Recipes Worth Trying

6 minutes ago, Mikiesboy said:

Wow, how interesting!  Thanks for sharing that.

Mike, get ready for some Instant Pot apple surprises!
;–)

Just now, droughtquake said:

Mike, get ready for some Instant Pot apple surprises!
;–)

Luckily He likes surprises and apples ... :)

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Haha 2
1 minute ago, Mikiesboy said:

Luckily He likes surprises and apples ... :)

…With bacon?
;–)

1 minute ago, Kitt said:

Everything's better with bacon!

Unless you keep Kosher or Halal.

(Sorry, I hate raisins, except in the California Raisin ads, and I don’t drink alcohol.)

1 minute ago, droughtquake said:

(Sorry, I hate raisins, except in the California Raisin ads, and I don’t drink alcohol.)

This can be done with cooked bananas too. Just Cook them in the liquor and some sugar and Done🍌

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
38 minutes ago, droughtquake said:

…With bacon?
;–)

We don't eat a lot of bacon.. we had some this year once. But He likes it..

• Like 3
  • Love 2

@Reader1810  I think a combination of Pink Lady and Fuji would be a good start. The Pink Lady has a fairly hi acid level that makes it have a slightly tart but pleasant flavor. The Fuji is higher sugar and a sweeter but mild flavor.  The combination of the two will tend to give you a sweeter version of the Pink Lady flavor. The best thing about this is that you can experiment without fear. Any combination of apples will give a unique flavor and the worst thing is it may be a little to tart which you can cure with a little sweetener of your choice. I like the yellow packaged artificial sweetener. You can cook with it and it is still sweet. I know artificial sweeteners very well as I am a type 1 diabetic and have been since 1981 and I still love my fruit treats. I learned from my mother and am still holding the torch for fruit treats. Nothing beats a fresh peach cobbler made from O'Henery and Hale peaches. Ok, now I am drooling.....  One other thing is to use whatever variety of fruits you have available. The specific varieties I mention are not very available in stores. In our orchards we have an extremely large number of varieties we sell at our roadside fruit stand. We have over 400 different apple varieties and if you add all the fruits from early cherries to late apples I would estimate that we grow well over 800 different tree fruit varieties. This gives me an almost unlimited choice of fruit. I do tend to lean towards the older varieties mainly because I find the flavors to be better. The newer market varieties have been designed to be long storing while keeping their firmness and appearance. Unfortunately the fruit flavor takes second place in many cases. For example, the Spitzenburg I mentioned in my first post is believed to have come from Europe, probably Holland area. It is a very old variety dating easily to the early 1400's and most likely much earlier. This apple has a very distinct flavor, but suffers from a low pressure structure (soft at best and mush if overripe) and it also has a very hi attraction level to the Coddling moth which is the source if apple worms. This makes the apple unjustifiably difficult to produce on a commercial level. Poor storage potential and high pest cullage makes it a NO GO commercially. OK, I have rambled on about fruit and honestly I have no special recipes to offer. All I can say is a scratch crust, a few apples of choice, a large bit of butter, cinnamon and sweetener to taste. Into a 325 F oven for about 45 minutes. Cool, cut add Ice cream of choice, serve and go nuts :D

• Love 1
  • Haha 1
22 hours ago, Talo Segura said:

I haven't made this in a very long time, but it is simple.

Take a large cooking apple

Remove the core to leave a nice empty space in the middle

Stuff the apple with peanut butter (crunchy or smooth, I prefer crunchy)

Pop it on some grease proof paper and put in the oven to bake

Mmm, delicious! 

Of course you can stuff apples (just like potatoes) with anything, just don't burn them... 

This sounds like a treat that would be outstanding with a Rome apple. The Rome has a very white flesh and a dark red skin. When baked the red skin color migrates into the white apple and is beautiful when sliced and served. You get both a very appealing visual and outstanding flavor!!!  @Talo Segura I have never tried peanut butter, but it sounds very good and is on my list of things to try this fall when the fruit is ripe and fresh.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
13 minutes ago, wenmale64 said:

The newer market varieties have been designed to be long storing while keeping their firmness and appearance.

One of the things I miss most from childhood in San Diego is the too-ripe-to-ship-to-market strawberries that a farmer family-friend used to bring us every year. (I’m sure the small farm is long gone and replaced with housing since the surrounding area was developed even in the late Seventies.) My mother used to make homemade strawberry jam with the oh-so-ripe berries!

Oddly enough, she never complained about making the jam like she did when canning tomatoes (supplied by different farmer family friends) on ‘the hottest day of the year!’

• Site Moderator
34 minutes ago, wenmale64 said:

We have over 400 different apple varieties and if you add all the fruits from early cherries to late apples I would estimate that we grow well over 800 different tree fruit varieties. This gives me an almost unlimited choice of fruit.

Just thinking about all that fruit, I wish I was your neighbour. Ah well...

• Haha 2

With all this talk of apples, I thought I would share an apple recipe or two with everyone. The syrup tastes like apple pie. Pumpkin Spice had better watch its back.  :gikkle:

Apple Pancakes with Apple Cider Syrup

For the Pancakes:

1 ½ c. Honeycrisp Apples, peeled and diced

2 tbsp. Butter

2 tbsp. Sugar

2 c. flour

¼ c. sugar

3 tsp. Baking powder

½ tsp. Salt

4 tbsp. Butter, melted and more for griddle

2 tsp. Vanilla extract

1 ¾ c. whole milk

1 tsp. Cinnamon

⅛ tsp. Nutmeg

For the Syrup:

½ c. sugar

½ c. brown sugar

2 tbsp. Cornstarch

2 tsp. Cinnamon

⅛ tsp. Nutmeg

2 c. apple cider

2 tbsp. Lemon juice

½ tsp. Vanilla extract

¼ c. butter

To prepare the syrup:

Combine all ingredients except the butter and vanilla extract in a saucepan and bring to a light boil. Cook for 5 - 10 minutes until thick. Stir in vanilla and butter until smooth. Store in a Mason jar if not using right away.

For the pancakes:

1. On medium heat, melt the 2 tbsp butter in a medium pan. Add the apples and 2 tbsp sugar. Cook for 10 minutes until apples are soft-cooked through. Pour into a bowl and moderately mash the apples. (Some chunks should remain.) Set aside.

2. In a large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients. Pour in the milk, vanilla extract, and melted butter. Stir until well-mixed. Fold in the mashed apples.

3. Heat the griddle on 350 Degrees and melt 1 tbsp butter. Pour 1/2 cup of pancake batter onto the griddle and allow to cook on one side for 3 minutes. Flip and cook on the other side for 3 minutes. Repeat until batter is finished. Top with Apple Cider syrup.

Edited by Page Scrawler
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Wow 1
  • 4 weeks later...

SPAM and Eggs over Rice

Ingredients:

4 Cups of rice

1/4 Cup of soy sauce

2 Tbsp rice vinegar

1 Tbsp sugar

1 Tbsp fish sauce

1 can of SPAM

8 Eggs

Cooking Spray

Salt and Pepper

Chives or green onions, finely sliced (optional)

Preparation:

1. Cook rice according to package directions.

2. While the rice is cooking, combine soy sauce, fish sauce, sugar, and rice vinegar to form a marinade.

3. Cut the SPAM into 1/2 inch cubes and add to the marinade.

4. With 10 minutes' time remaining on the rice, whisk the eggs in a bowl with salt and pepper.

5. Coat a non-stick skillet with cooking spray and scramble the eggs on Medium-High heat. Remove from the skillet when the eggs are fully cooked.

6. Using a slotted spoon, remove the SPAM from the marinade and saute in the same skillet until all sides are browned and crispy.

7. Scoop the rice onto plates or in bowls. Top with SPAM and scrambled eggs. Use green onions or chives for garnish, if desired.

Edited by Page Scrawler
  • 3 weeks later...

Okay, so this one isn't a recipe, but a weird realization I have made recently.

Oatmeal. I've been eating more of it to get the positive impact on my cholesterol levels.

Well, earlier in the week I had a lunch meeting, and very little time to prepare anything. I deeply wanted hash, and was sorta whinging in my own mind how I didn't have time to fry the potatoes long enough to make it. I don't know why, but oatmeal popped into my head as a potential substitute.

I tossed about 1/3 of a cup dry oats into a hot, cast-iron pan, let it toast a bit, then added a pad of butter, and a slug of olive oil. The brown oats soaked up the fats, and smelled great. Then I moved the oats to one side, and added two finely chopped slices of bacon (you can see I need all the help with cholesterol control I can get). Fried them up until almost crispy, and mixed it all together.

Once a few minutes had passed, I added hemp nuts (great little things - think bigger, softer flax seeds), and then stirred in some Greek yogurt, and topped it with a fried egg.

Presto. Oat hash. I made my meeting, and found a new way to really and truly enjoy oats. We're going camping soon (god, I hope we don't have to cancel), and cooking oats this way will feature in my choices of meals.

I'm not afraid to experiment with stuff. After I did, I tried finding similar things online, but didn't. Apparently oatmeal hash is just too cutting edge for the rest of the world. 😄

Edited by Wayne Gray
  • Like 2
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Wayne Gray said:

I'm not afraid to experiment with stuff. After I did, I tried finding similar things online, but didn't. Apparently oatmeal hash is just too cutting edge for the rest of the world.

Sounds great. Oats are wonderful things.  I often grind oats into flour in the food processor and use that rather than breadcrumbs in various things.

I do like the sounds of the fried oat hash however.  Yum.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
Just now, Mikiesboy said:

Sounds great. Oats are wonderful things.  I often grind oats into flour in the food processor and use that rather than breadcrumbs in various things.

I do like the sounds of the fried oat hash however.  Yum.

It was tasty. Frankly, oats have no right tasting that good.

• Love 1
  • Haha 1
Just now, Wayne Gray said:

It was tasty. Frankly, oats have no right tasting that good.

Yes they do.. oatmeal, overnight muesli, ground, fried.. whatever, oats are your friend.

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

Brussels Sprouts Gratin

Prep Time: 15 minutes Cook Time: 30 minutes Total Time: 45 minutes Servings: 4

Ingredients

1 pound Brussels sprouts

1 clove garlic (cut in half)

3 tablespoons butter (divided)

2 tablespoons minced shallots

2 tablespoons all-purpose flour

1/2 teaspoon kosher salt (or to taste)

1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Dash ground nutmeg

1 cup milk or half-and-half

1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded Fontina cheese

1 or 2 strips of bacon (cooked and crumbled)

1/2 cup fine soft bread crumbs

Preparation:

1. Heat the oven to 400 F (200 C/Gas 6)

2. Cut off the core ends of the Brussels sprouts. Remove loose outer leaves and any damaged or discolored leaves. Quarter or halve the sprouts lengthwise. Rinse well under cold running water.

3. Rub a 1 to 1 1/2-quart gratin dish or baking dish with the cut side of the garlic halves. Spray with nonstick cooking spray or lightly butter the dish.

4. Bring a large saucepan of salted water to a boil. Add the Brussels sprouts and boil for 3 minutes. Drain and set aside.

5. In a medium saucepan or saucier over medium-low heat, melt 2 tablespoons of the butter. Add the minced shallots and saute, stirring, until then are translucent. Add the flour, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, the pepper, and nutmeg to the saucepan and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes longer. Gradually stir in the milk or half-and-half. Continue cooking, stirring, until the sauce has thickened. Stir in the shredded cheese and bacon and cook, stirring until the cheese has melted.

6. Gently fold the Brussels sprouts into the sauce. Spoon the mixture into the prepared baking dish.

7. Melt the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter and toss with the bread crumbs. Sprinkle over the casserole. Bake the casserole for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the topping is nicely browned and the filling is bubbling.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...