Jump to content
    astone2292
  • Author
  • 5,148 Words
  • 4,455 Views
  • 19 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Love in the Shadows - 8. Chapter 8: Meeting Mother

Vincent didn't believe his eyes. He wanted to question why the librarian was there, but he knew from his boyfriend's grin the reason was obvious. Miss Elaine is… is Mrs. Wilson? Holy shit! This is crazy! She never mentioned her last name, let alone she had a son.

"Miss Elaine? Y-you're Mace's mom?"

Elaine smiled as she palmed the porch railing. "Yes, Vincent. I’m happy to see you outside of the library for once! Has Mason been treating you all right?”

“Y-yes, ma’am.”

A stern frown matched her crossed arms. “Again?”

Vincent cringed. “Sorry, Miss Elaine! But yeah, Mace’s being a gentleman.”

“I’m assuming he told you about the bond you share?”

“He did,” answered Vincent. He reached for Mason’s hand and grabbed it. “I’ve accepted the fact there’s a bond between us, but we’re going to date for the time being.”

Her posture relaxed as she sighed. “That’s a fine plan. Come inside, I just made some lemonade.”

Mason led the way, but Vincent’s thoughts lingered. I’m still shocked Elaine is Mace’s mom! So… she’s a lycan? That’s the only conclusion I can think of. There are so many around me. How many have I met in this town, or everywhere I’ve ever been? Entering the home, the mage appreciated the rustic style. With a matching furniture set and cream rug, the room offered a homely essence. Framed pictures littered the walls. Vincent chuckled when he saw the different stages of Mason’s growth, and halted on a photo from his teenage years. He looks like such a troublemaker!

Elaine returned with a platter holding glasses and a pitcher. She set it down on the end table and poured. “Vincent, would you like a tour? The boys have a meeting to get to, so we’ll start with Lei’s den.”

He agreed, took the offered lemonade, and followed the librarian. He felt his boyfriend’s hand slip into his. The rough, yet gentle skin was comforting. He probably smells how nervous I am! Then again, Elaine should too. They passed the kitchen, and Vincent peeked in. It’s pretty similar to Mason’s but much bigger. The white walls accompanied by the brown and tan accents were ordinary, but the mage thought it was well designed.

Down the hall, he was led to a walnut-painted room with cabinets and bookshelves. Some were adorned with trophies, some displayed rifles, and one held a small bar set-up. An ornate wooden desk occupied the center, but Leidolf sat in a corner.

The man was sipping from a snifter glass when he looked up. “Vincent, good to see ya again! I see Mace hasn’t run you off yet.” Lei rose and grabbed a thick binder. “Thought about something, and I figured you’d appreciate it.”

Accepting it, Vincent saw the cover and read aloud, “Owensville Pack Records and History?”

“Lei!” exclaimed Elaine. “That’s a little rude.”

“I don’t think it is,” Vincent argued, as he flipped through some of the tabs. “I want to learn as much as possible about lycan culture, and I think this would be cool to read. Thanks, Lei!”

“I think Ellie has other books in her study. I’m sure she’ll show you when y’all work on your frost magic.”

“What?” Vincent looked between the three. “What’s going on?”

“Honestly, Lei. You’re as subtle as a chainsaw.” Elaine pinched her forehead. “Don’t mind him, Vincent. I’ve been thinking about offering over the past few weeks, but now seems like a better time than any. I want to help hone your frost affinity.”

He was speechless. Mouth open, he tried to process the offer. A… trainer? For my frost magic? I thought I was already pretty good with it. I’ve taken out my fair share of Stefan’s goons without a problem, but I’m sure I could be doing something better. “Miss Elaine? You’d do that?”

“Absolutely!” The librarian gently touched his shoulder. “Just letting you know, I’m not going to take it easy. Let’s go outside and get started so our mates can get their work done.”

On the way out, Mason whispered inaudibly to Elaine, only to receive the same. Vincent was about to ask but his new teacher ushered him out of the den and through the kitchen.

***

Mason sat behind his father’s desk and booted the laptop. His body shivered in anticipation. Be strong. There’s no harm in asking for help.

“Nerves?” asked Lei.

“I’ll be fine. Just hoping I can get some answers about this bastard.”

His father growled quietly. “Same here. I think it’s fate Gregoro’s come back into the picture after all this time. Lord Bol pulled some strings so I can wring that fuck’s neck!”

“I’ll be right there with you,” mumbled Mason. “Seems too surreal, right? This guy’s gone after both our mates.” He sat still; superstition stirring in him. It can’t be a coincidence. Something’s going on here.

The muffled sound of a vehicle approaching caught their attention. “Sounds like Dave’s heap. Haven’t seen him in a while.”

Mason returned to the computer. Opening the software for the video conference, he ensured the webcam was operating. Dave stepped in the room, thumbing at his phone. “Mace, mind telling me why Caleb Gage’s texting me?”

“Good to see you too, sunshine. I gave him your number. He’ll be here in a little bit.”

Dave appeared lost. “Why’s that?”

Reclining in the chair, Mason sighed. “He’s the new Pack Enforcer.” Both Lei and Dave glared at him, so he raised out his palm. “I know I should’ve consulted you, but every time I bring up the subject, we always end up skirting around it.”

“Ripping off the band-aid,” whispered Dave. The beta stared at the floor, looking dejected. “I understand.”

Mason felt guilty for not involving his beta. “I’m sorry for not including you, but…” He trailed off, thinking of the reason he sought Caleb’s help. “I have a mate to think about now, Dave.”

“N-no, I… I get it,” the beta muttered. “The conference call starts in a minute. Better get ready.”

Checking the screen, he saw half of the attending alphas were logged in. “Let’s wait for a few more, then we can get started.”

***

Standing in the spacious backyard, Vincent admired the evenly-spaced trees as they provided lengthy shadows. What caught his eye the most was the multitude of flower beds and plant pots scattered around the porch and several nearby trees. “Gardening’s one of my hobbies. I’ve been meaning to create a reading area with plenty of shade and flowers surrounding it.”

Vincent’s mind wandered as possibilities assembled. “That would be nice. Maybe a little water fountain as well?”

Elaine lit up at the idea. “I’ll add that to my list. But enough about that. Show me a dagger using your ice.”

He flicked his wrist to conjure his trusty weapon. The librarian gestured for him to bring it closer. Inspecting it, she squinted and palmed it. “It’s very standard. Sharp as a knife should be, the hilt’s comfortable, and it has weight. A fine weapon, but I believe you could do better.” She threw the dagger downward, spiking it into the earth. She summoned one of her own and held it out for Vincent. “Once you create a mental image of what you want to conjure, you’re able to manifest it, down to the tiniest of details without any extra work. It’ll cost a little more energy, but if there are life-saving features, that expended energy can save you. Hold this and pay attention to the differences between it and yours.”

Examining it, he found it far superior. The first detail that caught his attention was the loop at the end of the hilt. Weighing it in his hand, the dagger was heavier too. Unsure of other distinguishing factors, he materialized another of his. He laid the two on top of one another and discovered another difference. Swinging his, Vincent heard the wind break. With Elaine’s there was no sound. “The hilt has a throwing loop, it’s heavier, and the shape’s different. Yours is silent when thrown.”

“Excellent! Mason told me you prefer daggers in combat. Is there a reason why?”

“They’re easy to use, and they get the job done.”

She nodded in acknowledgment, “That’s true, but do you think a dagger can save you from a wolf?”

He frowned and imagined a scenario. I’d have to fight in close-quarters. “No, it wouldn’t. I haven’t had to fight like that.”

“And that’s all right. It’s why we’re here. So, what could you create to fight a wolf, or a man with a knife?”

The thought of actually fighting someone or something bothered Vincent, but he cycled through potential options. “I could throw shards.”

“Yes,” said Elaine, “but those can be dodged as well. What weapon could create distance between you and your attacker, while also inflicting damage.”

Vincent smiled. “A spear or halberd?”

“There we go. A staff allows you to attack and defend from a distance. It also puts a foe on immediate defense. It becomes an extension of yourself with many uses.” She knelt and put her hand on the grass. As she rose, a long rod of ice emerged from the ground. Fully created, Vincent estimated it to be about five feet in length. The staff was intricately designed. At the crown was a spearhead. Vincent didn’t need to examine how sharp it was; he assumed it was deadly. “A mage is only as good as their arsenal, and the staff is a must. We’ll focus on crafting them today. Think of a design and make one that’s as tall as your shoulders from the ground up.”

He licked his lips as he thought of a style. Okay, so a little over five feet tall. I want a hilt like hers so I can grab it with both hands, but I don’t want a spear. Stabbing has to be precise, and I’m not that confident yet. I could make a small sphere at the end. He grinned and pictured it. Little bigger… perfect! This gives me something to attack with when I swing. Vincent took a deep breath and knelt. Pumping magic from his palm, he rose. As it formed, he felt satisfied. Done, he knew the weapon was his new favorite. Just as I envisioned it!

Handing it to Elaine she seemed impressed. “Looks very nice. The head’s interesting. Useful for causing internal damage, and it’ll appear intimidating. The hilt’s long enough for you to twirl, defend, and grip in various stances. A great first attempt!

“However…” She laid the head on the ground with the hilt in her hand and stomped on the center, snapping the staff. “It looked pretty, but it’s not sturdy. If I can break it, so can your opponent. You must focus on structure too. It has to take hit after hit after hit! This weapon’s defending your life, Vincent.

“Make it again. Denser this time.”

He bit his lip and nodded. This isn’t the same Elaine I knew from the library.

***

The screen was filled with twelve squares showing other alphas, covering territory between the midwest to New England. Mason pressed the unmute button on the video call. "Glad y’all could join on such short notice. Before I ask the Executive Council, I’m requesting assistance for information on a rogue mage. This man’s been a problem with our pack in the past and has made a reappearance this morning."

"Mason, good to see you again." The square window labeled Wieken Leonard flashed when the voice came over the line. "Can you give us some more details on this man?"

"Yes. His name’s Stefan Gregoro. He’s Italian, aged fifty, gray eyes, six feet in height. Known magical affinities include fire, clairvoyance, and shadow. He’s a dangerous threat."

One of the middle-aged alphas’ frame flashed red, signaling a request to speak. "Yes, Alpha Drego. You may have the floor."

Drego cleared his throat. "I concur with Alpha Wilson's description. Even if this mage hasn't been an issue with your own pack, this man has caused trouble throughout the world. Mason, correct me if I am mistaken, but is this the mage that attacked your mother?"

Lei let out a deep growl, forcing Mason to avert his gaze briefly. “Yeah. Twenty-one years ago, he destroyed a quarter of our library.”

"And why has this man returned?" Drego leaned forward in his chair. “Seems like you either made an enemy of him, or he has something else on his mind.”

Mason snorted. Drego likes his information. "I recently found my destined, and he—”

Applause came through the computer speakers from the unmuted leaders. He watched as the silenced ones clapped as well. “Th-thank you! I’m beyond blessed by the Seven he’s entered my life, but to answer your question, Alpha Drego, my mate and Gregoro have a violent past.”

Drego twirled a finger in his beard. “Congratulations, Mason! It’s a rare occurrence one finds their soulmate, but I think there’s more to this than you’re letting on. What kind of history do these two have?”

The question brought a silence. Mason squirmed in his seat, not wanting to make his mate’s business public. Drego won’t let go unless he knows. Sighing, he explained, “Gregoro killed his parents when he was nine years old.”

Nearly every face on the screens slackened. Several closed their eyes, some shielding them. A different frame flashed red. “Alpha Leonard.”

“Mason, please give your mate my pack’s deepest condolences. You have my full support, but I think there are some other individuals here with more resources than mine.”

“Agreed,” Drego interjected. “I hate to sound like an old codger, but this almost sounds prophetic. Both you and your mate have been harmed by this man, and it seems Lady Aliz wanted you to hunt together. Pardon my curiosity, but could you tell us more about your mate? I imagine your wolf’s dying to brag about him.”

Mason chuckled. Such a wise wolf. “His name’s Vincent Bolton, and he’s also a mage. An impressive one too.” From the corner of the screen, he caught one of the alphas gesturing to someone off-screen, but Mason quickly dismissed it.

“What is his affinity, if I may ask?”

He hesitated. Should I tell them? Vinnie seems pretty proud about them. “Frost, clairvoyance, and shadow.”

A few of the conference members sat up straight. Drego was the first to chime in, "I feel these events belong in a legend. Two shadow mages, one of fire and one of frost, destined for battle. I hate to ask this but is your mate to be trusted? He is of an affinity surrounded by evil morality."

Mason's eyes burned with anger. "My mate’s not evil! He’s the sweetest man I've encountered. It’s his goal in life to get rid of the shadow affinity’s bad name. Just because someone controls darkness does not make them evil, Drego!"

The man sat stoically with fingers interlocked on the desk. “I sincerely apologize, Alpha Wilson. My thoughts and words got the best of me. I’ll have my beta email you any information we have on Stefan Gregoro."

Still simmering, Mason accepted Drego’s apology. Nearly every alpha offered their support with only two showing disinterest. “Thank you all. Feel free to send any information to either my email or my beta’s. While we have everyone here, is there anything else that needs to be brought up?”

“I have something, but I’d like to share with just Alpha Wilson.”

“Likewise.”

Mason searched his screen for speakers. Frank Reardon and… Tierney Scott! Holy shit! Pack Alpha over New York State! He was bewildered the most prominent alpha on the continent wished to speak with him. "V-very well. This meeting’s adjourned." One by one, tones filled his speakers with each departure, until only Alphas Readon and Scott remained.

Reardon, a tall, slender man was the first to speak. "I don't mind sharing with our neighboring pack the information I have, but Alpha Wilson, I need to give you some crucial information. You may not like what I have."

"Any information’s welcome, Alpha Reardon." Mason braced himself nonetheless. Can't tell if shit's about to hit the fan…

Reardon retrieved a file from another set of hands. "Not sure if you're aware, but my territory covers a quarter of Maryland. I recognized your mate's last name and I had my beta grab a file from when I was police chief over in Elkridge."

Mason tensed up. Vincent's hometown. Yep, shit's gonna fly!

"The file I have’s the police report of the night Paul and Marianne Bolton were mysteriously killed. I had no idea they were murdered by this Gregoro character, and I blame myself for the shoddy police work. The report will be in your email by the end of the day. It doesn’t have to be anytime soon, but I would like to speak with your mate and get a statement from him in regards to the events that night. It said in the report that the boy saw a shadowy figure and the detectives dismissed it as make-believe. I’ll personally update the file with any additional information Mister Bolton can provide."

Mason sighed. "I'll ask Vincent to give you a statement. Thank you for taking care of this. Expect a call from us soon."

"Understood. Happy hunting to you and Vincent." The square on Mason's screen disappeared, which enlarged Tierney Scott's face to fit the monitor.

Mason would be lying to himself if he said he wasn't nervous in front of the New Yorker. The shifter exuded power from his full beard to his tailored suit. The thick, black hair was neatly combed to the side, giving off a political look.

"Alpha Scott, it's a pleasure to have the chance to meet you."

"Same with you, Alpha Wilson. I was happy to hear that Leidolf's son rose to take his position. How is the old fart?"

"Old fart?” Lei rose from his seat and sped to the desk. “Come on, Ty! You were better at name-calling back in Libya!"

Tierney’s serious demeanor melted when Lei’s face entered the webcam’s view. "Lei! I didn't know you were there! How's my CO been?"

Mason's eyes widened as Lei continued the conversation.

"Not bad. Enjoying retirement. Bet it's more relaxing than having the largest pack in North America."

Tierney rolled his eyes as he finger-combed his hair. "Can't say it's easy, but it does have its perks. You raised a gentleman, Lei. Mason’s one of the few alphas who’s man enough to ask for help when it's needed."

"First thing I told him when he took the job. It's a small pack, so we can't be embarrassed to ask."

"That’s good, but back to the subject at hand. Mason, I have a personal favor to ask of you and your mate."

Mason sat up straight. "Anything, sir."

Tierney chuckled. "That will be Ty to you. No need to be so formal, young man. Your father and I go way back to our days in the corps."

"All right, Ty." The name felt weird leaving his mouth. That's gonna take a bit to get used to. "What can I do for you?"

Ty leaned back in his office chair. "I'm partially embarrassed to be asking this, but when you described your mate's power, my wolf had… an itch, if you will. He seems like a very capable man. My request is one you won’t find amusing, but I promise there’s no bad intentions attached."

Mason furrowed his brow. I'm already not liking the sound of this. "Go on."

The man nodded. "I would like to meet your mate. It doesn't have to be any time soon, but if it can be sooner than later, that would make me happy. I’ve fought every kind of affinity there is in this world, all except one. Alpha Wilson, I want to request the honor of sparring with your mate."

The younger alpha crossed his arms, both perplexed and irritated. Didn't expect that. I see his thought process though. Haven't had the thought myself, but now he mentioned it, my wolf wants the chance as well. "I understand your request, Ty. Part of me wants to howl in anger, but that's me wanting to protect my mate."

"I assure you, Mason, he won’t be harmed. My wolf pretty much demanded the opportunity once you said he’s a shadow mage. You and your mate would be considered my esteemed guests, and can stay for as long as you two please."

Mason nodded. If he served with Dad, I believe I can trust his word. "I just need a couple things to be made clear. Vincent has not been turned yet, and our bond isn’t complete. He’s still learning our culture, but he’s learning fast. He’s due to be inducted soon."

"Understandable. A young human being dropped into the lycan universe can result in some pretty wild emotions. You're taking things slowly with him, and that’s smart and admirable. Your wolf must be going crazy."

"It's been a test; that's for sure, but his happiness’ worth it. I’d like for Vinnie to have a say in this matter. I dislike the idea of him fighting an alpha, even if it won't be a serious match. I’ll let him make the final decision. Just need your word on one more thing."

"Sure."

"This sparring match will not be considered a challenge for status or territory, for either you or I. Vincent’s in no position to be a part of negotiations at that level."

Tierney chortled. "Very thorough. You’re a damned good Pack Alpha, Mason. It’s been years since I thought of making a power move like that. You have nothing to worry about. I couldn't expand my territory even if I wanted to. My plate’s full enough as it is."

Mason smiled, happy to get a compliment from the man. "Would you like to ask Vincent for your little favor? He's currently out back training with Elaine."

A red glint appeared in Tierney's eyes. "I’d be honored to speak with him."

***

Oh, Gods! My… My muscles hurt. Vincent rested against a tree. Elaine’s putting me through the wringer. I made twenty staffs before getting it right. My weapons are now ten times stronger than they used to be. The mage was proud of his accomplishment.

“Yo, Little B! You need a bottle of water or something?” Raising his head, he saw Caleb standing near the porch.

Vincent enjoyed the nickname from their childhood. He was Little B, and Caleb was G-man. Really suits him now. Put him in a suit and he’d look like a pretty intimidating FBI agent!

The new enforcer had walked around the house a few minutes after Elaine shattered the first staff, and had kept an eye on the mage’s training since. Elaine had taken a defensive stance when she heard his car pull in, and Vincent had conjured a sight ward to check who it was. After telling his teacher who had arrived, she simmered down. He bent his neck to her as she gave the lion a handshake and resumed Vincent’s training.

“Mister Gage, care to make that two bottles? Feel free to grab one for yourself as well.”

“Yes, ma’am.” Caleb left to fetch refreshments.

Elaine returned to her student. “You’re doing very well, Vincent. It normally takes a frost student several days to get to the quality of your most recent staff. I can’t tell if it’s because you’re a mage with three affinities, or if you just have a knack for mastering skills.”

Vincent blushed. “Thanks, Miss Elaine. I’m going to chalk it up to you being such an amazing teacher.”

“Flattery will get you nowhere.” She turned as Caleb emerged from the house. “I hope you found the pantry without much trouble.”

“It wasn’t a problem, ma’am. My nose tends to find food pretty fast.”

Vincent chuckled. Caleb handed a bottle to both. Once in his grasp, Vincent poured energy into it and chilled the contents. Taking a sip, he watched Caleb step out from the porch and stand in the sunlight. It has to be ninety degrees out here, and the humidity is terrible too. “Wouldn’t you rather sit in the shade?”

“Nah, I’m good. I’m trying to catch as much sun as possible before the winter months come.”

“That’s right; I completely forgot!” exclaimed Elaine. She must have seen Vincent’s cluelessness and elaborated, “Ailouros shifters are creatures of warmth, contrary to how lycan wolves prefer the colder weather. The sun gives lions an energy boost, while darkness grants wolves an advantage.”

The doors opened again, and everyone turned their attention to Dave. “Hey, Vin. Mace needs you in the den. One of the other Pack Alphas wants to meet you.”

Elaine stepped forward and questioned the beta, “Which one?”

“Alpha Scott.”

Her face brightened at the name. “Oh my, it’s been a while since I heard from Tierney. Do give him my best wishes.”

Dave nodded. “Will do, Lady Wilson.”

Vincent looked between Dave and Elaine, trying to understand why another alpha wanted to speak with him. “I’m not in trouble, am I?”

“No, but Alpha Scott has a… request.”

As he went inside the house, he heard Elaine calling out, “Come on, enforcer! Have you ever gone toe-to-toe with a frost mage?”

He looked back to see his childhood friend gleefully leap toward the librarian. I wish I could watch them. Entering the den, Vincent found Mason at the desk with Lei behind the chair, leaning towards a laptop.

The alphas looked up, and Mason’s smile was contagious. Feeling happy to see the lycan caused Vincent to question his emotions. I’ve been away for half an hour, and I feel like I haven’t seen him in years. This bond thing is weird! “You could have warned me about Miss Elaine being a drill sergeant.”

Lei snickered, “And ruin the surprise? Smells like Ellie had you bustin’ your ass out there.”

The comment forced Vincent to examine his clothing, and after a quick sniff, he grimaced. Damn… and they have sensitive noses. Putting a hand under each pit, he blasted cold air in an attempt to cease any sweating. “Sorry. I probably smell awful.”

Mason smirked and glared at him while licking his lips. “That’s a matter of opinion.”

A slight cough came over the computer speakers, telling Vincent there was another person present. Mason scratched his head, clearly embarrassed. “Sorry, Alpha Sc… Ty. Vinnie, c’mere! This is Alpha Tierney Scott. He’s the alpha over the New York State Pack, one of the largest packs in North America. And apparently, one of Dad’s Marine buddies too!”

Oh… Cool. He’s just an alpha running the largest pack in North fuckin’ America! A little heads-up would’ve been nice! Nervousness froze every cell in his body. Seeing Mason’s smile eased him slightly. Mustering his courage, he stepped forward and went to Mason’s side. A man about Lei’s age and the lavish office behind him oozed authority. Vincent’s confidence crumbled.

“You must be Vincent. Mason’s spoken highly of you. Before you start calling me Alpha Scott, just call me Tierney or Ty.”

“N-nice to meet you, Tierney.”

“No need to be nervous. I’ve been told you’re learning about lycan customs?”

Vincent took a deep breath. “Yeah, as much as I can. I was surprised to learn how many people in town were shapeshifters.”

The alpha smiled. “There’s certainly a lot of us, and many different kinds. I have to be honest, I’m very excited to meet you. In fact, I consider it an honor.”

The statement seemed genuine, but it confused Vincent. “You’re honored?”

“Yes. Forgive your mate, but his pride was showing when he told us about you. You’re one of the rare shadow mages, correct?” When Vincent nodded, Tierney’s smile grew. “He also mentioned your goal’s to improve your affinity’s image. That’s rather noble, and I wish you the best on your arduous adventure.

“Your mate asked several of the surrounding Pack Alphas for assistance in finding this Stefan Gregoro. I’m informing you both you have the full support of my pack. I’ll have my beta and enforcer collect any information we possess and send it right away.”

Hearing the stranger offer assistance was overwhelming. Vincent bit his cheek in an attempt to hold back his emotions. Mason must have seen it coming and latched onto his hand while answering, “Forgive the formalities Alpha Scott, but your commitment is beyond appreciated. My pack’s in your debt.”

Tierney made to stand. “If you need a moment, I can grab a drink. I’ll be—”

“N-no, sir. ” Vincent wiped his eyes and cleared his throat. “I’m sorry for interrupting. The past few days have been a lot, and I’m still getting used to all of the incoming support. Dave said something about you having a question?”

“I already explained everything to Mason. He had a few concerns, but I believe they’ve been straightened out. He’s left the final decision to you.”

Vincent tensed up. “A decision?”

Tierney rested his elbows on the desk and interlocked his fingers. “In all my time in this world, I’ve never come across a shadow mage. I’d like for the two of you to come to New York sometime soon. My wolf and I have many questions that require answers, but I feel I need to hear them in person.”

“Of course!” exclaimed Vincent. “I’ve been there a few times, but I haven’t spent a lot of time exploring the city. Is that okay, Mace?”

“Sounds like fun. I could use a vacation from the farm.”

“Excellent,” said Tierney, “but that’s not the only thing I have to ask.”

Soaring from the high of the planned adventure, Vincent gleefully waited for the next request.

“Hearing of your magic piqued my interest, and caused my wolf to make an impulsive demand. You can turn this down if you’re not comfortable with it, but I would consider it a privilege to have a little sparring match with you.”

The previously felt joy and excitement dissipated. A… fight? The New York Pack Alpha wants to fight me?

Mason squeezed his hand. “You don’t have to, Vinnie. Ty explained to me that you’d be in no harm.”

“That’s right,” Tierney added. “I wouldn’t dare hurt you. Pretty sure Mason would tear me limb from limb if I did, even by accident. And I for one like to breathe.”

The joke broke Vincent’s uneasiness. Hearing both men’s reassurances, he considered the request. Exhibition match with an alpha. I’m not sure how it would go, but I’m kind of interested. That, and Ty said he’s helping me find Stefan. I at least owe him something! Gods, don’t let me regret this…

“I accept your challenge, Alpha Scott. Just name the time and place.”

Copyright © 2020 astone2292; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 45
  • Love 47
  • Wow 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Oh wow what a chapter. Thank you! 
 

I’m excited for the spar but I think Vinnie needs several more sessions with Elaine and maybe other people before he can go toe to toe with a serious and very powerful Alpha. 
 

I like how in every chapter I learn more about this world you’re building. From pack dynamics and politics to magical affinities. Wow. 
 

Hopefully Mason’s pack becomes one of the big packs in the future. Hehe.

  • Like 1
  • Love 4
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator

No matter the power and experience Ty might have, I think Vinnie has the advantage if he has shadows on the playing field. 

  • Like 3
  • Love 2
Link to comment

For a candidate about to become a member of a normal sized pack to be invited to spar with the wolf of the Alpha of the largest pack in the nation, is a great honor as long as it is sparring only – he can gain a great deal of respect by sparring well at such a professional level. And, if he does well, will increase the prestige of his pack greatly. I can only hope no-one gets hurt too badly. But, at this beginning stage in the story line, I do not see that as a possibility.

  • Like 1
  • Love 3
Link to comment
15 hours ago, Will Hawkins said:

For a candidate about to become a member of a normal sized pack to be invited to spar with the wolf of the Alpha of the largest pack in the nation, is a great honor as long as it is sparring only – he can gain a great deal of respect by sparring well at such a professional level. And, if he does well, will increase the prestige of his pack greatly. I can only hope no-one gets hurt too badly. But, at this beginning stage in the story line, I do not see that as a possibility.

Vincent has nothing to lose with this offer. It'll be a little while before we see this fight, but it's so worth the wait...

  • Like 2
  • Wow 1
Link to comment

With the length of time Lei and Elaine have known Ty as well as their friendly banter, I believe Ty is just as depicted.  I don't think he will intentionally hurt Vinnie.  His background supports the idea that this is a personal challenge to himself.  He sees it as a learning experience and test of his abilities in face of a legendary power.  

Vinnie is a fast learner and Elaine a great teacher.  She starts with the fundamentals of all martial arts, weapons.  If you know the way to build a weapon, you know the strengths and weaknesses of each type of weapon.  You will be able to then use the correct weapon for the situation in which you find yourself.  I suspect, Vinnie is also using his frost power in different ways than he has in the past to create these weapons.  That may add to the flexibility of his powers.  

I love how you use your dialogue to develop your characters.  They grow more real with each exchange as they communicate.  I love this fascinating chapter.

  • Love 2
Link to comment
4 hours ago, raven1 said:

With the length of time Lei and Elaine have known Ty as well as their friendly banter, I believe Ty is just as depicted.  I don't think he will intentionally hurt Vinnie.  His background supports the idea that this is a personal challenge to himself.  He sees it as a learning experience and test of his abilities in face of a legendary power.  

Vinnie is a fast learner and Elaine a great teacher.  She starts with the fundamentals of all martial arts, weapons.  If you know the way to build a weapon, you know the strengths and weaknesses of each type of weapon.  You will be able to then use the correct weapon for the situation in which you find yourself.  I suspect, Vinnie is also using his frost power in different ways than he has in the past to create these weapons.  That may add to the flexibility of his powers.  

I love how you use your dialogue to develop your characters.  They grow more real with each exchange as they communicate.  I love this fascinating chapter.

I'm loving your comments. Vincent has much to learn regarding his powers, including the ones he's had the longest. 

  • Love 2
Link to comment

“The lion shifter felt prideful…” I don’t think you did that on purpose, Author, but it made me snort. Lion. Pride. Good stuff. Great chapter!

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
1 minute ago, Dan South said:

“The lion shifter felt prideful…” I don’t think you did that on purpose, Author, but it made me snort. Lion. Pride. Good stuff. Great chapter!

Lol. This being my first story, I was a young and dumb writer. I most certainly did not do that [one] on purpose. 

I'm just tickled you're enjoying the story. Hope you read fast enough to get caught up on the third book. We're nearing the final ten or fifteen chapters in that one... Would love to see you at the big finale.

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

Ahhh... the gauntlet has been thrown, mwaahaha! Oh wait... it's a sparring match. Not Rocky. 

sylvester stallone fight GIF by Rocky

Actually... I'm looking forward to getting better acquainted with Elaine. She's badass. 

  • Love 2
Link to comment
34 minutes ago, kbois said:

Ahhh... the gauntlet has been thrown, mwaahaha! Oh wait... it's a sparring match. Not Rocky. 

sylvester stallone fight GIF by Rocky

Actually... I'm looking forward to getting better acquainted with Elaine. She's badass. 

Elaine is such a badass!

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..