The Beatles

wildone

• Site Administrator

Okay, I'm opening myself up for a lot of criticism here.

First off I'm a gleek. Second of all the first two weeks of the season were featuring Beatles songs.

This has been the first time in the show's history that I actually fast forwarded through all the songs.

Yes, I hate the Beatles. I have never liked them and I cringe every time someone says that they are the greatest band ever changed music forever around the world.

Sorry, they were not that great, they were the fad at the time in my humble opinion.

So there, I have admitted something that I'm sure will have the hate mail sent to me.

Curious, anyone else feel like this and have been afraid to admit it?

:D

(Please note that I'm not criticizing anyone who does like them, just stating that I don't)

• Like 1

Just because they didn't make YOU throw your panties onto the stage, doesn't mean they aren't a good band Steven. :P

Although, I've never been a fan of them either - dated rock and roll/pop has never been my thing. 

• Site Administrator

Just because they didn't make YOU throw your panties onto the stage, doesn't mean they aren't a good band Steven. :P

Although, I've never been a fan of them either - dated rock and roll/pop has never been my thing. 

Um, it was bra's in that age I do believe. Not until your university days did the whole throwing your panties start up after you did that at a Madonna concert 0:)

I can't decide if you are trying to alienate older members by bashing The Beatles or fit in with the younger crowd by claiming to love Glee. :D

I'm not sure either :P

Edited by wildone

• Site Administrator

I still like the Beatles, but not all of their songs. I've got some Beatles CDs and I've played them to my boys and they preferred the older songs. The later songs were not as impressive to them (or to me). There are still gems there, but, yes, there are some duds, too.

Love the Beatles, love all the music, but the soundalikes on Glee left me cold. I thought they were very perfunctory, corny, and added nothing to the genre. I think the Glee producers are desperately flailing at trying to put energy and life into the show, which is not gonna be easy with one of the leads dead of an overdose. 

I think nothing short of introducing 7 or 8 new (much younger) characters could help. And forgive me, but I'm tired of looking at "high school kids" who are close to 30.

I am a Gleek too *high fives the wildone* :funny:

I didn't litsten to the Beatles when I was younger, it was the 80's and I listened to Music that was popular then.. I started to listen to the Beatles about 10 years ago and I like some of the songs..

Can't wait for the new season of Glee coming to my country..

I didn't care for most of the Glee renditions of the Beatles songs, but when it comes to the Beatles, I guess maybe you had to have been there at the time to appreciate what they accomplished.  If you go back to the pre-Beatles days and look at rock music, it had a good beat, but for the most part it was a lot of repitition.  You can look at some old songs, like the Chuck Berry songs, you'll recognize the same tune a lot of times, but he just used different lyrics.  The Beatles transformed the genre. 

The went through a series of reinventing themselves.  They started out with a basic rock format, but then they grew and diversified.  Even though some of it may have been drug induced, the used a variety of musical instruments and different influences, like Eastern music, and all the other groups of that time ended up doing a lot of the same things to compete with them.  It was a fun time, when you didn't know what they were going to come out with next. 

• Like 1

Well see, this just makes me want to go and listen to them. I bought the box sets, yes two of them, of the remastered stereo and mono recordings when they came out a few years ago. The sound is about as good as you can get on red book CD. You can hear their influence in many modern bands today. Mind you, I was a kid when they were going strong but they manage to please, please me still today.

The only song I ever liked was , "Yesterday".  But, I do like some of the songs more when sung by the Glee kiddos!  lol..I have no problem saying I don't like someone's music. Each to his own in my book.  I love artists that many of my friends refuse to listen to. "shrugs".  They can go home and listen to their own music :P  :o

I really freaked my older cousin out when I asked her what was so great about the beetle bugs.  Don't get me wrong, while i was too young for Shea Stadium and the Ed Sullivan show I still grew up with their music and enjoy it. I just didn't get all the swooning the older gals were doing!

the Beatles marked a sea change in music. Everything changed. It's not like they were the best musicians ever.

They synthesized a lot of the what came before- blues, jazz and rockabilly and created something altogether new.

When made them so remarkable was not their musicianship, but their novelty. Some of their songs were simple and beautiful. A lot of their songs, I don't like.

But they're better than The Rolling Stones.

I appreciate the change that the Beatles brought to the culture of music.  I respect them for their talent.  (Yes, I think they are talented).  But I cannot stand to listen to their music.  It's just...no.  I can't do it.

Yeeeeeeees! YES! YE-HE-HE-HE-ES! Thank you, wildone for having the courage to bring this to light. I can't stand The Beatles either.

Yes, I get it. I know why they are hailed as one of the greatest bands ever and great song writing and bringing big changes to music in a lot of areas, and bla bla bla and that can all go suck it. That's the past. That's what happened.

It doesn't change the fact that when I listen to their muzak it comes off as so twee and self-fellating and ingrating it makes my ears puke. One obvious sign of how much The Beatles suck rotten hairy monkey balls is how much better their music gets when its covered by artists who are far, far more talented than those four liver spots on the wrinkled, hashmarked ass of pop music.

Compare Fiona Apple's Across the Universe to the original and there is no comparison. Fiona Apple's version is gorgeous, it sounds like fine white silk. The Beatles sounds like the guttural moans of a chipmunk masturbating by shoving a tweeting Russian doll up its ass. 

Or compare YMO's version of Day Tripper. YMO's actually sounds trippy and inventive and creative and full of a kind of twisted ironic lack of passion that really elevates the lyrics from slop to sly. The Beatles? I'd rather try to survive on a diet of bird poop and nail files than listen to that listless slug of a song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXnooZKQkqo

One thing that really gets me though is just because they were a kind of a first example of a certain type of pop music success, they tend to suck out the chance that other artists who have a similar amount of impact get of being recognized as such. To be fair, this is not just The Beatles, you also get The Who and The Rolling Stones and Jimmy Hendrix inflated so that they tend to always be the top of lists that critics make, even though there have been amazing artists who have come after them and perhaps deserve more credit than they are given right now.

I can't wait for the generation that worshipped The Beatles to fade away so perhaps their notoriety can be taken down a notch and they can be reassessed as the twee popular band they were who, musically, didn't really do anything all that special compared to the some of the people who came before or after them.

I think I might even hate The Beatles more than Miley Cyrus.

(Please note that I'm not criticizing anyone who does like them, just stating that I don't)

I can't wait for the generation that worshipped The Beatles to fade away so perhaps their notoriety can be taken down a notch and they can be reassessed as the twee popular band they were who, musically, didn't really do anything all that special compared to the some of the people who came before or after them.

The only song I always liked was 'Yellow Submarine', probably because my sis sang it to me as a lullaby. :*):hug:

'I can't wait for the generation that worshipped The Beatles to fade away so perhaps their notoriety can be taken down a notch and they can be reassessed as the twee popular band they were who, musically, didn't really do anything all that special compared to the some of the people who came before or after them.

I think I might even hate The Beatles more than Miley Cyrus.'

There's nothing wrong with hating the Beatles. Anyone is entitled to do that.

BUT

Looking forward to the deaths of the people with a different opinion, so your own opinion might have more validity, seems rather harsh - to put it mildly.

• Like 4

Even after all of the Beatles generation has passed on to the great concert in the sky, the record books will still be around.  I can't say I loved all of their work and they were not as great a rock band as the Rolling Stones, but they have some great songs in their catalogue including "Yesterday,"  "Let it Be," "Eleanor Rigby," "We can work it out", "Help" and more.  

While the Stones were more known as rockers, the Beatles did have better ballads and as someone else mentioned used non-standard instruments and not just guitars and drums and piano.  

Having lived through it all, it was really an English invasion.  

Edited by Daddydavek

I'm looking forward to the day that generation's influence wanes for many reasons: the strongest of which has nothing to do with The Beatles and everything to do with the way that that same generation, where I live, enforced a strict cultural norm as long as you that worked yourself to death for the honor of your country as a noble and honorable thing, the individual should be allowed to have toxic and absurd personal hobbies that could not be in any way, shape or form considered healthy for the soul. While that implies that I'm waiting for them to die, I suppose, it would be closer to say I'm looking forward to moving on from some of the things they've been responsible for implementing as a part of the natural order of things. It could also happen simply through becoming so old their influence is superseded by another generation before they die. And it certainly isn't to validify my opinion, which would be absurd.

The context of that statement comes right after a paragraph where I'm bemoaning that other artists don't get their rightful due in the context of music history because the context of The Beatles looms too large -- naturally in that context the next paragraph reads as a fervent hope that as the people who hold them so highly on a pedestal become less and less influential that "wrong" will be righted. It's less about what I think about music, and more of a desire to see history as a whole gain some perspective on popular music through the passage of time. That's why I feel is kind of disingenous to quote only that part as if that's the only thing I said in that post. I'm pretty certain I also won't like some of the acts that do become more prominent as time goes on, but I'll be glad to see the change come anyway.

I'm sure the very same generation had the very same thoughts about their parents, that they dreamed of the day people wouldn't call this stuff "corrupting the youth" or "the Devil's music" or look down on it as not comparing to their musical lineage. Likewise, I wish for a day that conceited, self-absorbed musicians can't command an army of obsessives to run after them in hysteria and be lauded for it while simultaneously glorifying what is basically an image and popularity contest of who can come off the coolest and helping to make a debauched, drug-filled lifestyle look desirable with the rest of that group of rock bands. I can't wait until today's music finally gets its due and some artists who get written off come into their own spotlight. I can't wait for a whole host of other political and cultural reasons until a lot of the influences brought about by that generation fade into something else, though I'm sure due to the constancy of human nature, it will be replaced by concepts just as fucked up as Beatles mania.

It doesn't mean that I'm waiting for the day my parents and their friends die. It means that I think it rather silly I have to wait until the day my generation has had their kids and turned middle-aged to see that sea change fully ripen into society, by which time it will be too late for me and my generation to fix anything that comes about from it, and our children will gripe and moan about all the political and cultural changes we brought about that they don't like, and so on and so forth, until the end of time.

Edited by thebrinkoftime