Do newbies not read Dom Luka?

PrivateTim

I know it has been a couple of years since Dom last updated a story, but by my reckoning there have to have been 3,500-5,000 new people join GA and there have to be that many or more lurkers who just read and haven't joined, but there is never any activity in the Domaholics forum. I'd think that someone might read his stories and then go to the forums to give their thoughts on Quinn, Rory, Nelson, Owen and all the other great characters from Dom's imagination because they are just fun characters to talk about.

So do newbies read, but not post in the forums because they think it is dead or have they overlooked Dom?

• Like 1

I've read some of his work (I still count as I newbie, right? :P ); a friend beckoned me into it. I just don't often voice opinion on such things though; a bit shy. >.>

• Like 1

I think it's a vicious cycle, Tim.  Since Dom is no longer posting new chapters, there's no "buzz" about his stories that would be created by readers' comments.  Since the newbies don't see any buzz, they aren't attracted to the stories.  They don't read them.  They don't comment.  It's a never ending cycle.

We should take this opportunity to call newbies' attention to several Dom Luka classics:

Dessert Dropping

The Long Way

In The Fishbowl

The Ordinary Us

Edited by MikeL
  • Like 2

I think Domluka's work will always be read. Just keep an eye on the view count on his stories if it matters that much. But while we're at it, I think everyone who's registered at this site should read The Other Side of Me! One of my favourites.

The Other Side of Me

My other favourite would be In the Fishbowl, but Mike already linked it.

Edited by FishWings
  • Like 1

I think they do read it but they don't post anything since it's so quiet in the forums.

Dom's stories has brought a lot of readers to GA. I came here following Desert Dropping. But my fav is A Long Way. I read it back then when it was still A Log Way. ;) 

Cheers

Ieshwar

• Like 1

I think they do read it but they don't post anything since it's so quiet in the forums.

Dom's stories has brought a lot of readers to GA. I came here following Desert Dropping. But my fav is A Long Way. I read it back then when it was still A Log Way. ;)

Cheers

Ieshwar

I think I will forever associate that story with a log as well.

Log.jpg

Also, his books are on GoodReads so they still get attention I'm sure!

Reading reviews on there it seems like a lot of n00bs don't like the Fishbowl because Owen + Aiden aren't really talked about. Honestly I liked Travis + Dennis a lot better but that might be because I spent a lot of time away from the log way.

Um

I have to be honest, when it has come to the hosted Author's, I've kinda worked my way along a list, and while there is a lot of talk about a few of them, I have not got to some of them as yet.

I do tend to track off to some of the more current stuff, as I have found that I can at least enter into a discussion about the story with the author, which is really cool to be able to do.

It is a shame that many of the hosted Authors are not as active as maybe they used to be at some time, and while I can understand that things change, I do wish I'd been around to get to know some of them. :)

Also I am a slow reader, so maybe don't get around stuff as quickly as some of the other readers out there.

One of the things I love about working on the GA News Blog is being able to highlight stories that some newer members might not know about. Hmm - anyone want to do a review of a Dom story for a future blog entry? We had reviews of Desert Dropping and Under The Mistletoe.  It would be great to showcase any of his other stories with a review!

Fishbowl is probably my favorite of his stories, and I agree - mentally I'll always think of it as "The Lo(n)g Way".  And don't forget his short stories - love Love LOVE his "Valentines Day Goes to the Dog". 

Of course - the other option is someone start going door to door in Colorado, FIND him and get him to start writing again.  Volunteers? :whistle:

• Like 2

One of the things I love about working on the GA News Blog is being able to highlight stories that some newer members might not know about. Hmm - anyone want to do a review of a Dom story for a future blog entry? We had reviews of Desert Dropping and Under The Mistletoe.  It would be great to showcase any of his other stories with a review!

Fishbowl is probably my favorite of his stories, and I agree - mentally I'll always think of it as "The Lo(n)g Way".  And don't forget his short stories - love Love LOVE his "Valentines Day Goes to the Dog". 

Of course - the other option is someone start going door to door in Colorado, FIND him and get him to start writing again.  Volunteers? :whistle:

I VOLUNTEER : D!! I'll probably write one for either TOSM or ITFB and I'll pm it to you in a few weeks.

tumblr_mih5d8v22V1rlfqjbo2_500.gif

I'm sorry I just had to make this edit.

Edited by FishWings
  • Like 2

I say they are, but he's not really updated after the GA Stories switch over. Hosted Authors that don't update after that don't get the readership they would if they wrote. Now newer authors are getting a lot of attention, because their stories are in the process of being posted and not just transported from one to the next. GA Stories also makes it easier to comment on stories than discussion forums, or I think it is easier to leave a comment there than to go into the Author's forum and do it.

I think I will forever associate that story with a log as well.

Log.jpg

Also, his books are on GoodReads so they still get attention I'm sure!

Reading reviews on there it seems like a lot of n00bs don't like the Fishbowl because Owen + Aiden aren't really talked about. Honestly I liked Travis + Dennis a lot better but that might be because I spent a lot of time away from the log way.

Ok, I have to admit I read only the first chapters of ITFB. I refuse to acknowledge that Owen and Aiden split up. It's impossible; it can't happen in my La-La land.  :pinch:  It's Aiden, for God's sake...  :wub:

By the way, was I not oceans away, I would have done door-to-door and find Dom. And I might have kept all his future stories for myself.  :whistle:

Cheers

Ieshwar

Ok, I have to admit I read only the first chapters of ITFB. I refuse to acknowledge that Owen and Aiden split up. It's impossible; it can't happen in my La-La land.  :pinch:  It's Aiden, for God's sake...  :wub:

By the way, was I not oceans away, I would have done door-to-door and find Dom. And I might have kept all his future stories for myself.  :whistle:

Cheers

Ieshwar

Nah you di-int! D: I think the thing about ITFB is I that I pretty much approached it as a non-sequel to the log way (yes I'm going to call it the "log" way forever) and thus let go all of the aiden and owen parts. I must admit, I actually SKIPPED all the aiden + owen angst in ITFB hahaha. It's tricky though -- you have to forget about aiden + owen and remember all that stuff about Dennis in order to enjoy ITFB fully, or maybe that's just me.

I think we should all pool in our money to buy plane tickets to visit Dom and then kidnap him.

• Like 1

• Site Administrator

Well, one issue of having the site for 10 years is that authors come and go in writing.  Real life strikes or they say what they wanted to say.  GA.Stories has made things a lot easier to review and it is right at the source, as Krista mentions.  We started the feature on the blog that Trebs mentioned to hilight some great reading that just may no longer be getting updates.

We have proven, as we slowly repost dkstories stuff that the Hosted Author stories are popular if people get a chance to look at them.

We will continue to promote authors and their great works as we move foward.  We'll find new ways to do this as well.  We will probably slowly backaway from custom forums because the activity is dropping there and to help reduce site complexity.

• Like 3

Completely agree with Myr, writers have real life to deal with and sometimes we leave a story in the middle, then can't get the feeling anymore to continue writing it. I have at least 7 abandoned stories on GA and 1 unfinished play.

(Don't worry guys about "Big Squeeze", I have learned my lesson to write it before you lose it. I am writing the story first, then I am going to send it to the editors. Hope they are still around for the over 100K worth of words and counting. I'll make cliff notes and coffee :P ).

-- you have to forget about aiden + owen and remember all that stuff about Dennis in order to enjoy ITFB fully, or maybe that's just me.

FishWings is right.  The story of Dennis and Travis is a great one.  Dennis' transformation from the earlier book is astounding.  The Aiden/Owen breakup is a bit of a stumbling block.  You pretty much have to accept it or ignore it to enjoy the Dennis/Travis story.  And I did enjoy it.

• Like 1

I think the re-posting of Dan's stories is triggering interest in and of itself simply because his stories are "fresh" for members who weren't here for them previously. Really, any way to direct people to them (besides just telling them to go search the stories out) helps.

As to backing away from author forums, while many may not be terribly active, there's a couple of them that may likely have to be pried from their authors' cold, dead hands if it came to it, if their activity is any indication. 0:):whistle:

I agree with Mike. The forums not only allow the poster to comment on the story, they allow the poster to interact with the author and any other posters. You can't do that with the reviews.

Fishwings is correct about view counts. Dom's not been active at all since GA Stories started and his stuff was transferred over, but he's got some decent view counts. And they can't all be attributed to Vic so someone's reading. :)  It's understandable that, for a newbie, it would be hard to go back to The Ordinary Us's chapter 13 thread and start the discussion going again.Although, if someone did, they'd get a response. Domaholics never die, nor do we fade away.

• Like 4

Actually, in many cases, wouldn't old threads be archived by now anyway? (Meaning, No Replies Allowed.)

I prefer the interactive nature of the forums as well, but given the nature of the site, I can't imagine that reviews would ever be phased out.

• Like 1

Actually, in many cases, wouldn't old threads be archived by now anyway? (Meaning, No Replies Allowed.)

I prefer the interactive nature of the forums as well, but given the nature of the site, I can't imagine that reviews would ever be phased out.

You're right. I'm not sure if the archived rule applies to Hosted Authors, I'll have to check, but that's definitely the case for all other authors. I think discussion forums are a good addition to the reviews but I agree, it can't replace them.

I like the author forums better than the reviews.  I wonder what authors prefer.

I tend to look at it this way.  If someone posts a review of one of my chapters, they're having a conversation primarily with me.  That means that they'll get a response from me, but it's also limited, in that they can say one thing, I can respond once, and then we're done.  There's also no editing function, so if you screw up, it's out there.  

If someone posts in my forum, they're starting a conversation with me and other readers.  I may or may not get involved in the discussion, but I do find it interesting.  

Both have their place; they're just different.  

• Like 1