Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 1,219 Words
  • 3,551 Views
  • 13 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Home - 22. Chapter 22

So Charlie, how are the horses?”

That opened the door to a discussion on enlarging the barn for goats. I was beginning to think these boys will make a farmer of me if I wanted to be one or not. The next words out of Tom’s mouth concerned expanding the garden. That led to a discussion concerning property lines. I told them I’d get a plot of the land, and we can have it surveyed. That opens the discussion of what we could do with the extra land. Tom said we should use the land to grow oats for the horses and maybe a pasture for the cows and goats. I caught the remark about cows.

Brad said we should enlarge the barn to include space for more livestock. I had a feeling that there was a discussion on their way home as to what they could do or would like to do.

“Why not build a chicken coop with a run on some of the idle ground. You could also add a place for the pheasants. This will free up a stall in the barn.”

“We’ll need to include a place for turkeys as well. We could build several coops, with runs backing up to the right side of the barn.”

“If you increase the livestock, you’ll need more pasture land.”

“Let’s take a look at the plot diagram and see what land is available. You want to enlarge the gardens to grow oats and corn for the animals. We need to think about how we will utilize the land most efficiently.”

After saying that, I left them to think about creating a farm. I knew the boys would be in favor of enlarging what I had. They were farm boys at heart, so I couldn’t blame them.

Over Thanksgiving break, the boys talked to Dad about building sheds for the additional animals. Dad suggested a large shed separated by fencing for the different animals. By Christmas break, a design was created along with a materials list which the boys presented for my approval.

“I have no problem with this design or the plans to increase the livestock. But what happens if you boys decide to leave? I cannot take care of these animals alone. If I have to hire people, then what is the advantage of having more animals?”

“We have at least four more years of college. Tom and I want to get our Master’s degree.”

“Okay, for the next two years, we operate the expanded farm. Are you prepared to begin downsizing the farm when you receive your Bachelor’s degrees? That is the only way I would agree to what you both want to do.”

“Brad, if we get teaching jobs within this county, we could stay here and work the farm.”

These boys wanted to make this a working farm. I looked at Charlie, and he was smiling.

“Alright boys, first build the sheds for the chickens, pheasants, rabbits, and turkeys. Plow the extra acreage for corn and oats. But no more livestock.”

“Not even a goat? We can put her in the barn where we had the chickens.”

“Okay, one goat. No more than one.”

I could see the boy’s eyes light up. Charlie was laughing.

On the following Sunday, the boys told Dad what we were going to do. “Tony, you should buy a tractor if you are going to plow that area west of the barn.” Now Charlie had a smile on his face.

School resumed after the Thanksgiving break. On the weekends, the boys worked on building shreds.

Christmas break gave the boys and Charlie a chance to go shopping. I thought they were shopping for gifts turned out they were shopping for a tractor. They found a used tractor in the next county. Charlie said it was in okay shape, and he could get it running like new. They told me the cost, and I agreed for them to go ahead and buy it.

Three days before school was to start, the boys and Charlie went to bring the tractor home. I envisioned a tractor like my dad’s. This tractor was two and one-half size larger.

“Charlie, that’s a big tractor. Do we need one that large?”

“No, but the price was right. You will be able to not only plow the land, but you can also use it when the oats and corn are ready for harvesting.”

I wondered what my dad would say when he see what I bought.

By the time Spring Break was upon us, the boys had finished the sheds. I asked them what their plans were for Spring Break. One word, ‘Camping’.

The day they left, I told them no more wild animals. Charlie and I watched as they left. The following morning Charlie and I checked out the barn and the sheds. We had to brush the horses, milk the cow and collect the eggs.

“Charlier, I think the number of chickens has almost doubled. We’re going to start having more chicken for dinner.”

“Maybe we should make sausage out of a few. How many do you need for eggs?”

The boys would think that was a great idea. I wonder what Pa would think about making sausage with chicken meat.

I had been sending eggs to Uncle Angelo, and I still had too many. Mom and Dad had their chickens so that I couldn't give them any.

When the boys returned, I was glad they had no wild animals.

"I'm glad you are back and no animals?" I carefully checked them over, making sure they didn't have some animal hidden in the bags.

They laughed, "We saw a deer but decided we couldn't keep it on the farm."

I didn't tell them I had seen deer in captivity, and they were kept within a fenced area.

"Charley wants to make sausage out of chicken meat. What do you think?"

"Why do you want to do that?"

"We are overrun with chickens. We don't eat enough, and we have more eggs than we can use."

"Why don't we sell eggs?"

"Since you had initiated the raising of chickens, why don't you take it on as a project. If you are successful, I'll split the earnings with you and Tom."

A week went by when Brad and Tom at dinner one evening, "Tony, I was talking to the owner of that small cafe close to the University's campus. He said for the right price, he would buy our eggs. What do you think?"

"I think that would be okay, but you need to set a price. Go to the grocery store and see what they charge, then we'll charge ten percent less. See if he finds that acceptable. Take a dozen of eggs with you when you go to talk with them."

He had a smile on his face, and I think he may have already talked to the owner of that cafe.

The next morning Brad had two dozen of our eggs. I looked at Brad and Tom. They smiled as they left. I wasn't sure what they were going to do, but after living with them for a few years now, I trust them. So far, everything they have done was to the benefit of the farm and me.

Copyright © 2021 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 34
  • Love 19
  • Haha 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

The boys are really ambitious and hard working. My only reservation was it might be getting too big but Tony is smart and said to them to have a downsizing plan if they leave.You never know what will happen  in the future but if the boys get teaching jobs here and stay permanently that would be great. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
8 minutes ago, weinerdog said:

The boys are really ambitious and hard working. My only reservation was it might be getting too big but Tony is smart and said to them to have a downsizing plan if they leave.You never know what will happen  in the future but if the boys get teaching jobs here and stay permanently that would be great. 

Yes, that would be the best for Tony. Down sizing a farm is difficult unless you are able to sell off the animals to another farmer. Tony could always make sausage out of the animals except the horses.

  • Like 5
Link to comment

I'll have a dozen eggs myself, want to try that egg thing that what's his name from Rome used to cook for Uncle Lucinius. Decided since he was born before these guys that the boys are his descendants and have the blessings of Apollo just as much. 

Absolutely love the tractor and I can see Dad nicking it at harvest time to help on his farm. Goats, he needs more than one goat because then he can make the cheese for the house to save money. Really becoming a working farm now because of the boys, possibly something that his grandparents were never able to do.

It will be interesting to see exactly what land is made available by knowing where the plot of the property lies. I'll bet there is considerably more that he thinks because this must have been a working property when the King bastard son came over and lived there originally. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Great chapter, so we now have an almost fully established farm , and we can now start making money from the farm

  • Like 3
Link to comment
9 hours ago, weinerdog said:

The boys are really ambitious and hard working. My only reservation was it might be getting too big but Tony is smart and said to them to have a downsizing plan if they leave.You never know what will happen  in the future but if the boys get teaching jobs here and stay permanently that would be great. 

I think Tony is trying to be realistic. The chances of the boys getting a job in the area is probably fairly good if they are willing to travel.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
8 hours ago, drsawzall said:

Only one goat??? It may get lonely!!😁

One female goat will provide enough milk for at least one cheese a week. Who knows the goatt they buy may be pregnant 

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
7 hours ago, Kev said:

I'll have a dozen eggs myself, want to try that egg thing that what's his name from Rome used to cook for Uncle Lucinius. Decided since he was born before these guys that the boys are his descendants and have the blessings of Apollo just as much. 

Absolutely love the tractor and I can see Dad nicking it at harvest time to help on his farm. Goats, he needs more than one goat because then he can make the cheese for the house to save money. Really becoming a working farm now because of the boys, possibly something that his grandparents were never able to do.

It will be interesting to see exactly what land is made available by knowing where the plot of the property lies. I'll bet there is considerably more that he thinks because this must have been a working property when the King bastard son came over and lived there originally. 

I think Tony spoke to his mom and she told him where to go. I think it is a rather large. They must have grown feed for the  horses who pulled the carriage.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
4 hours ago, mikedup said:

Great chapter, so we now have an almost fully established farm , and we can now start making money from the farm

I hope they are profitable, for the boy's sake. They will need some sort of income

  • Like 3
Link to comment
3 hours ago, chris191070 said:

The guys have got there farm

Yes, the only fly in the boy's ointment, are their parents.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
33 minutes ago, plass110 said:

this is a very good story. I think that farm is becoming a real business.

Thank you for your kind words. Yes, the farm is becoming a business thanks to the small grocery store and the cafe at the University.

  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..