Jump to content
    astone2292
  • Author
  • 5,395 Words
  • 6,985 Views
  • 22 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Love in the Shadows - 7. Chapter 7: Dandy Day

Caleb beamed. "Yes, Alpha!"

Mason dropped the tough guy act and pulled Caleb in for a handshake and embrace. "Good to hear! You know you took this position at a rough time, right?"

"I didn't know you were looking for an enforcer. I would have been the first to apply. But whatever comes at us, consider it taken care of, Alpha Wilson."

"I'll fill you in on details after the meeting, but Vinnie’s hunting someone, and he just made an appearance in Owensville."

A grimace replaced the grin on Caleb’s face. "You can’t be serious! Did we at least get eyes on him?"

Mason shook his head. "No. He left a letter in Vincent's apartment, but I don’t believe he’ll make the first strike. He's biding his time. Something tells me he wants the best fight out of my mate. Either that, or he’s toying."

Caleb nodded. "Understood. I hate to ask this right away, but does this role provide substantial pay? If so, I'd like to give notice at the factory, so I can perform my new duties properly."

"You'll make enough, plus a little extra. But for now, go ahead and talk to Phil. I'll get you squared away before the meeting. You start your new job immediately."

The lion bared his neck, then made his way to his soon-to-be former employer. Mason returned his attention to Vincent. "Alright. Now that's taken care of, I need to meet with the police chief. Did you want to come along?"

"Sure. Is he a lycan too?"

"Nah, he's human. He knows about the supernatural, so you don’t have to avoid talking about your magic. The station’s just up the street, if you want to walk some more."

"Sounds good." They grabbed each other's hand and started walking. When they were about to turn the corner, Vincent noticed the small amount of shade created by the interplay of sunlight and building angles. "Hey, Mace?"

"What's up?"

The mage thought for a moment. "Since I helped you with Caleb, do you mind helping me with something?

Mason stood still. "Sure, what’s on your mind?"

"Dave brought up an idea about my powers, and I haven't been able to test it.”

The wolf appeared apprehensive for a moment. "What's the test?"

Vincent let go of his hand and walked over to the shadow line parallel to the building’s back wall. "I want to see if I can take someone in the shadows. It's only going to be from here to about halfway down the wall."

The wolf's eyes widened in surprise. “Travel… in the shadows?” Mason scratched his head and smirked. "Let's do it."

Nodding, Vincent held out his hand for Mason. "In theory, I should be the only one that has to touch the shadow." The mage prepared himself for the test. Don't know how much energy this will take, but I won't know until I try. "Okay, you ready?" Seeing a nod from Mason, he focused on his emotions. "Three. Two. One."

Vincent dipped himself in the shadows and skated over to the destination, but stopped short when he realized his hand wasn't gripping Mason's. He reappeared halfway down the wall to see the lycan’s eyes tightly shut and body completely tensed up. It didn't work. He's still at the start.

"Welcome to the shadow realm, hot stuff!" As Mason frantically looked around, Vincent chuckled at his little joke.

Mason growled, "Ha ha! Very funny. So, it doesn't work?"

"Got one more theory. Try standing in the shadows with me." He walked back over and stepped in place next to Mason. "Three… two… one!"

Vincent felt heavier. He was still holding Mason's hand. It works! It really works! Looking at Mason’s colorless appearance, the lycan gaped.

“This… what’s this?” Mason whispered.

“We’re in the shadows. C’mon, let’s walk for a bit. Just be careful where you do. If you try to step out of the dark areas, your body will hit an invisible wall.”

Mason’s voice trailed, clearly mystified with the experience. “This is amazing. You… you get to do this whenever you want?”

“Y-yeah,” Vincent stuttered. He took a deep breath as he became lightheaded. What’s this? It’s like my energy pools are depleting. I’ve never had this problem with my shadow magic. Is… damn!

“Vin, you good?”

The grip on his hand tightened, and Vincent could hear Mason’s concerned tone. He slowly nodded. “Yeah. I wasn’t expecting a passenger to take up so much magic.”

Mason whined, “Then let’s stop before you hurt yourself!”

Holding up a finger, Vincent wasn’t ready to quit. “I… I need to explore my limits.” The mage felt weaker by the second. When his knee started to wobble, he released the magic, bringing color back into his vision. Thir… Thirty seconds. That’s all I can do. Huffing, he leaned against the warm brick wall. If I run as fast as I can, I normally go about twenty-five thousand miles per hour. Divide that into minutes… then into seconds… Vincent sighed, unsatisfied with the performance. Calculates to seven miles per second. Thirty seconds means two hundred and ten miles when carrying someone.

That’s providing I can run with them. More tests are needed. Can the person holding my hand run with me at the same speed? Do I have to carry them? Countless questions rose in his mind.

“Vin!” Mason snapped him out of his trance. “Shit, do you need a doctor?”

Catching his breath, Vincent shook his head. “N-no. Just need a minute. That was the first time I had problems with my shadow magic. I underestimated how hard it was to take someone with me.”

The alpha scowled, so Vincent smiled and gently touched Mason’s arm. “I’m fine, really! I just need a minute to catch my breath.”

“That’s good and all, but you need to be more careful. I know it’s important to you, but it won’t be worth it if you end up injuring yourself.”

After taking several long, deep breaths, Vincent felt comfortable. He realized he needed to practice more, but knew it wouldn’t happen any time soon. “Didn’t mean to scare you like that.”

“As long as you’re okay. I just got you in my life, and I couldn’t bear to lose you so quickly.” Mason closed the gap and pulled Vincent into his arms.

Touched by the statement, Vincent melted in Mason's embrace. He searched within his heart and mind and realized he felt the same. There's a pull in my chest, and one in my head at the same time. Vincent turned to look at Mason. And it's pulling me toward him. Is this a byproduct of our bond? He chuffed out loud. Doesn't seem too bad.

"Hey, what's so funny?” A hand ruffled his hair.

It felt strange having a strong connection to a man he just met. But it feels so natural! "Nothing. I'm starting to feel this… this pull. It feels almost euphoric to be near you."

"That might be our bond. That’s what I’ve been feeling ever since I first saw you."

"You've felt this way this whole time?" Nestling onto the lycan’s chest, he felt guilty. Why did I get a delay? Is it because I’m human?

Mason gently squeezed Vincent. "Ever since I got your scent at the store. I've been aching to hold you like this."

The deep, ragged voice turned Vincent into a puddle of goo. He could stay and listen to Mason for hours, but he knew there was an itinerary for the day. "Don't we need to get going? You got your meeting with the police chief."

Mason grumbled, "Yeah, yeah. I'd like to take this back to my place, but you're right." He pulled out his phone and shot someone a text. "We'll walk over to the police station. I imagine Henry will want to talk to you since the mercs were after you."

"Okay, let's go." The two men held hands while walking around the building. Mason led the way, and Vincent enjoyed the large man pulling him. He kept noticing passersby and was surprised when they bent their necks towards them. I’ve seen some of these people grocery shopping at the store. I would have never guessed they were shifters! A strong wish came to the mage. Wish I was a shifter. I’d be able to see them coming. He looked up and admired Mason. Maybe… I need to read more about it.

Several minutes later, the couple saw the police station. It was a decent-sized building, and with the parking lot, it took up the majority of a city block. Vincent had never stepped foot around this area of the city. Mason led him up the small flight of concrete stairs and into the building. Stunned by the interior, Vincent let his eyes wander. Well, this is fancier than I imagined!

The lobby was painted pearl white, marine blue, and mustard yellow in a simple horizontal pattern. Tall, artificial, potted plants marked the corners of the room, and a large, laser-engraved, stainless-steel ‘Owensville Police Department ’ sign hung behind the reception desk.

Mason approached the woman sitting behind it, never letting Vincent’s hand go. “Mornin’, Tina. How’ve you been?”

The young, red-haired receptionist looked up to see who it was, and immediately blushed, matching her face to her hair. “Um, Mr. Wilson! G-good morning! So good to see you. Chief Henry told me to expect you. Let me page him.” She fumbled with the phone, pressing buttons as fast as she could. Mason ushered Vincent to the waiting area.

Vincent had a blast deciphering the scenario. Oh, my gods! She has the hots for Mace! That’s hilarious! Leaning his head towards the wolf’s chest, Vincent had to ask. “You do know, right?”

Mason’s grin was evil. “Oh yeah, I know.”

“You’re so mean.”

The lycan rolled his eyes. “Can I not have some fun around here? She knows that she can never get me. It’s common knowledge in town that I don’t play for the home team.”

“Mr. Wilson!” Mason and Vincent turned their heads to look at Tina. “Chief Henry’s ready for you. He said you’d know the way.”

The two men stood, and Mason walked to the right of the desk with Vincent in tow. Just as they passed Tina, Mason shot her a wink, causing her face to glow red again. Vincent barely caught the move and pinched his boyfriend on the biceps. “Hey, what was that for?”

“You know why.” The mage innocently looked at Tina. “When I’m not around, feel free to smack him.” The receptionist tried to muffle a giggle. Vincent turned and stepped up the pace to prevent getting lost.

Seeing more of the building, Vincent got his first glimpse of the actual work area of the Owensville Police Department. There were desks facing each other with officers in uniform or OPD-branded polo shirts staffing them. Even with his human nose, the smell of papers being copied and coffee brewing filled the air. There were a couple of sketchy guys sitting across from an officer’s desk, but Vincent paid them no mind. They’re probably here to get grilled for doing something.

Mason made his way past the working area and approached a glass door with the decal, Chief H. Vough. He knocked lightly on the frame. “Come in.” Vincent took a look around when the alpha opened the door. Beautiful cabinet behind an ornate desk. Several family photos, along with a few framed guns and leather-bound books. Seems like an alright guy.

Henry looked up from his keyboard. “Wish this was under better circumstances, Mace.” The chief squinted at Vincent. “Who’s he?”

Just as Vincent was going to introduce himself, Mason put himself in between the seated man and the mage. “This is Vincent. He’s my mate. He was with me last night when we were attacked.”

Henry stared at Vincent for a moment. He then stood, extending his arm for a handshake. “I’m Police Chief Henry Vough. Pleased to meet you Mister… ”

“Bolton.” The mage took the man’s hand and shook with it. “Vincent Bolton, sir. Pleasure to meet you. If there’s anything I can do to help, I’ll do my best.”

“Well, not to be rude, but other than a statement concerning last night’s events, I’m not sure how else you can be of assistance, Mr. Bolton.”

“Sir, I’d be happy to give an accurate statement. I feel obliged to tell you I’m a mage. I’m not aware if you have any on the force, but if you ever need one, I’d be happy to help.”

Henry leaned back in his chair, causing a few creaks. “Just when I thought this town couldn’t get any crazier. Forgive me, Mr. Bolton, but am I safe in assuming you’re the reason that a certain truck’s being thawed out in the middle of August?”

Vince nodded while blushing.

“That was an impressive amount of frost you conjured.”

Mason chuffed. “Yeah, and that’s not all he can do.” Henry raised an eyebrow as the alpha grabbed his wallet and pulled out several dollar bills and handed them to Vincent. “You mind grabbing some candy bars real fast?”

Vincent caught the wink at the end of the sentence. Gotcha, big guy. He looked around the room and saw the air vent in the back corner near a side table. “Um, Chief Vough? Where are the vending machines at?”

“Through the cubicle areas, down the stairs to the right, and you’ll see the sign for the break room.”

“Gotcha! Be right back.” Vincent walked toward the back of the room, away from the door.

Henry cleared his throat. “Door’s that way, Mr. Bol—”

Before the chief could finish, Vincent put a finger on the grate and vanished. He peeked through the vent to see the flabbergasted man stare at the disappearing act.

Traveling through the shaft, he found the break room. There were a few officers chatting near the coffee machine, but Vincent was more focused on his route. Okay, I’m in the ceiling vent. I can squeeze through the tile edges to the back of the machine. Slithering in the shadows, Vincent connected to the vending machine’s side through the back of the mounted cabinet. As the two officers left, he emerged from the shadows.

Putting the bills in, he pushed the buttons to dispense the snacks he wanted. The final bill was returned. The tiny screen displayed a generic error message. He shrugged and settled on splitting the bar with Mason. Going back the way he came, Vincent stopped at the office vent before materializing.

He saw Mason withdraw Stefan’s letter and put it on Henry’s desk. “The bastard left it in Vin’s apartment this morning.”

Henry ran his hand over his bald head. “You’re telling me this guy is running around Owensville as we speak?”

“No, Henry. He probably pulled a stunt like Vinnie just did. I doubt he’s hanging around town.”

“I’ll add this to the file we have, but I’ll get in touch with my FBI contact to see what they got on this Gregoro.”

Not wanting to seem like an eavesdropper, Vincent emerged from hiding. “Sir, I think your vending machine might need to have the money emptied or something.”

Blinking wildly, Henry stammered, “I… I’ll let Tina know. So you can move in the shadows, huh? I think I’ll take you up on that offer to help the force one day, Mister Bolton.”

“Any time, and it’s Vincent.”

The man smirked and opened a desk drawer. “Alright, Vincent. You mind writing down a statement of last night’s events? I just need the details before the crash, all the way up to Poll and Ingle arriving.”

Vincent nodded, took the offered pad and began writing. He left nothing out. From seeing the headlights coming to phasing through the truck to pin down the remaining merc. After writing over a page of notes, Vincent handed the pad back to Henry. “Hope this helps out.”

Henry reviewed it and smiled. “Now, if all statements could come in this well laid out. Thank you very much, Vincent.” He set the pad down on the desk, and interlocked his fingers. “Mason gave me a little insight on the man you’re going after, but he doesn’t know as much about him as you. What can you tell me about this Gregoro character?”

Vincent felt cold as he recalled the depressing memories. “He’s the man who murdered my parents seventeen years ago. Stefan Gregoro is an Italian, around fifty now, and a powerful mage. He possesses the clairvoyant, fire, and shadow affinities. I haven’t seen him since that night, and he hasn’t contacted me until now. Every now and again, he sends hired killers my way. Most of them are pretty incompetent, but there are some like these two that do some damage.”

Henry jotted down a few notes before leaning back in his chair. “I want to assure you two you’ll have OCPD’s full cooperation on this. He’ll answer for what he’s done. I guarantee it.”

The amount of support Vincent had received in a such a short time was overwhelming. Mason sat next to him and whispered, “Hey, it’s okay. When he says he guarantees something, it happens.”

Vincent rubbed his eyes dry and composed himself. “Sorry, I need to learn to quit crying.”

“That’s not true.” Henry stood and walked around to the front of his desk. “Emotions like that promote growth. You’ve been hunting the same man for several years. That’s something you only see in movies. Not even our detectives go over a year when chasing someone. Hold on to that dedication; it’ll get you far in life.

“Mason, I’ll get this letter sent to forensics, and have this statement put in any database Gregoro is in. I’ll send you an email if anything pops up.”

“Make it a call, Chief. Hate to step on justice’s toes, but if I get the chance, I’m killing this bastard.”

Henry snickered, “I didn’t hear that. Vincent, it was a pleasure meeting you. Have Mason give you my personal number in case you ever need anything.”

Vincent patted his eyes once more and shook the man’s hand. “Thank you, Chief Vough.”

Mason held Vincent’s hand as they made their way out of the station. “How about we head back to the house and chill a bit? I think you could use a few minutes to collect yourself.”

Considering the offer, the mage shook his head. “I’m good, big guy. If you don’t mind, I’d like to keep walking with you. It’s too nice of a day to be cooped up inside.”

“We can do that. Just make sure you don’t get overloaded. We still need to stop by my parent’s place today. Mom’s been wanting to see you.”

Vincent tensed up a bit. Meeting Momma Wilson. That’s going to be a real fun time. “Is this going to be like meeting your dad? Walking in with you saying he wouldn’t eat me, then he turns out to be a giant?”

Mason laughed out loud, causing a couple passing heads to turn. “She won’t eat you.”

“When are they expecting us?”

“I don’t think they wanted us over until the afternoon, so we got a few hours to kill. You want to walk up to the park and relax a bit?”

Vincent smiled and nodded. “Yeah, sounds like fun!”

Mason sent a quick text on their way to the park.

***

When his phone went off, Dave checked to see if it was Mason again. Going to the park, heading to parents’ place around 1. You still good to be there?

He sighed and thumbed a reply. Tossing the device on the nightstand, he rolled over and closed his eyes. He was grateful for the break in monotony. It was starting to get a little boring around here. Hate the premise, but at least Mace found his mate. Hopefully Vin can keep him occupied.

On the other hand, I can’t wait ‘til he gets back to work. I almost forgot he’s one of the better stockers. One night off and the times tank! Dave looked at the phone’s clock to see it was still early; a few minutes past ten in the morning. I can get a short nap in before heading to Lei’s. The wolf burrowed his head into the pillow, pleased with its coolness.

Just as he was about to drift away, the phone went off again. He grumbled, “Can’t wait to go back to dayshift.”

It was the Greenthumb store manager. Just had to let John go, came in plastered and knocked over the endcap with all the spaghetti sauce.

Dave howled in anger and pulled the blanket over his head. It’s a damn grocery store! How hard is it to work at a fucking grocery store? ‘Bout damn time they catch him drinking on the job! That endcap was a pain to put up, and now I’m going to need to order more product. Great, just great! Just as Dave laid his head back down, a tone pierced the silence. I swear to the Gods. If this isn’t crucial, life or death, or simply the end of the world, someone’s about to get barked at! Rolling over, for what the wolf wished would be the last time, he picked up the phone. Kelly. This chick is crazy! Irritated that his newest fling was messaging him, he opened it. The message did not convey anything positive for their relationship. It’s just a bunch of emojis. Like… is this supposed to be a sentence? Girl raising hand, blue car, red circle with a line, kissy face, right arrow, office building, right arrow, house. What in the hell is this? Dave decided to ignore it.

The wolf put his phone on ‘Do Not Disturb’ mode and made sure his alarm would push through the setting. He scooted himself deep into the bed, moving his legs across the sheets to feel the cold fabric brush his hairy legs. Time to finally sleep.

***

The couple had a terrific time at the park. Mason and Vincent did just about anything and everything there was to offer. Vincent felt like a small kid again when his man dragged him over to the swings and began pushing him. Feeling the wind rush past his face, the mage felt joy run through his heart for the first time in a very long while. Mason pushed him a little too hard a few times, causing a fear of falling. But it was quickly taken away as the wolf slowed down the momentum.

Vincent found a large tree and wanted to sit by it for a while. Placing himself under the shade of the large maple, peace flowed through him. The feeling was short-lived; he opened his eyes when he heard clomping. His mate was running straight at the tree full speed from a nearby angle. What… what is he doing? He isn’t going to tackle the tree, is he? Much to his surprise, Vincent watched as Mason leapt into the air and grabbed onto the tree. With cat-like agility, the wolf scaled the twenty-foot trunk until he latched onto the first thick branch, swinging himself to straddle it. Huh. Wolves can climb trees. Good to know. The wolf stared at him while Vincent remained seated.

People came up to them at the park. They bared their necks, introduced themselves, and welcomed Vincent to town. He was ecstatic with all the good wishes, and in return, gave them a heads up about his mage’s dance and how it was important to bring a coat. This prompted some puzzling looks, but even after meeting the young man, they promised to heed his advice.

He returned to the tree when Mason received a call. Sitting, he decided to meditate.

Mason approached and nudged him on the shoulder. “Hey, hot stuff. You doing okay?”

“Yeah, I’m good. Just focusing on my energy.”

“I wouldn’t have guessed. Anything special you were focusing on? Unless my weather app’s wrong, it’s a little chilly being around you.”

“I figured it would be. I was storing a little bit of power for my dance. When a mage stores energy, it can change some physical traits, like body temperature, skin pigment, and eye color.”

Mason was clearly amazed. “Okay, so why would a mage need to store power?”

Vincent bobbed his head from side to side. “Couple of reasons. Preparing a mage’s dance is a common one for storing energy. For the most part, it’s always important to put a little bit away for emergencies, like fights or planned practices.”

“Gotcha. So later this week, what should I expect you to look like?”

Frowning, Vincent shrugged. “I’m not actually sure. I’ve read documents saying a frost mage’s skin turns white, and hair gets frosted over. Clairvoyant storing ends up changing eye color and the skin around the eyes. No one has documented anything about storing a shadow mage’s power.” He smiled. “I guess I’ll have to be the one to take note of everything that happens. I never thought about actually writing what it’s like to be a shadow mage. That kind of information needs to be out there in the magical world.”

The alpha’s smile was full of pride. “I’ll be happy to help when you decide to release that info. How about we grab a sandwich and make our way over to my parents’?”

“Sounds like a plan.” Vincent nodded and let the wolf take him away. Getting a little hungry, and I can imagine the amount of food Mason's going to eat. They walked back through the park and up a couple blocks, stopping in front of Nini's, a delicatessen specializing in large panini sandwiches and homemade dips.

Mason held the door open and Vincent stepped inside the shop. He had never been in it before but knew instantly it wouldn't be his only time. The sound of searing meats, along with orders being barked across the kitchen filled the air. The mage, even with a human nose, was bombarded by smells within the shop. Garlic, pepperoni, Cajun seasonings. Jeez, is there anything this place doesn't have?

"Wilson! You mangy mutt!" The shout caught Vincent’s attention. He saw a tall, built woman with red hair behind the counter, sporting a black apron and bandana. "You and your friend better get up here and order! We're about to get slammed with the lunch rush."

That’s a Chicagoan accent!

"Yes, ma’am! Vinnie, meet Morrine. She's the owner of this little chop shop. Best sandwiches in town."

"You're damn right! You want your usual?"

"Yeah, and get Vinnie one too."

Vincent was hesitant about introducing himself. She's so boisterous, it's almost intimidating! Right before he put his hand out, Morrine shoved her arm over the counter.

"Like the big doofus said, name's Morrine, sweetheart! Just so you know, Wilson here just ordered you a footlong stromboli. Think you can handle that, or would ya like it cut in half?"

The mage smiled once Morrine dropped the tough lady act and shook her hand. "I’ll have a half-sandwich please."

"Sure thing, sweetie." She turned to the kitchen staff and her stern demeanor returned. "One and a half Mona Lisa's, extra muenster, double toasted! Special guests, make it with love!"

The kitchen staff repeated the last sentence in chorus. "Make it with love!" The workers went in different ways and gathered the supplies before taking their stations.

Mason tried to tug the mage away, but, wanting to watch the staff work their magic, he would not budge. They move like a well-oiled machine! Just tossing the stuff around with ease and precision. He felt like a child admiring their rhythm.

Not even three minutes later, Morrine handed over a tray with two foil-wrapped sandwiches, accompanied by packets of the shop's air-fried chips. The sandwiches, even the six-inch stromboli, looked like they were meant for royalty.

Mason grabbed the tray, and Vincent took the cups to the fountain machine. With both men seated, they dug into their food. Taking his first bite, melted cheese and marinara oozed out, making a mess over his wrapper. Who cares? This is the best sandwich ever!

The wolf chuckled every time he tried to start a conversation; Vincent only hummed in response, too busy stuffing his face. Once the men were finished with their meal, they threw away the trash and waved goodbye to Morrine. Returning to the street, Mason and Vincent made their way to Lei's truck. "Have you had fun so far today?”

“Today’s been great!” exclaimed Vincent. “It’s been quite a while since I had this much fun. I know there was some business stuff, but you really made it exciting. And I didn’t know the people in this town were so cool with everything. I figured one or two would get angry over us holding hands or something.”

Mason pulled him closer. “Like I said, I run a very progressive pack. There’s only a handful of people in town that have issues with the gay community. Even though there aren’t many mages in town, I don’t believe anyone would have an issue with magic. I’ll admit, I’m surprised Henry was cool with your shadow powers. You should’ve seen his face when you left through the air vent.”

Vincent laughed. “Oh, I saw. When I show someone my shadow affinity, I always hang around for a second to see their face. Henry’s was pretty good. Caleb’s was even better!”

“Yeah, I would have paid to see that.” The couple were coming up on the rusty truck. Vincent had an inclination of what Mason had planned, so he placed himself against the passenger side door. Mason’s eyes flashed gold as the wolf closed the distance and gave Vincent a light peck on the lips. “I see what you’re trying to pull, Vinnie. As much as I want to kiss you until your knees give out, my wolf would rather do all of that when we get home."

The mage looked disappointed. “I thought you were my destined mate.”

“I am, but my title can’t get us out of public nudity charges.”

He chortled. So he’s not too high and mighty. That’s nice he’s humble with his status. “Shouldn’t we get going?”

“Yeah,” sighed Mason. “We’ll get you introduced to Mom, then I’ll need to do a conference call with Dad, Dave, and the surrounding alphas. You okay if I leave you with Mom for a bit?”

“As long as she’s tolerable. You did say she wouldn’t eat me, right?”

Mason laughed and shook his head as he hopped in the truck. Vincent stepped in, rolled down the window, and wondered what kind of person Mason’s mom might be like. I hope she’s nice.

***

The drive proved to be longer than Vincent expected. Wow, they really live out of town! I feel like we've been on this road forever. The mage looked at the clock on his phone and was mildly surprised to see only fifteen minutes had passed.

Mason pulled into a paved driveway, marked Wilson on the brick mailbox post. Vincent gasped. It's gorgeous! The home was a two-story Cape Cod style with an attached three-door garage. The front patio wrapped around to the other side, giving the home a much bigger appearance, especially since the roofline was a steeper design. With the siding painted light gray and charcoal roof shingles, along with the white columns in front of the porch, the house appeared modern for the 1930's design.

The mage snapped out of the trance when Mason kissed his cheek. "You coming, hot stuff?" Vincent nodded and got out. Mason walked on the stepping stones leading to the front door and shouted, "Mom, Dad! We're here!"

Vincent sped up to remain close. Nervousness set in. He only had Mason in common with the other lycan. Part of me thinks this is moving too fast, but I can’t think of a reason to run away. His thoughts were shut down as the door opened slowly.

"Mace! Vincent! So good to see you two!"

The voice was familiar! No… Fucking… Way! He turned to find Mason grinning. Looking to the porch, his jaw fell when he saw Elaine.

Copyright © 2020 astone2292; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 46
  • Love 41
  • Haha 10
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

1 hour ago, mikedup said:

Crazy great chapter, I am glad that the town people a felted them without any problems,Mason seemed to really enjoy the trip in the shadows, Elaine seemed to be really ready for them

Always good to see your compliments! I've envisioned a date between the two later in the story when Vincent builds up his stamina a bit. Ya, know...to go sightseeing ;D

  • Like 5
Link to comment

I would have loved to see the chief's face when Vincent went into the vent. That would been hilarious! Vincent seemed to be having a fantastic day even though he was disappointed with the kiss a little bit at first. But the scene of when he seen who Mason's mom was at the end of the chapter was by far the most shocked, I bet, we have ever read in the story so far. Mason's family will get along with him completely! So happy for the gay mates so very much! 

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator

Now Vin knows he can take someone with him in the shadows and it may come in handy.

If he enjoys seeing the look on people's faces when he does his shadow routine, he should start snapping pictures. It would make a funny album.

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

I was a bit offended by Chief Henry's first comments to Vinnie when Mason entered the office.  He made a quick turnabout when Mason introduced Vinnie as his mate, but was laughing as the Chief was practically drooling over Vinnie's abilities when Mason and Vinnie left.  The introductions to those in the city went well and Vinnie's reception gave me the warm furries.  The most fun was the dreaded meeting of Mom.  I would have like to have a picture of Vinnie's face when he realise who Mom was.  Another great chapter.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
4 hours ago, raven1 said:

I was a bit offended by Chief Henry's first comments to Vinnie when Mason entered the office.  He made a quick turnabout when Mason introduced Vinnie as his mate, but was laughing as the Chief was practically drooling over Vinnie's abilities when Mason and Vinnie left.  The introductions to those in the city went well and Vinnie's reception gave me the warm furries.  The most fun was the dreaded meeting of Mom.  I would have like to have a picture of Vinnie's face when he realise who Mom was.  Another great chapter.

At least Henry didn't call Vincent "boy." That might turned some heads... or Mason would've taken Henry's off. 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment

Henry would've gotten a throat punch if he called Reilly a squirt in front of Sebastian. 🤣🤣

Love how Mason "muzzled" Vincent... you slay me! So glad you finally discovered spell check😘

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
10 hours ago, kbois said:

Henry would've gotten a throat punch if he called Reilly a squirt in front of Sebastian. 🤣🤣

Love how Mason "muzzled" Vincent... you slay me! So glad you finally discovered spell check😘

White Flag I Give Up GIF by Film Riot

I gets it, I gets it. It's all fixed in the edits and it reads nice and purty. 

But the joke's on you. That just means you'll need to read this story twice; once now, then once after the edits are posted. 

  • Haha 3
Link to comment

Another great chapter but I think that Mace was a bit of a naughty mutt 🐶😂for not telling Vinnie who his mother is 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
16 hours ago, Bft said:

Another great chapter but I think that Mace was a bit of a naughty mutt 🐶😂for not telling Vinnie who his mother is 

Mason has some communication issues, but I think he did this one on purpose. 

Silly alpha, tricks are for leporidae shifters...

Link to comment

Still an evil artist. I'm simply amazed that on reading this for a third time, I'm gripped just as tightly as the first go round. I don't think I'll ever get tired of your work. 

  • Love 2
Link to comment
13 hours ago, RainbowPhoenixWI said:

Still an evil artist. I'm simply amazed that on reading this for a third time, I'm gripped just as tightly as the first go round. I don't think I'll ever get tired of your work. 

What a treat to wake up to! Thank you so much for the kind words! 💜

  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..