American Versus British English (Containing Examples Of X Rated Words)

I was wondering whether the differences between American and British English pose any problems. It seems to me there are lots of different words and expressions, maybe even the same words that convey different meanings, I don't think spelling is an issue, but I thought it might occur that something gets 'lost in translation'.

Perhaps you would like some examples (just to make you smile). British boys don't jerk or beat off they wank and toss and no one would call you a "mother fucker", but they might call you a "prick".

What do you think?

• Like 1
  • Site Administrator

Something else to consider is jargon within specific professions.  For example, the terminology a British lawyer uses vs. an American lawyer would be different.  I've read a bunch of different stories on this site that are set within different facets of the equestrian world and, as an equestrienne myself, it's very jarring to me to read about an American cowboy using a headcollar vs. a halter, or a numnah vs a saddle pad.  I used to work at a British-run equestrian center, so I am very familiar with the terminology, but not everyone would know what those objects are.  

Getting a beta reader or editor familiar with the country you are planning on writing about would be very helpful to maintain the authenticity of the story.  Like Cia said, even regional differences within the same country can be tricky.  My current story is set in Vermont and I had an additional beta reader for the chapter I just posted since he is familiar with the area and my knowledge is only based on a couple of visits to the area.  I had to make several changes in order to maintain the right flavor of the area.  Even brand names can vary, depending on the region of the US you are in.  I had a beta reader correct my use of Vicks VapoRub (a cream used to help with chest congestion) to VaporRub.  In the US northeast, we drop the "r", whereas in the south (where the beta reader lives), they add the 'r'.  

Edited to add:  A note on the use of the word "pop"...in Western New York state we also call soda "pop".  The rest of the state calls it "soda". ;)  

Edited by Valkyrie
  • Like 3

I'd realized Thorn and I were getting mixed up with our respective dialects--native American English speaker and some one who learned British English as a second language.  But, I really stepped in it by creating Spanish speaking characters from two different dialects, despite the fact that I don't speak Spanish myself.  Google translate only goes so far! 

Something I haven't really played with is the language preference feature in Word.  The version I'm using has 22 dialects of Spanish and 16 dialects of English.  That could cut down on some inconsistencies, at least within standard use of the respective languages.

• Like 4
  • Site Administrator

Most of my stories are set in Australia, but I use an American editor and beta-reader to ensure that the Australian terminology is understandable to an American reader. Where there is doubt, I re-write that section to keep both of us happy. Australia is in the lucky situation where we have so much British and American TV that phrases from both nations can be used here. There are exceptions to that, but it means that an American phrasing is generally plausible for an Australian to use, if that's what's needed to help the readers understand what has been written.

When I set a short story in the USA, I use American spelling and request a higher level of scrutiny from my editor and beta-reader. I'll also sometimes ask another American to beta-read it, though one time I did end up with a problem because of different experiences from two different American beta-readers who lived at opposite ends of the country :D I haven't tried to set a novel in the USA because that would be a significant challenge for me. If I do that (and there's one on the drawing board if I can ever get it off the ground), my intention is to ask an American author to co-write it with me.

• Like 3

Now think of someone whose first language isn't English, like me. I will never get any regional phrasing right or consistent. It would probably end as a patchwork rug from all over the English speaking world. That's why I have/need/love my (American) editor. 

Haha, so true! I tried very hard for years, then I just gave up. Now I rely on LEO's notes for colloquialisms and just battle through the rest.

American English is forever causing me problems, because I've done most of my reading, writing and talking in British English. Add to that the complication of wriitng about teens in high school and you have a recipe for :facepalm: mistakes. Thank God for my beta/editor who saves my ass constantly. :*)

• Like 4

I was amused when I read this in the Urban Dictionary:

arse

Australian, British and Irish word for a person's rear end.

Unlike America, we spell it properly :P

I'm sitting on my arse.

Interesting thing about arse and ass: in American English "ass" is a curse word, "arse" is not.  I could use say "arse" all day in front of students, but the moment I say "ass" they get pissy. 

• Like 4

Interesting thing about arse and ass: in American English "ass" is a curse word, "arse" is not.  I could use say "arse" all day in front of students, but the moment I say "ass" they get pissy.

In 'British' English it depends on the context and how you say it as to whether it's a 'curse word' (swear word in British English ... lol).

So 'you arse' is very mild like saying 'you idiot', but you would more probably say 'arsehole' which is a bit stronger and boardering on swearing, but in certain contexts might just be an amusing comment on something talked about between friends.

Example: "I was aimlessly playing with a one pound coin, flipping and catching it repeatedly. Then, you know what happened? I dropped it and watched as it rolled away out of sight straight down the drain. Impossible to get back."

"You arsehole!" His friend replied.

If you want to be sure it's swearing/cursing (or is that cussing!) you need to add 'fucking', 'you fucking arsehole', but even though it's swearing if you didn't emphasise the word 'fucking' it could still be friendly banter.

I love the English language but I think it's impossible to get all the technicalities of speech 100% correct there are bound to be some things out of context.

• Like 5
  • 2 weeks later...

Australians are notorious for dropping words from their sentences :P

And, yet, you say "lounge room," which is kind of adorable. :rolleyes:

I'm my experience, which includes having spent considerable time on both sides of the Pond and growing up in the Commonwealth, the most difficult terms are those that are used commonly in both countries but with different meanings.

My British husband likes to say that a man wearing pants and a vest looks very different depending on whether he's in the US or the UK.

Flapjacks are another excellent example. And pretty tasty in either country. :P

Edited by impunity
  • Like 5
  • 4 weeks later...

In 'British' English it depends on the context and how you say it as to whether it's a 'curse word' (swear word in British English ... lol).

So 'you arse' is very mild like saying 'you idiot', but you would more probably say 'arsehole' which is a bit stronger and boardering on swearing, but in certain contexts might just be an amusing comment on something talked about between friends.

Example: "I was aimlessly playing with a one pound coin, flipping and catching it repeatedly. Then, you know what happened? I dropped it and watched as it rolled away out of sight straight down the drain. Impossible to get back."

"You arsehole!" His friend replied.

If you want to be sure it's swearing/cursing (or is that cussing!) you need to add 'fucking', 'you fucking arsehole', but even though it's swearing if you didn't emphasise the word 'fucking' it could still be friendly banter.

I love the English language but I think it's impossible to get all the technicalities of speech 100% correct there are bound to be some things out of context.

One might add that in parts of Scotland, the c-word is widely used affectionately, such as saying to your friend, 'Ah, yeh wee c***!' before giving him a hug. Tone of voice is everything.

'Fuck' is of course offensive in the British isles as it is in America, but you're quite likely, especially in Ireland, to hear kindly old ladies use the word 'feck' in every day speech. They'll be scandalised if you say 'shit', though, or 'fuck' with a u. In some places, 'shit' is almost worse than 'fuck'.

I wrote this blog post a while back, about a few mild British curse words and what they actually mean, if anyone's interested.

I've been fairly queen's English with my stories before, but in my latest novel, Storms, I'm writing about working class teens in south London, so I've decided to go more all out on the regionalisms and dialectal words. I've included a glossary to help American readers sort out the words that are different. :P

• Like 4

I like to see the differences between cultures, both language and customs, as an opportunity rather than a problem.  Most of us live by our own national colours and tend to see others cultures as a few steps down the ladder. It can make for some interesting interactions!

On the topic of English, I wouldn't dare to write in an Aussie context - far too complicated! America isn't too bad because the country is well represented on TV and film media. Writing here on GA, I've also come to realise you get a better response when you write in the language of the reader, not just that of your characters or story context. When I use English-isms, I get blank looks. As a vast proportion of reader/members here are American, it makes a difference.
  • Like 3

When possible, I like to try and get a beta-reader who's familiar with the dialect to help sort my ideas if it's out of my personal experience. In Priest & Pariahs, I had Never Surrender read through and help correct Costa's language to be as authentic as possible and she also helped me sort some of his personal characteristics to make him more British. BBC TV programs will only get you so far. LOL

• Like 5

When possible, I like to try and get a beta-reader who's familiar with the dialect to help sort my ideas if it's out of my personal experience. In Priest & Pariahs, I had Never Surrender read through and help correct Costa's language to be as authentic as possible and she also helped me sort some of his personal characteristics to make him more British. BBC TV programs will only get you so far. LOL

I think one of the things we get wrong is the assumption that there only one British accent, even when most American's understand that there's a fuckton of accents here.

• Like 4

I think one of the things we get wrong is the assumption that there only one British accent, even when most American's understand that there's a fuckton of accents here.

You're totally right. Just like in the US, where you live and how you grow up affects your speech even if you're not aware of it. Never and I discussed Costa's background and social standing to fine tune his dialogue before I even started typing. 

• Like 1

I generally try to write in Received Pronunciation when writing my English Lord character. I also inflect it with Oxfordisms and with terms in which the Peerage tend to express things. The senior members of the Royal Family are excellent examples. Not so much the juniors as they enjoy using informal colloquialisms.

I find it most diverting to listen to His Royal Highness, Prince William speak as his phrasiology is most amusing. I am certain that his Grand Ma Ma must have her regal teeth set upon their edges whilst listening to his informalities. Quite diverting indeed, I dare say!

:P

Edited by MrM
  • Like 1
  • 4 months later...

I recently read Philip Keane's books called Tehrakians, and he consistently used the word "drug" as the past tense of "to drag". I would always use "dragged" and I am pretty certain these are the only books where I have seen "drug" used in this way.

I did look it up and it is common usage in Mid-West USA. I found it distracting every time I read it.

• Like 4

I recently read Philip Keane's books called Tehrakians, and he consistently used the word "drug" as the past tense of "to drag". I would always use "dragged" and I am pretty certain these are the only books where I have seen "drug" used in this way.

I did look it up and it is common usage in Mid-West USA. I found it distracting every time I read it.

Dragged is the past tense of drag. It would distracting unless it was how a character spoke, I suppose.
  • Like 1