Jump to content
    astone2292
  • Author
  • 4,506 Words
  • 4,197 Views
  • 25 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Love in the Shadows - 24. Chapter 24: Pitiless Panda

Ingle sat in his black Jeep Grand Cherokee and watched his coworker go inside the apartment. Mace better be right about Shaw. Got a feeling that Shaw’s fighting the good fight, but I can't shake my wolf's instincts. How many levels of reverse psychology will he play to get Stefan?

"Watching my associate, are we?"

The officer's blood ran cold as he heard the whisper in his cab. Fuck! Behind me. How did this guy get in my car?

He turned slightly and saw a middle-aged man with gray hair in the backseat. Has to be… Gregoro! No way in hell I can take him on. I'm outclassed, hands down. Fuck, what do I do? I can try to be on his good side, but that might get me killed. Got no other cards to play, though. "Can I help you?"

The mage crossed his arms. "Well, I take it you are a shifter in the local pack. I figure we could make an exchange."

Furrowing his brow, Ingle let out a slow, steady breath to calm his nerves. "What kind of exchange?"

"I want information, and I imagine you want to protect your pack and coworker. Is that correct, officer?"

Anger filled Ingle, but his wolf hushed him. He needed to remain calm. "That's right, but I'd rather die than help someone like you."

Clicking the roof of his mouth with his tongue, Stefan shook his head. "While I do admire your loyalty, I don't believe you’re seeing the bigger picture. You see, I've been keeping my eyes on you for several nights now. You watch the detective, and that simpleton hasn't even spotted you at all. He practically looks right at you every time he smokes one of those awful cigarettes. I assume you report directly to your leader? The one who has latched on to Little Vinnie so tightly?"

He knows more than I thought he would. Damn, this ain't good! "Yeah, so? I'm still not helpin' you."

"Then allow me to make a new offer. I just need a message delivered to Vincent. I would do it myself, but I fear he wasn't fond of my last letter, and I'd hate to barge into your leader's house to talk to the boy."

"And in return?"

"I'll let Shaw live. He may be a neanderthal, but he has connections that suit my needs."

A message, or a life. Hate to help this asshole, but I got no choice. Shaw's the inside man on Stefan, and Mace needs that. "What's the message?"

Stefan’s lips curled into a smile, and he leaned forward in the seat. "Tell Little Vinnie to go to his workplace's rooftop tomorrow night at nine in the evening. I give my solemn vow that I’ll be civil. No magic, no weapons, and no nonsense. I merely wish to talk."

"You have got to be jokin'! Vincent wouldn't fall for that."

"Then let me give an offering to prove my peaceful intentions." The mage put a hand into his inner jacket pocket. Ingle swiftly drew his pistol and aimed it at Stefan. "Oh, that won't be necessary, officer. Those would just go through your seats, and this is a rather nice vehicle." He slowly retrieved a gold locket and showed it off.

"You see, officer. I believe Litte Vinnie will know what this is. I would like for him to have it. It was something lost to him many years ago, and I want to reunite it with the proper owner. Take it, along with my message."

Hesitation pounded Ingle's mind but the officer knew he needed to play along. Even if the message’s a trap, I can't just risk Shaw's life over this. "Fine. I'll get this to Vincent." The wolf took the locket and put it in his cup holder. "But don't think I can be some puppet to you."

"Oh… puppet is such a distasteful word. I prefer associate or acquaintance. Thank you, officer. I will take my leave then. Be sure to get Little Vinnie the message. You'll find that he’ll be more than happy to get this back."

"So what's stopping me from—"

Ingle stopped as Stefan left in a black fog, blending in with the backseat. Damn! Gone. Ingle reached for the locket and examined it. Opening it up with the lightest touch, he squinted and realized what value it would hold for his mated alpha. Yeah… gotta get this to the little guy. Won't be happy where it came from, but it'll be nice knowing he has it.

Grabbing his phone from the cubby under the radio, he dialed Mason's phone number. "Alpha, I'm stopping by."

"Everything good? Shaw up to something?"

"He's fine for now, but there's been developments. Need to meet with you and Vincent."

"Come on over."

"Yes, Alpha." Putting the phone away, the officer started his Jeep and ten minutes later he pulled into the gravel driveway.

***

When Ingle stepped inside, Vincent’s wolf asked, “Who this?”

Lei smirked. “That’s Officer Ingle, one of our pack members.”

He’s really nice and funny, his human side commented. He was there the night of the accident.

See. Good pack member then.

The officer bared his neck, then sat across from them on the other sofa. “Vincent, Alpha Wilson.”

Mason sat in the recliner and leaned forward. “What’s this about?”

Lei looked at Vincent and whispered, "You might need your human out for this one, Vin."

Nodding, Vincent closed his eyes and reopened them. "Good to see you again, Officer Ingle.”

The man stared at him in confusion, then shook his head, “Look, this isn't going to be pleasant to hear. I was watching Shaw from across the street in my car. Everything’s normal. He goes out for a cig, goes back in, and watches NCIS reruns like usual." The officer scowled. "Then Stefan appeared in my backseat."

Mason gripped the armrests. "What happened? Are you okay?"

Ingle kept his head down and stared at the floorboards. "I’m fine. He wanted me to give Vincent a message… and a gift. Forgive me, but I already examined it. I think it’s harmless for Vincent to have it."

After blinking a few times, Vincent nodded. "What is it?"

Sighing, Ingle pulled the golden locket from his jacket. He dangled the jewelry from its thin chain and set it in Vincent’s hands. The mage gasped and shivered as the cool metal touched his skin.

My mom's locket! Oh gods, I thought all of my parents' belongings were lost.

Mother? Never asked. Where mother?

Both of my parents are dead. I was going to talk to you later tonight about it. Can you try to keep your anger to a minimum?

I try.

The man that Officer Ingle mentioned, Stefan. He's an evil mage, and seventeen years ago, he murdered my parents.

Vincent clasped his eyes shut as his wolf's anger permeated his mind. He could feel part of it leave his body and float in the living room. I thought you would try to keep your anger to yourself?

No! Not for that! Man need to die! Where he?

He's a shadow mage, like me. He can be anywhere and everywhere he wishes. Now, can we get back to what Ingle has to say?

A growl from his inner mind echoed in his consciousness. Yes. But I want more. More detail.

Of course. Opening his eyes, he saw everyone's attention was on him. "Sorry. Had to explain to my wolf the whole Stefan thing."

“Oh, shit! I didn’t even notice,” Ingle responded. “Congrats on the bonding, and it's all good. But the locket isn't the only thing. In exchange for me giving you this, Stefan’s going to spare Shaw. That, and he has a message for you, Vincent.”

Vincent could tell Mason was ready to punch a hole in the wall. “Mace, it’s okay. What’s the message?”

“He just said that he wished to talk, and that's it. Swore he wouldn’t bring any weapons or try anything funny.”

"He's lying!" Mason uttered. His eyes glowed burnt orange.

“Mace,” Vincent interjected. “I need to. If Shaw’s life’s on the line, then I’ll meet with Stefan. There’s no other option here.”

“He’s right, son,” Lei added. His eyes were burning as well, staring down Mason with crossed arms. “I don’t want Vincent in harm’s way either, but we can’t risk a life. It’s our job to protect this pack and all who live in the territory. If Vincent says play the game, then I say we play.”

It was clear there was a mental struggle between Mason and his inner wolf, so Vincent rose to comfort his mate. “I don’t like it either, big guy. If Stefan wanted a forceful confrontation, he would’ve showed up here. I think this is going to be a peaceful meeting.”

“Alright,” Mason grumbled, “but I’m going too. You won’t be alone with him.”

“Same with me,” Lei added. “The man attacked my mate.”

Ingle gave them the meeting location and time, then Mason asked him to keep a watchful eye over Shaw. There was no telling if the Italian would return there. Knowing he needed more feedback, he arranged a conference call with Caleb and Dave. Together, they discussed a plan should something dire happen. Caleb confirmed he would be across the plaza rooftop while Dave lurked on the top of the access ladder from within the store.

Ending the call, Lei departed. Mason huffed, “Sorry for being angry and shit, Pup. I just don’t like how Stefan’s popping up like this.”

Sitting on Mason’s lap, Vincent leaned against his chest. “You don’t need to be sorry. I’m in a whirlwind of emotions too. The fact Stefan wants to meet… It’s weighing heavily on me. I’ve never actually met him face-to-face. Not since… well, you know.”

“We’ll meet him together.” Kissing Vincent’s forehead, Mason pulled back and stared at him. “We got this, okay? I won’t let anything happen to you. C’mon, it’s getting late. Let’s get ready for bed.”

***

“Objection, your Honor. He’s badgering the witness.”

“I’m not badgering. I’m merely asking a question.”

“Your Honor, I move to strike this testimony if the defense continues.”

A gavel echoed in the courtroom as the frail judge cast a stare at the bulky defense attorney. “Sustained,” she declared. “Mr. Bultzer, heed Mr. Alvey’s warning. I’m tempted to agree with him. Do you have anything productive to ask the witness?”

“Not at this time, Your Honor,” Bultzer answered.

“Then I call for a thirty-minute recess. Come back with clear heads. Dismissed.”

At the sound of the gavel, bodies moved, making bustling sounds within the pews. Kaplan collected his files and placed them in his briefcase. Taking a final swig of water, he composed himself as Bultzer neared.

“Think you’re tough shit, Alvey?” The man muttered. “Nothing but a punk.”

Both men turned as the gavel pounded the judge’s stand. “Mr. Bultzer, I may be old but I’m not deaf. I will not condone such language in my courtroom. Is that clear?”

Bultzer apologized to both the judge and Kaplan, one more sincere than the other. As he stormed away, Kaplan sighed, nodded at the fearless woman, then swiveled toward the exit. Just another bully. He quickly noticed a friendly face near the door. “Mr. Scott, good to see you.”

Tierney smiled and shook Kaplan’s hand as the beta barely offered his neck. “Kap. Doing great as always. I thought I would show off your skills to our new friend, Mr. Cyrus Vonder.”

Studying the man next to Tierney, Kaplan swallowed. He’s an alpha. Is this the man replacing Alpha Scott?

Cyrus extended his hand. “It’s a pleasure, Mr. Alvey. Tierney here was talking rather highly of you. After watching you, I agree with him. You perform”— He clicked his tongue and squinted —”tenaciously in court. It’s comforting to know our community has such a fierce defender in the world of law.”

Hearing the ginger words, Kaplan was taken aback. He’s so elegant! There’s a hint of a British accent in his dialect. “Th-thank you, sir.”

The ursus pursed his lips. “Tierney also spoke of men like me and your insecurities. I assure you, there will be no harm or harsh words directed at you when I take office.”

Kaplan nodded but remained skeptical. “I appreciate that, Mr. Vonder. Would either of you mind if we took this outside? I could use a smoke.”

“Cigar or cigarette?”

“Cigarette.”

The man giggled and brandished a shiny, metal case. “If you don’t mind an ultra-light, allow me.”

Taking the offered tobacco, Kaplan followed the alphas and lit the cigarette once he felt the crisp, fresh air. Puffing, the nicotine relaxed his nerves. “Thank you, alpha,” he whispered.

“Oh, Mr. Alvey. No need to use that term with me. I prefer Cyrus, or Mr. Vonder if you want to be nasty.”

Tierney cackled and Cyrus giggled. “Kaplan, is it? I’m not one for beating around the bush, so I may be more forward than others. Would you mind joining me for lunch whenever your trial is over with?”

The beta sniffed. He’s… He’s aroused? No, not quite there, but definitely interested. Is this his way of asking me on a date? “I’m flattered, Cyrus. I’ll gladly have lunch with you, but I’m afraid I’d rather keep our relationship professional.”

Cyrus smiled. “Of course. Please disregard my… scent. My breed doesn’t do business like that but every so often. Our season tends to be from March to June, but I’ve always been on a different time schedule. I respect your wishes, but the meal will be my treat. Mr. Scott, I hate to exclude you, but I’d rather have an unadulterated telling of how the pack operates from your council’s perspectives.”

“That’s fine by me,” Tierney admitted. “Although, I’d like to talk with you more about human politicking in the city while Kap finishes up here.”

“Ah, wonderful! Could we grab a coffee and a pastry? I’m rather peckish. Kaplan, a pleasure to meet you. I look forward to speaking with you.”

As they walked away, Kaplan inhaled deeply, needing the tobacco to do its job. Blowing, he trembled. What an alpha! I’ve never seen anything like him.

***

The trial ran into the early afternoon hours. Kaplan fought his damnedest against Bultzer. Asshole kept stalling, he thought, lighting a cigarette from his crumpled pack. And stalling. And stalling! Long-winded speeches won’t win him any favor.

Pulling out his phone, he saw a few notifications, one of which was Tierney sending him a contact. Cyrus Vonder. The next was from Vonder’s number. He texted me too?

Good afternoon, Mr. Alvey! Pardon the message, as Alpha Scott gave me your number. I heard your trial’s running late, but could I ask for an early dinner?

Kaplan couldn’t help but smile. Even in his texts, he’s formal. He responded, Sorry for the late response. Just got out of court. When and where would be good for you, sir?

Stuffing his phone in his blazer pocket, he licked his lips and inhaled on the cigarette. Meeting the bear for the first time was intense, regardless of the calm demeanor Cyrus possessed.

Nearly a minute flew by, and he was about to check his phone again when Cyrus appeared from behind one of the stone pillars. “Now would be fine with me.”

Caught off-guard, Kaplan coughed smoke and nearly dropped his briefcase.

Cyrus hustled toward him. “My apologies! Are you okay?”

Catching his breath, Kaplan wheezed, “Y-yeah! I’m okay. Were you waiting for me?”

“Yes. There was nowhere to be, so I sat and enjoyed the breeze. That, and I wished to accompany you. I believe there’s a quaint spot not far from here that’s been calling for me to visit.”

As they walked, Cyrus chuckled, “So, New York? I’ve always found it interesting such a large group of wolves managed to cram themselves in this concrete jungle.”

I’ve never thought of it that way. “From the outside looking in, I agree. I think it’s successful because of the close proximity to other people. Being social animals, we crave connection. Add the concept of wanting to rise in a career, it’s nearly perfect for a lycan.”

“A proving grounds. Yes, that’s quite thought-provoking. But it seems you’re still searching for your place in the world. You’re moving to Kentucky with Alpha Scott, correct?”

The idea of moving was bittersweet. “Yes. This pack has served me better than I could’ve hoped. Alpha Scott gave me a chance in life, so it seems like the right thing to do.”

“Spoken like a loyal pack member, but not a true beta.”

“I’m… I’m sorry?”

“I smell and see your indecisiveness. It’s almost as if you don’t want to leave New York.”

Kaplan sighed and flicked his cigarette into the street. “You’re right. I can’t help but feel I can do more here. My wolf wants both; to stay here and help the pack, and go assist Alpha Wilson’s in Kentucky.”

Cyrus grinned. “There’s the beta. Your loyalty is stunning. I envy it. There has never been a beta at my side during my travels. A few candidates, but none whom I could trust entirely.”

“Is that a trait of your panda?”

The bear’s eyes widened as he stopped. “Did Tierney tell you of my breed?”

“No, I knew when you mentioned your breed’s mating season. A panda’s pretty particular, and they’re one of the few who strictly adhere to the proper time of year. Your secret’s safe with me, sir.”

“Oh, please,” Cyrus scoffed, “tell the world! I don’t keep many secrets in my life. I didn’t get to my current status just by being born. Being upfront and unabashed did it, as well as my goals of uniting the shifter world in new-age traditions. None of this… hierarchy of pure-bred alpha genes, or priority of heterosexual matings. Love is love, and peace is key.”

“Wow. That should be part of your speech when you claim the pack alpha title.”

Cyrus beamed at Kaplan. “Again, spoken like a beta. Be careful now, I may end up stealing you from Tierney.”

As the panda giggled and held his sides, Kaplan found the laughter infectious. For an alpha, he’s so jolly. Yet he maintains the appearance of being a fit leader. “I’m not saying I would, but I wouldn’t mind sticking around New York.”

Cyrus squinted and pocketed his hands. “Oh, and why do you say that?”

“Weather’s nice and cold, plenty to do, and I’ve already built my practice here, for both humans and shifters.”

“Are these the reasons you’re debating whether or not to move? Please, speak your mind. I know we just met, but I don’t mind being a friendly ear. I promise to be unbiased.”

Crossing the street, Kaplan explained, “I’ve been meaning to talk to Alpha Scott about this. Kentucky’s nice, my wolf enjoyed running around in the forests, but I’m not sure if Alpha Scott needs a beta after he retires. I’m still in my prime, ready to work. Alpha Wilson said he would talk with their attorney and reserve a position for me, but I can’t see myself in a small town like Owensville. I… I just don’t think Kentucky’s a smart move. At least, not for me.”

Cyrus hummed. “A difficult conundrum. I promised to be unbiased, but I’m afraid it won’t appear so. I believe you should stay here. Your professional goals lie here, and making yourself happy is the ultimate goal in life. Forcing yourself to be miserable for the sake of others might seem noble, but once your friends realize what you’ve done for them, their pain can be worse than saying’ so long’ or ‘see you again.’ You know you’ve done good here in New York, which means your friends likely know that as well. It might seem selfish, but you staying will bring you happiness, which will make them happy.”

Kaplan sniffled, trying to hide his tears.

“Mr. Alvey, are you alright?”

“Y-yeah. Thank you, Alpha Vonder. I just needed to hear it come from somewhere other than my own head.”

Something landed on his shoulder. Seeing Cyrus’s hand, Kaplan felt its warmth.

“Any time you need another voice, you can come to me, Kaplan. I may not be your alpha, but I would like to think of us as friends.” Pulling a kerchief from his breast pocket, Cyrus offered it. “Use this. I don’t want others to think I’m some evil man making one cry.”

Kaplan accepted it and admired how soft the cloth was. “Thank you,” he said, dabbing his eyes.

“I hope I wasn’t too blunt with you. I have a tendency to say things as I see and feel.”

“I respect blunt. I’m an attorney, after all.”

Cyrus’s giggle mellowed the mood between them. “Well, Mr. Alvey, the restaurant’s just ahead. Let’s grab some dinner, shall we?”

Walking side by side, Kaplan appreciated Cyrus. He was like Tierney in many ways, but also different. There’s an openness about him. Almost as if he doesn’t care what others would say about him, yet he listens intently. He’s—

“Kaplan, you passed it.”

Looking back, Cyrus was holding open a door. Reading the establishment’s name, Kaplan stuttered, “C-Craft? You… You said quaint!”

“After you.”

Entering the fine dining restaurant, Kaplan reevaluated what he knew about the panda. Okay, so he can be devious. Either that, or he lives a lavish lifestyle.

The host seated the two, and a waitress provided a menu of wines for selection. Cyrus merely asked for a bottle of their finest red without further questioning. “I’ve heard about this place from a few leaders I’ve evaluated, particularly of their short ribs.”

Confused, Kaplan asked, “I thought pandas were herbivores?”

“We are, but I’m also human.”

Handed a menu, Kaplan confirmed his suspicions. He has to be loaded. This is a coursed dinner. And he ordered a bottle! That’s going to cost a pretty penny.

“You seem rather surprised, Kaplan,” Cyrus assumed.

“I… Yeah, I am. This is a lot for a simple dinner, sir. I was expecting a cheeseburger and fries-type of meal.”

“Now, now. Don’t tempt me with a good burger, but do I look like someone who would have that for dinner with a brand new friend? Besides, I need time to speak with you, especially if I’m to learn more about the beta-level pack dynamics of NYSP. And this is my treat, and I wanted to come here.”

Smiling meekly, Kaplan nodded. “Yes, alpha.”

“Ah, let’s cut the formalities, shall we?” When the waitress arrived with the bottle, Cyrus cooed, “Oooh, Chianti! I live for a good Chianti. Do you enjoy wine, Kaplan?”

“I do. I wouldn’t call myself an oenophile, but I like a good pinot noir every now and then.”

The ursus hummed. “Too light for my taste. I need flavor in my wine. Shiraz and Rioja are some of my favorites.” Swirling the dark liquid, Cyrus sniffed, then sipped. Barely smacking his lips, he nodded to the waitress. “This is perfect. Go ahead and pour. Thank you, my dear.”

She bared her neck before leaving the table.

“Kaplan,” Cyrus uttered, “I was meaning to bring this up later in the meal, but my bear’s demanding I do it now. I want to discuss something rather personal with you.”

A lump was stuck in his throat. Swallowing it, Kaplan listened carefully.

Cyrus set the glass down without making a sound. “I have a confession to make. Since I set foot in New York, meeting you’s been a goal of mine.”

The lump formed again. “I’m sorry?”

Spinning the glass by the stem, Cyrus stared at his drink. “You see, I’ve been a busy panda. In my previous career, I audited packs, sleuths, tribes, and prides across the planet, fixing them and guiding them down the right path. India, Alaska…”

The bear’s eyes then darted to the beta. “South Dakota.”

Kaplan’s heart dove into his stomach. His chest tightened. Did… Did Alpha Ren send him?

“Relax, Kaplan,” Cyrus uttered. “I smell your fear, and there’s no need for it. Ever since I was sent by the EC to evaluate Oglala Lakoda County Pack, I wanted to meet with you. Your unfair exile has haunted me from time to time. Being banished from your home was void of true reason, and it sparked an investigation I led. Upon my arrival, I was met with immediate hostility from Alpha Ren. This was due to my… apparent flair and tone of voice. To him, I was unfit to be an alpha. Regardless, I continued my investigation under the ruse of an evaluation.

“Over the course of a week, I gathered a disturbing amount of incriminating evidence, including skimming from pack dues and several reports of both physical and sexual abuse caused by the pack council. Needless to say, the EC tasked me with stripping Ren of his title and right to challenge for land.”

The server poured more into his glass before Cyrus sipped from the crystal. “Kaplan, I tell you this because you deserve to know. I assure you, that man… That pile of garbage–no, he doesn’t deserve such a generous appellation. That pure filth,” he spat, “will never harm you, or anyone else for that matter.”

Cyrus continued, “By the time I left OLCP, a new alpha had been elected. Not chosen by challenge. I personally trained Alpha Price for two months. From what I hear, the pack’s slowly growing and doing well.”

Kaplan wanted to speak, but the paralyzing glare from the man across from him stilled his entire body. He couldn’t believe what he was hearing.

“I desired to meet you to apologize. I didn’t know who you were, what your intentions were, or if you even carried a grudge against those who hurt you. I’m here to apologize because I squashed any hopes of you exacting revenge upon Ren.”

Wh-what? Feeling short of breath, Kaplan straightened and gripped the bottom of his seat. I… I never thought about revenge. I was just told to leave and never come back. I wanted to escape from that world. To… escape him. Releasing his hold, Kaplan took a deep breath and wiped his eyes with the napkin. “What do you mean by that, sir?”

The bear closed his eyes and craned his neck. Lips tightened, and Kaplan could tell the man wanted to growl. “Cyrus? Alpha… Von—”

Cyrus opened his eyes and the brown irises turned emerald-green. The alpha blinked a few times, dissipating his eyes’ glow. “Forgive me. I get flustered when I think about how things ended there. Before I left OLCP, Ren approached me in anger. After receiving an earful, I couldn’t help but laugh. He lashed out with a shifted claw. Ruined my favorite scarf…”

Downing his glass in a swift gulp, Cyrus licked his lips. “That was when I shot a bolt of lightning through his heart.”

Copyright © 2020 astone2292; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 42
  • Love 45
  • Wow 6
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Moderator

Oh yeah, I love Cyrus. He's smooth as chocolate mousse, but can be as hard as needed. Being a fixer isn't an easy job.

Stefan likes his games too much. What will he use to toy with Vinnie? He says he won't use magic or bring weapons, but it doesn't mean he won't involve someone else in their meeting.

  • Like 2
  • Love 3
Link to comment

Cyrus is an intriguing character. He knows a lot about Kaplan and makes some very interesting observations about Kaplan.  I was impressed by how he used his voice and behaviours to get Kaplan to confide in him about regretting to leave New York.  He did give great advice that may seem self serving, but didn't do it for himself, but to help Kaplan.  I bet he doesn't take the other Betas to dinner at restaurants the same caliber as Craft. Cool story about 

I am very anxious about the meeting between Stefan and Vincent.  I wonder what surprise Vincent has in mind for Stefan.  

Cyrus does have a unique affinity. I did enjoy the story about ex-Alpha Rey and Cyrus' apology. The punch line was the best. :gikkle:

Quote

After getting my ear-full, I couldn't help but giggle in his face. He lashed out with a shifted claw. Ruined my favorite scarf…" The Alpha picked up his glass once more, and downed the remaining wine.

"That was when I shot a bolt of lightning through his heart."

 

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment
6 hours ago, raven1 said:

Cyrus is an intriguing character. He knows a lot about Kaplan and makes some very interesting observations about Kaplan.  I was impressed by how he used his voice and behaviours to get Kaplan to confide in him about regretting to leave New York.  He did give great advice that may seem self serving, but didn't do it for himself, but to help Kaplan.  I bet he doesn't take the other Betas to dinner at restaurants the same caliber as Craft. Cool story about 

I am very anxious about the meeting between Stefan and Vincent.  I wonder what surprise Vincent has in mind for Stefan.  

Cyrus does have a unique affinity. I did enjoy the story about ex-Alpha Rey and Cyrus' apology. The punch line was the best. :gikkle:

 

I did my best to embody a panda's natural behavior in Cyrus. He's joyful, playful, but deadly when irked. 

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment

You manage to cram a lot into each. Chapter.  The whole setting up of Shaw, and hooking in Ingle into Stefan's machinations is brilliant.

And getting more of Kaplan's story is great. I especially feel for him since I had a good friend who was rather small and gay guys used to hit on him all the time. He was usually flattered and would politely decline.  Once, at a party, someone slipped him something in his drink and I had to rescue him.  I got him out of there before anything happened, but he was pretty loopy for a while.  He cried in my arms for a couple of hours because he felt safe and knew I wouldn't take advantage.  I never found out who slipped him the mickey and I'm glad.  I would have wanted to zap him through the heart as well.

  • Like 1
  • Wow 2
Link to comment
4 minutes ago, Quixo said:

You manage to cram a lot into each. Chapter.  The whole setting up of Shaw, and hooking in Ingle into Stefan's machinations is brilliant.

And getting more of Kaplan's story is great. I especially feel for him since I had a good friend who was rather small and gay guys used to hit on him all the time. He was usually flattered and would politely decline.  Once, at a party, someone slipped him something in his drink and I had to rescue him.  I got him out of there before anything happened, but he was pretty loopy for a while.  He cried in my arms for a couple of hours because he felt safe and knew I wouldn't take advantage.  I never found out who slipped him the mickey and I'm glad.  I would have wanted to zap him through the heart as well.

Long chapters mean plenty of topics to cram them with. I learned my lesson in the sequels. 

I empathize with your friend. As a short guy myself, I had to deal with stereotyping with my height and high-pitched tone in a Bible-belted community. Hiding behind khaki cargo shorts and tube socks, I learned to deflect any insinuations of my homosexuality in order to prevent ass-whoopin's. I resonate with Kaplan with this. To hide your true self due to powers beyond your control is a fickle nightmare. 

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment
9 minutes ago, Dan South said:

Cyrus is fab-u-lous! Clearly that scarf was too…

Oh, Cyrus is wonderful. I can't wait for you to read more about him. 

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Bft

Posted (edited)

The line ok Stefan let’s play, makes me think that he is going to be a contestant on the Weakest Link TV show, Stefan you are the weakest link, goodbye 🙈😈🙉🙊

Edited by Bft
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Bft said:

The line ok Stefan let’s play, makes me think that he is going to be a contestant on the Weakest Link TV show, Stefan you are the weakest link, goodbye 🙈😈🙉🙊

I'm cackling!

  • Haha 1
Link to comment

“That was when I shot a bolt of lightning through his heart.” My favorite line from this story!!!  And yes I am reading it again!!!  Can't get enough of a great thing!!!!!

  • Love 2
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Patch1 said:

“That was when I shot a bolt of lightning through his heart.” My favorite line from this story!!!  And yes I am reading it again!!!  Can't get enough of a great thing!!!!!

It's one of my favorite lines as well! 

  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..