• Site Moderator

I don't think we've seen even a fraction of whatever Nathan is really like. And i wholeheartedly expect a HEA ending, I just don't think they'll get there by way of any well laid out road. Maybe a goat trail through the mountains?

Who knows what he laws are like in Francine, but I get the feeling the 'husband' runs the ship and the 'wife' stays quiet and follows along. I can see Nathan breaking with customs and remaking the institution inside the house. Until then, he's NOT Rother's equal and won't be treated as such. No matter how much we may want it to be so.

And for the record, I think Rother has been patient with the boy. So what if all he wants right now is sex. He's entitled to have what he wants, he paid for it  Love a good Alpha who teaches his boy what his place is! :P

Okay, okay.  I surrender because as usual that brain of yours is making sense... :P

PS: I am going to sign off shortly as I am catching a plane soon to go see my brother and his family in MA. Lucky me, I get two Turkey days this year.   :D

I will be back Monday....just in case you were wondering where I disappeared to. Have a great holiday Carlos   :hug::kiss:

Edited by Reader1810
  • Like 2

I don't see Rother being a good Alpha. I see him being a bully and that's not very attractive. Right now, I think he's treating Nathan just as bad as his father. If he ruins the tenative trust Nathan has for him, I guess this marriage will be rather short...

• Like 1

I don't see Rother being a good Alpha. I see him being a bully and that's not very attractive. Right now, I think he's treating Nathan just as bad as his father. If he ruins the tenative trust Nathan has for him, I guess this marriage will be rather short...

I guess we all define Alpha differently. But in the gay world, he's an ALPHA! Nathan may not be entirely happy but he can't end the marriage (if divorce even exists!) He's underage and either his father or his husband decides what happens. He's property!

I guess we all define Alpha differently. But in the gay world, he's an ALPHA! Nathan may not be entirely happy but he can't end the marriage (if divorce even exists!) He's underage and either his father or his husband decides what happens. He's property!

Since Nathan is married, his father has no hold on him, but as was mentioned in a previous chapter: by law the elder in the marriage holds the reins.

And with Nathan's upbringing, can you really see him willing to go through with a divorce? He's used to watching people stay together for life even when they're mismatched.

• Like 2

So, I'm wondering why so many readers appear to expect the relationship between the two characters to be staid, for lack of a better word. Having read most of what the author has published, I don't foresee Rother and Nathan having a lovey dovey, strawberries and cream relationship. Rother appears to be ruthless, in both business and personal relationships. Nathan's nothing but property he's paid whatever price for. They may end up coming to love each other, but I don't think getting to the happy-ever-after, will follow any preconceived ideas about relationships most of us may harbor.

Aren't you glad I'm the reactionary who gets the rest of the readers riled up? Nathan better watch it or he may end up tied to that bed and eventually (when Rather gets tired of the novelty) shared with the household staff! This is not a marriage of equals. Whether it ever becomes one is the mistery to uncover. In the meantime, Rother is the lord and master of the manor. Period.

Isn't that just another way of saying you're a sh*t stirrer.. :P  I will concede though, that we haven't seen yet what Nathan is really like, so who knows what's in store. 

• Like 2

Isn't that just another way of saying you're a sh*t stirrer.. :P  I will concede though, that we haven't seen yet what Nathan is really like, so who knows what's in store. 

:rofl:

You did it again Def! You made me laugh so loud the neighbors are probably wondering what's going on here.

Me? Stir things up? Maybe...

I think I have a slightly different perspective on the relationship than what most people do. Yes, I have my own wish list of what I'd like to see happen, but I'm happy with letting the author serve as tour guide for our exploration of the great universe he's created. I know he won't jump into any lovey-dovey bs right away. There shall be pain. And I for one, can't wait to see it all hit the fan before it's over!

• Like 2

I meant Rother will quickly be bored of an unwilling husband and return him. I don't see Nathan finding their bedroom time very much fun in the near future and even though I maintain Rother is acting like complete bastard, I don't see him forcing himself on anyone.

Because yes, I too believe Nathan will not just shut up and take it. He's a clever one.

• Like 3

Does marriage really come with a return policy? I would think if their marriage dissolved Nathan would have to fend for himself.

Edit: I do agree that Rother's being a selfish arse here.

Edited by impunity

So, the women are ganging up on poor Rother! I see what my job is here.

Nathan may be great one day, but right now he's a product of his upbringing and he ain't fitting in. I like Rother's approach, throw him in the pool with the sharks and he'll sink, swim, or be eaten alive. The silly boy probably expects fidelity too. Ha!

I went back to see what Rother said about why he wanted a husband - or rather a possesion like Nathan:

In business, I am surrounded by immoral people, many of whose motives can't be trusted from one moment to the next. I wanted something pure for once in my life.

So, I guess Nathan should have known he's nothing but a treasured toy, acquired for a specific purpose. Rother doesn't want a companion who is his equal or his friend, nor does he care about Nathan's mental or spiritual well-being. I'm surprised he mentioned liking the fact Nathan had pride, since this is of no use if you're a slave. I don't really know why we expected better from Rother, maybe because he was so different from Nathan's family.

Since I guess Nathan's upbringing will prevent him from cuckcolding Rother in revenge, I hope he will be able to find a way to kill himself painlessly, once the depressing reality of his situation sinks in. But of course I expect Mann to find a better way for Nathan to react, and I certainly hope Nathan finds a way to build his own life independently from Rother. I have no doubt they will stay married and Rother will continue to be the master in the bedroom, but since Rother has his business to attend to, Nathan may be able to find solace in his own skills with mechanical things and perhaps other amusements too. Books, perhaps? 

• Like 1

I have no doubt that Nathan has depth and substance to his personality that will allow him to survive and flourish. Rother may believe that as the older, established partner that he is Lord and Master of his house but Nathan is his equal in strength of character. He may currently treasure Nathan as something pure that he can bend to his desires but I foresee him coming to treasure him as a partner that questions and challenges him as they work towards a shared goal. I think the road will be rocky but it's one they travel together to shared benefit.

• Like 3

I have to agree with Carlos here. Rother is the boss and Nathan while loved and cared for.. is his boy.  I'm in rather the same kind of relationship.. my husb is a very alpha-male and i'm so not. But there is respect in our relationship... and it works for us. Of course Michael didn't buy me... but I can see what Carlos is saying and I can see where Rother might be going.  Theirs will likely never be equal in the normal sense of the word, but there will be love and respect.   And yes, it'll be hot. hehe

• Like 3

I have no doubt that Nathan has depth and substance to his personality that will allow him to survive and flourish. Rother may believe that as the older, established partner that he is Lord and Master of his house but Nathan is his equal in strength of character. He may currently treasure Nathan as something pure that he can bend to his desires but I foresee him coming to treasure him as a partner that questions and challenges him as they work towards a shared goal. I think the road will be rocky but it's one they travel together to shared benefit.

Or, Nathan could decide he enjoys Rother being in charge and bend to his will. Personally, I think it was stupid of Rother to go and marry a virgin. Why the hell would anyone want to marry one? What if they're a lousy lay? It's probably why so many men cheat on their spouses and keep a boy or girls on the side. I sure hope those two don't get all syrupy on us. It'd be hot to have a threeway with the big bruiser Rother has as his assistant.

• Like 1

Theirs will likely never be equal in the normal sense of the word, but there will be love and respect.   And yes, it'll be hot. hehe

You're a true optimist, tim. I hope you're right that one day there will be love and respect between them. Nathan has never had either, so it's nice to indulge in this fantasy. Since Mann is writing the story I guess we may safely do so, but I think in the alternative, darker version Rother would dismiss Nathan the way Carlos and Vivian do, and things would go down hill from there, including sharing Nathan amongst his friends and associates. 

You're a true optimist, tim. I hope you're right that one day there will be love and respect between them. Nathan has never had either, so it's nice to indulge in this fantasy. Since Mann is writing the story I guess we may safely do so, but I think in the alternative, darker version Rother would dismiss Nathan the way Carlos and Vivian do, and things would go down hill from there, including sharing Nathan amongst his friends and associates. 

As much as I want some non-traditional stuff to happen, Canada Tim is probably right in that the two characters will reach equilibrium at some point. Knowing Mann, as Denmark Tim points out, the way there will not be boring, and hopefully neither will be the end result. Vanilla is, for the most part, boring!

The difference is in those words. Love and respect. Not present right now in this marriage. I don't see any problem with Nathan submitting to Rother, if he does so of his own will and it's his choice. Right now, that's not the case. And I don't find Rother's attitude toward Nathan sexy at all. I like Nathan too much for that. To see him hurt is sad.

• Like 3

The difference is in those words. Love and respect. Not present right now in this marriage. I don't see any problem with Nathan submitting to Rother, if he does so of his own will and it's his choice. Right now, that's not the case. And I don't find Rother's attitude toward Nathan sexy at all. I like Nathan too much for that. To see him hurt is sad.

Remember, he has NO choice. Rother can do whatever he wants no matter how much Nathan may object. It's not about anything but who's in charge and in this case it's Rother. And I think he and his attitude are hot!

• Like 1

No but there can be. Rother has his boy ..they need to figure out their roles together. They dont know each other yet. Personally I find Nathan whiny but there's a reason for it and he needs to figure it out. I think he's got the nads to do that.  Rother is attractive to me because he's a powerful man and that's my thing. He's so like my own guy.. 

Easier if you call Tim, Tim and me tim2..  :P

I quite liked Denmark Tim, actually. :lol:  But it's faster to write Tim and tim2. ;)

well you can be who you like dude.. tim2 is fine with me.. Denmark Tim.. yeah. it's sexy.. 

• Like 1

I'm an optimist? Maybe .. but why would Rother go to all this trouble to get and marry a virgin boy/man, and do what he's done so far.. I mean if I was dark Rother, and wanted a virgin I'd have found a local boy, bought and paid for him. had him and be done.  Some things he's done dont make sense to me if that's the case.. the bath (unless he has a virgin in the bath fetish), the way he's spoken to Nathan about how he stood up for himself  and even his patience with Nathan and the clock. Yeah he lost his temper at the end, but he's not used to trying to be patient ... As I said, they dont know each other well enough yet...

• Like 1

My take on these men? Rother was an ass because he's used to being in charge. People may be allowed to question him, but ultimately he is the boss. His decisions are final. He wants that in his relationship as well. Nathan is out of his depth in a big way with a husband who threw him there. He's foundering. Victorian ways won't work, but it's all he knows right now. It'll take him time to find his own balance.

Puppilull is right - submitting to Rother doesn't have to mean being treated like a toy or being disrespected. Being a 'true' Alpha and a good man for your boy involves mutual consideration and respect of boundaries. Alpha man isn't mutually inclusive with being a bully just because you can. Right now Rother isn't being a good man for Nathan because he doesn't know how to be.

Both men have a lot to learn if they want this to be a happy union. I think Nathan is willing to try if Rother has the patience to teach him without ridicule or censure when he expresses an opinion. If either man isn't willing to bend a little Rother might as well send Nathan to a country estate with a clock workshop right now and f#€£ his way through the virgins of Francine or be satisfied with a relationship with a broken husband who is just existing until he dies.

Edited by EagleIsaac
  • Like 4

I hope Nathan is clever enough to seek out Samantha and ask her to explain the household, Rother's business, and as much as she can about Lord Rother himself. I have a feeling she could be a protective 'mother' and the best ally in dealing with everyone and everything around him. Even Rother seems to respect her. :lol:

• Like 5