Jump to content
    astone2292
  • Author
  • 7,299 Words
  • 4,965 Views
  • 22 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Love in the Shadows - 6. Chapter 6: Improper Interrogation

What’s this man thinking? I can't eat all of this!

Staring at the plate and what it held, Vincent was full of hunger and trepidation. Mason had made omelets for both of them. The alpha warned him; he only knew how to make them one way. These things are huge! He used ten eggs just for mine! I'll be lucky to eat half…

He noticed Mason staring. The glare intensified as Vincent picked up the fork. Is he waiting for me to taste it? With plenty of melted cheddar, bacon crumbles, and seasonings, the monstrous dish looked almost elegant. He cut a corner of the half-circle-shaped egg concoction and pierced it.

Taking a bite, it took willpower to stop himself from moaning. Oh my… Oh my gods! This is great! Vincent quickly shoved down another piece. It was fluffy and full of flavor.

“So, good eggs?” The wolf’s smile was toothy. The mage saw Mason’s eagerness.

Still chewing, Vincent held two fingers on his lips. He swallowed and twirled the fork, “This is good. Like, really good!”

“Really? Not too much cheese?”

Vincent chuckled, “A little, but I like it. This tastes like it belongs in a restaurant.”

“That’s funny. I thought about opening one a few years ago.”

“Why didn’t you? You could really sell these omelets.”

Mason cut a few pieces. “My wolf had a problem with it. If I got stuck in the kitchen, I’d be taking orders.”

“And that doesn’t sit well with being an alpha, right?” Getting a nod as a response, he watched carefully. “I don’t think it would be bad for your wolf if you create the business concept and manage it. It doesn't have to be you who cooks it, big guy. You just have to show the cooks how you want it prepared.”

Mason brought his eyes up to meet Vincent’s. “Didn’t think about it that way. I thought about it before I was Pack Alpha. It was kind of a pipe dream for me when I was younger.”

“Wasn’t it just last night you told me that if I had an ambition, it was important to follow it?”

The wolf shook his head. “True, but with me being the pack’s leader, I don’t have a lot of extra time for myself.”

He doesn’t have extra time? Vincent didn’t like that. If he can’t pursue his dreams, then where am I supposed to fit?

Mason leaned forward over the kitchen island, staring Vincent down, “But I’ll always make time for you. You’re my mate, and you should expect me to drop everything for you.”

The wolf walked around and wrapped an arm around Vincent, “Eat up, Pup. We got plenty to do today.”

Vincent chuffed at the command. “And how do you expect me to eat this whole thing? This is big enough to feed an army!”

“Yeah, that’s my bad! Lycan need more food than normal humans. In all honesty, this is kind of a small breakfast for me. Usually, there’s potatoes, bacon, sausage, and whatever else I can cook up.” Mason looked at the bewildered man. “Typical meal for me weighs three, maybe four pounds of food.”

“Jeez! I’d hate to see your grocery bill.”

“My dining bill’s bigger. Don’t get to cook often, but I like to keep my skills sharp. Do you like to cook?”

Embarrassment flowed through Vincent. “I-I do, but I haven’t cooked for myself… in a long time. I mostly eat take-out or microwave meals nowadays.” He heard a light rumble coming from Mason. “Hey, you good?”

The wolf sighed, “Just upset that I didn’t find you sooner. You’re done eating like that, Vinnie. If you ever eat another frozen dinner again, I’ll personally find the biggest rib-eye steak and cook it for you.”

Tears threatened to rush down Vincent’s face as he nestled his head against the strong man. “Thank you. Are you saying that as my boyfriend… or my mate?”

Mason rubbed the nape of Vincent’s neck. “Both. I’ll always have your back. Now as your boyfriend, and if you’ll have me, forever as your mate.”

The offer made Vincent smile. “I want to have your back too. I just don’t know how to help.” I don’t even know what he does as the pack's Alpha, much less how I can be of any assistance.

Mason leaned in and kissed him on the cheek. “You just did. You said have your mate’s back, and that’s a lot in my book. You aren’t familiar with pack dynamics and only have some familiarity with our culture. The best way to help is to learn. I know we’re still dating, but a lot of people will see you as more. The Alpha’s mate is often considered the mother of the pack, taking care of the members’ well-being, and being a close adviser to the Alpha.

“As far as I’m concerned, you don’t have to do anything until you say so. You didn’t really sign up for the position, and it isn’t really—”

“Mace.” The wolf halted his rant, clearly puzzled at the intrusion. Vincent momentarily paused and shoved his nervousness aside, “I’m still a little confused over all of this mate stuff, and I don’t know much about shifters and lycans. But I like you. I like you a lot! So, if that means I need to learn more or help out with something, tell me where to start.”

“That means a lot, Vinnie. Well, the best way to help out is to introduce you to the pack. It’ll let everyone know who you are, and you’ll start learning about our culture and customs.” Mason peeked over at their breakfast. “How about we head to town? We can grab some actual breakfast and stop by your apartment to pack a bag. As much as I like you in my clothes, I think you’d be more comfy in your own.”

Vincent blushed at his boyfriend’s sly grin. Wait. We already got breakfast. “So are we not finishing the omelets?”

“I think I’m going to wrap these up. They got pretty cold while we were busy chatting. We can have them later tonight if we get hungry. But I want to take you out for a nice breakfast in public.” He leaned in again to get closer to Vincent. “I need everyone in town to know we are together. That you’re mine.”

The mage smiled, feeling warm in the wolf’s embrace.“Let me get all the pans in the dishwasher, and some clothes on, and we’ll get going.”

***

Mason had thrown on a navy blue polo and dark jeans, making himself appear casual. Vincent watched as the lycan twirled a keyring on a finger. “Ready, Vinnie?”

“Yep.” Vincent got up from the leather couch to follow Mason. When he got within an arm’s distance of the bigger man, he noticed a new sensation. I feel more calm when he’s around. Like, really calm. My nerves were still playing with my head a bit when I was waiting for him to get dressed. Is this an effect of this mate bond? “Hey, Mace. I got a question. It’s kinda silly, but is it normal for one to feel different around their mate? I just walked up to you and now I feel more calm than I usually do.”

“Glad you noticed. I guess it’s normal, since I feel the same way around you. No one in this pack has found their destined mate, to my knowledge. So they’re just imprinted mates.”

“Okay. Is there a dictionary for wolf words, because I might need that.”

Laughing, Mason shook his head. “Nah, we don’t have anything like that. Imprinted mates are two shifters that committed to each other, kind of like marriage. They fell in love naturally, unlike us, who are destined by the supernatural. Make sense?”

Vincent nodded. Right. The book said the other way for love to be found was through normal dating. I guess this whole destined mate thing is pretty rare. “Yeah. I just found it strange because I didn’t notice the feeling until now. Maybe because I’ve accepted the fact that we’re mates?”

“That’s possible, but I’ll need to ask some of the elder pack members about it. They would know more. But for now…” Mason grabbed Vincent’s hand and started to walk out the door. “We need to get you some clothes.” The wolf guided him to the older truck left by Leidolf earlier. Mason told him it was an old 1967 Dodge Ram. Painted matte blue with rust trimming the edges of the doors and forward bumper, the mage was skeptical about its performance.

Walking up to the vehicle, Vincent noticed it wasn’t tall, and he could easily climb in compared to Mason’s black truck. When that truck comes back, I’m going to start making a frost step stool. Once inside, the mage noticed it was all one seat in the shape of an upholstered bench. He looked to his right shoulder area, trying to figure out where the seat belt was.

Mason sat on the driver’s side and must have noticed him struggling with life’s complications. “It’s a lap belt. Haven’t you been in an old truck like this before?”

Looking down, Vincent saw what Mason meant by a lap belt. You’re joking, right? How is this supposed to keep me safe? Once buckled in, Vincent felt like he was just being protected by a roller coaster safety bar. “This thing’s safe, right?”

“Relax. This thing can’t go over sixty miles an hour, even if I tried. It's got some engine issues, but it still gets you from point A to B.” He rested a hand on Vincent’s lap. “Don’t worry, we won’t end up like the last time we were in a vehicle together.”

The wolf’s words helped Vincent breathe a little easier. Yeah, I doubt Stefan would send more mercs out this fast. It’ll probably be a month or two before I deal with more. Vincent placed a hand over Mason’s as the truck sputtered to life and drove down the gravel driveway.

On the way to town, Mason talked more about common interactions between shifters, and Vincent was happy to learn everything thrown at him. But the mage’s interest grew when Mason warned him to not stare too long into a shifter's eyes. "Is it a bad thing?"

"Kind of. If you stare too long, or do it with intensity, the shifter will deem it a challenge of power. It normally doesn't end in a confrontation, but with you as a human, that chance becomes more likely. Essentially, it turns into a hardcore staring contest. First one to blink, look away, or show anything other than a strong and dominant emotion loses. And with you being my mate, you’re sure to be given a challenge by some of the human haters."

That doesn't sound good. "I'm sorry, human haters? I guess that's slang for shifters who aren't friendly toward humans?"

The lightest of growls escaped Mason's lips. "Yeah, especially toward turned humans. There are some pure-bred members of the community that don't like having non-shifters amongst them, but they won't be bothering you when you're at my side." Mason gripped Vincent’s hand ever so slightly tighter.

Vincent felt all warm and fuzzy, knowing the big, bad wolf was there to protect him. Even though I think I could handle a staring contest or two, I’d like to avoid causing any drama. "Anything else I should know before I make my first public appearance?"

"I think that covers it for a bit. Just refrain from using the terms 'werewolf' and 'dog.' That'll ruffle some coats. I'll probably induct you as an honorary pack member at this weekend's meeting so everyone will know who you are. You okay with getting up in front of people?"

He nodded, but tensed up at being told he was joining the pack. "Never been in front of a crowd, but I think I can handle it."

"You might want to dress nicely. A polo and khakis will do, but you’ll be expected to give a small speech. I'll be right there to make sure you're comfy."

Well, that's gonna be a problem. "So, is this going to be inside or outside?

Puzzled by the question, Mason furrowed his brow. "Outside, why?"

Vincent caught the look of confusion on his boyfriend. "When was the last time you brought a mage into your pack?" He has no freaking clue, does he?

"It was before my term as Alpha. Are you going somewhere with this?"

"So… you don't know about the Mage's Dance?"

"Let's go with no."

Vincent snickered. "I'm surprised you don't know, big guy. It's tradition for any mage who joins a guild or a clan of sorts to perform a dance using their magic. Usually lasts three or so minutes, but it’s a spectacular sight if the mage is talented. But I'm afraid I have to cancel the speech. It's tradition for the mage to not speak on the day of the dance. Any communication has to be written."

A mischievous grin appeared on Mason’s face. "Well, I already know you're talented."

The mage's cheeks turned red. "Yeah, keep it up, and we'll see if you get any this week." Vincent noticed Mason’s pouty face and giggled, "But if you could check with someone if I need to do a dance, that'd give me some time to prepare. I've seen a couple, but never did one myself."

"I definitely want to see it, but I'll check with my council and see if it's in accordance with our pack customs. I’d prepare just in case."

Satisfied with the answer, Vincent started thinking about a routine for his performance. A few minutes later, Mason parked the truck in front of Vincent's apartment. He reached for the handle to get out, but he was grabbed before he could open the door. He turned around and received a steamy kiss from Mason.

The alpha released him and whispered, "You’re amazing. You know that?"

Infatuated by the man, Vincent stared. "How so?"

"You just are. You're taking all of this so well. I can tell you're still freaking out, but it's better than what I thought would happen."

The mage sighed, releasing some of his pent-up nervousness. "It is freaking me out, but it can't be any different than me being a shadow mage. Do you think your pack is going to take that well?"

"Do you plan on revealing your powers so soon? I would understand if you wanted to wait on that for a week or two."

Vincent's head shook in disapproval. "If I do the Mage's Dance, it’s customary to use all of the affinities that the mage possesses. Not using one is verboten, and a sign of shame in that affinity." Leaning forward, Vincent placed his hands on his knees. "I haven't told you this, but I only have two goals in life. Killing Stefan, and making the shadow affinity something to be proud of. I'm tired of these terrible people giving this power a bad reputation."

The wolf whispered, "Those are good goals, Vin. But for now, let's get you some clothes so we can get going. I didn't get to eat much, and JD's is calling my name!" Mason gave him another quick peck on the lips and got out of the cab. Stepping up to the door, Vincent fished his keys out of the oversized pocket and used them to unlock the door.

He made a bee-line for the bedroom as the shorts were falling from his waist. Grabbing a pair of folded boxers from the closet, Vincent slid them on, followed by a pair of jeans. He lifted the hoodie over his head, but saw an envelope on the bed. That… that wasn’t there when I left. Mason’s sweatshirt fell from his fingers as he approached the stationery.

Bile swirled in his stomach. The cursive letters spelling ‘Little Vinnie’ gave him unsettling vibes. He shivered. N-no…

“Coming in! Hope you found some clothes… Vin?” Before he could turn, Mason appeared at his side. “What’s that?”

"Mace. He…" Vincent's hand trembled as he struggled to articulate his emotions. "He was here."

He flinched at Mason’s growl. "What did he leave behind?"

Vincent couldn't find the power to open the letter. The envelope felt evil in his hands. The cursive letters kept stabbing him in the heart, making him feel like a failure for not ending the murderer already. He couldn't cry in sadness. He couldn't shout in anger. Vincent could only look at it.

"We can open it. Together."

The sea of turmoil was replaced by an ocean of peace as Vincent felt the bigger man behind him. He looked up to see the man's golden irises. He's angry too. But he's not letting it control him. Returning his attention to the letter, he nodded. I need to read it.

Mason shifted a finger into a sharp claw and tore the opening seam. The mage couldn’t believe the unnatural transformation that happened before him. I… I’ll ask him about that later. Vincent exhaled, refocused on the envelope, and opened the flap. Inside was a small journal paper. The two men read together in silence.

Dearest Little Vinnie,

My, you've grown! You were but a sweet boy. Now, you are il signore. A man in your own right. I heard a whisper you arrived in a little town hidden in the bluegrass, and had to confirm. Forgive my intrusion, but my curiosity got the better of me.

I hear you've become an adept mage. Congratulations are in order! At the risk of being hypocritical, I will say I'm proud of you. I know of your goal to exact revenge, and I honor that. There is an old proverb here in Italy. Aspetta il momento e il luogo per vendicarti, perché non è mai fatto bene in fretta. I will leave it you to translate .

One day, we will meet. But my time is short and I must say arrivederci. Please give my best to the Alpha and his wife. It was a pleasure to meet her all of those years ago. I recognize that she will not take it well, but it was a true experience in my life.

Ciao. SG.

"That smug, arrogant bastard!"

Vincent could feel Mason’s body trembling behind him, but the mage kept quiet, as he could not stop reading the letter over and over again. No clues, no evil intentions. He's the bane of my existence, but the letter was sincere. No doubt about it. He looked up at his boyfriend, seeking some sort of comfort. The letter must refer to his parents. Lei knows Stefan? And Mason's mom, too? That means Stefan must have been to Owensville before!

Vincent set the letter down on the mattress and spoke first. "Mace, do you know if Stefan’s been here before, and if your parents know him?"

Gazing down at him, Mason sighed. "I know that my mom and Stefan had a fight. She told me when she called last night after you went to sleep. I’d imagine my Dad knows about him too, since it was an attack on his mate and pack." Mason eyed the letter once more. "Do you mind if I take the letter to my meeting with the police chief? It might be pointless, but forensics would love to see it and we can add the info to the database."

After hesitating for a moment, Vincent nodded and handed the paper over. Mason folded it and stuffed it in a back pocket. Mason led him to the bed and sat closely. "We’ll hunt him, Vincent."

Still trembling from the visit of his enemy, Vincent whispered, "Okay, but I want the letter back at some point. This is the first time he's contacted me since…" He trailed off, reverting to his dark thoughts.

Mason put an arm over his shoulder. "Give this some time. I ain’t going anywhere, so if you need someone to talk to, just let me know." The man got up and invaded the closet, pulling the few clothes Vincent had and set them on the bed. “Remind me to take you shopping. Not saying you have bad taste, but you could use a few more outfits.”

Vincent chuckled. He appreciated the man’s attempt to change the subject. He’s right. I’m not going to find him tomorrow, so I might as well be patient. He stroked a polo’s fabric with his fingertips. "Sorry, I try not to own much. Before this town, I traveled light. I'd like that very much."

"Hate to sound imposing, but I’d like to extend your stay at my place. Stefan knows where you live, so my wolf and I can't allow you to stay here any longer."

Vincent understood. Yeah, thought of that already. You need to start thinking a bit faster, big guy. "Well, if it can't be helped." He got up and embraced the lycan. "I guess I'm just going to move in with you."

Mason's eyes widened and goldened at the statement. "You… you mean that?"

The mage laughed. "You're the Alpha, right? The head honcho around here?"

"Y-yes."

"And I'm… well, you're mate?"

Anticipation clearly shook Mason to his core. "Yes."

"Well, I guess that means I'm staying in town." Vincent smiled as he nestled into his boyfriend’s chest.

His body was squeezed as Mason howled loud enough to shake the walls. Gasping for air, Vincent barely squeaked out a laugh. Guess I should get used to that.

***

Now, where did I put that darned thing? Elaine opened her jewelry box. Beautiful gold necklaces dangled from hooks, while platinum rings rested in protective slots. She was always tickled when looking at them all. Lei knew how to make his mate happy, especially when they had an argument.

But she was looking for something in particular; something she needed to find before the pack meeting. He's going to need it for his big night! Closing the lid, Elaine thought for a moment, trying to remember where she placed her treasure.

Oh, that's right! She headed to the reading room. Momentarily marveling at her collection of novels, scrolls, and ancient tomes, she grasped her trusty oak step-stool her late father had carved. Reaching for the top shelf, Elaine pushed a few books to the side to find her copy of 'The Mage's Guide to Traditional Fire Affinity Cooking.'

Holding it under her arm, she descended and took a seat in her burgundy upholstered chair. Opening the fake book, she fingered the beaded piece of jewelry inside. Yes! Have to make sure he gets this.

***

Mason waited patiently outside the closed door to Vincent's bedroom. Can't tell if he is still nervous around me, or if he did it to tease me. Just as his thought ended, the door opened and Mason saw his man in an appealing baby blue short-sleeved button-down and faded jeans. Damn, he's cute. He also noticed the small drawstring bag that probably had his clothes and personal hygiene supplies inside. "Ready for breakfast? I don't think I can hold out any longer."

"Uh-huh!" The mage followed Mason as he left the apartment. Once Vincent had locked it, they made their way to JD's Diner.

During the drive, they shared more about each other, particularly about music taste. Both enjoyed a little bit of every genre, but each had their preferences. Mason liked old country music, as opposed to the new bro-country style. Also in the mix, he loved listening to all sorts of old rock, with him mentioning Queen and Aerosmith as examples.

Surprising Mason, Vincent was a die-hard Green Day fan. One of his few personal possessions was a CD of the Bullet in a Bible album. It always put him in a productive mood since it was a very upbeat live concert recording in Milton Keynes, England. Mason let his mate ramble on about every detail.

The conversation didn't last long, as Mason parked on Main Street. Vincent seemed confused. "What's going on?"

"I wanted to walk a bit. You know, to show off my arm candy to people in town. You okay with that?"

Vincent smiled. "Yeah. I think I can walk the big, bad alpha down the street."

"Oh, I'll show you a big, bad alpha." Mason flashed his golden eyes as he leaned in and pecked his mate's lips. The wolf smelled the blood rushing to Vincent's cheeks. They made their way out of the truck, and onto the street. Mason was swift to latch onto Vincent's hand as they strolled to the diner.

As they passed other pedestrians, Vincent’s head was on a swivel. One passing couple subtly leaned their necks as Mason nodded. He found it amusing to see the mage squirm. He’s probably not used to being treated with respect.

Vincent whispered, "Just thought of something. How am I supposed to tell if someone’s part of your pack, or just another human like me?"

"Sorry, Vin, but you won't be able to until they either bare their neck to you, or start the conversation. I don't think I need to tell you that shifters are still a secret to the world."

Vincent raised an eyebrow. "No shit. I just feel a little exposed. I can't tell who’s a shifter and who’s not."

The wolf empathized with the human’s conundrum. "I mean, it's the same with me and mages, hot stuff. If I didn't already know you, I wouldn't have known you had kickass powers."

"That's true."

Mason decided to plant a mental seed. "Well, I could always turn you into a shifter. You'd be able to smell our kind pretty easily." He smiled, disguising his intent as a joke.

Vincent laughed. "That’d be so useful! Are you even allowed to do that?"

I didn't expect him to be so blunt! "Umm… yes and no. Under normal circumstances, it’s one of the most illegal acts to turn a human. Only two reasons may nullify the law: if the human is at risk of losing their life, and, when granted permission by the local Pack Alpha, if the shifter and human have the intentions of mating."

"And with you being the Alpha? Is there a checks and balances system for that type of scenario?"

That caused Mason to turn his head in wonder. "There isn't… but there probably should be. You raised a point I may have to bring up to the Executive Council. But other than that, no. The only thing stopping me from turning you is you, my little mate."

"Okay, time out! Executive… Council?"

Mason snickered. "Yeah, Executive Council, or EC for short. It’s our government system. They help create governing laws as the times change. Just a year ago, they ended all forms of prey shapeshifter hunting."

"Gotcha. Now, how am I stopping from being turned into a shifter?"

Mason swallowed, and Vincent noticed. "Mace, no more secrets. Whatever you have to say, I can handle it"

The wolf licked his lips to moisten them. "Here, let's sit down for a minute." He pointed to a nearby bench. "I need to tell you how a human can be turned, and what it takes to become mated to a shifter, but I need you to understand there’s no turning back from either. It's a final decision once it's done."

Vincent leaned away, looking shocked. “O-okay.”

Mason scooted closer and whispered, "I'm going to tell you, and you are to take your time making a decision. Got it?"

"Yeah, got it.”

"Good. In order for a human to become a shifter, the human has to be bitten by a shifter. The bite can occur anywhere on the body, just so long as saliva enters the human bloodstream. That’s when our lycanthropy will take effect."

An understanding nod came from Vincent. "So, like in the movies?"

"Yeah, except it's real. Our lycanthropy can sometimes be fatal in humans, so it needs to be handled delicately. Most cases involve seizures and day-long coma periods. There’s always a chance of death."

Vincent closed his eyes and shivered. "Gotcha. I'd be lying if I said it’s no big deal. But, I think I can handle it."

Smelling the human’s confidence, Mason smiled. "Alright. Glad you think so. Are you ready to learn about how a shifter completes a mating bond?"

Vincent shook his head following a momentary hesitation. "Actually, not yet. I do want to know, but I need a while to think about the turning process… or whatever your culture calls it."

Mason held his mate tight. "This is your life, Vincent. You don’t have to consider being turned into a lycan. The option’s open, and it’d please my wolf to no end, but I can’t force you to make the decision." He held Vincent by the back of the neck and pressed his lips on the man's forehead.

The pair sat in relative silence, at least until Mason's stomach growled. "We’re really bad at this breakfast thing! Let's go, hot stuff." The mage hopped up and pulled the Alpha by the arm. They kept walking, proudly holding each other's hands.

A block away from the diner, Mason received a text. He pulled out his phone and saw the contact. C. Gage. Unlocking the device, the message popped up on screen.

No disrespect Alpha, but is there a human holding your hand?

Smirking at his friend's message, Mason responded. Need some peanut butter to go with your jelly?

Nah, Tasha’s enough for me. Good on ya, just wanted to make sure.

The alpha bit his cheek. He meant to talk to Dave about the subject, but the opportunity was ripe. His thumbs flew across the keyboard. Consider yourself certain. I have a proposition for you if you’re free for the next couple hours?

Mason waited a few seconds longer than expected but was content with the response. I am now. How can I help?

I'll text you during breakfast, stick around.

Yes, alpha.

Satisfied with the exchange, he looked down to see Vincent staring. Mason grinned and put his phone away. "Pack business." Resuming their walk, he plotted. Partially the truth…

***

Breakfast flew by for the duo. Vincent had a difficult time believing how much food Mason packed away. He ate a whole fourteen-ounce steak, a huge omelet, six pancakes, and a whole plate of hash browns! Hell, I lost count how many strips of bacon he ate! In comparison, what Vincent ordered resembled a bird’s meal.

A few bacon strips were set on Vincent’s plate. “What’s that for?”

Munching on his own, Mason smirked. “You look like you could use the protein.”

“I’m getting pretty full,” Vincent protested.

“Really? Figured after your magic overload last night you’d be starving.”

The mage couldn’t argue and took the offering. They rested for a while, enjoying each other’s company. Vincent saw Mason thumbing his phone every so often, but chalked it up to him being a leader in a secretive community. After a snort from the alpha, Vincent couldn’t help but ask, “Important business?”

“Yes and no.” Mason gave the human a lookover before setting the device down. “You mind helping me with a particular pack matter?”

"I mean, I don't know how qualified I am but sure."

"I've been contemplating promoting one of the members to a position on my personal council, and I need to see if he's up to the task."

Vincent nodded. "Gotcha. What do you need me to do?"

The big wolf leaned forward and whispered, "How fast can you run?"

***

After listening to Mason’s plan, Vincent agreed to it. Seems like too much fun to pass up!

"So, on the way back, I need to stop in at one of the stores to inform the owner of a pack issue. You mind waiting outside for me? Or you can walk back to the truck."

"Sounds cool."

"Cool. I'll text him we're on the way." Mason left enough cash for the bill, plus a sizable tip for the waitress. Holding hands, they left the diner. They walked a block, and Mason stopped in front of an upscale pawn shop. "I'll only be a couple minutes. If anyone gives you trouble, text me and I'll be right out." He pecked Vincent on the lips and entered.

Vincent stood outside, letting his mind wander about what kind of issue may be involved. After a few seconds, the mage felt he was being watched, but did his best to ignore it. Curiosity took over, and he scanned the street for who might be stalking him.

Nope… not them. Who is it?

Vincent's gaze came to rest on a man across the street, sitting on a bench. He appeared muscular, as tall as Mason, and had blond hair that reached his shoulders. He was staring right at Vincent. Him. The mage thoughtfully averted his eyes to prevent any kind of challenge. His heart skipped a beat as the mysterious man got up and jaywalked towards him.

Gotta move. Vincent walked away, heading for the rusty truck. He snapped his fingers and brushed his hair, disguising his placement of a sight ward on the roof corner behind him. He's still following. Pulling out his phone, Vincent shot a quick text to Mason. Man following me. Looks like Leomon from Digimon. Going south.

Vincent worried when he didn't get a response. The dude's still coming! He placed his hand in his pocket and flicked a finger, moving the sight ward to follow. Vincent frantically looked for an escape, and was relieved to see a space large enough to fit into between the shops.

He took it, and as soon as he turned the corner, Vincent bolted. In the ward, he noticed the strange man picked up the pace as well. He's fast, and I can tell he's holding back. Definitely a shifter. Need another way out! The mage cursed himself for not learning more of the town's layout for escape convenience. He spotted a drainage pipe several feet ahead, leading up to the roof. Perfect!

Vincent ran towards it with every ounce of energy in his body. The ward let him see the man was gaining on him. Receiving a ding from his pocket, Vincent quickly checked the phone. On the way, following your scent.

Deciding it would hinder his speed, Vincent kept his phone out. He was about to reach the drain pipe, but was stopped when a hand clasped onto his shoulder and pulled him back. Vincent regained his footing and spun to see the man had caught him.

"Gotcha, little one." His voice was deep and suave. The mage stepped back, pressing his shoulders against the wall. He looked down and found his second out.

"Oh, don't think so, G-man…" The stalker seemed confused as Vincent stuck his foot between the legs in front of him.

Between the buildings, there was enough sunlight to create a shadow of the man. Vincent's foot landed on it, and he whisked himself behind the human-shaped obstacle. Vincent grimaced as the gutter’s shadow wasn’t connected to the flat roof’s edge. He used the inertia from speeding through the darkness and launched himself, letting his hands grip the edge. Pulling himself up, he looked down to see the man using a fire escape ladder. Damn! He’s persistent.

Getting to his feet, Vincent ran across the rooftop. Not a shadow in sight! If this becomes a foot race, I’ll—

"You have nowhere to go.”

He turned to see the stalker approaching. Vincent bit his cheek and backpedaled closer to the edge. "Now, explain yourself! The shadows, and the nickname."

Huffing, Vincent remembered his mission. If I’m caught, see what he does. "All in due time, but you still need to catch me." The mage kept walking until he reached the roof’s edge. Looking down, the pavement sat in sunlight, and it would surely break his legs. Returning his attention to the stalker, Vincent grinned. There’s enough distance between me and him. "So, what's the plan? Keep walking and I fall, or are you fast enough to catch me before that happens?"

The man halted. "I'm not gonna say don't do it, if that's what you're looking for. You got out of my grasp before, so I believe you can do the same should you fall. Either way, I'm still going after you."

Vincent furrowed his brow. Smart reasoning skills. He's not too bad. "Good theory. I was told this pack had some smart cookies in it. Why don't we play a game while you figure out how to catch me? I ask a question, then you ask. Truthful answers only. We keep going 'til either of us makes a move."

Mystery man grinned. "I like games. Why not? You first though. Who are you?"

"My name is Weslie. And not with a 'y' at the end. You?"

"Caleb. Why were you with my boss?"

"It’s part of my mission. What conditioner do you use?"

A growl echoed across the rooftop. "Garnier Sleek and Shine. What’s your mission?"

Vincent was enjoying the game. There’s not much he can do. To him, I could fall and keep running, but I think he’s smart enough to know I can vanish. "To extract information about the local wolf pack. I’ll say I find it interesting a lion like yourself is free to walk among these little doggies. How is that?"

"They gave me a home when others wouldn't. What are your intentions with my Alpha?"

Vincent’s phone vibrated. Careful not to take his eyes away from Caleb, he glanced at it. He briefly saw the message from Mason. Good.

"Love that question! Like I said, extract information, but if I could have gotten some dick in the process, that would’ve been nice." He's asking good questions. "Can I see your lion?"

Folding his arms, Caleb grunted, "No. What organization do you work for?"

Didn't expect that one. Think! "Good questions you're asking, Caleb. I work for the Bureau of Shadow Assassins." Vincent winked and gave a three-finger salute. "Also known as the BSA." A snort escaped Caleb's nostrils. Oh come on, that was funny! "How do you spell Weslie?

The lion trembled as he shouted, "That's a trick question!"

"Well, you have one shot."

"W, E, S, L, E, Y." When Vincent didn't say anything, he continued. "How do you move in the shadows?"

Vincent was actually impressed. He pays close attention to detail. "I'm a shadow mage. I can use them with my magic." He saw the man's face contort. He's trying to figure out how to deal with that information. "Last question from me. How do you spell my name?"

"W, E, S, L, E, Y."

Once the letters left Caleb’s mouth, Vincent grinned. "Wrong. You failed. So long, Caleb." The mage leaned forward and dove from the building.

"No!" He heard the lion’s shout but the wind blowing in his ears muffled it.

Vincent was frightened, despite knowing he would be fine.

With a strained grunt, he landed in Mason's arms.

The alpha appeared unfazed, catching a human falling from an incredible height. "Do me a favor. No more jumping off buildings."

Vincent laughed, "Why? Already did it once this morning, and it turned out alright."

"Alpha!” A shout from the roof caught both of their attention. “What the hell’s going on?"

Mason bellowed, "Come on down! I'll explain everything."

Vincent watched as the lion stepped back, grumbling under his breath. The man jumped. Vincent was immediately concerned for Caleb's safety. He'll break his legs! Caleb hit the ground and tumbled forward, his boots skidding on the ground and stopping his momentum. The mage lost his mind! Holy crap! That looked just like they do in the movies! "Hey! Are you okay?"

Caleb rose and gave the two men a stare that could kill. "You two start explaining yourselves. Mace, what are you doing with an assassin?"

Mason nearly fell over, holding his sides laughing, and turned to Vincent. "Did you seriously tell him you were an assassin?"

"Yeah! You said make up a convincing backstory, and I did! I’d be a great assassin! I even said I worked for the Bureau of Shadow Assassins and was here to collect information on your pack."

Mason fell to the ground, howling at the comedy gold Vincent came up with. Caleb, on the other hand, looked like he was getting the picture. "Alright, since he can't talk, what’s going on Weslie?”

"Wa-wait. Weslie?" Mason wheezed.

Walking over to Caleb, Vincent chuckled. The lion seemed apprehensive, but let him get closer. "You really don't recognize me?"

"Am I supposed to?" Caleb squinted his eyes, focusing on him.

Vincent was prepared for this. Well, it has been a while. "Last time I saw you, you were my height. Weslie isn't my real name. Hate to tease you, but I won't tell you what it is. I want you to remember."

Caleb folded his arms. "Any other clues, kid?"

"Well, I'm not a kid. We're actually the same age. And I wasn't lying about my involvement with the BSA." Vincent gave another wink and three-finger salute.

The lion’s eyes shot open and arms fell limp. Suddenly, Caleb roared and rushed at Vincent, picking him up. “No freaking way!” Caleb carried Vincent around, twirling in pure excitement. “Vincent, you little fucker!”

The grip encompassing him was tight! Vincent squeaked, “Can you let go of me? I can’t breathe!”

"Nope! Not a chance in hell! I haven't seen you in over fifteen years!" Caleb set him down and stared in wonder. "What the hell are you doing here?"

Mason finally composed himself. "I'm surprised you haven't figured that out yet, Caleb." The lion turned his head in confusion, so the alpha gave a hint by inhaling noisily.

Caleb sniffed Vincent. "Alpha? Is he your…"

"Yep, and better yet; he's my destined."

"My gods, destined? Like, truly meant for each other?" Vincent and Mason both nodded as the wolf caressed the mage’s waist. "You guys, congratulations! I can't believe all of this." Caleb quickly dropped his joyful demeanor and crossed his arms. "Who came up with this little cat-and-mouse game?"

Vincent was quick to point a finger at Mason, prompting the lion to give a death-stare. "Do I need to sic Tasha on you, Mace?"

Mason waved his hands out as if he was scared. "Oh, no, that won't be necessary. I promise it was for a good reason, and it wasn't just so you could see Vincent again."

With his arms locked in place, Caleb gave a questioning hum. "Right, and what would that be?"

Mason’s smile vanished as the alpha became expressionless. "I needed to test you as a pack member. I gave you an unexpected mission, and you followed it. You came across the target, and followed him. It could’ve been a little more stealthy, but I didn't need to test you on that. Given an opportunity, you excelled at gathering information." The alpha clapped his hand onto Caleb's shoulder. "When he escaped, you continued the chase. That shows determination, and that’s what I need at my side."

"Your side?"

"Caleb Gage." Mason's voice became the center of attention. Caleb stood straight, almost at attention. "You’ve shown exemplary skill and ambition in the name of the Owensville County Pack. As Alpha, I hereby name you Pack Enforcer. You’re to guard your Alpha, his mate, and any of those by my side with your life. You’ll be officially sworn in at this weekend's meeting before the pack council and our fellow brethren.

"Do you accept the role and the responsibilities that come with it?"

Copyright © 2020 astone2292; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 39
  • Love 51
  • Haha 5
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

OMFG! I am away right now. I will write my proper comment when I return home, later this week. I could't resist and not read it straight away. SO very glad I did. That was frikkin awesome 😁

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment
6 hours ago, Buz said:

OMFG! I am away right now. I will write my proper comment when I return home, later this week. I could't resist and not read it straight away. SO very glad I did. That was frikkin awesome 😁

Buz! I just woke up, my hair's a mess, and your comment is the first thing I see. My day is already made! I'm always excited to read your comments! And you better get home quick...I've been typing Chapter 7 faster than any other one so far! It might be done by the end of this week...

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Ok looooove this story so far it's reminding me of another story I've read on this site and for some reason keep reading it over and over again. Keep'em coming. ( the other story is Running with the Pack). I can't wait for the next chapter.

  • Like 2
  • Love 3
Link to comment
20 minutes ago, donjr101 said:

Ok looooove this story so far it's reminding me of another story I've read on this site and for some reason keep reading it over and over again. Keep'em coming. ( the other story is Running with the Pack). I can't wait for the next chapter.

I just finished the first book of RwtP!!! It was soooooo good! I would throw some serious money to have a paperback copy! The other two books in the series are calling to be read, but I really want to focus on my book first.

Thank you so much for the comments, guys!!! 

 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator

It was a neat way for Vincent to be reunited with his childhood friend, if a bit dangerous. Vincent does have an icy dagger habit. Caleb will be an ideal protector.

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Just gets better and better.  Vincent if awfully accepting of everything that is being thrown at him.  I guess he really is that smitten.

And I think I'm really liking Caleb.

 

  • Love 3
Link to comment
17 minutes ago, Quixo said:

Just gets better and better.  Vincent if awfully accepting of everything that is being thrown at him.  I guess he really is that smitten.

And I think I'm really liking Caleb.

 

Vincent is smitten, but there's something else at play here. Can't quite put my finger on it though...

Oh, if you like Caleb, just wait 'til you meet his family...

  • Like 3
Link to comment

I like the game Mason set up to test Caleb and unite him with his old friend Vinnie.  Vinnie's story riddle with clues sure set Caleb up for the test and reveal.  Obviously Caleb and Mason are good friends if Mason likes to prank Caleb.  It is interesting that Vinnie is asking about being turned and not just rejecting it outright.  If Elaine is an example of what can happen, they Vinnie's powers will be much greater as a result.  The death rate of 10% is for humans, but is it the same for human Mages?

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
5 hours ago, raven1 said:

I like the game Mason set up to test Caleb and unite him with his old friend Vinnie.  Vinnie's story riddle with clues sure set Caleb up for the test and reveal.  Obviously Caleb and Mason are good friends if Mason likes to prank Caleb.  It is interesting that Vinnie is asking about being turned and not just rejecting it outright.  If Elaine is an example of what can happen, they Vinnie's powers will be much greater as a result.  The death rate of 10% is for humans, but is it the same for human Mages?

Hmm. Difference between humans and human mages. I like how your brain works, raven. I'm sure we'll find some examples of this later on in the series...

  • Love 1
Link to comment

The whole emotional roller coaster in this chapter. You get my eyes all wet and then you make me laugh out loud. Wrap it up with absolute joy reading the reunion. I have seven and a half hours of travel to the west coast tomorrow and I will be binging hard. Thrilled to take Mace and Vincent on the trip with me!

  • Love 2
Link to comment
12 minutes ago, Dan South said:

The whole emotional roller coaster in this chapter. You get my eyes all wet and then you make me laugh out loud. Wrap it up with absolute joy reading the reunion. I have seven and a half hours of travel to the west coast tomorrow and I will be binging hard. Thrilled to take Mace and Vincent on the trip with me!

I'm sure they're just as thrilled! The duo haven't gone on a road trip per say, but they do travel later on in the story. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Long lost friends unite!

Looking forward to Vincent's Mage dance. 

My stomach hurt just thinking about the amount of food Mace can put away. Oof. 

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
1 hour ago, kbois said:

My stomach hurt just thinking about the amount of food Mace can put away. Oof. 

Lol. This chapter was nothing. Just wait until chapter <redacted>.

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..