Jump to content
    astone2292
  • Author
  • 5,587 Words
  • 4,718 Views
  • 27 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Love in the Shadows - 17. Chapter 17: Feelings Found

He wasn't kidding about pampering me! Vincent was carried from the truck to the bedroom. He watched as Mason's irises burned bright gold the entire time. "You okay, big guy? Your eyes haven't gone back to brown in a while."

Mason’s face was still as stone until he grinned. "I’m beyond okay. I’m simply amazed by what you can do. Now get undressed, Pup.” He set Vincent on the edge of the bed. “I want to see you before you fog up the shower again.”

Obeying, Vincent unbuttoned his shirt. He seethed when he moved his shoulders too fast.

Mason instantly reacted. “You’re still fragile.” He carefully slipped the garment off the mage.

Vincent rolled his eyes. “Are you going to put me in a nursing home?”

“No, I’ll be your caretaker first. Time to take off your pants, old man.”

Vincent laid back with a grunt. Unfastening the belt was easy. Peeling the muddy jeans off was challenging, but the lycan was dexterous. In a blink, Vincent was naked and being led to the bathroom. “Time to get you clean, little one.”

“Little?”

Mason shushed him. “I’m pampering you, so I get to call you every name in the book. Deal with it.”

Once under the warm water, Vincent wished for a chair. He was more exhausted than he realized. Holy shit, this sucks! Leaning against Mason was the best alternative. As the lathered scrub roamed his body, he listened to his mate’s heartbeat and whispered growls. He likes this. Straightening his posture, he tried grabbing the sponge, only to watch it evade his grasp. “I’m not completely paralyzed, you know?.”

“I know,” Mason said with a chuckle, “but you deserve this. I told you you’d be living a life of luxury, and I intend to follow through with my promise.”

He was spun carefully, then pulled to rest against Mason’s chest as his back was washed. Giving in, Vincent laughed to himself. Here’s an alpha shapeshifter hand-washing a human. If I wasn’t his mate, I’m sure that’d turn some heads. He rinsed, then leaned on the cool wall as Mason hastily scrubbed himself. “Take your time, big guy. I’m not going anywhere.”

Mason smirked. “It’ll just take a second.” They finished drying off in time to hear the front door. Both donned bathrobes, and Mason ushered Vincent into the living room. “Come in, guys!”

Dave, Dirk, and Kaplan entered, carrying a dozen or so pizza boxes. Their faces lit up when they saw Vincent on the couch. “Hi, guys! Is it just you three?”

Kaplan and Dave took the food to the kitchen while Dirk remained behind. “Your enforcer went home to celebrate with his family, and we all know where Tierney ran off to. We hitched a ride with Dave and left the rental back at the lake.” The bear dipped his head. “Your dance was one of the most magnificent displays of magic I’ve ever seen, Vincent.”

“Thanks, Dirk, but you don’t have to bow.”

Dave hollered from the kitchen. “I believe we all should bow to you, Vin. You killed it out there.”

“Alright, alright. I’ll accept pizza slices as my reward.”

Mason helped him up. “Let’s get some food in you. You were staring at those boxes like a starving wolf.”

“You keep shoving food down my throat, so you shouldn’t be surprised when I get cravings.”

Mason handed Vincent a plate and then went to see who had knocked on the door this time. When Vincent heard Lei’s boisterous voice, he smiled and turned.

“I thought I smelled food. And there he is!” The mustached man bounded toward him. “The man of the night. Vincent, that was some show you gave us.”

Before Lei could envelop him in his arms, the older man was pulled back. “Dear, I may have restored his energy reservoirs, but he’s not in any shape to handle one of your hugs.” Elaine stepped from behind her mate and closed the distance. “Are you sure you should be up and walking?”

“I’m sure. Mace’s been carrying me around like a Barbie doll. Thanks again, Miss Elaine. It means a lot you all saw it.”

She covered her mouth as she chuckled. “We wouldn’t have missed it for the world. If only you’d seen Lei’s reaction to your clairvoyance.”

Lei palmed Vincent’s shoulder gingerly. “I was holdin’ onto the bench so hard, I think a board might need replacing. Although, I remember a certain lady holding onto me for dear life when we dove into the bonfire…”

Mason laughed when Elaine pinched Lei. “Well, we have plenty of pizza to go around. You two staying for dinner?”

Lei’s tan eyes glowed briefly. “How can I say no to free food? Besides, I need to meet our guests.”

Vincent and Mason watched as Kaplan returned with filled plates for them.

Dirk dipped his head, then shook Lei’s hand. “Alpha. Dirk Wescott, Head Enforcer to NYSP.”

“It’s refreshing to see a bear in our neck of the woods. Pleased to meet you.” Lei turned to the other man. “I’m assuming you’re the head beta? I’d wager you keep Ty on his toes.”

Kaplan was visibly nervous. “K-Kaplan Alvey, sir, a-and I try my best.”

The elder alpha shook his head. “No need to be so formal, you two. Speaking of Ty, where’s my marine?”

“He’s… err, hunting. He said he’d be back shortly.”

A third knock echoed through the house. Vincent set his plate down and shuffled towards the door. When Mason followed, he muttered, “I need to move before my muscles get stiff.” It was a struggle, but he managed to reach the entrance and turn the doorknob. What he saw shocked him. “Ty?”

The alpha’s hair was wild. No longer combed over, black strands stood in every possible direction. Only wearing pants and a suit jacket, the large man patted Vincent’s shoulder and entered. “Ty, you look like hell. Are you okay?”

Tierney ran fingers through his messy hair. “Oh, I’m great. I haven't hunted like that in years. Mason, I may have to come visit more often. Your woods made my wolf very happy. So vast and fresh! I could spend the rest of my days as a peaceful nomad here.”

“TY!” Lei’s booming voice threatened to burst eardrums.

The New Yorker’s red irises shined as he pounced and gave Lei a tight hug. “Leidolf! My gods, let me look at you.” Holding each other apart, Tierney snorted. “You got old.”

Everyone snickered while Lei punched Ty’s arm. “Is that any way to talk to your CO?”

“Blow it out your ass, Lieutenant. Jokes aside, it’s good to see you… Almost as good as that pizza I smell. Make a hole!” Tierney brushed Lei aside.

A few minutes later, when Vincent followed him into the kitchen, he found everyone watching Ty bite into a slice. Why are they all looking at him like that? It’s like he stinks or something.

The New Yorker smirked as he swallowed. “I’ll be coming back for the rest of the pie, but I get the clue. I’ll be back after I shower.” Grinning like the Cheshire Cat, the alpha was halfway out of the kitchen when he removed his jacket. Vincent’s jaw dropped. Holy…

Tierney’s back was covered from neck to waist in raw, red marks. Blood oozed from the wounds, and had smeared from wearing the blazer. Oh, my gods! It looks like someone tried to murder him.

A long whistle came from behind him. The mage spun to see Dirk’s lips close, and Mason trying to hold in some sort of laugh. Pieces of the puzzle snapped into place. Ty… just got laid? That’s why everyone was staring at him. They could smell him!

“Good for him,” Dirk muttered.

A surprising thought popped in Vincent’s mind. Oh. Oh! Oh, gods… Tierney… and Morrine? Oh, that’s nasty. Shaking his head in hopes of purging the unsettling image, the clawed flesh reappeared in his head. Is that… That’s what’s going to happen to me? When Mace and I…

“Hey, hey!”

Mason kneeled in front of him, looking concerned. “What’s going on in that head of yours? You’re scared.”

His cheeks felt hot. “I…” He glanced at Elaine, then back to his mate. “Can I ask you later?”

“If it’s what I think it is, you can ask now. Something you need to get used to about us is our natural immodesty on certain subjects. Kind of comes with the whole shifting and being naked thing.”

Vincent did not believe what he heard. He looked at everyone in the room. Dirk, Dave, and Lei grinned, while Elaine smiled and shrugged. “So, that was… Miss Morrine did that?”

Mason nodded.

“Is… Is that normal? Do all shifters do it like that?”

He felt stupid when the guys covered their mouths and turned away. Elaine caught Lei’s stifled snicker and smacked the back of his head. Yes? No? Maybe?

Mason held him tightly. “No, Vinnie. Sex with shifters’ fairly tame, just like humans are accustomed to. I can see how something like that would be disturbing, but I promise you it’s not always like that,” he said as he pointed toward the hallway. “I mean, you know who Morrine is now. Would you expect anything different?”

He thought about it. Well, she’s a tiger. Tigers have nails, and cats do like to scratch things. “I don’t think I could.”

“Good.” Mason moved closer and whispered in his ear, “When it’s time for us, I’ll only make love to you, my pup. I would never hurt you.”

Vincent’s groin reacted to the statement. He had to bite his lip to keep himself in control. “We should eat. Food’s getting cold.” Retrieving his plate, Vincent bit into the lukewarm pizza. His hunger became more apparent as he ate. Three slices in, he went back for more.

“You getting enough, Vinnie?”

Vincent nodded. “Yeah. I feel hungrier than usual though. I usually call it after two or three pieces. I can’t seem to stop.”

“You exhausted your magic stores,” Elaine pointed out. “What did you think was going to happen?”

“That,” Lei said, “and sometimes with human-shifter matings, the human mind and body starts mimicking certain behaviors, including diet.”

As Mason nodded, Vincent scooted closer. Their legs and sides touched. So this was to be expected. It’s all normal. I knew the bond was affecting my mood, but I wasn’t anticipating such drastic changes.

Lei sipped from a soda can before looking at Dirk and Kaplan. “I’m sure Mace told you to stay as long as you please, but when were y’all heading home?”

“In a couple of days,” Dirk answered. “The other betas and enforcers practically ordered us to take a proper vacation.”

Vincent was interested. Ty has more councilmen than these two? I mean, that makes sense if he’s in charge of New York. He yawned, reminding him of his sore muscles.

“C’mon, Pup. Let’s get you tucked in.”

Mason’s suggestion sounded amazing. Yeah, I should. The plate was taken from his lap as the alpha urged him to his feet. “Good night, everyone. I’m glad you enjoyed my dance.”

They murmured their goodbyes and praise as he went to bed.

Stripped and covered with a blanket, his body and mind were shutting down.

“Comfy?”

He nodded. That voice. It sounds so deep and nice.

***

Damn, that was fast.

Mason pulled the comforter up to cover Vincent’s shoulders. Sweet dreams, my mate. I won’t be long, I promise. Returning to the kitchen, he found everyone’s attention on him. “He passed out the moment his head hit the pillow.”

His dad grinned. “Treasure him, son. Your mate’s one in a million.”

“I will, for the rest of our lives.” He sat and stared at the wall separating him from Vincent.

“You’re feeling him, aren’t you?”

A distracted Mason nodded.

“Just a small note about destined bonds. Your mate will sleep, but it’ll be restless unless you’re there with him.”

“What do you mean? He looked like a sleeping angel when I left.”

“Yes, because you were near. Now there’s a wall between you. Look inside yourself. Feel your bond. Is there irritation?”

Closing his eyes, he felt his end of the bond near his heart, then followed it to Vincent. When he discovered a disturbance, he exhaled sharply. There was a tremor, then another. He’s tossing and turning.

Lei must have seen his reaction. “Even in the deepest sleep, you ache for each other.”

“I think that’s our sign to go home,” Elaine said softly. “Go to him, Mace. Even if you lie awake, your mate needs you.”

As Mason basked in the newfound feeling, his beta and parents got up. Lei faced the hallway and said, “We’re leaving, Ty. Stop by the house tomorrow and we’ll catch up.”

“Gotcha.” The reply was faint, most likely from the guest bedroom. “See you then.”

With Dirk and Kaplan handling the dishes and everyone else leaving, Mason obeyed his mother. He opened the door to his bedroom and watched his mate. Dad’s right. The human was rolling around, blanket unfurled and kicked away. The alpha stepped closer, and as if Vincent knew he was there, he relaxed. It’s so strange. Is this going to happen to me?

He shed the bathrobe and slipped between the sheets. Returning the comforter to its proper place, he scooted closer. I’ll never leave your side. I promise you, my love. Wrapping an arm around the smaller waist, Mason heard Vincent mumble unintelligibly and lean against the wolf’s hairy chest. Our bond must be strong for him to subconsciously know I’m here with him. He watched the human sleep for nearly an hour.

***

Vincent woke peacefully. Beams of sunlight threatened to blind him. Gods, how long did I sleep? It must be late in the morning.

“Morning.”

Hearing Mason’s voice, the mage realized the lycan was holding him. He hummed and stretched his legs. “Mmm, mornin’. What time is it?”

“Just after ten. Figured I’d let you sleep in a bit.” Mason nuzzled the back of Vincent’s ear and whispered, “You sleep okay?”

The warm, light breath tickled, forcing a smile. “Yeah, you?”

“Like a baby. Roll over and let me look at you.” Obeying, the men faced each other. Mason growled as Vincent ran his fingers through the hairy chest. “Are you hungry? There’s probably some pizza left over.”

“Consider it gone. Cold pizza sounds awesome.”

Mason’s nose twitched. “You don’t want that. Galaxy Pizza’s crust doesn’t do cold pizza justice. Gotta slap them in the oven for a bit. You stay here, I’ll be right back.”

He watched the alpha don his robe and leave. Grabbing his phone, Vincent scooted to the other side and basked in the remnants of Mason’s body heat. He could barely smell the pine soap the man used. Scrolling through the news app, he heard the coffee machine whirr and the squeaky oven door. When Mason returned, the lycan had a shit-eating grin. “What?”

“You’re on my side of the bed, and your hair looks like you’ve just been fucked. Wonder what you’ll look like after we play.” Mason crawled under the blanket and atop Vincent.

He’s so much bigger than me. Licking his lips, Vincent reveled in being underneath the powerful man. Their bodies connected, and the friction was electric. When Mason’s mouth landed on the faded hickey, the mage felt every muscle melt.

Neither man showed the desire to get off. They merely wanted to explore. Vincent found a small patch in Mason’s beard that refused to grow. That’s cute.

The wolf seemed fascinated with his belly. After having his outie pinched, Vincent asked for an explanation for the attention.

“Just playing with it while I can. Food should be done. Once we eat, I think we should go get you some clothes, then go grocery shopping. Pantry’s about empty. Dirk found my pecans.”

Vincent pouted. “The applewood-smoked ones? He better not have eaten them all.”

“May they rest in peace. C’mon, time to fill that belly.”

They found Kaplan in the kitchen, in jeans and a polo, pouring coffee into a mug. “Good morning, Alpha.” Mason must have made a face because the beta cringed. “Sorry, Mason.”

Fetching two cups, Mason snickered. “Sleep alright with Dirk’s snoring?”

“It’s not bad once you get used to it, but his gas is another story. He’ll be out until noon or so.”

Vincent struggled to hold in his giggles. He needed to desperately change the subject. “How about Ty?”

Kaplan looked to the living room. “Alpha Scott hasn’t come out yet either. I hear him stirring, so it shouldn’t be much longer.”

“Can I ask a dumb question?”

The beta nodded.

“Why do you always call Ty by his title? I imagine you’re welcome to since he told us we could.”

Leaning against the counter, Kaplan sighed. “I had a bad experience in my previous pack. I’d rather be safe than sorry.”

Mason paused before taking a sip. “You don’t have to tell us, Kap. I’d rather keep my head than have it hanging from Tierney’s mantle.”

“It’s all right. Alpha Scott keeps telling me to get it off my chest. My previous alpha was very traditional. It was plain and simple; I didn’t look or act manly, so rumors flew. I did everything I could to prove them wrong, but Alpha Ren and Enforcer Benoit’s minds were made up. Being slender and having a higher pitched voice was grounds for…” Kaplan’s lips scrunched, and he swallowed hard. “…disciplinary beatings. Exile followed soon after.”

Vincent lost his breath. Beaten? I heard some shifters were brutal, but this—

Something tugged inside his chest. Wh-what the hell is that? Why do I feel like I should… Mace. Turning, he saw the alpha’s irises shining burnt-orange. Oh, he’s pissed. He’s fuming! He reached for the man’s balled fist. “Big guy?”

When he didn’t earn a response, he rubbed his thumb over Mason’s in a circle. “Hey, I feel you, and I get it. I’m pissed too, but Kap’s here. Alpha What’s-his-face isn’t. Our friend’s in a better pack with a kick-ass leader. He has a home that cares for him.”

Mason took Vincent’s hand and abruptly stood. “You’re valued, Kaplan. You aren’t my beta, but I see how Tierney and Dirk look at you. It’s with respect, and always with a smile. Your former alpha should be ashamed. To judge someone based on how they look, talk, walk, exist… That’s just pitiful.”

Sharing the same opinion, Vincent nodded. “I’m in the same boat, Kap. I assume Ty already knows all of this?”

“Thank you, both,” Kaplan mumbled. “Alpha Scott found out shortly after promoting me. He already had words with Alpha Ren, then challenged him. He submitted a report to the EC for his pack to be evaluated, and from what I heard, he was excommunicated and deemed unfit to lead. I owe Alpha Scott my life. When I requested sanctuary, he met with me personally. He saw potential in me, and helped enroll me into law school. Halfway through, he made me a beta, and upon graduation, appointed me as the pack’s attorney.”

Both shapeshifters turned toward the hallway entrance. Shortly after, Tierney walked in. “They speak the truth, Kaplan. You’re more than just my beta; you’re a friend. Not just mine, but to these two as well.” The New Yorker glanced at Mason. “I heard you say you’d hunt Ren down. That speaks to me. That you’d want to defend my beta’s honor. He was a piss-poor excuse of an alpha. I had him on his back in no time, begging like a little bitch.”

Mason grunted, “Still. Can’t help being pissed.”

“I understand, and that’s why I beat his ass. Let’s change the subject, shall we? You feeling better, Mr. Popsicle?”

Vincent rolled his eyes. “Yeah. A little sore, but I’m feeling pretty refreshed. Mace has a whole day planned for us, and I think I’ll meditate a bit when we get back.”

“A solid plan. I think I’ll be heading to Lei’s to drink his bourbon. Mason, you mind if we have a chat later this evening?”

“Sure thing.”

The four ate, leaving several slices for the sleeping bear. Dressing casual, the couple drove to Mesker Park City’s extensive, outdoor mall. Against Vincent’s wishes, Mason demanded they stop at several stores, ensuring a variety of clothes. He’s really making me get it all. Athletic wear, dress clothes… And at the rate he’s picking out shit, I’ll need to get my own dresser or something. Although it was foreign to be purchasing so much, it was welcome. Feels like I belong here now. No more carrying around five shirts, shoes, and a pair of pants. I can actually have a wardrobe now.

The mage groaned when Mason dragged him into a men's formalwear store. Greeted by a tailor, Vincent was led to a short platform in front of several mirrors. He felt uncomfortable with the measuring tape wrapped around his limbs. “Is this really necessary?”

Mason leaned against a wall and smirked. “You’re the pack’s mated alpha now, so there’s going to be times when you need to look your best. Dinners, formal parties, the yearly summit meeting.”

“The what?”

“Every November, all territory-holding alphas, their mates, and councils meet up. There’s classes, a yearly game, a hoity-toity meeting, but it’s usually a big deal, so a suit is recommended. On the bright side, there’s lots of running, hunting, some friendly spars, and an endless amount of top-notch food.”

“That sounds pretty cool. I didn’t know…”

Vincent sobered. He looked at the tailor measuring his waist. “Mace? Does he…?”

“Yeah, Javier’s cool, but I’m not sure if he knows about you though. Javi, you like magic tricks?”

The short, older man perked up. “I enjoy magic, Mr. Wilson. Some sleight of hand fools my grandson every time.”

“This is my mate, Vincent. He has a few tricks up his sleeve. Vinnie?”

When the tape fell, Vincent extended his hand. “Nice to meet you. I’m what the supernatural community calls a mage.” Holding his palms out, Vincent thought of something a tailor might like. Got it. Now form it. He focused on the finer details, and how the energy manifested. Tiny chunks of ice appeared, slowly expanding into a thin, rectangular shape. It was translucent, but had a faint, blue hue.

Satisfied with his creation, he handed it to Javier. “Here you go, sir. It’s a tie clip made from my frost magic. Unfortunately, it won’t last forever, but I made it extra special. It’ll evaporate in a couple of days, so you don’t have to worry about it getting anything wet.”

Javier took it with great care. “It’s so cold. It… It’s beautiful.” The man marveled before removing his gold clip and replacing it with the new one. “I’ll wear it while I can. Thank you. I learned of Mr. Wilson’s kind long ago, but I didn’t know this magic existed.”

While the tailor measured, Vincent happily answered the man’s questions. Afterward, he and Mason perused the shop and found a few articles that would make due until Vincent’s suit was finished. As he rifled through a rack, Mason grabbed the mage’s waist. “I wouldn’t go too wild; probably a handful of outfits since you’ll outgrow them.”

“What do you mean? I’ve been this size all my life. I’ll probably gain a few pounds since you keep shoving food in my face.”

“Well, I don’t know when you’ll want to be turned, and you’ll go through some changes after that.”

“What kind of changes?”

“The lycanthropy virus’s very active in a newly turned human. Your body will automatically burn any unnecessary fat and define your muscles. You won’t get taller, but old scars will heal, including your circumcision. The only one that won’t is the bite mark. You’ll notice your abs, biceps, and legs the most. Not going to lie, I’ll miss your nerdy look, but I’ll get used to it. Also, your facial and body hair will grow like wildfire. The only real negatives will be your inability to get drunk and the silver allergy.”

Vincent knew about the lack of intoxication and the allergy, but didn’t know the full extent. “How bad is that, by the way?”

“Deadly,” Mason said sternly. “Touching it will give you first-degree burns but ingesting it or prolonged exposure can be serious. There are hunters out there that use silver ammo to cause serious damage. We have remedies to lessen the pain or remove trace materials.”

“So Dave’s leg wound was pretty bad?”

The alpha squinted. “The bullet went through. A wound like that needs irrigation, painkillers, and rest, but that’s easy to treat. Who told you about that?”

Feeling guilty for maybe knowing too much, Vincent shoved his hands in his pockets. “Miss Elaine. She told me before I met Ty on that conference call. She…” He licked his lips. “She told me about Dave’s brother.”

From Mason’s end of the bond, Vincent’s stomach felt like a sour pit. The lycan’s gaze dropped. “Wounds like that are untreatable. If that was a regular bullet, Chris wouldn’t have been the same. He’d still have brain damage after he healed naturally.”

Vincent was floored. A bullet to the brain? They can come back from that? Holy… Needing to comfort Mason, he went in for a hug. “I’m sorry about Chris. I didn’t mean to bring it up, but it helped me understand the cons of becoming a shapeshifter.”

Mason’s sadness dissipated. He stared at Vincent with wonder. “You do realize the other cons, right? Shifters are hunted. There’s deep politics, territory nonsense—”

“I got it. As long as I’m with you, I know nothing bad will happen.”

The man’s golden eyes flashed. “Every day, I’m reminded you’re perfect for me.”

The pair picked a suit from Javier’s catalog, placed the order, and paid for their selections. “Time to grocery shop, then head home.”

Arriving at Greenthumb, Vincent snagged one of the tacky, green carts, and left Mason to follow. Vincent had the store’s layout memorized. Produce first. When the lycan caught up, there was some protest. “Get your panties untwisted. I hide the veggies when I cook, don’t I?”

As Mason grumbled, Vincent picked out products for his go-to meals. Some leaf spinach, mushrooms, fresh garlic… Two? Nah, four heads. Oh, green onions too. Catching the picky meat-eater holding a turnip was one of the oddest sights. “Put that down. I know you’d hate them.”

“Why?”

“Bitter when raw, and earthy when cooked.”

Mason sneered and returned it to its bin. Moving further into the store, the alpha whined. “Are you going down every aisle?”

“Well, yeah. I’ve been off the past few days, and last night was tag-changes. Price crew might’ve put something on an insane close-out. That, and we’re out of everything anyway.”

“You know you don’t need to penny-pinch, right?”

Vincent raised an eyebrow. “Last week, there were three laundry pod UPCs put on a seventy-five percent off discontinue sale. Would you walk past that and not grab every freaking one? You wouldn’t have to worry about running out for months.”

“Touché.” The longer they shopped, the more Mason seemed to enjoy himself. He managed to find interesting items he never knew existed, such as bacon-ranch dressing, pickled okra, and gnocchi.

Nabbing several boxes of pasta, Vincent saw a familiar face. “Hi, Mr. Welsh!”

The store manager was about to pass the aisle, but changed course. “Afternoon, Vincent. How’s your head?”

“Doing much better, sir. I’ll be back in the morning.”

“It’s going to be strange seeing you in the daytime.” Quinn turned to Mason. “I take it you’re Dave’s other boss? I’m Quinn, the GM.”

Mason shook the man’s hand. “Mason. Other boss? I think you might be thinkin’ of someone else. I just run a farm.”

“Nah, I think I got the right guy,” he said with a wink. “Dave talked to me about you when I overheard a phone call of his a few months ago. Not sure if he told you, but I have a few full-time positions opening soon on the front-end. I’d like to offer them to your friends before I post them on job boards.”

Mason straightened and smiled. “I appreciate that, Mr. Welsh. I’ll spread the word, and expect more business from my friends.”

The statement excited the manager. “I… Thank you! You guys are some of the best workers I’ve ever seen. The alternating Saturdays are a pain, but it’s nothing I can’t handle.”

“Actually,” Mason said, rubbing the back of his head, “due to the upcoming hunting season, we’re making the meetings monthly.”

“Ah. Not the best reason, but I'm glad to give more hours to great workers.” Quinn returned to Vincent. “Your boyfriend’s not the man Dave told me about. I imagined a dark and brooding mafia boss or something. Got a few emails to send out before a conference call. Mason, a pleasure meeting you. Vincent, see you tomorrow.”

The two waved as the lanky man strolled away, but they needed to have a discussion. “What… the actual fuck was that?”

Mason was just as clueless. “You’re asking me? Dave told me that guy’s a prick. Seems cool as hell to me. I think the pack just found its go-to grocery store.”

“He’s a numbers guy so you won’t see him stocking a shelf. When sales are down, he’s rough to be around. Other than that, he’s chill. I had no idea he knew about the supernatural.”

“I mean, Dave has the right to reveal our existence if someone’s exposed, but I would’ve liked a heads up. He doesn’t seem like the type to go around blabbin’.” Peering into the basket, Mason pointed, waving his finger around. “So, what are you planning to do with all this rabbit food again?”

Vincent rolled his eyes. “I’m making a proper alfredo, Mr. Meat-Eater. You won’t even know they’re in there.”

When they reached the meat department, Vincent gawked as Mason ransacked the cases and bunkers. It was then the mage remembered he was dating a shapeshifter. Good gods! How many packs of ground beef— He hadn’t finished the thought when the alpha plopped the two largest packs of bacon into the cart. “Really?”

Mason stuck his tongue out, then dragged the cart toward the frozen section. He piled more food into the now overflowing cart; Vincent grabbed vegetables and sliced fruits, while the lycan found a monster-sized bag of fries. I mean, not the healthiest, but he doesn’t have to worry about that, does he? The more calories, the better for him. That virus comes in handy…

At the check-out area, Vincent noticed there was no clerk to bag the groceries. He instructed Mason to fill the conveyor belt while the cashier fed him the scanned goods. Bagging them, Vincent worked with haste. I always liked coming up to bag people’s orders. It’s like Tetris. Cold with cold, bread on top of eggs, non-food kept separate. Never understood why other workers hate this when the store’s busy. This shit’s easy.

Before Vincent could grab his wallet, Mason whipped his out and paid. With the truck loaded, the lycan drove away. “That was the most fun I’ve ever had in a damned grocery store. It didn’t even feel like a pain.”

“Grocery shopping’s a pain?”

“Yeah! The lines, the people in the way… It all just sucks. But with you, it was so different. You were a fuckin’ monster back there. You looked like a kid fitting square pegs in square holes while snorting coke.”

“That’s what it is; putting puzzle pieces together.”

Mason rubbed the mage’s knee. “Well, I was impressed, baby. It gave me an appreciation of what you and Dave do.”

Focusing on the hand, the warmth felt nice. Simply watching the road while driving, Mason looked stunning. Hell, even shopping with him makes me want him. If he wasn’t driving, I’d…

There were butterflies in his stomach. His feelings were strong, and Vincent couldn’t deny them. Since last night’s pampering, he wanted to return the favor. He cared for me when I could barely stand. Carried me, bathed me…

“Vinnie?”

Blinking, he noticed they were parked in front of Mason’s garage. We’re here? Did I blank for that long?

“Alright,” Mason said as he shifted in his seat. “Spill the beans. What’s going on in that head of yours?”

“That obvious, huh?”

“Part of being a shifter. You smell like you’re happy, and our bond tells me you’re thinking like a madman. You can talk to me, hot stuff.”

Vincent glanced down. Guess I can’t hide how I’m feeling then. “I’ve been thinking since last night.” He held Mason’s hand and took a deep breath. “I’ve accepted our bond. This destiny to be together. Nothing’s going to change that. It wasn’t until very recently I accepted my feelings about our relationship. I know it’s only been a week, but I feel like I’ve known you for months, even years. Every time you hold my hand, give me a hug, or kiss me, you make sparks fly. I have never felt this way about someone, and I can’t ignore it.”

Looking at him, Vincent smiled harder. His heart was pounding, threatening to burst from his chest. His words needed to be spoken and heard. “I love you, Mace.”

Copyright © 2020 astone2292; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 41
  • Love 56
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments



Awesome chapter, great to get more background information about others , Vincent is settling in really well plus he has recovered from the dance, now we wait his transformation that I am sure will be a lot of fun and drama

  • Like 5
Link to comment

Don’t get too wrapped about in the details @astone2292, of “waaay too many errors in italicization and punctuation.” Like the Lycans hearing what is barely spoken. “We can read, undarstan, and Njoy wat is wRitt3n w3n them English gieks jut dont git it#” 😊 

Oh Dave, did you ever wonder exactly why and how the manager “happened” to be there, at the right time, in the right place, to overhear the conversations of Lycans, when your superior hearing should have detected the presence of any normally approaching humans. 🤔 

Keep the updates coming, as we have to “scratch” out a mating and quickly morph Vinnie some bonding growth; he can even do it before the stitches are wasted at the tailor! Little Vinnie needs to adapt before the smug manager and his evil master coordinates intelligence and returns to strike Vinnie in a weakened state; the presence of the NY delegation helps make up for a Vinnie transitioning weakness and Mace’s distraction to care for him. Likewise, make they are objective enough to still be wary of Quin! 😡  

  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

"I take it your Dave's other boss? Quinn Welsh. I'm the store manager." The Giraffe held out his hand.  (Is it really a secret?)

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
1 minute ago, innerkid13 said:

"I take it your Dave's other boss? Quinn Welsh. I'm the store manager." The Giraffe held out his hand.  (Is it really a secret?)

A decent portion of the town is pack, and Quinn is Dave's manager at the Greenthumb. Dave spoke about Mason being his "other boss" to Quinn. But I agree that it is starting to seem that a lot of people know about the shifters. I'll try to keep the lycans more of a secret for the future. :) thanks for the comment! Hope you're enjoying it so far!

  • Like 4
Link to comment
23 hours ago, astone2292 said:

A decent portion of the town is pack, and Quinn is Dave's manager at the Greenthumb. Dave spoke about Mason being his "other boss" to Quinn. But I agree that it is starting to seem that a lot of people know about the shifters. I'll try to keep the lycans more of a secret for the future. :) thanks for the comment! Hope you're enjoying it so far!

I’m thoroughly enjoying.  Thank you.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
On 11/24/2020 at 7:58 AM, astone2292 said:

A decent portion of the town is pack, and Quinn is Dave's manager at the Greenthumb. Dave spoke about Mason being his "other boss" to Quinn. But I agree that it is starting to seem that a lot of people know about the shifters. I'll try to keep the lycans more of a secret for the future. :) thanks for the comment! Hope you're enjoying it so far!

Likewise, just a tidbit of knowledge doesn’t automatically mean, oh hell, you know this so I might as well tell you everything. I haven’t told you yet about another part, mages, magic, of our supernatural...WHAT? That defies secrecy logic; do we go ahead and invite him to the pack meeting? lol

ok, I’m done now! Hahaha

Your storyline is still fantastic, so please don’t take my comments to be a slam, it’s just sharing a classification and protection type environment. Beyond what you already know, Sgt Shwartz says: I KNOW NOTHING!.” 

Edited by Philippe
  • Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
On 11/23/2020 at 8:40 AM, Patch1 said:

You know you have "it" when as an author, you can make regular tasks like shopping a main focal point of the story and your subjects can't quit reading. You keep upping your game my friend.  Another rollercoaster of emotions in this chapter!  Anger, compassion, joy, and so many more....  And ending with the big one...Love!  You got a few tears on this one too...  Perfect ending to the perfect day!  Thank you again for another great chapter .... nothing but love here for the author and the story!!!  ❤️:heart:❤️ 

I was thinking the same thing about him having "it". And the ending with the "L" word is by far the perfect cliffhanger! I am enjoying it so much that I hope this story never ends. But I know it will. And I will not whine when it does. Keep on writing for us readers to make us happy so it will put a gigantic smile on your face!

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator

Vinnie has reached a watershed moment. Up until now he has been distracted by this irresistible pull and yearning, plus all his training and learning about the area, the pack, and his coming role in them. He suddenly realizes he loves Mason.

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment

Am back reading it all over again was wondering if you would be writing about the lycan summit and if it’s possible to introduce our friends from running with the pack ? Thanks 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
2 minutes ago, Nana Atuwa said:

Am back reading it all over again was wondering if you would be writing about the lycan summit and if it’s possible to introduce our friends from running with the pack ? Thanks 

Running with the Pack is an entire universe written by WolfM. My stories are not in the same universe and I have no intention of bringing the two worlds together. 

I will be introducing the yearly shifter meeting/summit in the third book in the series. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment

classes for new instated shifters — this wording is confusing, might it be better said, 'classes for newly installed shifters' instead?

patented sky grins — did you mean, 'patented 'sly' grins'… fucked by spell-check again!!!

  • Like 3
Link to comment
2 hours ago, Will Hawkins said:

classes for new instated shifters — this wording is confusing, might it be better said, 'classes for newly installed shifters' instead?

patented sky grins — did you mean, 'patented 'sly' grins'… fucked by spell-check again!!!

Fixed those pesky issues :) 

  • Like 3
Link to comment

And now I'm a puddle.  The simple everyday moments that are extraordinary because you're doing something ordinary with someone you love.  Perfection.

 

And I may be changing my opinion of Kaplan.  (Or maybe a very clever writer is making me lower my guard.)

Edited by Quixo
  • Love 2
Link to comment
2 hours ago, Quixo said:

And now I'm a puddle.  The simple everyday moments that are extraordinary because you're doing something ordinary with someone you love.  Perfection.

 

And I may be changing my opinion of Kaplan.  (Or maybe a very clever writer is making me lower my guard.)

I live for ordinary moments. They're always the memorable ones. 

Keep an eye on Kaplan, 'cause he'll steal your heart next, Quixo...

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Domestic bliss is quite a nice state of being.  You captured it so well in the chapter.  From 12 years old to 18 years old I did the same job as Vincent in a local store.  He packed the bag exactly by the regulations.  You must have had a similar experience to describe this task so well.  :2thumbs:

  • Love 2
Link to comment
30 minutes ago, raven1 said:

Domestic bliss is quite a nice state of being.  You captured it so well in the chapter.  From 12 years old to 18 years old I did the same job as Vincent in a local store.  He packed the bag exactly by the regulations.  You must have had a similar experience to describe this task so well.  :2thumbs:

Worked in grocery retail for over a decade. You learn the ins and outs of grocery shopping very fast. I enjoyed working on the overnight stock crew since I could see what items were going on discontinued or what went on a hella-good sale before the store opened. Really useful when laundry detergent got marked down :)

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
23 minutes ago, kbois said:

You made Vinnie utter the "L" word. 

I would've thrown in a cliffie to boot. Lol. 

Ehh. I kept an appropriate amount of cliffies in this series. Their occurrences operate like a slow clap. There'll be more as you read on...

  • Love 2
Link to comment

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..