have specials on everything except Guiness :D

i know this topic is virtually defunct, but I had to add my bit. I find it interesting. As an Australian AND a Canadian QEII is my "sovereign" twice over. While I can't say I am an ardent royalist, I will admit that I see no reason whatsoever for removing QEII or her descendants from their position as head of state. Firstly the current monarch has done a bloody good job over times that have changed dramatically. Secondly what on earth would either Canada or Australia replace the current system with? Would anyone in their right mind really want the circus of the US or French Presidential elections? Ireland and India seem to do better, but still could anyone name either head of state? and isnt the aim of the head of state to be the personification of the state? so as far as I can see the current system as archaic as it is, works. and frankly that, to me, is the first test!

I still wonder, at times like these, if there will ever be any validation or proof that her father and Czar Nick were, or at least had, a sexual relationship. There were many rumours and one of the reasons perhaps why he did not come to the rescue of his dear cousin. Of course they looked like they could have been brothers, the reason why Queen Victoria was known as the Grandmother of Europe.

We only hate king George, if it was Queen Liz, we would throw a parade for her!

Posted Image

Going Posted Image for a minute, I think that George III was more deserving of our sympathy than antipathy. His "madness" must have been incredibly painful, and in an age where there wasn't much that could be done about it, I'm pretty impressed that he rebounded like he did. That being said, he's probably the monarch I'd least like to spend time with. A boring family man who was a notorious tightwad, I can't imagine that a party he threw would have been much fun. I equate it with going to a Mormon social. Posted Image If they would have had Rice Krispie Treats back then, I'm convinced he would have served them. Posted Image

Now for a fun time, I'll take a Stuart monarch any day of the week. I'm thinking that Charles II would have been the most fun, and he was rumored to be hung like a horse. Posted Image Hey. It's my job to know these things. Posted Image

Edited by Mark Arbour
  • Like 1

Going Posted Image for a minute, I think that George III was more deserving of our sympathy than antipathy. His "madness" must have been incredibly painful, and in an age where there wasn't much that could be done about it, I'm pretty impressed that he rebounded like he did. That being said, he's probably the monarch I'd least like to spend time with. A boring family man who was a notorious tightwad, I can't imagine that a party he threw would have been much fun. I equate it with going to a Mormon social. Posted Image If they would have had Rice Krispie Treats back then, I'm convinced he would have served them. Posted Image

Now for a fun time, I'll take a Stuart monarch any day of the week. I'm thinking that Charles II would have been the most fun, and he was rumored to be hung like a horse. Posted Image Hey. It's my job to know these things. Posted Image

True, including the horse part :D

However, if you really want to have fun, Queen Elizabeth could reclaim the hereditary title of Queen of France :P Wonder if there are still any French Royalists left to support her claim. Imagine how well the French would take it, hehe! Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

True, including the horse part Posted Image

However, if you really want to have fun, Queen Elizabeth could reclaim the hereditary title of Queen of France Posted Image Wonder if there are still any French Royalists left to support her claim. Imagine how well the French would take it, hehe! Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

There are already two lines of claimants to the Throne of France, but regardless the title "King" or "Queen" of France was never claimed by UK monarchs. The actual title was "Ruler of France". The Queen does however claim the title "Duke of Normandy" (Note Duke, not Duchess), and in this guise she continues to rule the channel islands.