Currently Reading (non-GA)

Floating Twigs, by Charles Tabb

After Jack Turner finds a starving dog while fishing with friends, he talks his alcoholic parents into letting him keep the dog he names Bones, provided Jack can earn the money to care for him. In the process of finding work, Jack meets Hank Pittman, a middle-aged man who lives in a dilapidated school bus at the harbor. A friendship ensues, and Hank becomes the caring father Jack lacks at home despite the fact Hank is hiding his own secrets as he tries to escape his past.

When Jack meets Mrs. Mary Jane Dawson, he starts working as her gardener, but trouble brews in the form of gossip and lies that threaten Jack's relationships with Hank and Mrs. Dawson, as well as Bones's life. After initially ignoring the gossip, Jack finds he must face the lies and discovers love carries with it a responsibility to others. When Hank is accused of a crime he didn't commit, Jack must find a way to convince a jury of the truth, a difficult task when even his own parents refuse to believe him.

• 2 weeks later...

EVrlbBnU4AA2rmg?format=jpg

By the author:

This is a story about my fourteenth year of life as a gay kid at an all-boys rugby-mad Catholic school in regional Queensland. It was a year in which I started to discover who I was, and deeply hated what was revealed. It was a year in which I had my first crush and first devastating heartbreak. It was a year of torment, bullying and betrayal – not just at the hands of my peers, but by adults who were meant to protect me.

And it was a year that almost ended tragically.

Published in March this year.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Page Scrawler said:

Sounds great, thanks Marty. I'm definitely adding this to my birthday wishlist.  :D 

I've just signed up to a free month's trial of Audible and downloaded the audio version of the book as my One Book Free introductory offer. Read by the author.  Once I've listened to it, I'll likely then cancel my subscription, then look for a copy of the book itself (hopefully the price will drop soon).

• Love 1
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Recently I recommended to a friend a book by Alan Dean Foster. It's called Into the Out Of.

It starts off creepy. It ends fantastically. If you like horror done in a way where the monsters are examples of true, unrepentant evil, then this is your book.

I've read it three times over the years, and each time, it makes me take second glances a those small, dark places lurking about the yard and house.

• Love 1
  • Wow 1
1 hour ago, Wayne Gray said:

Recently I recommended to a friend a book by Alan Dean Foster. It's called Into the Out Of.

It starts off creepy. It ends fantastically. If you like horror done in a way where the monsters are examples of true, unrepentant evil, then this is your book.

I've read it three times over the years, and each time, it makes me take second glances a those small, dark places lurking about the yard and house.

Hmm! I don't know this one and after your description I'll definitely look out for it.

I've read stacks of A D Foster, with my favorites being Pip and Flinx series and the Damned, and pretty much enjoy them all.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Palantir said:

Hmm! I don't know this one and after your description I'll definitely look out for it.

I've read stacks of A D Foster, with my favorites being Pip and Flinx series and the Damned, and pretty much enjoy them all.

It's just so well done. Foster always crafts a great read, but Into the Out Of is something else. I hope you find and enjoy it!

• Like 1

How It All Blew Up, by Arvin Ahmadi

Eighteen-year-old Amir Azadi always knew coming out to his Muslim family would be messy--he just didn't think it would end in an airport interrogation room. But when faced with a failed relationship, bullies, and blackmail, running away to Rome is his only option. Right?

Soon, late nights with new friends and dates in the Sistine Chapel start to feel like second nature... until his old life comes knocking on his door. Now, Amir has to tell the whole truth and nothing but the truth to a US Customs officer, or risk losing his hard-won freedom.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

REVIEW

Discovering Love by Rick Beck.

This story was first published in 1997 and like many similar stories from that same era, there is a certain formula or perhaps you might say the recipies have many of the same ingredients. That said, this story is different enough to remark upon, because whilst looking at teenage relationships, the kind of friendships in this story are perhaps more real and honest than in those many other teen romances.

The fictional element of the story can obviously exaggerate the reality, but nevertheless, there seems to be a lot of real life drama and experience in there. As they say, it could have happened that way. A number of life questions are examined about what is a relationship, what is loyalty, how do you live with a group of "friends?" Who are your friends, who might simply be using you, and what is your own role in all this? These are some of the questions that Martin, our protagonist, asks himself, and asks others: "...he was trying to get a better understanding of why men loved men, even if they thought they only loved women."

The road to happiness and fulfilment twists and turns, never straightforward, it holds surprises, revelations, and angst, at each turn and intersection. Over time everyone grows up a little, inevitably, although does everyone change and truly become an adult, or are we stuck forever in the patterns created by our past? You may never have met the kinds of people and situations Martin encounters, or you may have been one of those boys who walked away. Whatever the case, it cannot be denied, even if you never experienced it yourself, that most everything in this story is founded in real life.

As an early work by the author and given the recipe of the epoch you will need to forgive, forget, and get over the lack of editing, along with the amount of graphic sex. For my taste the author was a little heavy handed with the sex, but then again the story is entirely focused on teenage relationships and very much on those sexual experiences. So, you couldn't really have the story without the sex.

This is certainly a story that stands apart from the crowd, and as such is well worth picking up. I enjoyed reading it, it was almost non-putdownable, as I was drawn into the complex relationships of all the characters. The many secondary roles are drawn with skill and enough background description to bring vividly alive the whole story. I would recommend it.

Here is a link: http://iomfats.org/storyshelf/hosted/beck/   I started reading on Castle Roland where it is currently publishing, but switched to IOMFATS as it is complete on there and I couldn't wait.

Leviathan, by Scott Westerfeld. An alternate timeline in history, in which World War I is fought between Clankers and Darwinists, between giant mecha suits and genetically engineered beasts.

With his parents assassinated, Prince Aleksandar of the House of Hapsburg is forced to flee from the combined armies of Germany and the Austro-Hungarian Empire, piloting a two-legged Iron Walker with the aid of his household servants.

Deryn Sharp has a dream: to enter the Air Service and work onboard one of the British Royal Navy's airbeasts---a flying ecosystem fabricated from the "life threads" of a whale, among many other strange creatures. To do this, she'll have to hide her gender and pretend to be a boy---but getting caught would mean her execution.

When these two forces find themselves trapped in the Swiss Alps, they may have no option other than forming an alliance to survive.

Edited by Page Scrawler

Here the Whole Time, by Vitor Martins.

Spoiler

Felipe gets it -- he's fat. Not chubby. Not big-boned. Fat. And he doesn't need anyone to remind him, which is, of course, what everyone does. That's why he's been waiting for this moment ever since the school year began: school break. Finally, he'll be able to spend some time far away from school and the classmates who tease him incessantly. His plans include catching up on his favorite TV shows, finishing his to-be-read pile, and watching YouTube tutorials on skills he'll never actually put into practice.

But things get a little out of hand when Felipe's mom informs him that Caio, the neighbor kid from apartment 57, will be spending the next 15 days with them while his parents are on vacation. Felipe is distraught because A: he's had a crush on Caio since, well, forever, and B: Felipe has a list of body image insecurities and absolutely NO idea how he's going to entertain his neighbor for two full weeks.

Suddenly, the days ahead of him that once promised rest and relaxation (not to mention some epic Netflix bingeing) end up bringing a whirlwind of feelings, forcing Felipe to dive head-first into every unresolved issue he has had with himself -- but maybe, just maybe, he'll manage to win over Caio, too.

Edited by Page Scrawler

Current LGBT Reading for this week:

Light fluff reading:

Top Secret by Sarina Bowen and Elle Kennedy

Interesting modern Romance with a bit of wit and neologism

Darker night time reading:

Dressed for Death by Donna Leon

If you are a mystery story fan, you probably know of the Detective Guido Brunetti series. European readers will know this pretty well, it's a classic in the genre with old fashioned story around the murder of a well connected man, who at first seemed to be a trans prostitute, and that leads the detective into the little explored world of Venice, Italy's LGBT under-belly scene circa 1990's. I appreciate anachronisms and good plots.

Non-LGBT reading:

Leviathan Wakes by  James S.A. Corey

This is the 1st book in the Expanse series of novels, which inspired the Amazon Prime award winning Sci-fi streaming series. I am going to read the entire series up to present book before Season 5 premieres on Amazon. There are LGBT characters in the novel series, but it's not technically LGBT themed.

Edited by W_L

I am going to try reading a new long form gay novel series:

For those who enjoy Tom Clancy styled stories, but want a Gay/Bisexual leading character:

Executive Office series by Tal Bauer, books include:

Enemies of the State

Enemy of my Enemy

Enemy Within

From what I've read of the reviews, this series acts almost like an alternate reality version of Clancy's Jack Ryan universe: there's terrorists, Russian oligarchs, political intrigue, coups from extremists, assassination attempts, along with a gay romance between a future US President and his secret Service Agent/later first gentleman.

The gay romance is only one thread to a larger plot, oh boy, the larger plot is hooking me in. I think @C James would really respect this Texan LGBT author's take on cliffhangers and international level intrigue, the style is very similar and technical details are very good.

I am hoping to really enjoy this series at the same time I am reading the Expanse series mentioned earlier

Edited by W_L
  • 3 weeks later...

I just received "Song of Achilles" from my younger daughter for my birthday. It's by Madeline Miller, and I can't wait to read it, but I'm supposed to wait a few days on her orders... because of Covid germs that might be on the book. :rolleyes:  I think it will be safe, but I'll wear gloves for the first few days so she doesn't lecture me. :)  Has anyone read it?

• Like 1
  • Love 1
On 11/12/2020 at 11:30 PM, W_L said:

Non-LGBT reading:

Leviathan Wakes by  James S.A. Corey

This is the 1st book in the Expanse series of novels, which inspired the Amazon Prime award winning Sci-fi streaming series. I am going to read the entire series up to present book before Season 5 premieres on Amazon. There are LGBT characters in the novel series, but it's not technically LGBT themed.

I've had the first book since it came out on Kindle though the title was correct the book inside was something else entirely. After some time the mistake was rectified but by then I was on to something else. Then the series came out -- I am so impressed by it that I don't feel the need to read the books any time soon. Fortunately, this allows me to read other books in the meantime.

Because You'll Never Meet Me, by Leah Thomas.

Ollie and Moritz are best friends, but they can never meet. Ollie is allergic to electricity. Contact with it causes debilitating seizures. Moritz’s weak heart is kept pumping by an electronic pacemaker. If they ever did meet, Ollie would seize. But Moritz would die without his pacemaker. Both hermits from society, the boys develop a fierce bond through letters that become a lifeline during dark times—as Ollie loses his only friend, Liz, to the normalcy of high school and Moritz deals with a bully set on destroying him.

A story of impossible friendship and hope under strange circumstances, this debut is powerful, dark and humorous in equal measure. These extraordinary voices bring readers into the hearts and minds of two special boys who, like many teens, are just waiting for their moment to shine. 

On 12/2/2020 at 12:28 PM, Ron said:

I've had the first book since it came out on Kindle though the title was correct the book inside was something else entirely. After some time the mistake was rectified but by then I was on to something else. Then the series came out -- I am so impressed by it that I don't feel the need to read the books any time soon. Fortunately, this allows me to read other books in the meantime.

Well, it's blatant in the streaming show that Amos is on the spectrum; though most of his onscreen hookups are female (love queerbating lines) :)

On 12/2/2020 at 10:40 AM, Headstall said:

I just received "Song of Achilles" from my younger daughter for my birthday. It's by Madeline Miller, and I can't wait to read it, but I'm supposed to wait a few days on her orders... because of Covid germs that might be on the book. :rolleyes:  I think it will be safe, but I'll wear gloves for the first few days so she doesn't lecture me. :)  Has anyone read it?

I've heard good things about this book and know the original source material pretty well (Iliad). I was planning on listening to it from Audible.

--------

FYI, I didn't mention this book in my lists, but did mention it in my status update a few weeks ago that I would be looking at this book. Well, I was foolish enough to try it without a recommendation, because I heard "It's one of the Greatest Gay novels of the 21st century so far" by critics, well I am going to ignore book critics for my sanity sake after this.

Right now, I emotionally need to recover from reading 20% of "A Little Life" by Hanya Yanagihara, which reputation as a depression inducing hopeless book is well deserved. To read this book again, I will need to be married to the man of my dreams for a few decades, have grown up kids and grand-kids, and be handcuffed to my partner for a week in a cradling position before I even attempt to read another 20%, it's too depressing even though it's written extremely well.

I can't recommend A Little Life even though I can understand why it's one of the greatest gay fiction novels of the last decade, it has the most depressing topics and bitter realist approach that anyone has pushed. The author went against the grain in 2015, when "It Gets Better" campaign push a message of hope, this novel pushes the other direction, "It can get so much worse" at least as I interpret it from a gay man's perspective.

• Like 1

Recently read Bill Clegg's memoirs 'Portrait of the Addict as a Young Man' and the sequel '90 Days'. (Just discovered that both books are available in one by now).
I'm a total sucker for well-written (gay) first person memoirs (also: Augusten Burroughs) and Bill Clegg's memoirs on battling crack addiction totally fit my bill :).
Gritty, vulnerable, courageous, - and of course (well, to me): entertaining.

[speaking of Augusten Burroughs: just re-read 'Lust and Wonder' - thoroughly enjoyable]

Edited by JParker
  • 3 weeks later...

My son got me hooked on 'Ready Player One' by Ernest Cline when we went on our trip a couple of years ago, so he sent me 'Ready Player Two' for Christmas.  If you enjoyed the first book then you should read the sequel - I'm hooked.   If not, you might want to check them both out.