Are you ready to trade .... recipes?

The recipe!

Okay, but it will take me a while, because I have to convert the measures. I have to right? No g, ml and the like? And for this recipe I make usually five sauces, so...

Okay, but it will take me a while, because I have to convert the measures. I have to right? No g, ml and the like? And for this recipe I make usually five sauces, so...

No need to convert.  I'm a chem person.  I cook in metric.

Don't fret on conversions even us non chem folks can usually convert  :P .

For those granola lovers out there:

DRAGON'S DECADENT GRANOLA

Dry Parts
2-3 cups regular oats (not quick oats)
1/2 cup Wheatgerm
1 tbls ground chia seeds
1 tbls ground flax seeds
1/4 cup sesame seeds*
1/2 cup raw pumpkin seeds*
1/2 cup sunflower seeds*
1/2 cup raw almond (sliced or shaved)*
1/2 cup raw pecans crushed*

Wet Parts
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup agave syrup or 1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tbls molasses
1/2 cup honey
1 tsp real vanilla extract
1/8 tsp salt

Extras
Dried Pineapple*
Dried Cranberries or Raisins or both*
Dried Blueberries*
Shaved Coconut*
Dried Banana Chips (crushed)*

-----------

In a saucepan add wet ingredients, heat on low until blended

In a large glass bowl mix dry and wet ingredients 

Spread parchment paper on a cookie sheet
Spread granola out on a light layer evenly (you made need two cookie sheets)

Bake at 375 until golden brown. Turning every few minutes or so for even cooking 

Do not overbake. Transfer immediately to another bowl at room temperature to stop cooking.

Add Extras.

Mix and enjoy.

*Depending on preference of course  :P

I'm all for a cookbook.  I'm even willing to help organize.

The recipe!

Vegetarian Lasagna

500-750 g pre-cooked lasagna sheets

If I have enough time I make five different sauces:

Béchamel Sauce

Ingredients

100 g butter

7 medium-sized onions, chopped very fine

100 g all-purpose flour

1200 ml whole milk at room temperature

4 bay leafs

4 leafs of mace or freshly grated nutmeg

salt

Add the butter and onion to a large saucepan over medium heat. Season the onions with salt, to taste, and cook until they become translucent and aromatic. Add the flour and cook until the flour and butter resemble wet sand. Gradually, whisk in the milk until incorporated. Add the bay leafs and nutmeg and season with salt, to taste. Slowly bring the milk/flour mixture to a boil, stirring frequently. Be sure that the milk comes to a boil. Once the sauce has thickened, Let it simmer for at least half an hour. (bain-marie) Remove it from the heat. Discard the bay leaf, then strain everything through a sieve, make sure to press as much of the onion though the sieve. If you like the taste of the onions, that is. ;)

Tomato Sauce

Ingredients

chopped tomatoes (can, 800 g drained net weigh)

1 tbsp honey

Cayenne, to taste

Spread the tomatoes in the bottom of a 28 by 35 by 8-cm baking dish, mix them with the honey and the cayenne, to taste.

Portobello Mushroom Sauce

Ingredients

Good olive oil

400 g onions, diced

1000 g Portobello mushrooms, chopped

4 cloves of garlic (or more, if you like), chopped very fine

50 g all-purpose flour

600 ml red wine (dry)

salt

freshly ground black pepper

Heat the oil, then saute the onions until gold brown. Add the mushrooms and the garlic and saute until dark and tender and most of the juice is gone. Add the flour and then gradually whisk the wine until incorporated. Lower the heat, it should still boil, stir until the sauce thickens. Remove from heat and season with salt and pepper, to taste.

Spinarch Sauce:

Ingredients

900 g fresh or frozen spinach, chopped (I prefer creamed spinach)

50 g butter

300 g chopped very fine

4 cloves of garlic, chopped very fine

50 g all-purpose flour

200 ml milk

2 eggs

Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Melt the butter in a large saute pan, saute the onions until gold brown. Add the flour, stir 1-2 min. Remove from heat and whisk the milk, put back and stir until the sauce thickens. Add the spinach, stir then remove from heat, let it cool slightly, then add the eggs, the garlic and season with salt and pepper, to taste.

Cheese Sauce with Italian herbs:

Ingredients

200 ml

4 tbsp fresh mixed Italian herbs, or 2 tbsp dried herbs

100 g spicy cheese (Parmesan, Gruyere) grated

Heat the Béchamel sauce, add cheese and stir until melted. Add herbs.

To assemble the lasagna, spread the tomato sauce in the bottom of a 28 by 35 by 8-cm baking dish. Arrange a layer of noodles on top, then Béchamel sauce, then 1/3 of the mushrooms, then spinach sauce. Repeat until there is no more sauce or no more space. Top with a final layer of noodles and cheese sauce with Italian herbs, and sprinkle with Parmesan.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

Bake the lasagna for 45 minutes, or until the top is browned the sauce is bubbly and hot. Allow to sit at room temperature for 15 minutes and serve hot.

If you have questions, I might have forgotten something, just ask.

Of course you can always combine this with your favorite meat sauce and NOT tell me. ;)

Edited by aditus
  • Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

I had been looking for a good bread pudding recipe. I've found one and have adapted it to suit my needs. I serve this both hot and cold.

Bread Pudding

2 cups of whole milk or half and half. (If you like it really creamy do the half and half)

1/4 cup of butter

2/3 cup of brown sugar

3 eggs

2 teaspoons of cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon of ground nutmeg

1 teaspoon of vanilla

3 cups of bread. ( I prefer to use french bread that I cut up into cubes and dry out the night before)

1/2 cup of raisins (I have also substituted a cup of cubed peach slices or done peaches and raisins. Even done a cup of blueberries. Up to you)

Steps

1) In a medium saucepan, over medium heat, heat the milk (or half and half) just until a film forms over the top. Combine the butter and milk, stirring until butter is completely melted. Cool mixture till it is lukewarm.

2) Combine sugar, eggs, cinnamon, nutmeg and vanilla. Beat with and electric mixer at medium speed for about one minute. Slowly add the milk to the mixture. Preheat oven to 350.

3) Place the bread in a lightly greased  1 1/2 quart casserole dish.

4) Sprinkle in raisins. Pour mixture over bread and allow to sit for five to ten minutes. Stir any pieces that might be dry so everything is equally wet and ready.

5) Place casserole dish into the oven for 45 to 50 minutes or until set.

6) Can serve warm with whipped cream or ice cream or cold.

• Like 1

I had been looking for a good bread pudding recipe. I've found one and have adapted it to suit my needs. I serve this both hot and cold.

Bread Pudding

2 cups of whole milk or half and half. (If you like it really creamy do the half and half)

1/4 cup of butter

2/3 cup of brown sugar

3 eggs

2 teaspoons of cinnamon

1 teaspoon of vanilla

3 cups of bread. ( I prefer to use french bread that I cut up into cubes and dry out the night before)

1/2 cup of raisins (I have also substituted a cup of cubed peach slices or done peaches and raisins. Even done a cup of blueberries. Up to you)

Steps

1) In a medium saucepan, over medium heat, heat the milk (or half and half) just until a film forms over the top. Combine the butter and milk, stirring until butter is completely melted. Cool mixture till it is lukewarm.

2) Combine sugar, eggs, cinnamon, nutmeg and vanilla. Beat with and electric mixer at medium speed for about one minute. Slowly add the milk to the mixture. Preheat oven to 350.

4) Sprinkle in raisins. Pour mixture over bread and allow to sit for five to ten minutes. Stir any pieces that might be dry so everything is equally wet and ready.

This looks really good. I love the idea of peaches and raisins. Thanks for sharing this.

Bread Pudding

1/4 cup of butter

2/3 cup of brown sugar

3 eggs

2 teaspoons of cinnamon

1 teaspoon of vanilla

Steps

The delectable Nigella Lawson recommends adding Ginger Jam to Bread pudding.  She uses slices of bread, rather than cubes, and covers one side with Ginger Jam and another side with butter.  It adds a real "zing".

Who like Cream Puffs?
:D

1 cup cold water
1/2 tsp sugar
1/2 cup butter
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup all-purpose flour
4 eggs

Bring ingredients to a rapid boil, turn down heat and add flour. Stir rapidly until mixture makes a ball that comes away from the side of the pan. Remove from heat, add eggs, one at a time, beating each one in thoroughly before adding the next. Drop dough by spoonfuls in greased muffin pan and twist slightly to give it a peaked effect. Bake in a hot oven (425F) for 25 minutes. Reduce heat to low and with oven door open let it dry for a few minutes. Take it out of the oven, let it cool down, split each puff with a sharp knife and put whip cream in it. Put chocolate icing on the top or melt chocolate with butter and milk in the microwave and put it on the top of each puff. 

Also a recipe from my home country for those who like veggies or are on a diet, and it is also very easy :)

The Hungarian Lecsó

Ingredients: Ingredients:

2 tablespoons bacon grease or oil
1 medium onion, sliced thinly
1 pound banana or Italian or green bell peppers. cut into 1/4-inch strips
3 large very ripe tomatoes, peeled and chopped 
1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons salt 
1 tablespoon sweet Hungarian paprika
Pepperoni sliced up 

In a large skillet, saute the onion in oil over low heat for 5 minutes. Add pepper and cook another 15 minutes. Add tomatoes, sugar, salt and paprika and cook for another 20 minutes then add pepperoni and cook it for another 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until mixture resembles chunky tomato sauce. 

Edited by Lawus
  • Like 2

I've got a Christmas recipes for you coca cola ham amazing.

a joint of gammon

2 bottles of coke

cinnamon sticks

salt and pepper

simple really boil the ham in coke instead of water. After you have finished cooking it drain away the coke and score the ham, stud it with cloves and put it in the oven to roast easy and amazing.

Also a recipe from my home country for those who like veggies or are on a diet, and it is also very easy :)

The Hungarian Lecsó

Ingredients: Ingredients:

2 tablespoons bacon grease or oil
1 medium onion, sliced thinly
1 pound banana or Italian or green bell peppers. cut into 1/4-inch strips
3 large very ripe tomatoes, peeled and chopped 
1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons salt 
1 tablespoon sweet Hungarian paprika

Pepperoni sliced up 

In a large skillet, saute the onion in oil over low heat for 5 minutes. Add pepper and cook another 15 minutes. Add tomatoes, sugar, salt and paprika and cook for another 20 minutes then add pepperoni and cook it for another 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until mixture resembles chunky tomato sauce. 

Oh YUM.  Thanks for sharing!! <3<3

• 1 month later...

Roasted Shrimp with Broccoli and Red Pepper

Serves 4

1 pound large raw shrimp (or 1 1/2 pounds medium), peeled and deveined

5 cups broccoli florets

2 small red peppers, cut in thick slices

2 tablespoons olive oil

2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice

Zest from 1 lemon

pinch salt and pepper

pinch crushed red pepper flakes

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

Blanch the broccoli and red peppers in boiling water for four (4) minutes. Drain and rinse with cold water.

--------OR---------

In a microwave safe bowl, microwave the broccoli and red peppers for five (5) minutes. Rinse with cold water.

Toss the blanched veggies with the shrimp, oil, lemon juice, zest, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes.

Spread everything out on a foil lined shallow baking sheet. Roast In the oven 8 - 10 minutes until shrimp is cooked.

Isn't exactly a recipe - just a fast throw together dinner.

Hubby calls it "Cheaters Scampi"

Prepare a package of frozen fried shrimp ( more depending on how many people you are feeding)

Cook an appropriate amount of pasta  al dente   ( did i spell that right?) 

Saute garlic in butter and toss with the pasta and shrimp.

I'm a big fan of single skillet recipes.  Here's one of my favorites.  Not sure of the provenance.  Maybe an ex?

Chicken Curry and Noodles

Ingredients:

1 T sunflower oil

1 onion, sliced

1 garlic clove, crushed

1 inch gingerroot, grated

1 bunch scallions, sliced

Approx. 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut into small pieces

1-2 T curry paste (depending on how hot you like your curry)

2 cups coconut milk

1.25 cups chicken bouillon

Preparation:

Heat sunflower oil in skillet and add onion, garlic, ginger and scallions.  Stir fry until softened.

Add chicken and curry paste.  Stir fry until chicken is lightly browned.

Stir in coconut milk and bouillon.

Salt and pepper to taste, mixing well.

Bring to a boil and add noodles.

Cover, simmer and stir occasionally until noodles are just tender.

Serve, adding fresh basil and lime juice, optionally.

• Like 2