Currently Reading (non-GA)

King and the Dragonflies, by Kacen Callender. Scheduled for February 2020. Hopefully, it will be more epic than their last book.

Twelve-year-old Kingston James is sure his brother Khalid has turned into a dragonfly. When Khalid unexpectedly passed away, he shed what was his first skin for another to live down by the bayou in their small Louisiana town. Khalid still visits in dreams, and King must keep these secrets to himself as he watches grief transform his family.

It would be easier if King could talk with his best friend, Sandy Sanders. But just days before he died, Khalid told King to end their friendship, after overhearing a secret about Sandy---that he thinks Sandy might be gay. "You don't want anyone to think you're gay too, do you?"

But when Sandy goes missing, sparking a town-wide search, and King finds his former best friend hiding in a tent in his backyard, he agrees to help Sandy escape from his abusive father, and the two begin an adventure as they build their own private paradise down by the bayou and among the dragonflies. As King's friendship with Sandy is reignited, he's forced to confront questions about himself and the reality of his brother's death.

Edited by Page Scrawler
  • Love 1
  • 1 month later...

Liquor, by Poppy Z. Brite.

New Orleans natives Rickey and G-man are lifetime friends and down-and-out line cooks desperate to make a quick buck. When Rickey concocts the idea of opening a restaurant in their alcohol-loving hometown where every dish packs a spirited punch, they know they're on their way to the bank. With some wheeling and dealing, a slew of great recipes, and a few lucky breaks, Rickey and G-man are soon on their way to opening Liquor, their very own restaurant. But first they need to pacify a local crank who doesn't want to see his neighborhood disturbed, sidestep Rickey's deranged ex-boss, rein in their big-mouth silent partner before he runs amok, and stay afloat in a stew of corruption in a town well known for its bottom feeders.

A manic, spicy romp through the kitchens, back alleys, dive bars, and drug deals of the country's most sublimely ridiculous city, author Poppy Z. Brite masterfully shakes equal parts ambition, scandal, filé powder, cocaine, and murder, and serves Liquor straight up, with a twist.

It's actually #2 in a series, which I didn't realize until I went on Goodreads, because it reads as a stand-alone.   :)

• Love 1

I've read the series, and the stories are a good length but am now listening to them in my truck as I'm driving.  Well researched well written. Jane Auel Earths Children Series, starting with the Clan of the Cave Bear.

"A five-year-old girl, Ayla, who readers come to understand is Cro-Magnon, is orphaned and left homeless by an earthquake that destroys her family's camp. She wanders aimlessly, naked and unable to feed herself, for several days. Having been attacked and nearly killed by a cave lion and suffering from starvation, exhaustion, and infection of her wounds, she collapses, on the verge of death.

The narrative switches to a group of people who call themselves "The Clan" and who we come to understand are Neanderthal, whose cave was destroyed in the earthquake and who are searching for a new home. The medicine woman of the group, Iza, discovers the girl and asks permission from Brun, the head of the Clan, to help the ailing child, despite the child being clearly a member of "the Others," the distrusted antagonists of the Clan. The child is adopted by Iza and her brother Creb. Creb is this group's "Mog-ur" or shaman, despite being deformed as a result of the difficult birth resulting from his abnormally large head and the later loss of an arm and eye after being attacked by a cave bear. The Clan worship spiritual representations of Earthly animals called "totems", who they believe can influence their lives by way of good or bad luck and for whom Mog-ur acts as an intermediary. Brun agrees to allow Iza to treat the dying child and to adopt her only if Creb can discover her personal totem spirit.

Through meditation, Creb comes to believe that the child may be protected by the spirit of the cave lion, a powerful totem that is never given to a woman and only very few men. He cites the cave lion attack the girl experienced shortly before being discovered as proof that its spirit marked her so that she could be adopted into the Clan. The Clan call her Ayla, the closest they can come to pronouncing her birth name. After traveling with them for a while and starting to heal, Ayla wanders away from the group when they stop to discuss what they should do since they haven't found a new home and she discovers a huge, beautiful cave, perfect for their needs; many of the people begin to regard Ayla as lucky, especially since good fortune continues to come their way as she lives among them."

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Snowblind said:

I've read the series, and the stories are a good length but am now listening to them in my truck as I'm driving.  Well researched well written. Jane Auel Earths Children Series, starting with the Clan of the Cave Bear.

I read the first few books when they were initially published, but got bored wth them after a while…

I'm reading Prime, by Poppy Z. Brite. The sequel to Liquor.

Two years after the opening of Liquor, New Orleans chefs Rickey and G-man are immersed in the life of their restaurant, enjoying a loyal cast of diners, and cooking great booze-laced food. All’s well until a bad review in a local paper not-so-subtly hints that their “silent” backer, celebrity chef Lenny Duveteaux, has ulterior motives. When Lenny is accused of serious criminal activity by eccentric D.A. Placide Treat, Rickey and G-man realize it may be time to end their dependence on him.

When Rickey is offered a plum consulting job at a Dallas restaurant, it seems the perfect way to beef up their bank account. But taking the gig will mean a reunion with Cooper Stark, the older chef with whom Rickey shared an unsettling cocaine-fueled encounter back in culinary school, as well as dealing with gung-ho Texas businessman/restaurateur Frank Firestone. At G-man’s urging, Rickey finally accepts the offer and revamps Firestone’s menu to rave reviews.

Home in New Orleans, Rickey has just settled back into his daily kitchen routine when he receives disturbing information that forces his return to Dallas. As Placide Treat’s machinations grow ever more bizarre, G-man learns that there’s more to the story—and that Rickey is in Texas-size danger.

Edited by Page Scrawler
On 11/16/2019 at 5:02 PM, Page Scrawler said:

Liquor, by Poppy Z. Brite.

It's actually #2 in a series, which I didn't realize until I went on Goodreads, because it reads as a stand-alone.   :)

4 minutes ago, Page Scrawler said:

I'm reading Prime, by Poppy Z. Brite. The sequel to to Liquor.

So you skipped the unnamed (by you) first book in the series?
;–)

I started reading @lomax61’s Stroking the Flame after seeing a note that reading its prequel, Kissing the Dragon was not essential. After I got halfway through the currently available chapters, I was informed that I should read the other book first because it provides useful background that makes the characters and situations make more sense. Literally, I could have read the second book without having read the first, but it makes more sense to read them both in order.

It’s a bit like reading The Lord of the Rings trilogy without reading The Hobbit. You can do it and things make sense. But you get a fuller understanding of the situation by reading The Hobbit first.

I can’t recall any series I read where it’s not important to read the first book before the others. Well, maybe The Chronicles of Narnia where the books are usually read out of chronological order.
;–)

• 3 weeks later...

I just finished Wolf Brother, by Michelle Paver.

Six thousand years ago. Evil stalks the land. Only twelve-year-old Torak and his wolf-cub companion can defeat it. Their journey together takes them through deep forests, across giant glaciers, and into dangers they never imagined.

Now I'm starting Spirit Walker, the sequel.

Torak is a boy apart. A boy who can talk to wolves. As the Moon of No Dark waxes large, the clans fall prey to a horrifying sickness. Fear stalks the Forest. The very breath of Spring seems poisoned. No one knows the cause and only Torak can find the cure. His quest takes him across the sea to the mysterious islands of the Seal Clan. Here Torak battles an unseen menace and uncovers a betrayal that will change his life forever.

The books in this series evoke the spirit of Clan of the Cave Bear. The most notable difference is that civilization has evolved into semi-static settlements, though farming and metalworking have yet to be discovered.

• Haha 1
30 minutes ago, Page Scrawler said:

The books in this series evoke the spirit of Clan of the Cave Bear. The most notable difference is that civilization has evolved into semi-static settlements, though farming and metalworking have yet to be discovered.

A YA version of Clan of the Cave Bear (scrubbed clean of all the sex)?
;–)

• 3 weeks later...

A High Five for Glenn Burke, by Phil Bildner. I'm really looking forward to reading this one. It will be released February 11th, 2020.

A sixth-grade boy does a class presentation on Glenn Burke, the inventor of the "high five" and Major League baseball's first openly gay player in the 70's. This project leads the tween on the path to discover some things about himself, as well.

• Love 1

I m just reading a story on nifty called Scars Above My Heart right now. But come the new year I'm probably going to start the Oz series by Baum. I did just finish my annual reading of The Fault In Our Stars

• Love 1
45 minutes ago, Page Scrawler said:

A High Five for Glenn Burke, by Phil Bildner. I'm really looking forward to reading this one. It will be released February 11th, 2020.

A sixth-grade boy does a class presentation on Glenn Burke, the inventor of the "high five" and Major League baseball's first openly gay player in the 70's. This project leads the tween on the path to discover some things about himself, as well.

Glenn_Burke.jpg49736_photo.jpg

glenn-burke-header-1024x577.png

In October 1988, Dusty Baker (future SF Giant’s Manager) hit his 30th home run. Glenn Burke ran onto the field to congratulate his teammate. Burke raised his hand over his head and Baker slapped it. They are widely credited with inventing the high five.

Bay Area native, born in Oakland, played basketball for the Berkeley High Yellow Jackets, LA Dodgers, Oakland A’s. His trade to Oakland was allegedly due to homophobia. A’s Manager Billy Martin was homophobic and he received little playing time.

Burke competed in the Gay Games in track (1982) and in basketball (1986). He played for many years in the SF Gay Softball League. He died of AIDS-related causes in 1995 in San Leandro at 42. (He was 6½ years older than me.)

glennburke_bracco.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

map-placement-2018-HIRES-1.jpg

Glenn Burke was part of the second round of installations. This map appears to be incomplete since Rainbow Honor Walk claims to have honored 44 LGBTQ+s. Glenn’s plaque is on the southwest side of Market Street (near the word ‘street’ in both 17th and Market Streets on the map.

• 2 weeks later...

Fiction: Dune by Frank Herbert

This is one of the classics of Science Fiction. In a galaxy-wide empire, a young boy, Paul Atreides, and his family move to the desert planet, Arrakis, or Dune as it's commonly called. There, Paul will have to meet his destiny, but before he can do that, he and his family will have to survive dangers at every turn.

Nonfiction: The Fate of Rome by Kyle Harper

For years, I've held a deep fascination for the Roman Empire. Naturally, I just had to read.

Kyle Harper explores the roles climate and disease had on the fall of the Roman Empire, two factors that aren't usually the main focus when discussing something this monumental in our history.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Drew Espinosa said:

This is one of the classics of Science Fiction. In a galaxy-wide empire, a young boy, Paul Atreides, and his family move to the desert planet, Arrakis, or Dune as it's commonly called. There, Paul will have to meet his destiny, but before he can do that, he and his family will have to survive dangers at every turn.

For years, I've held a deep fascination for the Roman Empire. Naturally, I just had to read.

Kyle Harper explores the roles climate and disease had on the fall of the Roman Empire, two factors that aren't usually the main focus when discussing something this monumental in our history.

The Dune series is a phenomenal read! 

• Like 2
7 hours ago, Drew Espinosa said:

Color me interested in the Kyle Harper book. Sounds fascinating. And I loved Dune, too!

• Like 3

I didn't make my goal of 30 books last year (ended on 25, so close!) 

But on NYE I finished The Infinite Noise by Lauren Shippen. It's based off of her podcast called, "The Bright Sessions". I couldn't put the book down and finished it in a day. A perfect way to end 2019. 

I'm currently about halfway through The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller. It's her retelling of the Achilles myth, told by Patroclus. A beautifully written love story, which I am loving very much (but I unfortunately know how it ends, so I know my happiness can't last forever!) 

Next on my list: 

1. The Rise and Fall of the Dinosaurs: A New History of a Lost World by Steve Brusatte
  2. I'll be Gone In the Dark: One Woman's Obsessive Search for the Golden State Killer by Michelle McNamara
  3. Re-read the entire Animorphs series, which should be a super fun blast from the past :)
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Martin McLean, Middle School Queen, by Alyssa Zaczek

Seventh-grader Martin McLean has always been surrounded by people who can express themselves. His mother is an artist, his colorful Tío Billy works in theater, and his best friends Carmen and Pickle are outgoing and don’t care what other people think. But Martin can only find the right words when he’s answering a problem at a Mathletes competition—until his tío introduces him to the world of drag. In a swirl of sequins and stilettos, Martin creates his fabulous drag queen alter ego, Lottie León.

As Lottie, he is braver than he’s ever been; but as Martin, he doesn’t have the guts to tell anyone outside of his family about her. Not Carmen and Pickle, not his Mathletes teammates, and definitely not Chris, an eighth-grader who gives Martin butterflies. When Martin discovers that his first-ever drag show is the same night as the most important Mathletes tournament, he realizes that he can only pull off both appearances by revealing his true self to his friends—and channeling his inner drag superstar.

Edited by Page Scrawler
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

All Souls Trilogy by Deborah Harkness

The All Souls Trilogy is a three-book series written by Deborah Harkness, a professor of history who teaches European history and the history of science at the University of Southern California . The first book in the series, A Discovery of Witches was published on February 8, 2011  and became a New York Times Best Seller upon its release. The sequel, Shadow of Night was first published on July 10, 2012. The third book in the series, The Book of Life was published on July 15, 2014 in hardback, e-book, and audiobook.

The books follow the story of a witch named Diana, who is determined to live her life without the influence of magic and a vampire named Matthew Clairmont.  They face many difficulties and are forced to defend themselves and each other against those of their own kind.

Those who know me understand I couldn't resist this series.  Vampires, witches and demons.

There is a  series based on the first book 'Discovery of Witches' on Netflix now.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
32 minutes ago, aditus said:

All Souls Trilogy by Deborah Harkness

The All Souls Trilogy is a three-book series written by Deborah Harkness, a professor of history who teaches European history and the history of science at the University of Southern California . The first book in the series, A Discovery of Witches was published on February 8, 2011  and became a New York Times Best Seller upon its release. The sequel, Shadow of Night was first published on July 10, 2012. The third book in the series, The Book of Life was published on July 15, 2014 in hardback, e-book, and audiobook.

The books follow the story of a witch named Diana, who is determined to live her life without the influence of magic and a vampire named Matthew Clairmont.  They face many difficulties and are forced to defend themselves and each other against those of their own kind.

Those who know me understand I couldn't resist this series.  Vampires, witches and demons.

There is a  series based on the first book 'Discovery of Witches' on Netflix now.

I watched the first season of A Discovery of Witches, and am anxiously awaiting the next season. :) 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, Headstall said:

I watched the first season of A Discovery of Witches, and am anxiously awaiting the next season. :) 

That's why I started to read the books.  ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Autoboyography by Christina Lauren

No summary I can give will do this book justice, so I'll just leave the publisher's summary:

Three years ago, Tanner Scott’s family relocated from California to Utah, a move that nudged the bisexual teen temporarily back into the closet. Now, with one semester of high school to go, and no obstacles between him and out-of-state college freedom, Tanner plans to coast through his remaining classes and clear out of Utah.

But when his best friend Autumn dares him to take Provo High’s prestigious Seminar—where honor roll students diligently toil to draft a book in a semester—Tanner can’t resist going against his better judgment and having a go, if only to prove to Autumn how silly the whole thing is. Writing a book in four months sounds simple. Four months is an eternity.

It turns out, Tanner is only partly right: four months is a long time. After all, it takes only one second for him to notice Sebastian Brother, the Mormon prodigy who sold his own Seminar novel the year before and who now mentors the class. And it takes less than a month for Tanner to fall completely in love with him.

• Love 3