Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 1,052 Words
  • 2,575 Views
  • 12 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Home - 30. Chapter 30

The next two days, I spent the time getting to know Amalia’s family. Her brother was 18 and interested in America. “When you have a chance, you must come and see me.”

“Tony, don’t be surprised if he wants to go back with you.”

“That would be okay, but doesn’t he have school?”

“He will start at the University next year. Now he works on Grandfather’s goat farm.” That was said in English. I looked at her as if to say, why English. “He’s learning English, so I speak to him in English as much as possible.”

After lunch, Amalia and her brother, Amado, showed me the church and the park. They pointed to significant buildings or historical sites as we walked around the city. Amalia showed me the baker. It was the first floor of a building I took for more apartments. It certainly didn’t look like a bakery back home, with no glass windows or signs. If you didn’t know it was a bakery, you would think it is just part of the building.

While we walked, Amado wanted to know about America and where I lived. “Amado, let’s talk to your parents, and maybe you could come home with me. Then when Amalia comes for Christmas, you can go home with her.”

I looked at Amalia to be sure I hadn’t spoken out turn. “Amo, we will talk to Momma and Papa when we go home.”

The night before we were to leave to go home, I helped Amado to pack. He was excited to be going to America. I made sure he had his passport. Amalia told him to enjoy his stay and to try and learn some English.

The flight home was enjoyable, Amado had many questions, and between Mom and I, we tried to answer them all. We also taught him some words in English. He would say something in Italian, and we would say it in English. I taught him to say, I am sorry, I don’t speak English. He repeated it several times, except I don’t speak English became, I no speak English.

He was an inquisitive young man. He had many questions, and I got the impression he must have made a list when he knew he was coming home with us.

Arriving home, passing through customs, and there were the boys and Dad. Mom went and greeted them while I introduced Amado to the boys and Dad. I chuckled when he said, “Sorry, I no speak English.”

Somehow, we squeezed into the Chevy, and Brad drove us home. Mom and Dad would stay the night and go home in the morning. Arriving at the house, I expected to see Charlie.

“Brad, where is Charlie?”

“He is at Dad’s. Since Dad was spending the last two days with us, Charlie went and stayed at Dad’s place.”

I caught the use of Dad when referring to my dad. It seems the boys have accepted Mom and Dad as theirs. It was Tom who whispered to me that they had adopted new parents. I just smiled.

Arriving at home, I showed Amado his room. The boys had dinner ready, and it was chicken, mixed vegetables, and a salad. I asked who cooked the chicken, and Tom said they did. They cooked the chicken like they cooked the birds they found when they camped.

I smiled and was glad they could be independent. After dinner, I told Mom and Dad to stay, and one of us would run them home in the morning.

I gave Amado a tour, and he noticed the books in the Library. “These are the journals of my ancestors who lived here. They are written in Italian. If you would like to read one, you can, but you must do it in this room.” I got a smile.

Walking into my office, “This is my office, and the painting is of my grandfather who came to America in 1817.”

Amado looks at the painting, and he remarked upon seeing a painting similar to that at a small museum. He looked closely and then he noticed the ring and my ring. “The ring has a crest on it. Do you know whose crest it is?”

“It is the crest of Carignano. Do you know who Carignano’s were?”

“No”

“Maybe while you are here, you can search the books in the Library and find out.”

“He smiled as we headed back to the kitchen where Mom, Dad, and the boys were drinking coffee.”

Mom asked Amado if he was okay. Amado smiled and said he was looking forward to reading the history of this house.

“I’m going to turn in, Mom, Dad, you know where you will be sleeping. Amado, I showed you your bedroom, so I’ll see you in the morning for breakfast.” Saying goodnight, I went to bed.

That night I told my visitors about my trip and bringing Amado home for his first visit to America. Pa smiled, and I got a kiss on the cheek from Nonna. My other grandfathers waved and smiled. I usually don’t see all of them every night, but I do see Nonna and Pa every night.

I was up at my usual time, dressed, I headed for the kitchen. I expected to find Mom, but it was just me. I started the coffee, got the eggs ready to fry, and brought up a couple of strings of sausage. As I was pouring myself a cup of coffee, Mom walked in.

“I expected to find you here when I came down this morning.”

“I think the excitement and the trip wore me out a little.” Saying that, she started to cook the sausages. I began to toast the bread and break the eggs into a bowl for scrambled eggs.

I was never sure what wakes everyone up, but the smells of cooking and coffee seem to announce that breakfast was ready. Tom came in and asked if he could help. I gave him the toast to butter and to make more. Dad and Brad came and got a cup of coffee. Amado struggled in, still a little sleepy.

“Brad can you and Tom take Amado with you this morning and give him a tour while I take Mom and Dad home.” So that was the plan.

Copyright © 2021 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 35
  • Love 21
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Great chapter, I think that he could become a permanent fixture on the farm ,he is going to get an eye opener when he reads the history, 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
11 hours ago, weinerdog said:

If Amado wants to see America they are going to have to take him to places like New York etc. could be fun

There are a lot of places he should go if he wants to "see" America. Brad and Tom will take him camping. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
11 hours ago, chris191070 said:

Amado will like the farm, i think we'll soon see some 🐐 goats.

I think you are right. Brad and Tom already have mentioned it and now three for. one undecided

  • Like 5
Link to comment
10 hours ago, Kev said:

Definitely goats... He'll move over after the wedding and teach the boys to raise goats, but first I think we will find out more about the house and the family as he discovers the royal heritage. I'm just wondering if tony realizes what he is doing letting the boy read the journals. 

 

Amado will become part of the family. I think Tony would let Brad and Tom read the books if they knew Italian. 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
10 hours ago, drsawzall said:

Yay!!! Goats!!! And welcome to the farm Amado!

The next two days, I spent the time getting to know Amalia’s family. Her brother was 18 and interested in America. “When you have a chance, you must come and see me.”

“Tony, don’t be surprised if he wants to go back with you.”

“That would be okay, but doesn’t he have school?”

“He will start at the University next year. Now he works on Grandfather’s goat farm.” That was said in English. I looked at her as if to say, why English. “He’s learning English, so I speak to him in English as much as possible.”

Yes the odds are betting there will be goats or at least one, maybe two

  • Like 5
Link to comment
7 hours ago, mikedup said:

Great chapter, I think that he could become a permanent fixture on the farm ,he is going to get an eye opener when he reads the history, 

I suspect he will have a new respect for Tony and the family. 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..