Jump to content
    astone2292
  • Author
  • 4,043 Words
  • 4,546 Views
  • 35 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Love in the Shadows - 23. Chapter 23: Alpha Arriving

Vincent’s wolf was surprised and confused. I Alpha? How that be? I know I strong wolf. Human strong. Mate strong. That make me Alpha?

I’m not sure, bud. You seem pretty focused on being strong. Maybe you’re an alpha because Mace turned me.

Yes, make sense. I like you talk. Sound smart.

Well, I wouldn’t call myself smart. I just like to read books.

Read. The wolf huffed inside his mind. Sound boring. Like run and hunt!

Maybe we can try—

“Have talk with human?” Mason’s lower tone captured Vincent’s attention. “That good. Good to bond with human.”

Vincent nodded eagerly. “Yes. Human nice. Good talk with him. Mace human nice.” He noticed a tube in his arm. Picking at the thin tape, he growled. “When can leave? Bed bad. Tube strange.”

“Soon. Look healthy. I switch to human.” Mason’s golden irises turned back to brown. He smiled. “Let me check with Doc and see if you’re fit to get out of here.”

“We leave? Good. Place smells. It bad… Sour and burns.”

As Mason rose, he leaned and kissed Vincent on the cheek. The new wolf leered at Mason’s ass as the alpha left the room. Hot! Mate attract…ive. Attractive.

Yeah, Mace’s a hottie. I could tell he wanted to kiss us on the lips. He probably didn’t want to startle you.

Desire burned within him. I kiss mate on lips. Will do when— He heard footsteps outside the room, and watched a new person enter with a paper bag. Who this? Big shifter. A tantalizing scent hit his nose. He has food.

That’s Caleb, the enforcer. He’s the lion Mace was talking about.

Oh, lion! Vincent grinned at the large, blond man. “You enforcer. Strong lion.”

Caleb set the bag on the counter and gave Vincent a strange look. “Little B? You good, man? You look pretty fidgety.”

“You speak weird. Vincent is good. Who little bee?”

That’s my nickname. Caleb’s called me that since we were kids. He’s referring to my last name, which is Bolton.

Bolton. Name sound strong. I like.

“Vincent,” Caleb muttered, “do I need to get Doc?”

“No, I good. I Vincent wolf.”

The ailouros took a step back. “You’re Vincent’s wolf? Like, speaking? That means you’re an alpha.”

Vincent nodded and his wolf replied. “Yes, know this. You Cay Leb? Nice to meet.”

“Uh, yeah. Nice to meet you too. And it’s Caleb. Just put the two sounds together.”

“Caleb.” Eyeing the bag once more, Vincent’s appetite reemerged. “You bring food? For me?”

Smirking, Caleb opened the paper and set a styrofoam take-out box on the table next to Vincent. “Here you go. Brought you two burgers and fries from JD’s.”

After figuring out how to open the strange container, Vincent licked his lips. Lifting the first sandwich, he spotted the lettuce and tomato. Blegh! No like.

Oh, no. Not you, too! Veggies are good for you and they taste great.

No. Taste like grass. Meat better.

C’mon, at least try it. It adds flavor to the burger.

If say so. Taking a hearty bite, he analyzed what his human counterpart said. He was pleased with the juice and flavor from the tomato, but the lettuce was not impressive. Red thing good. Green thing has no flavor.

That’s what the lettuce is for. It just adds texture.

I live with. Good meat. Before continuing, he removed the lettuce and set it aside.

Caleb laughed. “Not a fan of greens? Me neither.”

Chewing, Vincent nodded and swallowed. “It okay. Human like, but I do without. Red thing taste good. You enforcer. Alpha mate say I am alpha too. Why no submit?”

“R-right,” Caleb stammered. He showed his neck, revealing his mating mark. “My apologies. I’ve been around Vincent for so long, it never crossed my mind.”

Hey, bud, Vincent’s human mind said. I know we just found out that you’re an alpha, but I didn’t ask for the title or the recognition it comes with. Caleb’s a good friend. If he doesn’t want to, I won’t ask for his submission.

Understanding, the wolf glanced at Caleb. Lion look like no want submit. Seem out of place. He shook his head. “No, no want you submit. Human tell me no need. Curious. You mated. Mate strong?”

Caleb snorted. “Oh, she’s something, alright. Tasha’s a leopardess. Took a while before she allowed me to claim her. Your human and her really like to cook together.”

The mention of food brought Vincent’s attention back to his burger. He spoke with his mouth full, “Cook? Vincent make good food?”

“Hell yeah! I had his macaroni and cheese last week. It was awesome!”

Pride warmed Vincent. You cook good food? For me?

Sure thing, bud. You’ll have to deal with more veggies though. I usually hide them with meat and sauces for Mace.

Good! I happy with that. Noticing Caleb standing nearly rigid, Vincent nodded at the bag. “You say two burger. More food. You eat?”

“No, but thank you for the offer. I’ve already eaten plenty.”

Uncomfortable with the lion’s stiff manners, the alpha grasped what his human side was speaking about. “Caleb, you friend. Take breath.”

Caleb’s shoulders relaxed. As Vincent polished off the burger, Mason returned and sat on the edge of the bed. “Good news. You can come home after you finish eating. Doc wants to do one more evaluation, then we’re out of here.”

The promise of leaving the clinic excited Vincent. Caleb handed him the second take-out box, but his appetite was slowing down. He managed to finish half the fries before feeling satisfied. No more.

I’ll say. I’ve never been this stuffed.

When Vincent set the food aside, his other hand was grasped. His breath caught. Skin. It good. The satisfaction of having someone perfect for him bubbled inside. It felt pleasing to the wolf as it rushed to his eyes. This strange, but nice.

“Vinnie,” Mason muttered. “Your eyes… They’re glowing.”

Stunned by the statement, Vincent committed the sensation of power to memory. “Feel strong.”

“I’ll say. You’re showing your alpha eyes. They’re fierce and stunning.”

“Alpha eyes? What color?”

Mason pulled out his phone. “See for yourself, Pup.”

Grabbing the device, Vincent saw himself on the screen. Powder blue irises shone brightly. The wolf touched his face. This what look like. “Long hair, like Caleb. No hair on chin.”

“That’ll change,” Mason confirmed. “I’m sure by the end of the week you’ll have more than peach fuzz.”

Handing back the phone, Vincent swept his legs off the side of the bed. “We go soon? Mate have home? Do… Do I have home?”

“Of course you have a home. We live together. We’ve only known each other for a few weeks, but circumstances led to you moving in with me sooner than expected.”

Cir… cumstance? Bad thing happen?

It’s a long story. I’ll be happy to tell you when we’re alone. You’ll probably get angry if I tell you now.

Understand, but you tell.

I will, bud.

A knock at the door made Mason look over. “Hey, Doc.”

“Doctor?” Vincent stared at the new person. “You help me. Thank you.”

Doc stopped halfway. “Vinc– Er… Alpha!”

As the doctor bared his neck, Vincent sat up straight. “No. No submit. You help heal. You good pack member. Do duty. Need more like you.”

“I… Thank you.” Doc approached with obvious trepidation. “I just need to do a few quick tests. I’ve never seen a human turn into an alpha.”

Vincent had his temperature taken, was asked to do a few stretches, and had blood drawn to verify the lycanthropy’s effect. While being tended to, the newborn wolf thought, Everyone help. This strong pack.

Yep. I’ve only had the pleasure of meeting a few of them, but they’re awesome people. The tiger, Morrine, was the one who made those sandwiches. Old man Richards’ the town mechanic. He thawed out Mace’s truck when we were in an accident, and I covered it in ice to cushion the blow. Mace’s mom’s teaching us how to master our frost affinity. I can only imagine Mace’s dad would want to show you some stuff about being a wolf.

They… They do this? For me?

Of course! You’re a part of me. Everyone’s been nothing but kind to me, and I doubt they’ll treat you any different.

“Vinnie?”

Vincent glanced at Mason. “Yes?”

“Ready to go? Doc’s getting the discharge papers. Here’s some clothes. And before you think about it, no running around naked in public.”

Vincent huffed. “You no fun. You no like me naked?”

Mason’s eyes flashed. “I love seeing you naked. I just don’t need the pack thinking you’ve lost your marbles. Let’s get you dressed so I can take you home.”

Vincent hopped off the bed and stood in front of his mate. The man was taller than him, but that didn’t stop Vincent from pulling Mason’s neck down and kissing him. Breaking away, Vincent growled. “You taste good. I like.”

Handing over a pair of boxer briefs, Mason whispered, “Put ‘em on so I can rip them off in our bedroom.”

With a promise of sex on the table, Vincent hastily dressed. When Mason pointed out his shirt was inside out, Vincent ignored it. Don’t care. Want mate! Approaching his truck, Mason pressed the key fob and the vehicle chirped. Mate truck big!

I know. I hate climbing in this dang thing! I practically need a running start.

Ha! Funny human. Watch. Learn. Opening the door, he palmed the arm rest handle, pushed on it, and hoisted himself up with ease. See?

I… What the fuck was—

Mason tittered. “Okay, you really need to teach your human side how to do that.”

“Did. He saw. He not happy.”

The couple shared a laugh as Mason drove away. On the way, Vincent’s chest burned. He rubbed it through the shirt. “Itch bad. Get worse.”

“Check it. Your chest hair’s probably growing in.”

Peeping down his collar, he found stubbles popping everywhere. “Yes. Growing hair.”

What? His human mind shouted. I have chest hair now?

Be still. You become shifter, we change. Thing happen.

Mason parked in the driveway then led Vincent into the house.

Want mate! The moment Mason closed the door and turned, Vincent pushed on the bigger man. Having Mason pinned, they kissed, their tongues fighting for supremacy. Taste good. Why want to submit?

Mace tends to top us. Trust me, bud. It feels amazing.

Trust you. Only alpha can take alpha. Parting, Vincent breathlessly uttered, “Take me, alpha.”

The golden eyes were unwavering. “Really? Now? I expected you’d want to fuck me.”

“Time will come. I want taken… Now,” he growled. Vincent led the way to the bedroom.

Mason tossed his shirt aside. “I’ll take you, just like the wolves we are.” Mason’s expression changed and he sounded different.

“Now, strip.”

Realizing his mate’s wolf was at the forefront, Vincent obeyed. Kicking his shorts to the side, he stared at Mason’s naked body. Feeling an innate need to please the alpha, he climbed on the bed, knelt on his hands and knees, and put himself on display.

Watching Mason round the corner, Vincent wanted to be claimed. “Take me, alpha. I need.”

Mason approached from behind and kneaded Vincent’s ass. Vincent stared at the wall, awaiting the man’s approval. When a firm prod hit his hole, he bit his lip. He clenched the blanket as Mason’s cock left and his tongue swiped the sensitive skin. “Yes,” he seethed.

Vincent rolled his eyes back as Mason ate him out. As it ended, he heard wood sliding and a cap snapping. “What mate do?”

The sound of sliding wood came from the drawer Mason opened to reach a container inside. “Use lube. Make feel good. No hurt my mate.”

Something warm and slick returned to his hole, and when it slid in, Vincent moaned. Judging from the size, it had to have been one of Mason’s fingers. Why no mate?

He’s getting us opened up a bit. If he just dove right in, we’d be in a world of hurt.

The finger left, and something larger came in its place. It burned and felt out of this world at the same time. Mason pistoned slowly, and with each pump, the pleasure magnified. The moment skin touched skin, Vincent’s pride hit new heights. I take mate. All of him.

There was no lovemaking. It was purely animalistic. Both wolves needed each other. Mason fucked using all his strength, and Vincent had to hold onto the edge of the mattress to avoid slipping off the bed. He didn’t care whether or not his hips would be bruised afterward. Yes! Mate good, mate strong!

Oh, damn… Mace needs to do this more often.

Mason’s grip on Vincent’s waist tightened. “Can’t hold on,” he groaned.

Vincent begged. “Give, mate.” A deep-seeded desire to be bred boiled in his throat. Speaking in a lower and more powerful tone, he demanded, “Mate me, alpha!”

He was slammed into one more time, and Mason grunted. Vincent felt Mason twitch inside him. A sweaty palm smacked his ass, and Mason continued to pump. “We not done.”

As Mason’s cock left him, Vincent was flipped onto his back. Mate relentless!

Oh gods, yes he is. Hey, bud? I know it’s important for you to be out and about, but could I take the reins? I’d love to be in on this.

Course, let switch. Any time. Closing his eyes, Vincent’s wolf relinquished control to his human side. When his eyes opened, Vincent saw stars as Mason’s hips landed hard. He moaned, “Mace.”

The golden eyes looked at him. “Mate? Human mate?”

When the pace slowed, Vincent bit his bottom lip, grabbed the alpha’s pecs, and squeezed. “Uh-uh! Keep fucking me, just like you—”

Mason’s plowing resumed its intense pacing. Vincent attempted to hold the sheets, a pillow, and Mason, but his muscles couldn’t function through the pleasure. Seeing the beastly side of his mate was exotic. Judging from Mason’s clenched teeth, furrowed brows, and labored breathing, he was giving it all. It’s like he needs to assert himself as the best.

Alpha is best. They lead pack, must show.

Vincent’s climax built. Breathless, his mouth was unable to form words. He winced and gasped as he shot.

Mason’s eyes glowed brighter. He lowered himself and thrust one final time. Sweat glistened off him and all Vincent could do was run a hand across the man’s cheek.

With Mason still inside of him, Vincent expected a third round. His hole was sore and tender, but if it was going to be anything like the first two, he could suck it up. “Mace,” he whimpered.

“Vin… cent,” the man huffed.

“You’re Mace’s wolf, right? You…” Vincent sighed and patted the damp shoulder. “You should come out more often. That was amazing.”

Mason laughed behind closed lips. It sounded guttural and sinister. “Can do that. You only human to take me as wolf. Proves you mate.”

“Anytime you want it, big guy. Just say the word. Well… I might need a day or two to recover.”

Pulling out, Mason plopped onto his back. “Maybe. Shifter virus work. You be fine in hour. Need… Need food.”

Giggling, Vincent rolled to side up to Mason. “I can cook. Just need a shower, and maybe a cork to shove up my ass.”

Mason chuckled and cupped Vincent’s butt cheek. “You welcome.”

After a long shower, Vincent and Mason kept their human minds in charge for the rest of the evening. Sauntering gingerly into the kitchen, Vincent opened the pantry and hollered, “What sounds good?”

“I could go for a meatloaf, or we can go out.”

When Mason responded, Vincent looked through the entryway. Did he just talk like normal? And I heard that?

Yes, hear good. Hearing get stronger. More change.

Interesting. So I can have a conversation using whispers? That’s pretty cool. He whispered back, “Or I can use it to make a mean baked spaghetti. Plenty of sauce and cheese?”

Mason entered while pulling a shirt down. “Got your shifter senses. You’re developing pretty quickly.”

Rubbing his itchy chest, Vincent grunted. “Can’t come fast enough. This shit’s annoying. There’s like… two hairs growing on my nipple.”

“You know you can still use a razor, right? I trim my pubes so there’s not a forest down there.” Mason held Vincent from behind and nuzzled him. “No matter what you do or how you change, I’ll still love you.”

“Love you too. But this stuff does stop itching eventually, right?”

“Yeah, plus it keeps you warm. So, spaghetti, meatloaf, or Biacci’s? We can celebrate your wolf being born today.”

Hearing the restaurant’s name, Vincent shut the pantry and zipped out of Mason’s grasp. “Biacci’s! Go, go, go!” In a flash, he opened the bedroom closet and nabbed a navy, dress shirt. When he put it on and buttoned it halfway, Vincent walked over to the full-length mirror. This is—

“What’s wrong, Pup?”

“I lost weight.” The shirt was flowing and baggy around his waist. It wasn’t like that when I bought it. It’s tight around the chest though, and that’s nice.

Mason walked over with a smirk and unfastened the buttons. “You didn’t look in the mirror before putting it on, did you?”

Vincent peeled back the cloth and gasped. He touched his stomach and traced the newly defined abs. I’m fucking ripped! Holy… Brown, curly hairs barely masked the irritated skin. “This is a lot! No glasses, no more fat, and… Hell, I can hear the kitchen sink dripping.”

“Yeah, with the hearing you’ll need to learn to process the sounds and determine if they’re worth paying attention to. It also helps when you need to eavesdrop on a conversation.”

Vincent turned and grimaced. “You mean all those times I was whispering to you, everyone could hear me anyway? You should’ve said something. I could’ve passed you a note or something.”

Mason laughed and kissed his head. “You’ll get used to it, Vinnie. Let’s finish getting dressed. I’ll need a double-helping of that carbonara.”

***

Tierney rolled his eyes as he hung up the phone. Damned mayor. I keep telling him that we’re shifters. Shifters! If he wasn’t such a big-wig, I’d kick his ass for calling us werewolves. Looking at his computer’s clock, he realized his four o’clock meeting was in a few minutes. He clicked on the desktop planner to see the details, but there weren’t any. Not even a name. Might be an interview set by one of the EC.

He unlocked his phone to see a message from Mason. Full moon, September 2nd, need you, Dirk, and Kap here. Vincent’s shifting.

Slapping a hand on his desk, Tierney reveled in excitement. Looks like another trip. He grinned while replying, Consider us there. Congratulations on your bonding!

He emailed Kaplan to arrange the travel plans and coordinate with the lower council to handle things while they were out of state. Rising, Tierney walked across his office to pour himself a Scotch. As he lifted a crystal tumbler, there was a knock at the door. He sniffed. Alpha shifter. Strong one too. “Come in.”

When a man stepped in and closed the door behind him, Tierney appraised him. The tall, slightly pudgy man with rich, umber skin straightened his burgundy blazer. Dressed to impress. His smile could murder. “I’m assuming you’re my four o’clock?”

The man pursed his lips, showcasing a dimple on his left cheek. “Yes, Alpha Scott.” Offering a hand, he introduced himself, “I’m Cyrus Vonder. The Executive Council booked the appointment with your assistant. It’s a pleasure to finally meet you.”

Meeting Cyrus’s grip, Tierney could tell the bear was strong. Not quite a British accent, but it’s blended with a bit of American. A bit higher in pitch than I expected, and it sounds velvety. He could probably sweet talk anyone he damn-well pleases. “Alpha Vonder, would you care for a drink? I was about to pour some Scotch.”

Cyrus grinned and nodded. “That would be delightful, and please, it’s Cyrus. If I may ask, which Scotch?”

“I’m fond of the Talisker ten-year. Light peat and smoke with a touch of orange rind.” Handing Cyrus a glass, Tierney gestured to the two lounge chairs. “I’ve heard a lot about you. The EC sent you here for a mere interview?”

Humming, Cyrus sipped. “This is fine stuff. I’ll look for a bottle for my collection. But to answer your question, both yes and no. The EC wants your input, but for the most part, they have made their decision. They’re waiting on one more vote to insert me as Pack Alpha. I also wanted to meet you personally and get a sense of how the office is run.”

“I see.” Further analyzing the ursus, something confused Tierney. “Forgive me. I smell that you’re a bear, but I can’t put my finger on the breed. It’s unlike anything I’ve ever encountered.”

Taking another sip, Cyrus smiled and giggled. “Please excuse me. I tend to find humor in a lot of things. I get the question frequently. I’m a panda.”

The lycan was taken aback. “Panda. That’s quite rare. Tell me about yourself, if you would. What caused the interest in taking on this role?”

“I was enjoying a rather long vacation when Councilman Bylus emailed me. The thought of running my own pack crossed my mind a time or two over the years, but NYSP? Well, that’s a project I can really sink my teeth into.”

“I know you’re one of their esteemed auditors, but I’m afraid I wasn’t given a resume with the appointment email. Could you give me some highlights?”

“Of course. I’ve been referred to as a fixer among the auditors. I’m usually sent to packs and tribes that require restructuring assistance. I go in, evaluate their current procedures and standards, and offer guidance and advice to their current alpha or acting in-command figure to put their organization back on the map. It’s mostly simple fixes, like finances or morale. Every so often, I’m given a nearly-defunct pack that dictates a complete overhaul. From my research about you and your council, I believe you’re familiar with Oglala Lakota County Pack?”

Hearing about the pack from South Dakota angered Tierney. “I’m familiar. My beta, Kaplan Alvey, came from there. I had to beat some sense into their alpha for exiling him for some ridiculous and dated reasoning.”

Cyrus’s smile was sly. “Oh, I heard. I was sent in after your… snafu with Alpha Ren, and ultimately recommended his termination as Pack Alpha. The man couldn’t control his anger, plain and simple. He held a vindictive fist of power over his lands, creating a hostile living environment.” Sipping once more, Cyrus smacked his lips. “You weren’t the only one to beat some sense into him.”

Tierney couldn’t hide his amusement. “I thought pandas were friendly and nonviolent.”

“I am, but I’m unafraid to hold my own. Bears are bears, and I will not stand by when a useless alpha believes a man needs to act manly. I giggled, he yelled, and I suddenly had the urge to zap him.” The panda chuckled, then finished off his drink.

Playing host, Tierney got up to refill their glasses. “Zap? A lightning mage, I take it. I’ve practically been surrounded by mages these past few weeks.”

“Pardon my interest, but what do you mean by that?”

“I plan to retire to a small county in Kentucky. Some friends live there, and their woods are amazing. My old commanding officer has a son who’s the alpha there, and he just found his destined mate. A human mage.” Pouring scotch in Cyrus’s glass, Tierney murmured, “With three affinities.”

Cyrus grinned and crossed his legs. “You’re joking.”

“You’re likely to meet him soon. Vincent and I’ll be having a friendly duel when they visit in a few weeks, and you’re welcome to come watch. I’m sure you’d be delighted.”

“I’m very curious, and I would be considered stupid to not see the NYSP alpha in action. Now,” Cyrus said, setting down his snifter, “shall we talk about the dynamics of this pack? I’d like to learn more.”

Copyright © 2020 astone2292; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 38
  • Love 54
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments



4 hours ago, Dthorn said:

Just a question of curiosity ... the wolf shifters don't lock together when mating?

Not in this world, but that's an interesting note for all sorts of shifter stories I've read.

  • Like 5
Link to comment

I am going to be a happy person when all the mages take down Stefan! I like Cyrus! He sounds like he will be perfect for Ty's Alpha replacement!

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator

I love Vinnie's newly minted wolf.  All the wolf talk brought many chuckles during this chapter. I also like this new panda, Cyrus.

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment
2 hours ago, drpaladin said:

I love Vinnie's newly minted wolf.  All the wolf talk brought many chuckles during this chapter. I also like this new panda, Cyrus.

It has been sprinkled across a lot of my comments from here on out, but I love writing for Cyrus!!!

  • Like 5
Link to comment

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..