Black Friday: Love it, Hate it, and Consume it

W_L

Finally woke up from the power nap from 8 AM to 6 PM today. Like millions of other insane, Carnivorous, and Consumerists Americans, I was up from midnight to 6 AM at the malls shopping 'til my feet went limp. This is the first year in my memory that Black Friday has forced open the malls from Midnight forward, which is a welcomed relief as the food court and coffee stands were open (Plus Teavana for those that want hot caffeine concentration in a more flavorful cup).

My sister and I did not expect the crowds that we saw last night. Thousands upon thousands of cars were in the massive parking lot of South Shore Plaza's mall with no parking anywhere in sight. There was a mad rush for parking spot and beeping horns with expletives about the other person's sexual habits :P

When we got in, we started off at Macy's, then proceeded to Express, Banana Republic, Forever 21, Brookstone (I needed the massage from shopping with her and those things are awesome), Lord & Taylor, and Target. A&F and Hollister had sales, but the lines were massive.

Sales were decent, but I suspect that my bank account is going to see a large drop in its total balance soon.

If this midnight shopping mob was any indication, Americans are in a mood to buy again, bringing their kids and babies along (Seriously, there were many kids crying to their parents that they were tired of shopping, but the mothers and fathers pushed them forward. Seems kind of like child abuse to me.)

Black Friday is a day of massive consumption, it's a celebration exalting the modern American's desires: New electronics, New fashions, and New toys (for kids and adults). Who can deny the call of a 60-75% clearance sale with an extra 20% off from Black Friday?

Anyone else wants to share their Black Friday Travels.

• Site Administrator

I went to bed at 12:30 am. I stayed in bed til 8 am. I didn't leave my house this morning. I didn't buy a thing. I may pay a few extra bucks here and there on gifts but criminy, it's worth it not to deal with that shit. Plus my husband left at 6 on Thanksgiving night to go hunting so I'd have had to take my kids and I agree with W_L, that's child abuse!

I went like twice.. the second time I found out that nothing was worth all that hassle. Especially when most of what is sold during black Friday in stores are sold online and days after the black Friday sales. So no, never again.

I was supposed to go shopping but decided against the early hour shopping trip, for multiple reasons besides still being extremely stiff and sore. Y'all could have been like my sister-in-law that lives in Wisconsin. Her and her sisters took all the kids in a limo to do Black Friday shopping. Kids could stay in the car if sleeping or too tired or just wanted to watch TV. A little extravagant in my opinion, but I guess whatever works.

I used to work retail and remember Black Friday rather well. I can't stand the crowds and the hassle and the massive amounts of stupid, so I just stay home.

I went once, 14 years ago, for my sons first christmas, to get him a furby, i vowed never to go again. This year, my daughter asked for a furby...I got it from amazon. I went hunting this morning with my son, was a great way to work off the turkey from yesterday. No cars, no people, no horns honking, was a beautiful morning.

Had to beat up a grandma.

Bitch tried to grab the last sowing machine...my last sowing machine.

What was that ole bat thinking? Taking a play thing away from a young man.. :P

What was that ole bat thinking? Taking a play thing away from a young man.. Posted Image

Ask him how many babies he had to kill for the Yarn? :P