Are you ready to trade .... recipes?

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I made this today. :)

http://www.mongolfood.info/en/recipes/tsuivan.html

tsuivan-eat_256_128.jpg

Wow! Looks pretty work-intensive!  But did it taste good?

Yes. :)

And now I'm going to make me some kimchi bokkumbap. I have been craving this food for years yet for some reason never bothered to look up a recipe until now. I totally relate to the young man in the story.

http://www.maangchi.com/recipe/kimchi-bokkeumbap

Here's the recipe:

Kimchi fried rice Kimchi-bokkeumbap 김치볶음밥

This simple, simple dish is super, super tasty. It’s just a few ingredients, but it’s a dish much loved by Koreans.

This version is simple, but you can dress it up with a bit of beef or pork. I posted a version of this recipe a few years ago that included the leftover sauce and drippings from a simple version of bulgogi, but the recipe was without a video. Eventually I made a video for moretraditional bulgogi, and now I made a video for kimchi bokkeumbap too.

Many Koreans also like to put a fried egg on top, but my family prefers this simple version. When my son lived in the school dorm, visits with him were rare. I talked to him on the phone before he came and I asked:

“What food do you miss the most? I’ll make it for you when you come.”

I figured I would need some time to prepare and shop ahead of time, but he answered: “I miss kimchi bokkeumbap.”

“What? That’s it? Is there anything else?”

“Just kimchi bokkeumbap, Mom.”

As you see in this video, you don’t need to prepare much in advance for kimchi bokkeumbap if you have kimchi and rice on hand. So of course I made it for him, along with grilled beef and lots of high protein food. As soon as he came home, I was ready to stir fry. He loved it!

Ingredients
  • 3 bowls steamed rice (3 cups)
  • 1 cup chopped kimchi
  • ¼ cup kimchi juice
  • ¼ cup water
  • 2-3 tablespoons gochujang
  • 3 teaspoons sesame oil
  • 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
  • 1 green onion, chopped
  • 1 tablespoon roasted sesame seeds
  • 1 sheet of kim, roasted and shredded
Directions
  1. Heat up a pan. Add the vegetable oil.
  2. Add the kimchi and stir fry for 1 minute.add-kimchi-590x331.jpg
  3. Add rice, kimchi juice, water, and gochujang. Stir all the ingredients together for about 7 minutes with a wooden spoon.

1. kimchi-juice-590x331.jpg
  2. Add sesame oil and remove from the heat.
  3. Sprinkle with chopped green onion, roasted gim, and sesame seeds. Serve right away.

sesame-seeds1-590x331.jpg

fried-rice-590x332.jpg

Edited by Cynus
  • Like 3

Chili Colorado

chili_colorado.jpg

• Anaheim chiles
  • 1/4 cup oil
  • pounds boneless pork loin, cut into rough 1-inch chunks
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • teaspoon whole cumin seeds
  • medium yellow onion, diced
  • 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro with tender stems
  • 6 cloves garlic, minced
  • tablespoon all purpose flour
  • One 16-ounce can crushed tomatillos
  • cups chicken stock
  • Tortilla chips and lime wedges, for serving

DIRECTIONS

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Coat the Anaheim chiles in 1 tablespoon of oil and roast in the oven until the skin blisters and the peppers soften, about 20 minutes. Remove the chiles from the oven and allow to cool. Once cooled, stem and seed the chiles, keeping the skin on (if there is some charring on the skin it's ok).Chop. 

Heat the remaining oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the pork and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Add the cumin and cook until the pork is golden brown all over, about 15 minutes, stirring as needed. Remove the pork with a slotted spoon and set aside. Lower the heat to medium. Add the chiles, onions, cilantro and garlic to the oil remaining in the pot. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Saute the vegetables, scraping any brown bits from the bottom of the pot, until the onions are soft and golden, about 10 minutes. Stir in the flour and cook until the flour absorbs the excess liquid and is cooked through, about 3 more minutes. Return the browned pork to the pot along with the tomatillos and chicken stock. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cover with the lid. Cook until the pork is tender, about 45 minutes. Uncover and summer until the liquid reduces slightly and the flavors concentrate, about 15 more minutes. Serve with tortilla chips and lime wedges.
Edited by jamessavik
  • Like 3

I've been eating this for 2 weeks now. :o

gcIWm7I.jpg

------

Pozole Roja
------

Meat
1 Pork Shoulder Roast - Cut into chunks and seasoned with salt, pepper, and chili powder (Ancho or Chipotle chili powder)
Olive Oil

Salsa Chipotle
1 can Chipotle Chiles en Adobo
4 cloves of garlic
1 small can of tomato paste

Stew
1 Yellow Onion, sliced
4 cloves of garlic, sliced
2 Tbsp of Oregano
Salt and Pepper

1 cup of baby carrots, whole
1 cup of pumpkin or butternut squash, cubed
1 can yellow hominy
1 cup cooked pinto beans
1 can of sweet corn
1 can of diced tomatoes or 1 cup of diced roma tomatoes
Water to cover

1. In a dutch oven, brown seasoned pork in olive oil until browned. Remove with slotted spoon and set aside. Reserve olive oil and pork drippings in the pot.
2. Sauté onions, garlic, oregano, salt and pepper in reserved fat. Sauté until browned or "caramelized."
3. Either in the dutch oven or in a Crock-Pot put the meat with the sautéed onions and garlic. Put aside and make chipotle paste.

4. In food processor or blender purée chipotle en adobo, garlic and tomato paste. Take the purée and add to meat in the pot.

5. Put in the rest of the ingredients into the pot or Crock-Pot.

6a. For dutch oven: preheat oven to 350F. Cover the pozole and cook in oven for 3-4 hours until pork is fork tender and wants to shred.

6b. In Crock-Pot set pozole to cook overnight for 8 hours.

7. Serve with tortillas and condiments (chili flakes mixed with oregano, diced onions and cilantro)
Edited by MrM
  • Like 3
  • 3 months later...

Ficelles Picardes

Ficelles Picardes are a dish from my part of France, Picardie!

It's really easy and pretty quick to make. 

You can eat one as appetizer or a couple as main course. 

What is a ficelle picarde? It's a crêpe, stuff - with ham, cheese and mushrooms - roll and serve with Bechamel sauce on top.

1. Les crêpes

• flour 250g
  • eggs 4
  • milk 50 cL
  • butter 50g
  • a pinch of salt

There's no sugar/vanilla sugar is this preparation cause the crepes are gonna be use in a salt dish, but you can put half of the dough on the side and put a bit of sugar and/or rhum in it to have as a dessert ;)

Put all the ingredients in a bowl and mix! Let the dough rest for 30 minutes. Easy!

2. The Bechamel sauce.

The Bechamel sauce is really easy and quick to make too. It's use in a lot of dish in France (poule au pot, blanquette de veau...) and it's also use to go with steam cook vegetables as accompaniment sauce for it's low cost. Coming from a farmer family it's not unccommun for us to have steam cook vegetables (potatoes, carrots...) with ham or boil eggs with Bechamel on top.

• milk 25 cL
  • butter 20g
  • flour 2 big spoons
  • salt and pepper

In a big bowl, put the butter to melt 1 minute in the microwave

Add the flour (mix well so as to not have lumps)

Boil the milk and then put it on the flour/butter mix

Add salt and pepper

Back in the microwave for 1 minute

You can add a spoon of sour cream if you want

3. Ficelles Picardes

16298648_656858884439159_891396568895341

Take a crêpe, put a slice of ham in the middle, add mushrooms (previously cut and cook), grated cheese and a little bit of bechamel.

Roll it nice and tight

16265554_656858891105825_584744744718574

Put the Ficelles Picarde in a dish, cover with Bechamel sauce and grated cheese and put in the oven.

Enjoy! :)

• Like 3

Ficelles Picardes

Ficelles Picardes are a dish from my part of France, Picardie!

It's really easy and pretty quick to make. 

You can eat one as appetizer or a couple as main course. 

What is a ficelle picarde? It's a crêpe, stuff - with ham, cheese and mushrooms - roll and serve with Bechamel sauce on top.

1. Les crêpes

• flour 250g
  • eggs 4
  • milk 50 cL
  • butter 50g
  • a pinch of salt

There's no sugar/vanilla sugar is this preparation cause the crepes are gonna be use in a salt dish, but you can put half of the dough on the side and put a bit of sugar and/or rhum in it to have as a dessert ;)

Put all the ingredients in a bowl and mix! Let the dough rest for 30 minutes. Easy!

2. The Bechamel sauce.

The Bechamel sauce is really easy and quick to make too. It's use in a lot of dish in France (poule au pot, blanquette de veau...) and it's also use to go with steam cook vegetables as accompaniment sauce for it's low cost. Coming from a farmer family it's not unccommun for us to have steam cook vegetables (potatoes, carrots...) with ham or boil eggs with Bechamel on top.

• milk 25 cL
  • butter 20g
  • flour 2 big spoons
  • salt and pepper

In a big bowl, put the butter to melt 1 minute in the microwave

Add the flour (mix well so as to not have lumps)

Boil the milk and then put it on the flour/butter mix

Add salt and pepper

Back in the microwave for 1 minute

You can add a spoon of sour cream if you want

3. Ficelles Picardes

16298648_656858884439159_891396568895341

Take a crêpe, put a slice of ham in the middle, add mushrooms (previously cut and cook), grated cheese and a little bit of bechamel.

Roll it nice and tight

16265554_656858891105825_584744744718574

Put the Ficelles Picarde in a dish, cover with Bechamel sauce and grated cheese and put in the oven.

Enjoy! :)

Ooo! Those look so good Clo!

I'll have to whip up a batch of Snowflake's Pancakes and take pictures. The are basically crêpes flavored with cardamom.

• Like 1

Snowflake's Ski Morning Pancakes

Makes about 6 dinner plate sized crêpe pancakes

Ingredients

1/2 cup of white or buckwheat flour
1 tbsp. of ground cardamom powder 
1 tbsp. of protein powder (optional)
2 eggs
1 cup of milk and a little extra to thin the pancake batter out if needed

Condiments

Lingonberry Preserves
Cherry Preserves
Strawberry Greek Yogurt or Whipped Cream or both :P
Cinnamon Sprinkles

Measure flour, cardamom powder, and protein powder into a mixing bowl. Whisk it all together before adding any liquid. You should do this or the cardamom won't blend into the flour right.

Add the two eggs and cup of milk. Whisk this together until you have a batter. The batter should be the consistency of heavy cream. If it is too thick add a little more milk until the mixture is the right texture. If it is too thin add a little bit of flour. Not much though.

unHr2zx.jpg

Heat some butter in a pan on High and put another pan (a bigger one if possible) and put so butter in it too but don't heat it up yet. 

When the butter in the first pan is melted and hot turn the heat down to Medium and poor in about a 1/2 cup or so of batter to coat the bottom of the pan. While the batter is still liquid you can swirl it a bit to cover the whole bottom of the pan without making the pancake too thick. 

Cook for about 5 minutes on Medium to Medium low. While the pancake cooks heat the second pan on Medium until the butter in this pan melts and becomes hot.

When one side is done of the pancake is done carefully invert the pan with the pancake into the second pan so that the wet side flops down into the pan. Finish the pancake off for about 5 more minutes but watch that it doesn't burn. You can turn an edge of the pancake up every now and then to check the color.

fodT1DE.jpg

When done slip the pancake gently out of the second pan onto a plate.

Smear some Lingonberry Preservers onto the pancake and then smear some yogurt or whipped cream over that. Fold the pancake into a nice triangle and then dress with some cherry preserves and the rest of the yogurt or whipped cream. 

Dust all with a little cinnamon. 

CcC6QjM.jpg

Have with coffee, or my personal favorite, vodka and cranberry juice! :D

Enjoy and then go burn it off out on the snow! Move that cute little butt before it gets smacked! :heart:

gv3BAmN.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

As some of you may know, quokka has left GA for health reasons. He took his stories down, but in his blog he still has a recipe. He called it 'Baby Quokkas (Choc Coated Marshmallows)'. Just in case his entire file is wiped I wanted to post it here. If ever you make it (and it does sound yummy) think of him, wish him well and hope that he returns to us some day.

Baby Quokkas (Choc Coated Marshmellows)

200 grams of cooking chocolate
1 Packets of Marshmellows
12 Toothpicks
Wax Paper (Greaseproof Paper)
Packet of Almond Flakes
15ml Bottle of Whisky or Brandy

1/4 fill saucepan with water and bring to a slow simmer.
In a metal mixing bowl, place the broken up pieces of choc into the bowl.
Place the bowl on top of the saucepan to allow the choc to melt, stir occasionally.
Meanwhile place wax paper on a flat baking tray.
Skewer 6 marshmellow pieces with toothpicks & place in a shallow bowl with Brandy or Whisky
Place 6 more marshmellows on bench and gently place a small slot in each one.
Place a Almond slice in each of the marshmellows, then skewer those with toothpicks.
Once the chocholate is fully melted, remove from the heat and dip each of the marshmellows into the chocholate.
Use a teaspoon to spoon the chocholate over the marshmellows to get even coverage.
Place the choc coated marshmellows onto the tray of grease proof paper and place into the freezer until set.
Sit back and enjoy.
Bon Appetite !

Thank you quokka

sandrewn

Edited by sandrewn
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Wow,

I went through all that work of capturing my crepe recipie and film and no one even cared.

Gee thanks.

:/

Edited by MrM
11 minutes ago, MrM said:

Wow,

I went through all that work of capturing my crepe recipie and film and no one even cared.

Gee thanks.

i'm sorry kitty MrM that no one saw this. i just saw this today (9/21/17). i don't make crepes, i always end up with pancakes. but i liked that you added pics! the batter must taste great, it has cardamon in it!  and lingonberry! the recipe looks great.

and to add quokka is back post his stories. 

• Like 1
40 minutes ago, mogwhy said:

i'm sorry kitty MrM that no one saw this. i just saw this today (9/21/17). i don't make crepes, i always end up with pancakes. but i liked that you added pics! the batter must taste great, it has cardamon in it!  and lingonberry! the recipe looks great.

and to add quokka is back post his stories. 

Thank you, @mogwhy. I apologize. I was having a Ru Paul diva moment. Swedish pancake crepes aren't that hard. The trick is the two pan thingie. Trying to flip a crepe takes a lot of practice and a lot of ruined crepes. Flour is too expensive for me to waste it like that these days.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, MrM said:

Wow,

Gee thanks.

It is because of that work that I'm making them on Sunday,  my day off.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, comicfan said:

It is because of that work that I'm making them on Sunday,  my day off.

Yaaay!!! :heart: 

They're really easy if you do the two pan trick. My character Snowflake makes them in the nude but I wouldn't recommend that if you use hot butter. :gikkle:

• Like 1