Jump to content
    astone2292
  • Author
  • 2,777 Words
  • 4,497 Views
  • 19 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Love in the Shadows - 16. Chapter 16: Literary Lacerations

Twenty-one years ago. A time where Mason was more concerned with playing in the woods than leading a shapeshifter pack. A time before Vincent lost his parents. Cellular phones were still in the process of being popularized and Bill Clinton was in the impeachment process. The Owensville County Pack, led by Police Chief and Alpha Leidolf Wilson, stood as one of the more respected smaller packs in the Midwestern United States.

“Have a great day at work, Ellie.”

Her mate’s kiss was brief, but sensual as always. Breaking away, Elaine was drawn to the alpha’s brown eyes. “You do the same. Did you want to have lunch together?”

“Of course. Just name the time and place.”

“JD’s at one?”

“Perfect. I’ll swing by and pick you up. And I won’t forget to drop Mason off at the daycare before I head to work.”

She fished her keys from her purse, put on a light jacket, and braved the February cold. Starting the sedan, she drove to work, only stopping at the little coffee shop on Main Street. There’s free coffee in the library, but I need a cup of the real stuff. A few turns later, Elaine arrived at her second-favorite place in the world. Like many people who passed through the small town, she often pondered its elaborate and detailed existence. Entering, her high heels clacked on the lobby’s linoleum floor before transitioning to burgundy carpeting that spread throughout the rest of the building. Setting her belongings inside her locker, she begrudgingly refilled her cup from the break room’s machine.

Along the way to her workstation, she whispered to passing patrons, welcoming them. She set her coffee down and smiled at her coworkers. “Good morning, ladies. Anything exciting going on?”

“Mornin’, Elaine. Nothing really, but we have a lot of check-ins that need to go back out.”

“I’ll knock those out, Jen.” She sipped and turned to Cindy further down the line. The shy blonde smiled meekly and subtly leaned her neck to the side. Elaine knew the lycan meant well, but the behavior was unnecessary. Really now? I guess I’ll need to remind her it’s not necessary when Jen’s around.

As Jen warned, the carts were filled with books. It took a few hours, but she housed all of the fiction returns. Now onto the non-fiction.

It was no secret this area of the library was her favorite. The other employees enjoyed fictional literature in all of its subgenres, but they all detested history and educational material. It’s a shame. There’s much to learn, both in the human world and the supernatural. Like lycans and other shapeshifters, anything written pertaining to secrets kept from humanity were hiding in plain sight. The only hindrance was trying to determine which source was factual. The human imagination was far-reaching, and many of the true qualities of magic and otherworldly beings became muddled over the centuries. The older the texts were, the more reliable they proved to be.

Nearly finished with her task, Elaine sighed and slid yet another misinforming book into place. Just a few more, and I’ll call Lei. Stopping her cart in the small, religious-nonfiction section, she loaded an arm full and turned a corner. She was about to pass a man when her wolf growled in her mind.

She had seen the guy before, but couldn’t place him. Must have a common face. Keeping her animal’s concerns in mind, she inched closer. Trenchcoat, shiny leather shoes…

He looked at her.

Gray eyes. He’s composed, almost stoic. Taking another step, she felt his aura. Fire mage. He’s concealing it well, but not well enough. He’s experienced. “Finding everything you need, sir?”

The blond bangs danced as he glanced at the shelves, fingering the spines’ labels. “Why, yes. I’m impressed with the wide selection so far. Curiosity beckons; does this library keep any ancient tomes, or scrolls perhaps?”

Stunned by the man’s Italian accent, Elaine batted her eyes. “We have a few, but they vary in subject. Some of them are extremely damaged. What subjects were you interested in?”

“Magic, my dear.” His smile curled, almost wickedly. “I love reading anything regarding magical studies. I can tell you’re a gifted frost mage.”

Her wolf persisted, assuming the man was not revealing his intentions. “And you’re one of fire. We have some material on various affinities. Could you be more specific on which one you would like to learn about?”

“I’m currently researching the ones we don’t see often.”

“We have a few tomes on clairvoyance, but only one reliable research packet about telepathy. I’d be happy to show you those.”

The man shook his head. “I’m afraid I have material on those. My interest lies in more elusive magic.”

Elaine crossed her arms. What’s this guy going after? The only affinity rarer than telepathy is shadow. I’ve heard whispers of a divine affinity, but that’s just a myth. “I apologize, sir, but we only have books on the major four and minor two. Anything other than those, we simply do not—”

A shiver ran down her spine. Her memory bucked. Th-the electronic mail message from Yale! The dean sent the newsletter, and there was a warning about a European man researching the shadow affinity. He assaulted several librarians when they wouldn’t let him see their scrolls. Oh gods!

I need to get everyone out—

“I see your mind spinning, ma’am,” the man whispered smugly. “Are you under the assumption I’m up to something?”

She collected herself. “I wouldn’t think of it, but on further thought, I believe I have a file you may be interested in. It’s just over—”

“I don’t care for excuses, or stalling.” His gaze flicked up and down as he pocketed his hands. “My interest lies with you now. What are your intentions? I take it you know about my escapade in Connecticut, or am I making an incorrect judgment by thinking you attended Yale?”

He’s clever. Her heart pounded like a hammer to an anvil. Elaine read the man’s stance and expression. “I think it’s best if you leave.”

He craned his neck to the side. “And I think there is still something here. Until I obtain it, I’ll be staying.”

“What is it then? I’d rather not come to blows.”

“Smart lady. I want information on the shadow and divine affinities. Forgive me, but I don’t trust your earlier statement of not having material on them. This library is massive, and it seems unlikely a Yale graduate, like yourself, would be ignorant of their existence.”

Elaine eyed the man’s hidden hands. “I’m the assistant lead librarian. I know every book pertaining to magic in our possession, and we have nothing you’re looking for. Your mission’s null. You can still turn around and walk out of here.”

“And do what exactly?” He shifted his stance and sneered. “Scurry away while you call the authorities? I don’t think so.”

Her wolf snarled within her mind, signaling trouble. There was a glow in the man’s pockets. Now!

She brought her arms up, forming a wall of ice just as the fireballs came at her. Kneeling, Elaine conjured a shield and a rapier. Too close! Surely Cindy heard that blast. “Cindy,” she spoke at a typical volume, “pull the fire alarm and evacuate the building. That’s an order.”

“Y-yes, ma’am.”

The confirmation was quiet, but it relieved Elaine. Good. Now I can focus on him.

An alarm rang loud throughout the building. The fire mage’s palms were ablaze. “A shifter, I take it? And to be giving orders. I’d say you’re a lady of power. I’m honored. It has been a while since I had a proper duel.”

Gripping her sword tightly, she grimaced. “And it’ll be your last. You’ll die here.” She threw it towards him, then sent a volley of shards his way.

A cone of fire plumed from his mouth, melting them. “Now, now. We haven’t had time to properly introduce ourselves. My lady, what is your name?”

Throwing another shard, Elaine scoffed. “Why does it matter?”

She watched it evaporate in his heated palm while the man chuckled. “I’m a curious man. Me first, then? I am Stefan Gregoro.”

Trying to figure out Stefan’s game, Elaine scowled. Is he stalling for something? Are there more mages to come or is he being arrogant? Either way, I need to close this gap and land a hit. “Elaine Wilson, Mated Alpha to the local pack.”

Stefan’s face lit. “Ah, an alpha’s mate. How exciting! I’ve been fascinated by lycan lore for quite some time, but I have yet to spend quality time in their presence, let alone with one of power. I do wish we could have had a talk before reaching this point.”

“We don’t have to continue this fight. You can walk out of here, and this can all be forgotten.”

Stefan clicked his tongue. “You’re wrong, my dear. I happen to know lycans tend to carry grudges, especially when one attacks their mates. This makes me a wanted man, and I’m not one for leaving witnesses.” He whipped his arms up, launching two fireballs at her.

Raising her hands, she blocked them with the ice shield. Pumping energy into it, she added another layer. As Stefan hurled fire, her protection took it. Flicking her wrist, she spawned a dagger. Realizing she wasn’t going to win the long-range fight, she sprinted. She pulled her arm back, but as she neared him, he lobbed another attack. As it landed, she charged with the shield and rammed Stefan. That’ll just knock the wind out of him. I need to attack.

Jabbing her weapon, he caught her wrist. “That wasn’t very nice.”

Don’t care. She inhaled sharply and blew snow in his face. Elaine dropped and swept his legs out from under him. Standing as fast as she could, she created a spear. Just as she raised it, he shoved a hand into a bookshelf and vanished.

Her heart skipped a beat. There was a cloud of black smog in Stefan’s place. Oh, gods. Don’t tell me… She gripped the spear and pivoted. A shadow mage too? He can come out at any point. Growling to herself, she tried to make sense of the confrontation. Why fight? He can run away at any time. What’s the point of trying to kill me?

A fireball flew nearby and crashed into a bookcase. Elaine remained steeled. That bastard! Trying to distract me. Another whizzed past her head, starting a second fire. I can’t see where they’re coming from. I need to minimize the damage, but the moment I try to save the library, he’ll attack. “Come out and fight me, coward!”

Stefan reappeared a few yards away, hiding around a corner. She instantly understood his plan. He needed more shadows, so he created light sources. Damn, he’s gotten the upper hand. I need to get out in the open… The lobby! Dropping her spear, she fashioned another dagger, repaired the shield, and hugged her back against the wall of bookcases. Treading carefully, she scanned her path for incoming flames and shadowy wisps.

Against the wall near the reception desk, she called out, “Come on, Gregoro! You said no witnesses, and I’m still breathing.”

“That you are.”

Whipping around, she saw him sitting on the edge of the front display table. He was grinning from ear to ear as his legs dangled like a marionette’s. “Quite impressive, Mrs. Wilson. Fast conjurations, defensive tactics… You might be my greatest threat yet.”

“I’d say the same, but you don’t deserve respect. As a scholar, how can you justify burning texts?”

“Because I either knew what was inside them, or they didn’t satisfy my needs. All I want is information about the shadow and divine affinities. If there’s nothing here, then I have no need for this place.”

Bile churned in Elaine’s stomach. “You… You’re a sick bastard. How dare you! Willing to burn a building because it doesn’t serve you? People could’ve died. You’re heartless!”

“You insolent dog!” His tone sounded violent. Stefan hopped off the table and flung an orb at her. “I will be insulted by no one. I have power others whisper of. I was given this magic, and I will use it as I see fit.” He swung his arm, sending a horizontal wave of fire through the air.

Elaine raised her shield to protect herself, but Stefan’s energy melted it. Before she could repair it, another fireball was incoming. Getting her hand up, she coated it with a layer of her own magic. As his attack landed, she knew she did not use enough ice. The flame disintegrated, but not before scorching her.

She pulled away and stifled a scream. Gods! Th-that’s at least second-degree. Layering her injury with frost, Elaine launched a barrage of shards in Stefan’s direction. The man kept moving towards the reception desk, but one of the projectiles connected, causing him to cry out as he took cover.

Panting, she drew her shield once more and approached cautiously. Ignoring her hand, Elaine was running low on energy. Need to end this.

Stefan yelled out, screaming bloody murder from his hiding place. Cauterizing the wound. It’s what I would do. Now’s my chan—

Bolts of fire shot through the air. One hitting a bookcase on the second-floor balcony, and another chairs and tables. She rushed behind the desk, and as she threw a shard, Stefan disappeared into thin air. He’s lurking again. Backing herself against the wall, she scanned the area for more dark smoke. I will find you.

The door to the lobby opened suddenly. Elaine prepared a throwing knife, but an armed Lei stormed in with four pack members. She ran to his side. “Lei! Shadow and fire mage. Watch for smoke, it’s how he moves.”

“Got it. He still here?”

“No idea. I doubt it since he’s now outnumbered.”

Together, they split up to clear the building. There were no civilians, and there was no Stefan. Even as Lei radioed for the fire department to move in, Elaine kept her eyes peeled. It was becoming more difficult with each passing second. Smoke was filling the library, and she could not discern whether it came from the fire or the shadow mage.

She felt Lei’s hand touch her shoulder. That was all it took for her to stand down. She was exhausted inside and out. If the fight had lasted longer, she would have resorted to her life energy.

“Ellie, you’re hurt.” He lifted her hand and examined it.

“I’m fine,” she muttered, yanking it from Lei’s grasp. She took a few steps before hoarsely yelling, “Get out here, Stefan! I’m not finished with you!”

Lei grabbed her shoulders. “You’re done, Ellie. He’s gone. Let’s get out of here, boys!”

Reluctantly, she went with her mate, but not without looking at the destruction once more. Firemen passed by, carrying a hose. Dinbe, please save this place. An EMT came to her and directed her to sit with an oxygen mask. She tried to focus on her breathing, but her wolf was still on high-alert. He could be out there. Watching. Waiting.

“Ellie?” She snapped out of her daze when Lei’s face blocked her vision. “Can you hear me?”

“Y-yeah. Is anyone hurt?”

He shook his head. “Everyone’s out and fine. Cindy called the station, told us to book it.”

She sighed in relief. “She did well. I don’t know how I could’ve gotten everyone out if—”

Lei gently took the mask away and kissed her. She melted. All of the concern for others and the adrenaline rush vanished. When they parted, her eyelids fluttered. “Your hand. How bad is it?”

“I… Um, it’s burned. I’ll need to go to the doctor, or go home.”

“We’ll go. Now.” The alpha lifted her, then turned and pointed. “Jeff, take point. Make sure the block’s secure and cordoned off.”

“Got it, Chief.” The middle-aged beta waved, shooing them off.

As she was led to the blue Dodge Ram, Lei nuzzled her head. “I wish I could’ve been here earlier.”

Leaning into him, she growled. “He’s gone. I should’ve fought harder. I could’ve done more damage to him.”

“And you could’ve ended up more injured. You and Cindy did the right thing. Other than your hand, no one was hurt, and everyone walked away.”

She stared at him as he opened the passenger door for her. Their usual roles were reversed. I’m supposed to the one talking him down, and being the peacekeeper. “We don’t have to go to the hospital. I can—”

“Shift? Yeah, but several people saw your burns. You’ll need to get it checked, grab the prescriptions, and keep up appearances with bandages.”

She rolled her eyes. He’s right. Keeping a layer of frost over her hand, she numbed the pain. “Leidolf,” she mumbled, “we’re going to get this guy, right?”

Looking over, she saw her mate’s glowing tan irises. “I’ll call in every resource and favor. I want his blood dripping from my claws.”

Copyright © 2020 astone2292; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 43
  • Love 37
  • Wow 5
  • Sad 1
  • Angry 5
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

WOW! Elaine is amazing! She held her own to that crazed shadow mage with fire affinity! I am proud of her. You are a very talented author who keeps his readers wanting more every chapter!

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment
33 minutes ago, Story Reader said:

WOW! Elaine is amazing! She held her own to that crazed shadow mage with fire affinity! I am proud of her. You are a very talented author who keeps his readers wanting more every chapter!

Elaine is that mage! You just don't wanna mess with her. And that was her 21 years ago, imagine what other tricks she learned!

And thank you! I really try my best, and I'm glad that I've made an addictive story.

  • Like 3
  • Love 2
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator

And you answered my curiousity about Elaine's battle with Stefan. I knew pitting ice against fire would be tough. Stefan wanted knowledge about the divine affinity too and this means he might have it. What powers come with it?

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Wow 1
Link to comment
23 minutes ago, drpaladin said:

Stefan wanted knowledge about the divine affinity too and this means he might have it. What powers come with it?

*shrugs shoulders*

  • Like 3
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator
8 hours ago, astone2292 said:

*shrugs shoulders*

What an odd power :P

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Quote

The Alpha let his eyes flash an illuminating tan color. “I swear, my mate. If he thinks he can waltz into my territory and attack abruptly, he has another thing coming. Before this is all over...that bastard’s blood will drip from my claws.”

I do hope this is a prophetic statement.

I did like this flashback, brief but fills in a lot about the history of Lady Elaine and her fight with Mr. G. I wonder if G finally found any information about the divine affinity.  Could be a lot of trouble if he did and he could use it.  

  • Love 2
Link to comment
9 minutes ago, raven1 said:

I do hope this is a prophetic statement.

I did like this flashback, brief but fills in a lot about the history of Lady Elaine and her fight with Mr. G. I wonder if G finally found any information about the divine affinity.  Could be a lot of trouble if he did and he could use it.  

Even the author has doubts that such a malevolent cuck like Stefan could have something called the divine affinity. 

But then again, the series isn't done yet...

  • Love 2
Link to comment

Ahhh... so we get a glimpse of the man behind the evil shadows. Vinnie has some further training with Elaine, I'm sure. 

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment
3 minutes ago, kbois said:

Ahhh... so we get a glimpse of the man behind the evil shadows. Vinnie has some further training with Elaine, I'm sure. 

Evil man enjoys book burnings. 

I'm off to my corner...

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
7 minutes ago, Bft said:

What a scumbag Stefan is, ugh 😩 

Not the word I'd use, but ehh... Good 'nuff.

Maybe asshat? Villainous asshat? Yeah, I'll go with that. 

 

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..