Jump to content
    astone2292
  • Author
  • 7,754 Words
  • 9,054 Views
  • 33 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Love in the Shadows - 1. Chapter 1: Dark Discoveries

Vincent Bolton sighed as he placed the last jar of store-branded spaghetti sauce on the shelf. Hearing the subtle collision of glass meeting metal made his eyes close, wondering how many more times that sound would happen throughout the night. He brushed medium length, dirty-blonde hair out of his face, pulled out his phone, and confirmed the shift had just started an hour before. Vincent mentally groaned at the concept of doing the same thing for another seven hours. Turning to break down a box, he slipped away to the all-familiar recap of how he came to work at a grocery store in the middle of Kentucky.

Rumor had reached him Stefan was in the state. The goal was simple: study and practice affinity, find Stefan, and kill him. Vincent’s eyes darkened as the scene from seventeen years ago flooded his memories. The slender mage had slain his mother and father as if they were mere toys, then turned to the boy.

Little Vinnie, as his parents called him, faced the steel-gray eyes of the murderous man. Tears rushing down the boy’s face, he cried out an uncontrollable sob. He didn’t understand why his mother and father lay motionless on the floor, and how the mysterious person made flames appear in the palm of his hand. One thing was certain, the man had caused these bad things to happen. Vinnie gathered up his rushing emotions, and charged at the intruder.

“Go away! Get away from my mommy!” Vinnie babbled out under the tears and mucus running down his face. He threw punches as hard as he could at the man’s legs. His fists grabbed Stefan’s leather trench coat, and wildly thrashed his arms about to no avail.

Stefan stared at the boy with cold eyes. He placed a hand on the kid's head, and pushed him away. The mage kept his eyes on the child. “There’s no need to spill more blood tonight. Don’t follow me, little one.” The slender man stepped out and vanished before Vinnie’s eyes.

Vinnie could not believe the man disappeared. He ran to the entrance and frantically scanned the outside. The boy’s mind had enough. Ten minutes before, he had his whole world. Now it was gone. He looked back and caught his breath. Wisps. Little wisps of smoke. Vinnie scrambled to get closer. Moving his hand over them, they flowed in the gentle breeze. This isn’t smoke. It’s darkness. He disappeared into darkness! What kind of guy can do that?

Looking at the starry night sky, the nine-year-old boy closed his eyes and made a solemn promise.

Opening those same eyes, twenty-six-year-old Vincent returned to the grocery store.

I’m going to kill that man. No matter what it takes.

***

Mason Wilson pulled into a spot halfway down the parking lot of Greenthumb Grocery. He didn’t usually shop there, but it was pretty late, and his usual grocery was already closed. Mason exhaled, picturing the long lines at the one or two registers probably open. He hated waiting. On the bright side, his long-time friend, Dave, worked there, and they could chat for a bit.

Opening the door of the 2010 Toyota Tundra, a smirk crawled onto Mason’s face while climbing out. Shutting it, he admired his newly acquired truck while walking around it. The grille was black. The rims were black. The interior, the body, and everything that could be painted or upholstered was black. It was love at first sight when old man Richards said it was up for sale. To Mason, it screamed manly.

And his wolf wanted it.

The six-foot-three twenty-seven-year-old stooped to see himself in the side-view mirror. His light brown eyes followed the neatly trimmed beard running along his jawline. His hands roamed through short brown hair to keep it nice and spiky; the wolf wanted to ensure the wind didn’t mess up his devilish good looks.

He surveyed the patio awning showcasing summer furniture and large mulch bags underneath. It also housed the video rental kiosk and metal propane cabinet. Laughter from a darker corner made Mason turn his head to find three people sitting on a picnic table.

Workers, most likely. Break time. Mason shifted to his golden wolf eyes to see if he recognized any of them. A standard-built guy in his forties, an elderly lady in her eighties, and Dave. Smokers. Dave needs to curb that habit. Mason made his way toward his best friend. Can’t hang out long, those cigarette fumes burn my nose like a bitch.

Almost instinctively, Dave turned his head towards his approaching buddy and unveiled a warm smile. “Mace! What’s going on man? Haven’t seen you out here in a few weeks!”

Hands were outstretched and grasped in a firm handshake. “Your store’s the only one open twenty-four-seven in town. Surprised you and your cigarettes haven’t burned it down yet.” The other workers snorted and laughed at their boss being made fun of.

Dave’s brows flatlined as he flicked the cigarette to relieve it of its ashes. “Asshole. Would you believe that I’ve been cutting back? Down to smoking just three a day.” Both men smiled. “What’cha coming in for, Mace?”

“Just a few things. Bacon, eggs, stuff for spaghetti, and a couple odds and ends. What’s with you, don’t you usually work the day shift?”

A deep breath left Dave as the six-foot man folded his arms. “Yep, but we got a couple newbies that need their hands held. Didn’t get the memo when stocking groceries became rocket science.”

Mason bellowed a hearty laugh, imagining high school kids fumbling around, acting clueless.

“I won’t hold ya up. Go on in there, I’ll be clocking in shortly.”

Mason waved as he walked away. Stepping into the slightly unfamiliar store, the big man grabbed one of the tacky, green shopping carts and pushed it into the produce section greeting shoppers. He strolled past the greenery, the lycan was a meat, potatoes, and sandwiches kind of guy, and headed to the bakery. Mason smiled at the lady placing frozen rolled dough onto trays. Fresh. That’s a laugh! Even though it was frozen, the aroma of bread baking was intense, and Mason loved it. He stopped and took a big whiff of the department.

His eyes shot open. He smelt the bread, but there was something else there. Something that had never crossed his nose. Mason’s heart beat faster and his wolf begged for an eye-shift to aid in his search. Abandoning the cart, he prowled onward in the store, passing the meat department. No time, need to find it. Need it now! Urgency moved his feet, as his wolf knocked on his mind’s door. No way. It’s here! Has it always been here?

Mason picked up his pace, walking like a man on a mission. He loped down the sales floor, side-eyeing down every aisle until he found it. Patience was running thin as he was almost to the end of the store. Mason looked up and saw he had a couple aisles left to search. It has to be here, the smell is strong. Gazing down aisle eight, the canned food and pasta area, his eyes shifted amber-gold without him meaning to.

The smell intensified. It’s here! Mason peeked around the corner. Down the aisle, sat a pallet of boxes and plastic-wrapped cases of spaghetti sauce, a cart filled with broken down cardboard, and the most beautiful man Mason had ever laid eyes on. They widened as he stalked the only person who mattered in the store.

The boy wore a vibrant red t-shirt and black pants, with yellow sneakers. He couldn’t have been taller than five-eight or so, and, maybe a hundred-sixty pounds. The man’s chinstrap had not been trimmed for a while. He sported a pair of black, thick-rimmed, plastic glasses that made him look intelligent. Mason lowered his eyes to find his new object of obsession. The black pants were nice and snug on the man’s behind. His ass was subtle, but Mason knew it would be perfect wrapped around his manhood.

Mason growled. The sexy man turned his head Mason’s way and nodded. Quickly moving away, the shifter tried to control his breathing. Short and sexy as fuck.

He’s mine. He’s my mate. All mine!

Air. I need air. Now! Mason rushed towards the exit. Groceries be damned, more important matters were afoot, but he needed to breathe and think. Mason needed out, and he wasn’t afraid to push people aside. He smelled fresh air as he collided with Dave.

The stumble almost caused Dave to fall. “Mace, what’s going on? I smelled your panic from ins—”

Mason glared at Dave with golden pupils. He did not have time for his beta to be surprised. “You. Follow. Now.” His voice sounded like it came from the deep pits of hell. Dave dipped his head to the side. He followed his alpha and lit up another cigarette. He could barely keep up with Mason’s brisk pace as they reached the black truck.

The alpha did an about-face, and stared down the beta shifter. “Who’s the man working on aisle eight? Short, glasses, light beard. Tell me now.” Every muscle in Mason’s body was in overdrive. It took every ounce of willpower to avoid going back in the store and dragging that sexy man somewhere dark and secluded.

“Mace, what did Vincent do to you? Whatever he did to piss you off, it’s done, and I’ll fire him. Just need ya to—”

Mason grabbed Dave by the shoulder, putting intense pressure on his beta, and got face to face. Dave could smell the anger, feel the hot air coming out of the nose, and see shifted fangs.

“You say one word to my mate, and I’ll gut you like a lamb! You got that, Dave?” Mason stared at his bewildered friend. He blinked, realized what he had said, and pushed his wolf down. “I’m sorry. I-I didn’t mean to threaten you.” Letting out a sigh, he reached out and grabbed Dave’s arm. “I walked in, and I smelt him. He smells like lilies at a creek bed. I know he’s mine. He’s mine, Dave.”

An obviously relieved Dave clasped Mason’s back. “Congratulations, man! I’m so happy that you found your mate. No hard feelings, I didn’t know. So did you introduce yourself to Vincent? Or do you want me to help with that?”

Mason looked at Dave like he had been given a pup. Vincent. That’s his name. “You can help set me up with him? I couldn't repay you. What’s he like? Do you know what food he likes?” Looking at Dave, Mason widened then narrowed his eyes, “What time does he go on breaks?”

Dave bent over laughing. “Mace, Mace! Slow down man. One at a time, and I’ll tell you all I know.” Mason leaned over wanting information on his mate.

***

Well, tonight’s been interesting. Dave went on break. Five minutes later, a mountain of a man entered the store, stopped, then made one hell of a bee line for me. Vincent’s mind moved a million miles an hour. His first ward at the bakery had been breached, followed by his second personal one over the aisles on both sides of his. Damn, man moved fast!

***

The mage was well versed when it came to a fight. His affinities blended together well. Vincent had become adept in clairvoyant abilities beginning at the age of eleven. Putting up wards alerting him to movement his way was easy. At sixteen, he was able to establish a mental sight ward, a supernatural security camera.

At twenty, Vincent acquired a second affinity: frost. He spent days experimenting with the power, and nights studying dusty books in libraries. He rapidly grasped how to control it. Pushing out with his hands at different velocities, he could summon frost or ice in light powder, or chunky, high-speed hail. After a week of playing around, he could focus the hail into larger forms, and refined shapes. Months later, hail became sharp swords, bulky staves, and delicate daggers.

Then, on a pitch-black night, two years later, Vincent was studying with a pile of books in an Arkansas library. Wanting to be stronger, he became frustrated when unable to understand the concepts and hypotheses on forced learning of other affinities. Vincent stormed out and headed towards the apartment he rented on a weekly basis. His anger circled again in his mind, because he couldn’t force his body to learn a new affinity. Vincent picked up the pace little by little, until he was running down the sidewalk. Tiring out, he gave one last burst of speed, closed his eyes, and shouted at the top of his lungs. Vincent just wanted to avenge his family.

After running for another minute, the young man came to a halt. Hands on knees, he caught his breath. I can’t beat his darkness with just clairvoyance and icy daggers. I need more! Vincent sighed and straightened up to see… Not the state of Arkansas. In place of the small, woodsy town of hickfolk, was the hustle and bustle of New York. Eyes widened and breath shortened, Vincent looked himself over for a clue. A double take was needed when staring at his shoes. Smoke. Darkness. The same as that damned night my parents died!

Vincent took several weeks off from magical studies. The conflict within demanded all spare energy. He possessed the very magic that killed his family. The mage blamed the gods, fate, and destiny for days. Upon further meditation, he realized he had been given power. Power that could vanquish Stefan.

It didn’t take Vincent long to figure out he needed to bottle his anger and learn how to release it in small spurts. The only problem was it came with one environmental requirement, something no other affinity asked for: the user must be touching some sort of shadow. In more detail, he had to stay in shadows to continue using it. Once that matter was met, the mage could move just under the speed of light, and become ethereal in the process. Vincent’s further studies and success in the matter didn’t make him enthused about his newfound power.

The shadow affinity. Regarded as the only dark art in the magical world. Mages could either earn it by devoting themselves to a negative morality, or by doing evil deeds in the world. Or it could be thrust upon them by random chance, but that chance was beyond slim. Less than half a percent of the already small number of humans develop an affinity in the first place. Mages gossiped and rumored about them being devil worshipers, destined losers, and eventually outcasts.

Vincent never saw his power that way. He didn’t gain it from evil morality. It was from frustration. He never harmed someone with ill intent. It took him a couple of weeks to come to an ultimate conclusion. And a second goal came to fruition: he was going to make the shadow affinity something to be proud of.
Combining all three affinities, Vincent could fight any opponent. Search, sneak, and slash. He could perfect them. He could kill Stefan.

***

The hairs stood up on the back of his neck, reminding the mage of the current dangers around. The man’s watching me. Waiting for me to make a move. Vincent decided to exercise his clairvoyance. He knew the guy was watching from the left, so Vincent closed his hazel, right eye. Never done this, but let’s try it. After a controlled breath as he placed a jar on the shelf, Vincent opened his lavender right one. Using his power, he created a new, mobile ward cloud in the rafters above his aisle. He positioned it just outside the corridor to get a good vantage point of his new stalker.

Vincent was impressed. The man was a cut above the usual mercenaries Stefan sent his way. Tall, dark, brooding, and handsome. How much did this guy cost ya, Stef? Am I starting to be a problem for you, old man? What Vincent didn’t understand was why this guy was just watching. Waiting. Lurking.

Not that he minded. The stalker was handsome, and if the guy liked what he saw, that could make it easier to dispose of him. Just in case he tried something, Vincent kept part of his shoe under the shelving unit, stepping into the shadow. He moves, I disappear into the darkness. You aren’t the only shadow mage now, Stefan...

His eye was beginning to hurt after a minute of the stalker just standing there. Vincent had to maintain control of his facial expressions, or the stranger would be tipped off. He continued to move his hands, pulling jars to the edge of the shelf. I need to make it seem like I’m still doing work.

A growl came from the corner of the aisle, and Vincent re-solidified his concerns, but lost his mental grip when he slightly moved his head toward the man in hiding. Looking through his sight ward, he noticed the stalker standing behind the shelf’s end-cap. For the first time, in a very long while, Vincent’s heart beat faster in fear. The man’s eyes glowed an amber gold.

Alpha shapeshifter. Fuck! This won’t be an easy fight. Should I call for Dave? Vincent knew his boss was also a shifter, and he let Dave know he was a mage with some clairvoyance and frost powers. They kept each other's secrets, but Vincent couldn’t let his boss know everything. Dave was pretty strong, and neither would make it out of a fight unscathed. The mage focused all emotion on his lavender eye, keeping it open while maintaining complete control. The stalker took a deep breath and began his trek back towards the meat department, then the bakery, then produce, then the exit.

What? You’re just going to leave after you found me? Pussy. Vincent kept his sight ward moving through the rafters, tailing the retreating shapeshifter.

What Vincent didn’t expect was the mystery man running into Dave. He watched Dave lean his neck, and follow the stranger outside. Vincent gasped and lost control of his eye, reverting it back to hazel. It took a few seconds for his breath to catch up. That took a little too much energy. How does Dave know this guy? Dave couldn’t be a spy, I literally met the dude as I stopped in this shithole town a month ago.

Vincent didn’t have time to worry about details. He quickly walked through the nearby double doors to the back dock. Walking became running, as he used his shadow magic to slip underneath the emergency exit. Once outside, Vincent clung to the shadows along the building wall, leading to the roof. He re-solidified and leaned over the edge, searching for Dave and his partner. Finding two guys the size of football players in an empty parking lot was easy.

The men were in a heated discussion near a black truck halfway down the lot. Unfortunately, clairvoyance did not work with audio, so Vincent had to watch for physical clues. Emotions were all over the place with those two: anger, misunderstanding, happiness. Vincent kept his eyes on both, but his attention wanted to go completely to the alpha. C’mon, Vinnie. Sure, he’s smoking hot, but he may be trying to kill you… Oh, fuck it! Earlier, Vincent got a good view of him, but extra surveillance would not hurt. He stared at the bigger man for half a second longer.

What a handsome face! Sexy beard stubble, pretty stoic facial details, spiky hair that screamed for hands to be run through. Big guy who looked like he worked out. I love a big guy that works out. Vincent admired his stalker. He wished they could have met at a corner bar or in an alleyway. The mage blinked and felt that tingle run through the light hair along his forearms. Vincent looked to meet the gaze.

The alpha stared a hole through Vincent with his amber eyes.

Fuck me! It’s like he knew I was looking at him. Vincent panicked and retreated behind the roof’s edge. Gotta go. Get back inside and just pretend to be a wallflower. The small mage retraced his steps to his aisle, collecting himself along the way, prepping for the fight of his life.

Vincent quickly threw some precautionary wards around his aisle. Alright, he probably can’t keep up with me if we take the fight outside in the dark. I can use my frost daggers to get in close, then get out. Guerilla tactics.

“Vincent!”

His name getting called snapped him out of his thoughts. Vincent looked at Dave. How did you get around that ward? He must have been in the area before I cast the spell. Dave smiled. Why are you smiling?

“How’s the aisle going? Everything good?” Dave’s face showed concern, but Vincent saw the thin layer of nervousness below.

Vincent decided to smile. Gonna leave it all on the table. What’s the worst? A fight that I can run from? “Going good.” He got up in Dave’s face and whispered in his ear, “Back-dock. Now.” Vincent walked towards the double doors. He didn’t need clairvoyance to know Dave was following.

Dave followed the little guy outside with his head down. He appeared confused when he did not find his employee waiting. He looked down the hallway to the right, then walked up further to the hallway on the left.

“Vincent? Where’d ya go—”

His sentence was cut short when Vincent reappeared from the shadows and grabbed Dave’s arm. His back slamming against the wall, Dave got his arm free, and appeared ready to let a punch fly with all his might. His body went still as Vincent pressed an icy dagger against the lycan’s neck. The wolf squinted. “Vincent, what’s this all about? Whatever’s going on, we can talk this out.”

“Hate to do this, Dave, but I need answers, and you’re going to give them to me. Is that okay, boss?”

“Alright, what do you need to know?”

“I want to know who the alpha shifter is that stalked me on my aisle, how you are connected to him, and what your intentions are towards me.”

“The alpha’s no threat to you, Vincent. I need you to know that. I’m his best friend, and I’m his beta. He came in to get groceries, and he got… a little distracted by you. He got a little nervous when you turned around, and bolted like a scared little puppy. He ran into me on his way out, and had me follow to see about… about…” Dave stumbled on his words.

Vincent re-positioned his knife against the wolf’s neck. “About what, Dave?”

Dave looked into the small man’s face. “Well, he may be a big bad wolf, but he certainly can act like a teenager.” The wolf sighed, “My alpha, Mason Wilson, would like to ask you out on a date.”

Vincent’s eyes shot open when his boss said the big and scary alpha who came in this store like a bullet, who stalked him, and ran away… wanted a date. A date. A date? Wait… what?

Butterflies flew in his stomach. That hot alpha wants to see me? Romantically? I’m nothing special, and he probably can get damn near anyone he chooses. A sense of reality sparked through Vincent’s thoughts. Are you kidding yourself, Vin? This guy bolted in here, stalks you, and you’re thinking about letting your guard down to get some dick? He is still a credible threat. A credible, and sexy threat.

Dave seemed simultaneously confused and relieved. The frost dagger disappeared from the human’s hand, and Vincent stepped away. Looking back at Dave, Vincent had to ask, “You’re kidding, right? It’s kinda hard to believe that an alpha’s too chicken to ask a guy half his size on a date.”

“Yeah, he isn’t one to confront his feelings too well, so I’m doing my job as his beta to help convey them. I wanted to let you know his intentions for this Friday evening. I'll be taking you off the schedule that night.”

The mage gave a calculating stare. Vincent was incredibly conflicted. On one hand, Dave‘s been there for me since day one, got me started at this decent job, and helped me find an apartment. He’s been one of the only friends I’ve made here. I do trust him. On the other hand, there are new details that have come to surface about this man. He’s a beta wolf, with an alpha that came in here and acted fairly shady. Now there is a demand for a date with one of the most smoldering hot men I’ve ever laid eyes on?

I need to get more information. And I probably need to share more with Dave.

“Dave, there are things that I need to tell you, and there are more things I want to hear from you. I will agree to the date.” Dave grinned pretty damn hard; he had done his job. “But...” The wolf’s eyes flashed to the smaller man. Vincent glared back, wanting to assert more dominance in the exchange. “You and I need to have a serious conversation. Not as coworkers. As two people keeping each other’s secrets. As friends.”

Friends. The word must have flashed through Dave’s mind too. Both smiled and shook hands. “I’m trusting you with my life with this information. I need you to help me with my goals, and I’ll go on this date.”

Dave nodded, “I’d be happy to help you with anything. I’m all ears, and you know I’m not one to be concerned with much in life, so fire away.” That made Vincent smile pretty hard. “If it’s going to be a lot of stuff to tell, we can probably wait until after the shift. We can grab some breakfast at JD’s then.”

Vincent agreed to the terms, and both men shook hands once more. They left the back dock, and Vincent returned to his aisle, realizing he needed to make up for lost time.

***

Mason waved to Dave as he returned to the store, and climbed in his own truck intending to head home. The two had finalized their plan of attack for the alpha to woo his mate.

Mason wasn’t enthused when Dave admitted the boy was a mystery. Not many details had been shared between his beta and mate, which both angered and pleased Mason. I don’t want anyone to get their hands on him. But I need to know more.

His mate has been wandering around for the past several years, didn’t have any family to lean on, and had recently gotten his life in order. Mason’s heart broke for him. He wanted to swoop Vincent out of that store and into his arms, whispering sweet sayings in his ears. This nearly trumped the other feelings he felt for the kid.

Nervousness crawled in the back of the alpha’s head. He’s a mage. From what Dave said, not too shabby at icy knives, and able to see things happen around him. A dark smile curled on Mason’s face, imagining the joy of sneaking up on the guy. A small wave of pride kissed his mind, knowing his mate could hold his own in the world. I would be honored to fight alongside him, and protect him.

Dave did mention Vincent wasn’t an idiot, and was probably hiding more than he let on. Apparently, the younger man was able to tell Dave was a shifter his first week on the job, and had the balls to strike up a conversation, broaching the topic. Probably caused Dave to shit himself. Mason snickered, boosting his confidence his mate would be perfect at his side.

Mason sent Dave to inform Vincent they would be going on a date Friday. Dave was about to put a finger up, arguing Vincent had a shift, but was met with one of Mason’s infamous ‘make it happen’ stares. The details were Mason’s responsibility. We can head to the city and grab a table at a steakhouse. Going to make sure he gets plenty to eat and drink. He is worth splurging on. Maybe take a nighttime stroll along the river park. Mason’s wolf wanted some heavy interaction with his mate, but things needed to go perfect. There couldn’t be any rushing.

During the drive, one detail of the night’s events bothered him. How did my little mate get to the roof that fast? I’m certain he’s nimble and swift, but to get onto the roof… Mason didn’t bother Dave with those details. I do enjoy the fact Vincent was admiring me. Shows he feels the attraction as well, even as a human.

The wolf didn’t live too far from town, but to most, it seemed far out there. Going above the speed limit on the familiar roads, Mason pulled into the gravel driveway, and parked in his two-car garage. The space was neat, well-lit, and everything had its proper place.

It was attached to the three bedroom, two bathroom ranch style house Mason grew up in. He had acquired the house from his parents when they moved to a much larger estate further outside city limits. When Mason got the deed to the property, he needed to make changes. The house was his, and his parents had left a decent amount of unwanted furniture and smaller trinkets behind. After sorting through the pieces he wished to keep, Mason got a small moving truck and donated the rest. Then ordered all new furniture and art from online and furniture stores in the bigger metropolitan area nearby.

Mason got out of the truck, and took off his shirt, exposing his lightly defined abs.

Need to run.

Impatient about letting his wolf loose, he took the rest of his clothes off in a hurry. Once naked, Mason closed his eyes, and let his wolf come to his mind’s front. Dropping to all fours on the cold concrete floor, his body began to shift from human to wolf. Silver fur rapidly grew from every pore, across every inch of skin. His eyes turned amber gold, teeth changed length, bones and joints painlessly snapped in place.

The silver wolf stood on four legs, measuring just under five feet. He took silent steps out the side door, and turned his head towards the woods hiding behind the ranch house. Mason trotted, increasing speed until his wolf was running towards the treeline.

Just for about half an hour. Maybe get some food since my spaghetti won’t be made tonight. Passing trees at a breakneck pace, all attention was diverted to finding a prize.

Searching for fifteen minutes in the all-quiet forest, the wolf spotted a doe a quarter-mile ahead. Small, but it will do tonight. He stalked. Putting one paw in front of another, avoiding small twigs that might reveal his position, the amber eyes were focused on his meal. The predator easily halved the distance without exposing himself. Silly girl. You need to be more aware. You haven’t looked my way in the past twenty seconds. That'll cost you your life.

Enough toying. Time to eat. The wolf broke his slow pace and rushed into a dead sprint. The doe knew its fate but ran nevertheless. Yes, run from me! A snort of breath left the beast’s muzzle as he closed the gap between himself and the meal. If the need for nourishment wasn’t necessary, Mason would have played with his food by taking a couple of swipes at the doe’s body. But he was hungry for meat. The wolf sped up, closed the gap, and lunged at his victim. Teeth sunk into the collar, and claws ripped the sides. It was over.

Mason’s wolf began eating, getting his fill. His imagination wandered as he continued his meal. He couldn’t wait to chase his mate through the woods and be seen for who he was.

When the mating was complete they’d be able to run together. Mason intended to allow his mate an opinion on the matter, but his wolf demanded a fellow wolf. I will have him. He finished his meal, and let out a howl to the heavens, letting the creatures of the night know he was satisfied. One more snort through his muzzle, and Mason began his walk home.

Returning to the garage to collect his belongings, Mason shifted to his human shape. The previous changes reversed themselves, as his fur receded into his pores. Seconds later, Mason stood naked as the day he was born. Holding his clothes in one hand, he walked through the door, stepping inside the kitchen. Mason walked down the hall to the bedroom and flung his clothes in the hamper. He crawled atop the comforter and rested his hands behind his head.

What a day! I saw my mate, and he is everything I could ask for. Short. Handsome. A little meat on his bones. And my gods, that ass was perfect. Mason’s thoughts soothed his nerves, and caused part of him to rise. He moved his right hand to stroke his now erect manhood. The alpha was proud of what he was given. Uncircumcised and at attention, Mason was slightly larger than most men, and fairly girthy. He was happy with his body hair, but tended to keep his manhood groomed. Left alone, his foreskin would pull the hairs.

The man shuddered as he thought of Vincent and how he should have been there, pleasing the alpha. Mason’s imagination roamed. Envisioning his short mate on his knees, begging to lick Mason’s member. His fantasy had Vincent sucking Mason, only being able to get half the length, and using his hand to stroke the remainder to the hilt. The wolf’s breath tightened as his body approached release. Picturing Vincent’s perky behind in those pants from earlier in the evening, Mason stroked himself faster, wanting to mate with his man. He wanted to feel Vincent under him, writhing from being touched. The fantasy of Vincent pressing his hole against the alpha caused Mason to close his eyes and roar. Ropes of seed erupted across his chest and body.

His breathing was ragged, and Mason realized he couldn’t do this again without thinking of his Vinnie. Vinnie. That’ll be the name I call him. He’s too cute to be called Vincent all day. Blinking several times, Mason collected himself. He was a mess. Rising from the bed, he smeared his spunk across his chest and walked to the attached bathroom. He turned on the shower, adjusting it to his liking. Mason began counting the seconds to Friday night.

***

Vincent was nearly comatose, and Dave rubbed his newly pregnant belly. Gods, watch over this place. JD’s has the best food in town! Dave downed the restaurant's famous lumberjack omelet with ham, cheese, and peppers, along with a stack of pancakes, and a side of crispy home fries. Vincent had every intention of just getting a coffee and the value breakfast, but Dave was not having any of it, and demanded he order something that cost more than seven dollars. Dave stared at Vincent, who looked out the window at the passing traffic while leaning his head back.

“Alright, Dave. Time to talk.” Vincent’s eyes met Dave’s. “Just to clarify, I’m gonna tell you some things that may shock you. All I ask is that you don’t look at me any differently.”

“Vincent, I’ve seen a lot in my days. Not saying I’m an old fart, but I’ve dealt with my fair share of bull. Lay it on me.” Dave rested his elbows on the table, leaning forward so Vincent didn’t have to speak louder than necessary.

Vincent glanced at his empty plate and sighed. Looking up at the wolf, He let his life leave his lips. “As you know, I’m a mage. You know that I’m decent at handling my frost power, and pretty good with my clairvoyance. I’m a little more versed than I let on. Any time I’m off work, I am probably studying, practicing with my affinities, or sleeping. I can definitely hold my own in a fight.”

Dave laughed, but it was clear the statement rattled his nerves. “I figured you were pretty scrappy, but when you had me against the wall, color me impressed.”

Vincent’s cheeks grew warm; he was not used to receiving compliments. “Thanks, but there’s more to my story.”

Dave nodded.

“I’m here because of my past, and a vow I made to myself when I was nine years old.” Vincent’s expression turned cold. “When I was nine, I watched someone murder my parents.”

Dave nearly choked on his coffee. “Vincent! My gods, man, I can’t tell you how sorry I am. Did they catch the guy?”

Vincent furrowed his brows and shook his head.

“Do the police have any leads? Is there anything I can do to help?”

“I appreciate the concern, Dave. The police called off the search a month after their deaths. There were a few clues, but they ran thin fast. The worst thing about that night is that no one believed what I saw.”

“What did you see?” Dave shifted position in the booth, stretching his muscles.

“I saw the man. The guy who killed my mom and dad. He was in his thirties then, and now pushing fifty. Steel-gray eyes, no compassion or emotion in them. Blonde hair, but graying on the sides. Slightly taller than me and skinny. Wore a black leather trench coat and black pants.” Vincent paused for a sip of his soda. “He was also a mage.”

Dave listened carefully as Vincent continued,

“Obviously, something like that can cause a man to be obsessed. And that’s what I am. I researched him over the years. His name’s Stefan Gregoro. He’s an Italian who had lived in America for years before killing my family, and had scoured the world for magical artifacts to make him stronger.

“He’s considered a master in clairvoyance and fire affinities. He burned my parents’ throats when they wouldn’t tell him what he wanted to hear. They died as non-magical folk. When he was done, Stefan walked out the door, and disappeared into the shadows.”

“Did you tell the police which way he went?”

“Dave. I’m being literal.”

Dave looked puzzled.

Vincent stared at his drink and explained further. “He’s also a shadow mage.”

The news caused Dave to sit up straight.

“A shadow mage? My gods, that’s rare! I’ve heard that shadow mages always became evil, but I didn’t think I would be around to learn of one existing.”

Vincent got a bad taste in his mouth hearing Dave’s remark. “That’s another thing I need to talk to you about.”

That brought Dave’s attention back to the storyteller.

“I consider myself an academic. I study, and I study hard. During the last five years, I’ve been across the country, learning as much as I can about my powers, and how I can use them. I’m beyond proud of what gifts I’ve been given.

“But I won’t sit here and let someone trash-talk magical ability. Stefan’s the worst human on this planet, in my opinion. I intend to hunt him down and kill him. But I won’t let you say that we’re evil people because of our gifts.”

“Having power’s something to be proud of, Vincent. Sorry if I insulted you…” The sentence was abandoned.

“Yes, Dave. I see your face. It just slid right off. I’m a shadow mage.” Vincent looked hard into the wolf’s eyes. “I’m not evil. I’m not a pleasant person either, but I’ll be damned if I get labeled in the same boat as a monster like him. It’s my goal to make the shadow affinity something to be proud of.”

Vincent studied Dave’s face like a book. He’s probably got a million things going through his mind. I need to calm this guy down before he chews my head off. “Would you like for me to show you what I can do? I promise I won’t bring harm to you or others.”

“Y-yeah. I’d like that a lot, Vincent.” Dave brought out his wallet, dropped two twenties on the table, and rose before realizing Vincent was gone. Dave inhaled, but he was nowhere to be seen.

A light knock on the window pane caused Dave to step back and sharply turn his head; Vincent had his knuckles against the glass. Dave’s eyes were open wider than ever before.

Dave heard a toilet flush from the men’s restroom and narrowed his eyes. Vincent came out of the bathroom, grinning from ear to ear.

“You look so lost, Dave! I swear, I thought you wolves were pretty good hunters.” Vincent was on the verge of laughing seeing his friend’s irritation. “Alright, alright. That was below the belt. But that’s the main thing we can do as shadow mages. Take a careful look at the floor around you.”

Dave searched around the table. Shooting his head back up to meet Vincent’s, “I get it! You can move in the shadows. That’s incredible! You should be proud of that! How does it work? You just get to do it all willy-nilly?”

“Not really. I can only use my shadow affinity when I’m touching an object’s shadow. I also have to harness and channel my emotions and ride with them as I move. I can almost reach the speed of light.” Vincent shot Dave a smirk. “Makes traveling around the world pretty easy.”

Dave’s jaw dropped. “Wait, you can go anywhere you want? Like different states, or countries?”

Vincent nodded, “Yep. I’ve been measuring the time it takes for me to travel when I’m ethereal. I can travel from state to state in about twenty-five seconds if I run as fast as I can. Because I become a shadow, I can travel on water, and go almost anywhere I please. But it only works when I’m in the shadows.”

Questions were fired at Vincent like if he were lecturing children. Dave’s curiosity could not be satiated. One question struck the mage because he had not studied or experimented with it.

“Can you bring another person when you travel?”

That would require a lot of energy, and I don’t imagine being able to traverse very far. Maybe short distances, but that will require further research. He told Dave he needed to study more about that, and would answer more questions later. The two guys walked out of the diner towards Dave’s older Silverado.

“Alright, I’ve told you plenty about my life. I got a couple questions to ask you.”

Dave looked over and nodded.

“I need to know about your alpha. At least get me ready for this date. Anything I should be aware of?”

Dave laughed loudly at the idea of Vincent getting ready for a date with his best friend. “Okay, his name’s Mason Wilson. He’s twenty-seven. Pretty independent guy. Has his own house, and truck. He works on his parents' farm, making an honest living. Mace likes to get things his way, but that’s because he’s an alpha. He’s a compassionate guy, treats everything he owns with pride and delicacy.” Dave grabbed a cigarette from his denim pockets and lit it with a match. Looking down at his coworker, Dave gave him a serious look. “Vincent, he’ll want to own you. Not in any sort of derogatory manner. If you agree to be his m… boyfriend, you’ll be his to protect and please.” The wolf took a long drag and blew smoke toward the morning sky. “And if you say yes to him, you’ll make him the happiest man alive.”

Vincent leaned against the truck. He felt a twinge of pride when learning his date has his life in order. But there was a prick of fear. I don’t like the idea of being some sort of ‘property.’ I’m my own person after all. And I’m not exactly trustful of his initial plan to stalk me. He could have just walked up and had a normal conversation.

“One condition.”

Vincent smirked, seeing the turmoil on the wolf’s face. “Before this date, I need one thing.” He placed both hands in his pants’ pockets, and tapped the tip of his shoe on the concrete. “I demand a little respect from the man who’s penciled himself in my planner. Tell him I would like a proper introduction. And for him, not you, to ask me out. He may be an alpha who no doubt deserves the utmost respect, but it seems a little childish to send someone else to ask me for a date.”

Nervousness and conflicting interest got caught in Vincent’s chest. Am I asking Dave to do the same thing Mason did? The mage’s eyes blinked in confirmation. No. I won’t stoop. If a man wants me, then he needs to… well… man up!

“Dave, I won’t ask you to do something that a certain other person should be doing for himself. Thanks for breakfast. I’ll see you tonight at work?”

“Yeah, I’ll be coming in an hour early to get a head start on the new displays on aisles three through five.”

The two men walked away from each other, Dave towards the driver side door, and Vincent to the passenger. “Oh, and Vincent…”

The younger man whipped his head around as he opened his door.

“I’ll talk to Mason. Expect him at the store before Friday.” The wolf grinned as he dropped into the bucket seat, and closed the door behind him. As the engine came to life, Vincent couldn’t help but sit and think.

On one hand, the very intimidating alpha would show up between tonight’s shift and Friday’s date, and might or might not be in the best of moods. This Mason’s indeed an imposing figure. He wouldn’t be afraid to rip something or someone to shreds for making him do something against his will.

But on the other hand, Vincent would get to see his date a little earlier than anticipated. As intimidating as Mason seemed, Vincent couldn’t help the butterflies in his stomach. The shifter was dark, tall, handsome, and my gods that ass! If he played his cards right, Vincent may get to grab it.

A man can dream. He couldn’t wait to be dropped off to get a little sleep.

Copyright © 2020 astone2292; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 51
  • Love 39
  • Haha 3
  • Wow 2
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments



On 1/17/2021 at 11:42 PM, CincyKris said:

I love the start!  I have an affinity for wolf shifter stories.  Headstall's Morningstar Malaise is my favorite.  Robcub and Mann Ramblings have great ones, too.  Just once, I'd like to see a deer shifter story, they're out for revenge!

Me too I think I have read morningstar like 10x and  Sasha Distan also writes some great ones 

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment

So far loving it but those Mason have a pack seems weird to be an Alpha of one anyway thanks 🤩 continuing 

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment
5 hours ago, drpaladin said:

I remember reading the first part of this chapter and got interupted; somehow I never got back to it. It's too good not to continue. Something tells me this Stefan is about to be tag teamed.

Glad to see you have made the return! I still need to find time to come back for a clean-up edit, but I hope you enjoy it!

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Intriguing premise. The chapter could use a thorough editorial scrubbing. The sudden shifts in tense and point of view were particularly bothersome.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
4 hours ago, Carlos Hazday said:

Intriguing premise. The chapter could use a thorough editorial scrubbing. The sudden shifts in tense and point of view were particularly bothersome.

Pfft, this whole thing needs a bath. It's definitely on my to-do list, and I really needed this reminder! Thank you for commenting!

  • Like 3
  • Haha 2
Link to comment

So happy I was introduced to your story. This is a very cool start. The mix of magic and lycans most definitely has my attention and affection. I can't wait to read more. :)

  • Like 2
  • Love 3
Link to comment

Before I get too far into this story, I feel I should introduce myself. I am famous among the authors of GA as the 'Old Troll, who lives in a cave under the bridge that authors must cross barefoot to get to the publication of a story. I read a story with one eye open looking for errors in the English language No, not errors in punctuation….That is a tar pit worse than La Brea, from which no author is ever able to escape. My specialty is 'homophones', that is words that are pronounced the same but have different meanings, like for example: 'rain, reign, and rein' one meaning water that falls from the sky, another meaning the rule of a King, and the third meaning a leather strap used to control a horse.

There are many homophones in the English language, I have seen lists on the Internet of 300, 400 and 1,000 of them. When an author uses a Spell-Check program, the software will frequently substitute a homophone for a misspelled word. That would require the author to go back over his work again and again with a critical eye to detect these homophones. Sometimes, by that time the author is so sick and tired of revising his work that he will miss those errors. So a 'fresh' eye can be valuable to clean up the boo-boos that the Spell-Check commits.

Another thing I try never to make a comment upon is character dialogue. An author will often use a slang word in entering dialigue into a story just to establish the educational or social standing of a character. That is cool, and is acceptable in any story.

Please note, that any suggestions I make about word substitutions in a story are just that "suggestions", If an author chooses to ignore my suggestions, that is his absolute right. Above all, the author is the creator of the story and may use any form of language in his writing that he chooses to.

OK, enough BS, now back to the story and to my enjoyment if your writing,

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment
21 minutes ago, Will Hawkins said:

Before I get too far into this story, I feel I should introduce myself. I am famous among the authors of GA as the 'Old Troll, who lives in a cave under the bridge that authors must cross barefoot to get to the publication of a story. I read a story with one eye open looking for errors in the English language No, not errors in punctuation….That is a tar pit worse than La Brea, from which no author is ever able to escape. My specialty is 'homophones', that is words that are pronounced the same but have different meanings, like for example: 'rain, reign, and rein' one meaning water that falls from the sky, another meaning the rule of a King, and the third meaning a leather strap used to control a horse.

There are many homophones in the English language, I have seen lists on the Internet of 300, 400 and 1,000 of them. When an author uses a Spell-Check program, the software will frequently substitute a homophone for a misspelled word. That would require the author to go back over his work again and again with a critical eye to detect these homophones. Sometimes, by that time the author is so sick and tired of revising his work that he will miss those errors. So a 'fresh' eye can be valuable to clean up the boo-boos that the Spell-Check commits.

Another thing I try never to make a comment upon is character dialogue. An author will often use a slang word in entering dialigue into a story just to establish the educational or social standing of a character. That is cool, and is acceptable in any story.

Please note, that any suggestions I make about word substitutions in a story are just that "suggestions", If an author chooses to ignore my suggestions, that is his absolute right. Above all, the author is the creator of the story and may use any form of language in his writing that he chooses to.

OK, enough BS, now back to the story and to my enjoyment if your writing,

Hi, Will! 

I believe we've spoken before through PM in regards to my other story, Cernunnos, but I'm really glad to see your introduction! By all means, I love feedback, positive or negative, and I encourage it heavily! If there's a major issue, or several small ones, feel free to shoot me a Personal Message, and I'll be able to go fix it.

I would like to mention that I've been approached by a member of our GA community and we're working on a major edit of this story. This was my first writing adventure and I'm unafraid of admitting its need of assistance. Please enjoy this story for how its written now, and I would love to see a comparison comment between the current version and its successor.

56 minutes ago, Will Hawkins said:

 not to shabby at icy knivess nnot too shabby at icy knivesot too sBBBBBB

 

I'll make this quick little edit. 👍

  • Like 3
Link to comment
11 hours ago, Will Hawkins said:

OK, enough BS, now back to the story and to my enjoyment if your writing,

Without coming across as a smartass, I'm just curious, should the "if" be an "of"  ?

if your writing - to me is a question

of your writing - to me is a statement

  • Like 3
Link to comment
2 hours ago, Peter J. Gee said:

Without coming across as a smartass, I'm just curious, should the "if" be an "of"  ?

if your writing - to me is a question

of your writing - to me is a statement

I'd say "of." 

Also, @Will Hawkins, you're reading Book Two first, according my notifications from your reactions :)

  • Like 3
Link to comment

On my old computer the exchange of an 'I' for an'O' is the most frequent error I will make as the letters printed on the key pads are nearly worn off, and here in Brazil it would be a MAJOR effort to find a computer repair location that has the correct pads to replace them. Unfortunately my learning 'touch typing' was at least seventy years ago. I try to remember to look back over my typing when it comes time to send a message off to the Internet to correct my own typing errors, but sometimes I miss them. In this case you are totally correct, the word should have been 'of'.

Mr Will

  • Like 4
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator
3 hours ago, Will Hawkins said:

On my old computer the exchange of an 'I' for an'O' is the most frequent error I will make as the letters printed on the key pads are nearly worn off, and here in Brazil it would be a MAJOR effort to find a computer repair location that has the correct pads to replace them. Unfortunately my learning 'touch typing' was at least seventy years ago. I try to remember to look back over my typing when it comes time to send a message off to the Internet to correct my own typing errors, but sometimes I miss them. In this case you are totally correct, the word should have been 'of'.

Mr Will

All you need is a set of keyboard letter stickers.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

I saw your latest post for the third story of this series and figured I should start at the beginning.  You have me hook, line, and sinker.  I'm loving this!  The characters, the plot lines, the magic, and the humor.  I'm very much looking forward to the next chapters.  Thank you for luring me in.

  • Love 3
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Quixo said:

I saw your latest post for the third story of this series and figured I should start at the beginning.  You have me hook, line, and sinker.  I'm loving this!  The characters, the plot lines, the magic, and the humor.  I'm very much looking forward to the next chapters.  Thank you for luring me in.

Ooooh, enjoy the series! I'm looking forward to all of the reactions and comments along the way!

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment

This is an impressive start to the story.  The characters have interesting contrasting and complimentary traits.  There is some humour and irony as Mason immediately knows his mate, while Vinny suspects and enemy.  I think it will take a while for both of these guys to come to an agreement about their relationship, including who will be the Alpha.  The characters are very engaging, and the plot has great potential for romance and adventure.  I am hooked!

  • Love 2
Link to comment
32 minutes ago, raven1 said:

This is an impressive start to the story.  The characters have interesting contrasting and complimentary traits.  There is some humour and irony as Mason immediately knows his mate, while Vinny suspects and enemy.  I think it will take a while for both of these guys to come to an agreement about their relationship, including who will be the Alpha.  The characters are very engaging, and the plot has great potential for romance and adventure.  I am hooked!

I'm tickled to see you reading this story, raven! I can't wait to see what you thing of it. A fair warning though, the story's a little rough around the edges :) 

  • Love 1
Link to comment

Not a problem.  I go with the flow of the story, and your stories always have a very good flow.  

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..