Can small tools (get your mind out of the gutter!) used to work on clocks and watches also be used to pick locks?

That was my first thought too. :lol:

But I still think Nathan needs to find out more, before he acts or concludes anything. Nothing worse than not having enough data or your facts wrong.

• Site Moderator

Today, 08:44 AM

(Chapter 21 Review)

Oh yeah! Nathan is showing some gumption and Rother hints of nefarious business deals. Love it! Can you believe it's been 21 weeks since you started posting? Didn't I mention something about Rother running a bordello at one point? Why do I think the click of the lock was the first shot in the firestorm about to explode?

Carlos, if your hypothesis is correct, this would certainly explain Vivian. She would, without doubt, be an eager participant in this enterprise. :gikkle:

Edited by Reader1810
  • Like 1
  • Site Moderator

My review, which suffered from my pc's current habit of missing parts of what I typed, was intended to mean he was working on the broken clock. I would think that was obvious even though 'clk' was all that came through. I don't normally misspell words or misuse to and too.   lol

• Like 1

My review, which suffered from my pc's current habit of missing parts of what I typed, was intended to mean he was working on the broken clock. I would think that was obvious even though 'clk' was all that came through. I don't normally misspell words or misuse to and too.   lol

That makes more sense for sure. :)

• Like 1

Past 7am. Coffee in hand but no I&C chapter to read yet... :(

Today, 08:44 AM

(Chapter 21 Review)

Oh yeah! Nathan is showing some gumption and Rother hints of nefarious business deals. Love it! Can you believe it's been 21 weeks since you started posting? Didn't I mention something about Rother running a bordello at one point? Why do I think the click of the lock was the first shot in the firestorm about to explode?

Carlos, if your hypothesis is correct, this would certainly explain Vivian. She would, without doubt, be an eager participant in this enterprise. :gikkle:

I think there's more to Vivian than being a simple courtesan. But I admit I'm stumped as to where the author's taking us with her. As for the bordello idea, it's just an idea. The possibility of a gaming house shouldn't be entirely discarded. Whatever it is, I think Nathan will be up to his ass in it before too long.

I think there's more to Vivian than being a simple courtesan. But I admit I'm stumped as to where the author's taking us with her. As for the bordello idea, it's just an idea. The possibility of a gaming house shouldn't be entirely discarded. Whatever it is, I think Nathan will be up to his ass in it before too long.

I happen to think the very same thing!   

• Like 2
  • Site Moderator

There is always the possibility it's both :)

As for Vivian? I guess we will have to be patient enough to find out when Mann is good and ready to clue us in.

• Site Moderator

Thanks for the great present, buddy.

In return, I'll stop guessing what's coming, and will refrain from further gloating :D

I knew I liked Rother and Blythe from the moment you introduced them!

Gloating, eh? Is is that what you call it? I was rolling my eyes while the refrain "simmer down Carlos" ran through my mind a time or two.

Of course, I was one of the naysayers regarding Rother's business being a brothel/gambling house so I will give you a pat on the back for guessing the true nature. 

Edited by Reader1810
  • Like 1

Gloating, eh? Is is that what you call it? I was rolling my eyes while the refrain "simmer down Carlos" ran through my mind a time or two.

Of course, I was one of the naysayers regarding Rother's business being a brothel/gambling house so I will give you a pat on the back for guessing the true nature. 

I think Mann and I have similar twisted minds. Wish I could have seen his expression when I suggested the line of business I suspected Rother was in. I think I recall a loud SHIT! coming from the direction of Michigan! :P

• Like 2
  • Site Moderator

I think Mann and I have similar twisted minds. Wish I could have seen his expression when I suggested the line of business I suspected Rother was in. I think I recall a loud SHIT! coming from the direction of Michigan! :P

:lol:

Thanks for the great present, buddy.

In return, I'll stop guessing what's coming, and will refrain from further gloating :D

I knew I liked Rother and Blythe from the moment you introduced them!

Refrain from further gloating you say... You my friend are positively preening.. You earned it though!

Edited by Defiance19
  • Like 2

A reviewer suggested Nathan may have been sold to pay off debts incurred by his father. Now that sounds like a great logical twist to the story.

But I'm going to refrain from further guessing, Mann may decide to rework the story just so I'm not right. And then that would take time away from editing and we don't want that to happen!

I considered sabotaging a chapter or two of CJ's story as punishment. :gikkle:

• Like 1
  • Site Moderator

Since Carlos has "given up" guessing, I guess i shall pick up the gauntlet and carry on in his stead. I mean, guessing is half the fun isn't it?

I am intrigued by a comment Lyssa made in her review of today's chapter. She voiced the idea of Nathan's having been "bought" by Rother to pay of a debt of the father. Could it be that that stuffy and oh so Victorian snobbish Father Dearest (FD for short) was a patron of Rother's establishment and lost big at the Craps table perhaps?

So to kill two birds with one stone (ie. get rid of the family embarrassment) he sold Nathan to Rother to ostensibly pay off his debt (more likely it would be to hide his indiscretions from the wife and keep his reputation in Victorian society intact). I don't recall if FD has a profession that would take him to Francine...heck he may just have snuck there behind wifey's back. 

Anyway, that's my theory of the day...I wonder how close I am to the truth?  :unsure:  :P

• Like 1

Since Carlos has "given up" guessing, I guess i shall pick up the gauntlet and carry on in his stead. I mean, guessing is half the fun isn't it?

I am intrigued by a comment Lyssa made in her review of today's chapter. She voiced the idea of Nathan's having been "bought" by Rother to pay of a debt of the father. Could it be that that stuffy and oh so Victorian snobbish Father Dearest (FD for short) was a patron of Rother's establishment and lost big at the Craps table perhaps?

So to kill two birds with one stone (ie. get rid of the family embarrassment) he sold Nathan to Rother to ostensibly pay off his debt (more likely it would be to hide his indiscretions from the wife and keep his reputation in Victorian society intact). I don't recall if FD has a profession that would take him to Francine...heck he may just have snuck there behind wifey's back. 

Anyway, that's my theory of the day...I wonder how close I am to the truth?  :unsure:  :P

Like I'd answer any of those questions! LOL

:X :X :X :X :X

• Like 2

I don't think I said anything at the time, but I can recall thinking Carlos' suggestion was quite logical, so I wasn't surprised, it was true. In fact, I didn't even notice Reader or anyone else objecting, and I hadn't even considered Mann could be annoyed about anyone pointing out the obvious conclusion on Rother's business. It's only now I'm becoming aware of the above... goes to show how oblivious I am at times. :facepalm:

Oh, and I'm sure gambling and brothels are quite legal and acceptable in Francine, provided all participants are willing. Thus, I hope the guy forcing himself on Nathan will face harsh punishment. :pissed: