During the time in which I was writing last night, I ran across a show called "The Cromarties". At first, I didn't want to watch it because it seemed to be another boring reality show. However, once I start to watch it, I began to like the show. Do you ever find yourself distracted by the TV while writing?

www.facebook.com/tooocoool4skoool/

cromarties-e1510346850264.jpg

• Like 3

unless i've been given leave to watch what i want, the tv usually isn't a problem for me.  there aren't many of Phil's shows that i like.

i can, however, be distracted by dogs playing, kids "bonding loudly," or taking care of Phil

i like music, and can be found listening to everything from Rachmaninoff, to Tim Janis, to Lerner and Loewe to Queen

• Like 2

I am very easily distracted (ADD yay)! so I try not to watch television while writing, however the Internet is another story.  To avoid being distracted, I usually listen to music (classical and jazz are my favorites for writing) or try to get away from my computer a while to write long hand.  

• Like 5
  • Site Administrator

My husband has to have the TV on if he's home, even if he's on his phone or ipad. Drives me bonkers, and it took me all last summer to finally break my children (10/13) of that habit when it's just us here at home. If they have another screen on, the TV is OFF. But, on a good day, I have 1-3 people with their devices and/or talking, questions, activities, needs, plus 2 cats and a dog going while I try to write. Or do anything online. I have become the master of ignoring, but when I just can't take it any longer, my ear buds and rock music blaring with a quick beat but not too compelling lyrics making me want to sing along tends to take care of the problem without distracting me too much from what I'm writing. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Like @Cia my husband loves having the TV on when he's home and has got Ali into the habit too. Earphones and semi-loud music are my saviors. However, because I am easily distracted by GA and other online notifications I receive I still work fairly slow unless I put my foot down with myself. I have been known to download the files I need from my cloud storage and then deactivate the computer's internet so I can concentrate without any distractions/temptations. 

Edited by Caz Pedroso
  • Like 3
  • Site Administrator
On 6/6/2018 at 8:32 AM, BHopper2 said:

Yes. I have to have silence, or just instrumental music playing softly, and no one around. Otherwise, I end up in a hot mess.

This is my problem too.  I've got the Piano Guys playing at the moment, in fact.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I am often distracted by the needs of friends, getting dragged all over the place, work, and sex scenes.

• Like 2