The Drop in Centre

• Site Moderator
1 hour ago, Mikiesboy said:

Chili cooking to freeze and eat this week:

2020-08-07.jpg

You’re making me hungry... 

Question: Do you put kidney beans in your chili? If so which brand? My mom doesn’t like Heinz anymore - they changed from how they used to be she thinks, but I don’t know because I haven’t had them in a long while  - so I’m looking for a good alternative . 

• Like 4
Just now, Reader1810 said:

Question: Do you put kidney beans in your chili? If so which brand? My mom doesn’t like Heinz anymore - they changed from how they used to be she thinks, but I don’t know because I haven’t had them in a long while  - so I’m looking for a good alternative . 

If i haven't made my own from dry ... then i use Clic ... it's a Canadian company and i really like all their stuff.    But unico is good too.

• Like 3
  • Love 2
  • Site Moderator
3 minutes ago, Mikiesboy said:

If i haven't made my own from dry ... then i use Clic ... it's a Canadian company and i really like all their stuff.    But unico is good too.

Thanx! 

Maybe, I should try making my own. 🤔

• Like 5

@Reader1810 If your mom doesn't like the regular red kidney beans... Clic does small red beans

Just now, Reader1810 said:

Thanx! 

Maybe, I should try making my own. 🤔

I stopped doing my own until i had the Instant Pot... it was just too much boiling.  But Clic's are nice and don't come in that lined can. If you need a change from the regular kidney beans you can buy light red ones .. or small red beans. They are not kidney beans but are very nice and tender.

• Like 3
  • Love 2
3 minutes ago, kbois said:

Seriously...I'm still full from lunch, and you've got me jonesing for chili. I'm actually looking at Instapots online. 😝

we have the smallest one... makes enough for us with leftovers usually

• Like 5
31 minutes ago, Reader1810 said:

we use pinto beans in ours

13 minutes ago, Mikiesboy said:

Honestly, no matter how long i soaked them and cooked them, they never came out like they do in the pressure cooker.  So i just stopped eventually. Until i got the Pot. So now it makes sense to do them and freeze them.

pintos come out nice and soft and yummy in the IP

5 minutes ago, kbois said:

Seriously...I'm still full from lunch, and you've got me jonesing for chili. I'm actually looking at Instapots online. 😝

those pictures are enticing!

• Like 4
  • Site Moderator
1 minute ago, Mikiesboy said:

we have the smallest one... makes enough for us with leftovers usually

Interesting, that’s exactly what I was just thinking about. Should I get both big and little? Now I’m rethinking my answer to myself. 

• Like 4
13 minutes ago, Mikiesboy said:

Honestly, no matter how long i soaked them and cooked them, they never came out like they do in the pressure cooker.  So i just stopped eventually. Until i got the Pot. So now it makes sense to do them and freeze them.

tim i know you love you instant pot but have you tried the air fryers? we love ours and we fry / reheat lots of food in them. It is surprising that you get fried taste with no oil or if need just a spritz of oil.

• Like 5
48 minutes ago, Reader1810 said:

Interesting, that’s exactly what I was just thinking about. Should I get both big and little? Now I’m rethinking my answer to myself. 

Not sure you'd need two, Reader. I do have two liners .. but just one Pot.

Edited by Mikiesboy
  • Like 5
34 minutes ago, kbois said:

I think I'm going with the 3 quart size. Should be fine for just 3 of us. I have a huge crockpot and a smaller crockpot for making meat sauce and soup. 

Now...opinion needed for those who already have one...which brand is good? Should I just stick with the original Instapot?

(Spellcheck tried to make crockpot into crackpot😄)

I have a real Instant Pot .. that's what I'd recommend.  They have lots of safety features.  We have 2 crockpots as well.  Very rarely ever use them now.  The IP uses less electricity because it is not 'on' all the time. And i'm cheap.. hahaa

• Like 5

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..