Jump to content
    astone2292
  • Author
  • 3,250 Words
  • 4,184 Views
  • 21 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Love in the Shadows - 26. Chapter 26: Godly Guidance

Mason and Caleb were silent. The alpha stood, unsure how to proceed. Bol, god of order. The question is whether he’s telling the truth. Sniffing, he gritted his teeth. Not lying. But that just sounds—

“Yes, lycan,” Bol said, staring at Mason. “I am speaking the truth. I have no reason to lie.”

“You can read minds?”

“Yes. Now, answer my initial question. Do you two—”

The front door opened, and Dave entered. He had his phone up to his ear. “Alpha, what are Vincent’s… symptoms?”

“A third shapeshifter?” Bol again spoke through Vincent.

Mason cleared his throat. “This is a little crazy. I need verification you are who you say you are. There’s a few magical creatures out there with the ability to possess or hypnotize others.”

“Your concern is valid. Hold out your hand.”

Not seeing any harm in the request, Mason complied. The alleged god approached and studied the palm without touching it. “Your name is Mason Wilson. You were born on the human date of the twenty-seventh day of June in the year 1993. Conceived by your mother, Elaine, and father, Leidolf, and delivered to this world by Doctor Jackson Hart at the Owensville County Memorial Hospital. You work on a farm, preferring to survey the crop fields. You detest the paperwork necessary to maintain the business.”

Stupefied by the sudden information burst, Mason watched as his mate’s body stepped away, then knelt. “This wood came from a red oak tree in an area you refer to as Virginia. The tree was approximately seventy-four years old when it was cut down by a human with the name of Brandon Louberry. Poor human. He died in a fire started by a lightning strike to his dwelling, passing on as a result.”

Mason shook. By the smell, he’s telling the truth. He’s―

“Yes,” Bol answered with a scowl. “I trust you three watch over the body I am possessing?”

“Doc, I’ll call you back,” Dave muttered before hanging up. “Mace?”

“My wolf trusts his word.” Mason gave Bol his undivided attention. “But god or not, you still hurt my mate. He screamed as if his body was on fire.”

“In regards to this body, I am completely aware of the suffering I caused. For that, do give Vincent my apologies. My question has still gone unanswered. Shall I repeat myself?”

“No need,” Mason said, shaking his head. “Vincent’s my mate, and I’ll protect him with my life. These two are my council, and they’ve pledged to do the same. Vincent’s almost always with one of the three of us.”

“Good. I come with a warning of utmost importance. This human is to be kept alive at all costs.”

Swallowing the lump in his throat, Mason's eyes burned. Was this a threat? No, he said it was a warning. “Is Vincent in danger?”

“No, not at the moment,” Bol elaborated. “But his destiny is one riddled with unpleasantry. It has become entwined with another’s, and this person is capable of causing inconceivable suffering.”

“Stefan,” Mason answered with a growl. “That man won’t be breathing for long if I have any say in the matter. Vincent spoke with him earlier.”

Bol crossed Vincent’s arms. “My brothers and sisters have kept watch over the two. Should the destined battle between these mages prove fatal for Vincent… You three should ensure it does not happen.”

Nausea hit Mason. It felt as if his heart fell to his stomach. “Do… What do you mean by that? Vincent can lose?”

“Destinies are often open-ended. My sister reviews them carefully, but some foretell of undesirable outcomes. In these cases, we test the limits of our capabilities to sway the result. However, this destiny… It is unlike anything we have witnessed. Simply put, we can view the aftermath if either man is the victor, but we can not see the battle itself. Needless to say, I would not have possessed Vincent if we had not foreseen chaos ensuing after a Stefan victory.”

Mason felt as if the weight of the world had landed on his shoulders. He barely heard Dave’s inquiry. “If I remember right from Sunday school, the Seven are incapable of directly interfering in the worlds they oversee, correct?”

Bol turned to Dave. He walked up and lifted the lycan’s hand. “David Triggs, thirty human years of age. I recommend you remove those tobacco twigs from your life, lest you wish to be underground in twenty years.

“Your knowledge is accurate. We cannot inject ourselves directly. Our power only allows nudges. Redirecting a path taken, distracting one from surrounding events, and other means of indirect manipulation. However, when it comes to crucial destinies, we resort to more drastic actions.” Bol’s stern stare landed on each shapeshifter in order. “Failure is not an option. It is under my celestial jurisdiction to maintain order. I deemed it necessary to inform you three of this man’s destiny. I judged Vincent’s behavior, and if left unaware, he may encounter Stefan prematurely. I task you three with ensuring he does not do so. Is that clear, shapeshifters?”

“Yes,” said the council. Mason was confident. He knew his mate was in safe hands.

Bol glanced at him. “Mason Wilson. Your love for this man is intense. I feel the remnants of the bond you share. I have been absent in the matter of mythical creature bondings, as I have had no previous interest. Your undying loyalty to Vincent has changed that.”

Smiling, Mason offered a handshake. “Thank you, Lord Bol. If I can make a suggestion, spend some time here on Earth. You’ll learn more about us in no time.”

Bol studied the gesture for a few seconds before grabbing the proffered hand. “I believe I would.”

“I know you’re a god and all, but if you need anything, you know where to find me. Just try not to hurt my mate again.”

“The offer is generous. I will remember this. I am able to repossess Vincent’s body, but it will no longer require him to go through such suffering. I shall only do so when necessary. Should he need to speak with me, I am now connected to his consciousness. He only needs to pray, and I can converse with him in his mind.

“I must leave, as I am needed in other planes. Vincent will require hours of rest, but he should feel no lingering effects from my possession.”

Bol sat on the couch and glanced at Mason once more. The glowing white irises faded, and Vincent’s eyelids drooped. Mason rushed to the sofa and caught his mate before he fell to the armrest. The mage’s body was completely limp.

“Alpha,” Caleb mumbled. “About earlier…”

“Caleb, interrupt me anytime I’m about to make a stupid move.”

Dave cleared his throat. “So, are we going to talk about all of that? A god shows up and takes over our mated alpha?”

Licking his lips, Mason held Vincent closely, brushing the hair out of the mage’s eyes. “We should do what he says. We need to protect Vinnie, and he needs to win his fight with Stefan.”

Caleb rose. “This could wait until tomorrow. Your mate could use some rest.”

“I agree. How about y’all come early for breakfast? Caleb, you’re welcome to bring Tash and Lowe.”

The enforcer nodded. “Sounds good to me. Dave?”

“Sorry, that’ll be a no,” Dave said, pulling out his pack of cigarettes. “I’m sleeping the fuck in! I haven’t had a chance to turn off my alarms in so long. I’ll be by around ten.” He placed a cigarette in his mouth, only to remove and put it back in the package. The beta must have seen Mason’s incredulous stare. “What? You heard the man. Either I stop smoking, or I’m out in twenty. I’d rather stick around.”

His council gone, Mason locked the door and carried Vincent to the bedroom. My mate… You never cease to amaze me. You’re a brilliant mage, an alpha, and now the host of the god of order.

Once his mate was undressed and under the covers, Mason stripped and crawled in with him. He laid next to Vincent, propping himself up to watch over the slumbering mage. Hopefully one day, you’ll be able to sit down and enjoy a calm, peaceful life. The wolf draped an arm over the smaller man’s chest and nodded off to sleep.

***

Miserable. He felt absolutely miserable. Can’t… I can’t eat another bite.

“Mr. Alvey?”

Kaplan mustered the strength to lift his head. Cyrus stared, but it was obvious the panda had the same issue. The alpha reclined in the plush booth at Hutong. “Are you alive over there?”

“Yeah, I’m stuffed.”

Cyrus’s face softened as he giggled. “I’m in the same boat. If I eat any more of this eggplant tempura, I might die a happy man.”

Kaplan tried to keep food out of his mind. “If I think about any more food, I’ll probably explode.”

He was asked earlier in the morning for a second outing with the alpha. Cyrus was incredibly interested in the way Kaplan ran his subordinate betas. “It’s a simple chain of command. All betas report to me, deltas to Dirk, and we to Alpha Scott.”

“And how are your betas organized?”

“Purely based on skill, specialty, and personal interest. Holman used to be in sales, so he naturally fit in with tourism. He sells vacation packages as fast as if they were Girl Scout Thin Mints.”

Cyrus smirked. “I see, playing to strengths. Do you see any faults with this style of leadership?”

“Not really,” Kaplan thought aloud. “There’s times where I have to assist, or—”

A vibration came from his pocket. Fishing the device out, he saw Tierney’s name on the screen and swiped to answer. “Yes, Alpha.”

“Kap, are you busy?”

“I’m having lunch with Cyrus.”

“Excellent! When you two are finished, come by the apartment. I’d like to discuss a few things.”

“Let me ask Alpha Vonder,” Kaplan stated. “Are you free to come to Alpha Scott’s apartment, sir?”

Cyrus grinned. “Only if you never call me sir again. Tell Tierney we’re on our way. Kaplan, are we taking your car or a cab?”

“My car, if you don’t mind.”

Kaplan finished the call with Tierney while Cyrus paid the bill. When he slid the phone in his pocket, he listened as the panda chatted with the waitress. He’s really laying on the charm. She’s practically putty in his hand. Her smile appeared flirtatious, and Cyrus beamed with interest. Kaplan looked away. Does she know who he even is?

They parted, and Cyrus walked out with Kaplan. The bear whispered, “Was that a twinge of jealousy I smelled?”

“N-No.”

The alpha giggled and strolled past Kaplan. “It’s quite alright. It tells me you might be interested.”

While they walked to his car, Kaplan debated Cyrus’s words. Interested. He shook his head. No! What the hell’s wrong with me? Someone like me, fall for an alpha like him? That’s ridiculous.

“You know you can share your thoughts, right, Mr. Alvey?” The suave voice startled Kaplan. “After all, should you decide to stay in New York, I would ask you to retain your position.”

Kaplan felt relieved. “I’m grateful for that, but everything’s fine. Just a few things I have to take care of later on.”

He shivered as Cyrus hummed deeply. Seeing an emerald glimmer in the man’s stare unsettled the beta. “I will warn you once, Kaplan. I do not like being lied to.” Cyrus blinked and the green glimmer disappeared. “Now please, whatever’s going on in that little head of yours, I want to hear it. Here”—the bear pointed and led the way to a bench—“sit with me. You’re an advisor to an alpha, and while I’m not him, I hope to have you at my side when I take office. I demand open communication from those I work with, and if that means I need to help you, I will. Please, speak your mind.”

Kaplan was speechless. He’s just like Alpha Scott. Tierney was the first alpha to ever show him kindness, then there was Mason in Kentucky. Now Cyrus. Alpha Ren really was unlike any of them.

Cyrus chuckled and draped his arm over Kaplan’s shoulder. “Do I need to say please?”

Laughing, Kaplan reclined. “No, and I’m sorry. I was thinking about… Well, if I were in my old pack, I would’ve been—”

“Struck? Beaten?” Cyrus guessed, his eyes burning green. “You are not in that pack any longer, and you should never worry about such barbaric traditions again. No one has the right to tell you to be different than how you are.” After a few blinks, the man’s expression softened. “What were you thinking about, Kaplan?”

“I-uh…” Not wanting to admit he had Cyrus on his mind, Kaplan changed the subject. “I’ve decided about the move to Kentucky. I don’t doubt your abilities as an alpha, but I think you could use me here.”

Cyrus appeared convinced, and his smile seemed genuine. “I find this very reassuring. I’d be honored to have you as my first beta—” The panda’s phone rang. He glanced at the screen before standing. “Pardon me, I must take this. It’s an alpha from one of my previous audits in Germany.”

Impressed when the bear spoke fluent German, Kaplan admired Cyrus. I forget how important of a person he is. He’s traveled the world, fixing problems and helping so many packs. While waiting, Kaplan opened several emails, responding to work and pack-related ones.

“Auf Wiedersehen für jetzt,” Cyrus said, ending the call. “My apologies. Alpha Meyer in Munich prefers to update me, even if it’s the lightest of news.”

“Some people are like that. I didn’t know you spoke German.”

“I do. English, German, and Afrikaans, but I believe I’m done learning any new languages. It takes a lot of time and energy.”

The two continued to chat until they arrived at Kaplan’s black Prius. He was embarrassed when the alpha scooted the passenger seat all the way back and still had to lean forward. Driving to Tierney’s apartment took longer than usual, but Cyrus lightened the mood by pointing out neighborhood details that caught his attention. Reaching Chelsea, the panda had a smug smile. “What a lovely area! Plenty of shops and food, all within walking distance. I should’ve done more research before settling on my condo.”

They entered Tierney’s building and knocked on his door. The alpha welcomed them in and was forced to endure Cyrus’s compliments. Kaplan couldn’t blame the panda; Tierney’s home was lavish. Shiny, dark hardwood floors complemented the gray and white walls. The living room exuded power, almost to the point of intimidation, with its black, upholstered furniture and tall bookcases. It was clearly a bachelor’s home.

“You needed us, Tierney?” Cyrus asked, removing his coat.

“Yes, make yourselves at home,” Tierney suggested. “That means you too, Kap. Shouldn’t have to remind you every time you’re over.”

Giggling, Cyrus sat on a couch and kicked up a leg. “Don’t tell a bear to get comfy. We’ll stay for dinner.”

Tierney snorted. “I told Dirk once. He’s been coming over unannounced for a few years now. At least Kaplan knocks when I invite him. Speaking of…” The lycan opened a nearby cabinet and brought out glasses and a bottle. “I needed your opinion on a few details about the move to Kentucky.”

Kaplan sighed. Had I known what he needed, I would’ve thought about what I’d say.

“Kap? Something wrong?”

Seeing Tierney concerned, he gathered his wits. “Actually, Alpha Scott. There’s something I need to tell you. A few things, actually.”

“Here, sit down. Sounds serious.”

Taking the spot next to Cyrus, Kaplan felt comforted when the alpha patted his knee. “I’ve already discussed it all with Alpha Vonder, and he said I should speak my mind.”

“As you should.” Tierney poured and scooted two glasses across the coffee table.

Kaplan did not go for the offering. His heart was racing. He was about to reveal a secret he had kept from the man he considered a father figure. Taking a big breath, he looked Tierney in the eye and said, “I’m gay.”

Tierney blinked a few times. “And? Was… Was that the big news? I’ve known for a while now, but it’s good to finally hear you say it.”

“I—” Kaplan shook his head. “What? You knew?”

“I mean, yeah! You aren’t subtle when you stare at Dirk’s ass.”

The beta’s cheeks flushed. They grew warmer when Cyrus chuckled. “Tierney! Coming out of the closet is no easy feat.”

Tierney leaned forward. “Right. I’m sorry, Kaplan. You know you can come to me about anything, even personal stuff. I’d drop everything for you.”

Overwhelmed, Kaplan wiped his eyes. “Thank you. Both of you.”

“You said you had a few things to talk about?”

“Y-yeah. I’ve been thinking about this for a few days, but…” Try as he might, he couldn’t muster the courage to speak. Alpha Scott’s given me the world. I just don’t want him to think I’m abandoning him.

Cyrus patted Kaplan’s knee again. “Take your time. Alpha Scott won’t be going anywhere until you’re comfortable with what you have to say.”

“That’s right,” Tierney agreed. “I’m staying right here until you’re ready. I’ll even delay my move to Kentuck—”

“No!” Kaplan blurted. He didn’t want Tierney to disrupt his plans. “I… No, not that. I’m staying.”

The lycan alpha’s face softened. “You’re staying here?”

“I’m sorry, Alpha Scott. I just don’t see what I can do in Kentucky. I’m already established here as an attorney, and with Alpha Vonder taking over, he’ll need help during the transition.” He stared at Tierney, who remained silent. When a few seconds passed, Kaplan swallowed. “Alpha Scott?”

Tierney sniffled. “Gods, I’m going to miss you, Kap. I can’t imagine how hard this decision was for you.”

The beta smelled Tierney’s sad emotions. “I’m sor—”

“Let me finish, my beta,” Tierney said, rising. He rounded the coffee table and knelt at Kaplan’s side. “You’ve grown the past couple of years. Hell, in the last week, you’ve grown to think for yourself. Without a doubt, New York’s your home. I can’t even think about how many lives you’ve helped, not only through the pack but your practice. You continue to do that.”

“I will.”

“But I will visit you. If you’re not up to Cyrus’s standards, I’m going to kick your butt.”

The panda snorted. “That won’t be necessary. I’d be a fool not to have him on my council. Might I suggest a toast?”

Tierney rose with a grunt. “Sounds perfect.” He picked up his glass. “Kaplan, you’re the best beta I’ve ever seen, and definitely the scariest lawyer in all of New York. May Bol represent you in your finest hour.”

Taking a sip of the whiskey, Kaplan seethed from the burn. “Alpha Sc—”

“For crying out loud, Kap. Either Tierney or Ty.”

“Tierney.” Licking his lips, the beta stood. “You’re one of the greatest alphas in this pack’s history. Personally, I see you like my dad. You’ve helped me grow into this council position, and I’ll always be indebted to you.”

Turning to face Cyrus, Kaplan gestured with glass in hand. “I’m not the strongest or toughest lycan in the pack, but I promise you I’ll be the best-damned beta in the world.”

Copyright © 2020 astone2292; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 39
  • Love 53
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

On 12/18/2020 at 4:46 PM, Buz said:

OMGoodness. Those three made me cry. It wasn't even a sad scene. They all get what they want and need now. Well, soonish...

As for Lord Bol, what does this all mean for Vin? They cannot guarantee that Vin will win so what are they going to do about that? Just imagine when Vin finds out. He will be knocked for a six. I hope this does not mean that either Mace, Caleb or Dave will end up sacrificing themselves in the Final Battle, just to ensure the win for Vin, etc? Bol did keep mentioning them three being the protectors of Vin? Mace is his Mate, Caleb has a Mate and Cub, Dave needs a chance to get his bliss as well. It would be so hard to choose...

Vin also needs help with his Shadow Training. Are we getting a new character to do this? I just remembered the other Shadow Mage on the rooftop that time when they went to meet Stefan.

So many questions but getting all the answers means getting to the end of the story, which I defo don't want.

@Buz took the words right out of my mouth before I could type anything. Great chapter!

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator

Unsurprising, Vinnie has the attention of the gods; it's not necessarily good when you gain their gaze, but they seem intent on preserving his existence. On another note, Bol was nonplussed and rather taken by being seen as a friend. I guess the warning over not contacting him over trivial matters means the numbers for the Powerball are not an option.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 3
Link to comment

Wow! This chapter really had my emotions going.  First, Bol's message was definitely important as a warning of the consequences of a possible failure to overcome Stefan.  Stefan must be even more evil and powerful than I thought if he can get the gods so stirred up.  Considering how Vincent felt about the gods before, I wonder what he is going to feel now.  I would love to be a fly on the wall for his first prayer/conversation with Boll.  

Cyrus is going to make a great Alpha.  He handled the situation with Kaplan so well.  Kaplan felt so comfortable and safe with him and told him his deepest secret.  I suspect that Cyrus was pleased on many counts after their conversation.  There definitely feelings of attraction between Cyrus and Kaplan and will develop quickly once they both own up and tell it like it is with each other.  Ty was the perfect father figure for Kaplan as he supported Kaplan and expressed his joy for Kaplan's decision.  A really feel good chapter!

  • Love 1
Link to comment
6 hours ago, raven1 said:

Wow! This chapter really had my emotions going.  First, Bol's message was definitely important as a warning of the consequences of a possible failure to overcome Stefan.  Stefan must be even more evil and powerful than I thought if he can get the gods so stirred up.  Considering how Vincent felt about the gods before, I wonder what he is going to feel now.  I would love to be a fly on the wall for his first prayer/conversation with Boll.  

Cyrus is going to make a great Alpha.  He handled the situation with Kaplan so well.  Kaplan felt so comfortable and safe with him and told him his deepest secret.  I suspect that Cyrus was pleased on many counts after their conversation.  There definitely feelings of attraction between Cyrus and Kaplan and will develop quickly once they both own up and tell it like it is with each other.  Ty was the perfect father figure for Kaplan as he supported Kaplan and expressed his joy for Kaplan's decision.  A really feel good chapter!

While Stefan is evil and powerful, I wouldn't label him a threat to the celestial community. Sure, they decided to intervene in a very passive manner, but it all depends on what happens in the destiny. What does Stefan do if he beats Vincent? One must wonder...

I really fell in love with the NY crew. They became such an integral part of the series. 

  • Love 1
Link to comment

Better and better.  So perhaps this is how the divinity affinity manifests itself.  The gods can slip in and out of a properly symbiotic host.  Was Stefan's interest in this because he wanted to try to force something like this for himself, or does he also have the affinity to be a receptor?  Hmmm. Could we see a battle between the gods taking place between 2 unconscious receptors?  Maybe I'm going too far down this path.  Very anxious to see how this plays out.

And then there's Kaplan. Poor guy.  He just has no idea how much love is already focused on him.  So strong as an attorney, but so afraid of his own worth as a person.  This is the damage that comes from his first Alpha.  I think we will see huge changes in him as he accepts more from those around him, especially Cyrus.  This is going to be great!

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment
On 3/24/2022 at 8:42 AM, Quixo said:

Better and better.  So perhaps this is how the divinity affinity manifests itself.  The gods can slip in and out of a properly symbiotic host.  Was Stefan's interest in this because he wanted to try to force something like this for himself, or does he also have the affinity to be a receptor?  Hmmm. Could we see a battle between the gods taking place between 2 unconscious receptors?  Maybe I'm going too far down this path.  Very anxious to see how this plays out.

And then there's Kaplan. Poor guy.  He just has no idea how much love is already focused on him.  So strong as an attorney, but so afraid of his own worth as a person.  This is the damage that comes from his first Alpha.  I think we will see huge changes in him as he accepts more from those around him, especially Cyrus.  This is going to be great!

Don't know how I missed this comment! An interesting take on the divine affinity. Do either Vin of Stefan possess a trace of it? Who knows?

Kaplan is damaged, and it's going to take a big teddy bear to fix it! 

  • Love 1
Link to comment
16 hours ago, astone2292 said:

Don't know how I missed this comment! An interesting take on the divine affinity. Do either Vin of Stefan possess a trace of it? Who knows?

Kaplan is damaged, and it's going to take a big teddy bear to fix it! 

It's interesting looking back on these comments from the perspective of where I am now in the story.  That's the beauty of your writing.  It send your readers' minds spinning.

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment
4 hours ago, Quixo said:

It's interesting looking back on these comments from the perspective of where I am now in the story.  That's the beauty of your writing.  It send your readers' minds spinning.

It's hilarious for me. I have to reread the chapter so I don't drop spoilers!

  • Love 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
3 hours ago, Bft said:

Yay Kaplan he is an amazing guy 🐺❤️🌈

Kap's a great character. He deserved to cone out of that cramped closet. 

  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..