Anthology Changes Are Coming

Anthology Question  

24 members have voted

1. 1. What prevented you from participating in the anthologies? (Choose all that apply)

• Uninspired by the theme
    • Ran out of time
    • Wrote for a contest and not an anthology
    • The addition of the Author Proof Team
    • Story got too long for the anthology
    • Was focused on current stories
    • Technical Issues
    • Forgot about the anthology
    • Other *please comment and specify*

Renee,

Can we rely on the coming themes and schedule this year or is that changing as well? I'm curious as I have planned things going forward. If they change, I can accommodate. Others may also wonder about changes. 

Thanks! 

• Like 1

Renee,

Can we rely on the coming themes and schedule this year or is that changing as well? I'm curious as I have planned things going forward. If they change, I can accommodate. Others may also wonder about changes. 

Thanks! 

I would assume any changes would take effect from 2017. Nothing else makes much sense.

I've only been a member for two years and only started posting stories in September 2015. I say all this because I have no historical perspective.

I never understood the need for the anthologies and avoided them like the plague. They seemed, to me, an attempt to gin up stories for the site, perhaps begun before there were so many posted. Since GA is now blessed with an abundance of fine stories, these artificial devices struck me as somewhat antediluvian. They actually interfere with the flow of stories posted, as many authors (including me) shy away from posting when the wave of special stories suddenly descends upon us..

But I do learn from my mistakes.

Gary mentioned branching out as a purpose, and that is valid. Thank you, as usual, Gary

With that in mind, I may participate in the future. Although, not being a writer, I compose from the urge to communicate my thoughts, thus the concept of a "topic" is foreign to me. But I'm plucky.

For what it's worth, I think four a year is thoroughly too many.

• Like 1

I would assume any changes would take effect from 2017. Nothing else makes much sense.

Changes will be taking place very soon. I'll be announcing those changes by the end of the month.

seems I was wrong then. OK, we'll await developments with interest.

We never got an answer about the purpose of the Anthologies, but dragon's points are very valid. Perhaps you can use themes (whether contests or anthologies) for periods where story posting is generally slow?

• Like 1

I've only been a member for two years and only started posting stories in September 2015. I say all this because I have no historical perspective.

I never understood the need for the anthologies and avoided them like the plague. They seemed, to me, an attempt to gin up stories for the site, perhaps begun before there were so many posted. Since GA is now blessed with an abundance of fine stories, these artificial devices struck me as somewhat antediluvian. They actually interfere with the flow of stories posted, as many authors (including me) shy away from posting when the wave of special stories suddenly descends upon us..

I'm still not sure why the anthologies are considered "artificial" but whatever.  Although I have not participated recently, I wrote for several of the anthologies (8 of them, actually).  I like them as a writer, because they got me to write and come up with story ideas that I wouldn't have on my own.  It was nice to step away from one of my long, multi-chapter projects and write something that was short and fun.  Some of my favorite stories came from the anthologies and I would hate to see them discontinued.    

Edited by CassieQ
  • Like 3

There are many current reasons for the anthologies, and it's not to add to the story count on GA. One of the biggest reasons is to showcase the authors of the site. With so many authors, it's impossible to showcase all of them, though we do our best using various methods. The anthologies are one of those. Another reason for the anthologies, is to increase our Authors' following. As an example, maybe there's an author who has only written serial stories, but one of the anthology themes pique their interest and they write a short story. That short story can be a way for new readers to give that author a chance that they might not have otherwise. They read it, enjoy it, and go read more of that author's work. Another thing to think about, is I know of multiple times that the site anthologies have helped an author get through a writing slump. They see the theme for an anthology, an idea pops in their head, and they sit down and write it.

There are numerous reasons for the anthologies, and I think many people enjoy writing for them. This poll was created to get an idea of what we can do differently, to see what does prevent authors from participating, and I think we've gotten some good ideas for moving forward. And as I said, we'd already planned on implementing some changes, and had those changes written out, but the various responses here have showed me that we're on the right track.

I like this, Renee. I had no idea the Anthologies were actually for me-to help me, likely others feel the same. I appreciate you posting this because it makes me think of them differently. 

• Site Administrator

I love the anthologies - both reading and participating in them.  I find that they challenge me as a writer and have gotten me through a few writing blocks. I have readers who only read my anthology stories. I am always thrilled to get reviews from people who've never read my work before.  Some of my favorite stories on this site are anthology stories.  

• Like 1

Another thing to think about, is I know of multiple times that the site anthologies have helped an author get through a writing slump. They see the theme for an anthology, an idea pops in their head, and they sit down and write it.

It's interesting to know that the anthologies are looked at with this intent in mind. It seems that I had a different understanding (perhaps delusional) of the purpose. I wasn't looking at the anthologies as a glorified Friday Prompt series, I can tell you. I do realize that the site and the staff try to make GA be as inclusive and encouraging as is possible—which is very commendable—and it's one of the great draws that the site has to offer. I appreciate those two values as I'm sure most do, even the visitors. After all, that's why many of us get drawn in and some of us go on to write; no bad thing. But... We have a weekly prompt series, two each time, and there is the occasional prompt offered by an enthusiastic member, not to mention the poetry prompt. Why then should the anthologies be looked at as such a thing? I have no interest in demeaning the prompts, they serve exactly the purpose you state, and they have been put to excellent and vigorous use. I've made use of them, too. Shouldn't the anthology series be seen as something more?

As you can see, I feel a bit compassionate about the anthology series as being seen as special. I do look forward to what's ahead with great interest. Thank you, Renee for taking the time to seek out ideas and giving the opportunity to express them.

• Like 2

Renee,

Thanks! 

I will at least say that the themes are staying the same, but the schedule is going to be different.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm still a fledgling and trying to get inspiration from the random anthologies. Also, real life is a bit of a clod. :D

At any rate, I'm going to exercise with the prompts and see if I can join the next anthology.

• Like 1